borderless wilson art DW screen - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen one member's build of a DIY screen that didn't use any black borders. I was wondering if anyone has done the same and did a build thread or took pictures. Thinking of creating something similar but using 80/20 frames I saw on another thread. I'm curious if the vertical support frames of the 80/20 shows up through the DW.

My wall is painted black and I can also rig some velvet panels behind the screen edges only where any light spill might occurr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My screen was done that way and supported away from the wall. If your wall is behind at some distance the image will appear to float in the room.

Member Tiddler did a thread on making an attached boarder that is behind the screen rather than in front. That never took hold as I don't think most understood the concept that well. Do a search on his threads and you will find it.

If you do one post some photos and your thoughts on how it worked.

Bud

post #3 of 4 Old 08-12-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if it was Tiddler's thread I saw it in but the floating screen effect is kind of what I'm trying to go for plus I don't have to do mess with the border on screen. If it's on the wall then it doesn't have to be as perfect.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've never been one to understand the "need" for borders if the screen and projector are aligned/sized correctly. My DW has no borders and is trimmed flush to the framing underneath; 2x4s with the screen on the flat. With the French cleat used for hanging, that puts about 3" between the screen and the wall, but I've never seen any light transmission through the DW. My walls are a really deep forest green so any light spill from the projector is completely absorbed as far as I can tell.

-Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section