Painting textured drywall for a screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey gang. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Epson 8500UB, and I'm thinking of painting my viewing wall to maximize the bang for the buck. I reviewed the painting FAQ here, and I must say I'm quite impressed at the level of detail and organization. Thanks!

I had a few questions. First, the details. The wall is 110" diagonal, throw distance is around 14 feet. There can be a good deal of ambient light due to an opened room and some windows, etc. Black-out blinds aren't an option, so if the moon is bright, there is some ambient light. I kind of like being able to see where my beer is anyway. I don't bother watching during the day so it works out for me.

Oh, and the wall is textured (spackled) drywall. Since I'm way too lazy to put up a screen, sanding the wall down is totally off the radar! Besides, I've been using a 10-year old project for years on the wall in its current incarnation, with light blue/white paint, so anything will be perceived as a huge upgrade.

According to a review on Projector Central, this PJ can put out 637 lumens in calibrated THX mode, and 1602 to 1835 lumens in its more insanely bright modes.

So given the rough texture of the wall, the ambient light, the size of the image, and the lumens of the projector, I have come up with this:

* Behr Premium Plus Interior Flat #1050
* ~N8 tinted
* Buy a $60 Wagner Control Spray for even spraying
* Put a bunch of coats on to mitigate the texture of the wall

What do you guys think? Also, in the painting FAQ that shows comparisons of gray and white paints, there was mention of polyurethane and silver metallic addition to the paint and it seemed to be like a no-brainer to make these additions, but I couldn't find any info on this in the FAQ. Can someone please clarify what these additions are, etc?

Thanks a bunch!
-Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
You don't want to sand down the wall anyway. You smooth it out by skimming joint compound in layers to get the wall smooth. Some sanding, some skimming. You can project on to the wall as is. I did that for a while and I thought it was pretty good. Once you smooth out the wall and paint the screen, Wow. If you don't smooth out the wall, any paint that increases your ambient light performance is going to cause problems with the texture. Lots of paint is not going to mitigate that...

Folks on here with FAR more expertise than I will give you better, specific, advice I'm sure. But the basics are here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[URL=http://
post #3 of 4 Old 07-15-2010, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

You smooth it out by skimming joint compound in layers to get the wall smooth ... if you don't smooth out the wall, any paint that increases your ambient light performance is going to cause problems with the texture. Lots of paint is not going to mitigate that...

Thanks. I'm definitely not going to smooth out the wall! Some years ago, I came across a sheet of Designer White that I was planning to use as a screen, but after comparing projecting onto it and the bare wall, the difference wasn't quite enough to justify figuring out how to hang flat a piece of plastic that wants nothing more than to roll up.

Perhaps reducing the image to 100" and using Do-able is the next easiest thing - thought it's white, and I'm trying to help the ambient light situation out some.

-Jeff
post #4 of 4 Old 07-16-2010, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
If you're not set on painting the wall, then yeah, there's a number of inexpensive products like do-able and Sintra that you could paint. Peruse the threads here and you'll find lots of ideas. Check out the Light Fusion threads! Good luck!

[URL=http://
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page