Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Hee, hee, you'll do the same when you watch the agony and ecstasy of the next guy who paints a screen for the first time.

Talk about agony, not so much ecstasy, YET After a couple of weeks working on this screen(directly on the wall) this has been quite an experience. My first attempt ended with being able to see flaws in the wall that weren`t obvious until the SF was up and an image was projected on the screen. After skimming, sanding down twice and putting on about a dozen coats of primer, sprayed, including rolling one coat with a 6" velvet roller and then a bunch of coats of SF again i thought i still had a spot that was going to give me a problem I was about to throw in the towel.

Got home today to try it out. I hooked up my pj and blu-ray and threw in Ironman. The bright desert scenes in the beginnning of this disc is where i found my earlier flaws, also alot of texture/orange peel.

Well, this time was much better! First, the bad spot on the wall(screen)was gone and so was the orange peel. Still some texture, but not so much as to be a deal breaker. Also, apparently the texture will soften some with curing. I did see some dark spots. patterns really that i tracked down to needing a little more paint. Going to give it another coat or two, whatever it takes.

The picture looks really good at this point. Good color and detail, but i am used to a panny v10 plasma, and this pj will never look that good. I barely know how to use my pj(Panny 4k) yet, so i`m sure once i get it up and running for awhile i`ll get it dialed in. Hell, i can`t even get the picture lined up H/V within my screen size(128" scope screen i really have to learn to work this thing.

Anyway, this is actually an abbreviated version of my SF screen adventure. I went through two Wagner CS then switched to a DD. I made several trips(1 hr each way) to Michael`s and Hobby Lobby, and HD also. I hope to get this done and then trimmed out this weekend and then i`ll get some pics up.

Thanks MM for your help. Not sure if i want to buy you a beer or kick you in the shin for getting me into this I`ll let you know in a couple of weeks.

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I'm an old Semi-Pro Soccer Player (circa 1972 Indianapolis) so my shins can take whatever you dish out. My stomach is more particular though...so if you do get warm & fuzzy....you better steel your wool and ante up for some decent Brew!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #33 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Some pics. I plan to do posts in the HT Build Thread and Some Pics in the SXRD 181 Owners Thread. But ya'll get the first peeks.

The screen wall to be: L-R Mains are Klipsch Lascalas. Center is a DIY Lascala that I shortened to allow for screen size.

Attachment 182713

Screen wall, flat brown:
Attachment 182714

Sample of UP on flat brown wall:
Attachment 182715

LG SXRD 181 PJ w/DIY Mount. Cable run along wood beam. Rear surround in background is a Klipsch Academy also on DIY Platform.
Attachment 182716
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #34 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Screen: SF 2 117" 16:9
Attachment 182720

Screen Shot: Ambient Light with bare light bulbs up front. Fixture will be changed out for a track light hidden by the beam up front and dimmable.

Attachment 182721

Screen Shot: Rear Ambient Light

Attachment 182722

Screen Shot: Bat Cave Mode
Attachment 182723

Screen Shot: Zoom in with rear ambient light.

Attachment 182724
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #35 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Zoomed in Bat Cave Dark:

Attachment 182727

Floating Component Rack. Door to be added.
Attachment 182728

Vinyl Record Storage, again floating.
Attachment 182729

Misc. shots. Tough to get crisp shot during action scenes.
Attachment 182730

Misc shots.
Attachment 182731
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #36 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Misc shot, great color.
Attachment 182732

Dark shot
Attachment 182733

I liked this image. I'm not sure my camera shows how great/sharp the graphics on the HUD appear.
Attachment 182734

lots of contrast.
Attachment 182735
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #37 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Cool colors. I don't think my camera gives this still a good shot. The floating seeds actually have more light than this screen shot reveals.
Attachment 182737

Liked the detail of this closing credits shot
Attachment 182736

After no posting of pics, I probably overdid it. I'm just really happy with the results.
LL
LL
post #38 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I'm an old Semi-Pro Soccer Player (circa 1972 Indianapolis) so my shins can take whatever you dish out. My stomach is more particular though...so if you do get warm & fuzzy....you better steel your wool and ante up for some decent Brew!

Next major project up here in Francis will be a garage/workshop addition. I'll have room and facilities in the workshop for doing some home brew again. Ifn ya ever get out west here, yer welcome to have a sample or six
post #39 of 42 Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

I probably overdid it. I'm just really happy with the results.

Great images. Excellent color. You will now have years of enjoyment, UNTIL you want to go to a bigger screen.. I went from 100" to 120", to a 144" over the span of 15 years. (Also going from CRT to DLP). Each time was a newer and better experience.
post #40 of 42 Old 08-10-2010, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Great images. Excellent color. You will now have years of enjoyment, UNTIL you want to go to a bigger screen.. I went from 100" to 120", to a 144" over the span of 15 years. (Also going from CRT to DLP). Each time was a newer and better experience.

Uhmm..... You did look at the screen and the wall and, oh yeah, the speakers that will NOT be replaced. With no plans of moving as this is our 'retirement' house, I see little chance of a bigger screen. The pj could handle a lot larger screen. With the wall pretty much covered, larger isn't a real option.
post #41 of 42 Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

The pj could handle a lot larger screen. With the wall pretty much covered, larger isn't a real option.

Are you kidding, you have another foot or so to the corner allowing about another 15" of diagonal. Then shorten your Lascala more, and shift the speakers around the corner. Or shift the whole screen around the corner and shift your projector and seating position.

I'm just messin' with ya. I was "told" by my wife that I could NOT have a bigger screen. The ceiling wasn't high enough, we had big upright speakers on either side. Well I had to to some keystoning and the speakers are not tipped over on the floor under the screen, etc. And well the IMAX effect is overwhelming.

Never say never...hee,hee
post #42 of 42 Old 08-10-2010, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As with most things, the most important thing to know is when to quit.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page