Why only two pages in this thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I'm just curious as to why there are only two pages in this thread? I'm sure there are more posts, but I can't find them. Do I have something set wrong in my preferences?

I'm interested in DIY AT screens, but I hate to start posting questions if they've been answered repeatedly already.

Thx!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
At the bottom of the DIY Screen Section page there is the Display Options area where you can set your preferences. Set it to Beginning to see all the threads.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #3 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post

At the bottom of the DIY Screen Section page there is the Display Options area where you can set your preferences. Set it to Beginning to see all the threads.

Aha! That's more like it. Thanks for the tip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Suggest this thread be made a Sticky Thread
post #5 of 11 Old 08-13-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1940 View Post

Suggest this thread be made a Sticky Thread

Not sure if you're joking or not, but I've been checking this thread for a while wondering why no one else was interested in AT screens

post #6 of 11 Old 08-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Not sure if you're joking or not, but I've been checking this thread for a while wondering why no one else was interested in AT screens

No, I really wasn't kidding as I had the same question as you did. I think this thread should be made a sticky so that anyone who has the same problem can quickly find the solution.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 223
There is a Thread called "New cheap DIY screen"
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1174153

....that can address your issue.....because it's the only "AT" screen that is strictly "DIY" and that works effectively without any noticeable "Frequency Combing". That would be the ones made from Stretched Spandex. One could say the original SMX Screen was DIY because it's main component...the Cloth, was not originally intended to be used a a "Screen". (...as one could also say...neither was Black Out Cloth...) and wowed people because without trying or meaning too, it's acoustically transparent properties rivaled or surpassed the actual Screen competition's performance specs.. And the image looked very good...as far as compared to most other Mfg AT Screens.

To my knowledge, no one is as of yet marketing "Spandex Screens" so it lies wholly within the DIY genre. Really though....only a few as of yet have gone down that road specifically looking for AT attributes. The material itself, when a White, Gray or Metallic Silver or Pearl, all can produce stunning images...most can work also as Rear Projection Screens, and...let's not forget...the Lightly stretched Spandex's porous, thin Weave....with a tighter "surface hole pattern wise" than a Mfg. AT Screen's Weave or Hole pattern, let's sound pass through virtually unrestricted, much as Dark or White opaque Speaker Grill Cloth does. Just a LOT bigger. That same tight weave has a better reflective quotient than a Perforated Screen, and lacks the "Weaved" Screen's tendency for Moire issues.

BTW...what Thread are both of you referring to? J_P_A, you provided no link. The Title I see for this Thread is "Why only two pages in this thread?"

Not much there to work with either since I see only 6 posts, the oldest being yesterday at 12:51 pm.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #8 of 11 Old 08-14-2010, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

There is a Thread called "New cheap DIY screen"
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1174153

BTW...what Thread are both of you referring to? J_P_A, you provided no link. The Title I see for this Thread is "Why only two pages in this thread?"

Not much there to work with either since I see only 6 posts, the oldest being yesterday at 12:51 pm.

OK, J_P_A made a small mistake in nomenclature. He should have titled his post and new thread as "Why only two pages in this Sub-Forum". I didn't catch the error as I was having the same problem and, apparently, neither did Adult Beverage when he posted the solution.

Hope this clear up the confusion.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-14-2010, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

and that works effectively without any noticeable "Frequency Combing"

and wowed people because without trying or meaning too, it's acoustically transparent properties rivaled or surpassed the actual Screen competition's performance specs..

let's sound pass through virtually unrestricted, much as Dark or White opaque Speaker Grill Cloth does.

ok i cant' stand it anymore... i see you say these types of things all over this forum, but i've never seen you post a single bit of proof. have you ever done any actual measurements, or can you provide links to any data from those who have, which would back up your statements? i don't necessarily doubt it, as i have samples of several different types of spandex, as well as a centerstage xd sample, and some burlap from diy acoustic treatments i did, and all seem about the same with the "breathe through" test, which is supposedly a rudimentary test of AT-ness. but i also feel that if someone is going to consistently state something as fact, they should have some proof to back it up, and whether i doubt it or not, i almost never 100% believe something until i see proof.

if you don't have proof, well then i guess i'll be the one to either confirm or refute. i've already got decently reliable full spectrum measurement gear that i use for other things (mobile pre and emm-6) sans mic stand which will be arriving next week. once that gets here, i was already intending to do some measurements of all the supposedly AT materials i have and see how they compare in my particular environment. i'll be sure to post results as soon as i have them.

post #10 of 11 Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info, I was actually just trying to figure out why I could only find two pages of posts in this sub-forum (as frank1940 pointed out). I figured there had to be more about AT screens here than that. I wanted to make sure I used the good 'ol search before asking many questions. I didn't want to be the guy that repeats a question for the thousandth time rather that doing a search.

With that said, I appreciate the post. I read through Sandman's build thread quite a while ago. That's what got me interested in this. I was a little dissapointed when I came back recently to find that he had removed quite a bit of the information he had originally posted. I understand why, but still a bit dissapointed. So I thought I would see what else is currently available for DIYers.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolootbs View Post

ok i cant' stand it anymore... i see you say these types of things all over this forum, but i've never seen you post a single bit of proof. have you ever done any actual measurements, or can you provide links to any data from those who have, which would back up your statements? i don't necessarily doubt it, as i have samples of several different types of spandex, as well as a centerstage xd sample, and some burlap from diy acoustic treatments i did, and all seem about the same with the "breathe through" test, which is supposedly a rudimentary test of AT-ness. but i also feel that if someone is going to consistently state something as fact, they should have some proof to back it up, and whether i doubt it or not, i almost never 100% believe something until i see proof.

Such experience should also govern your own assumptions...as they may be, but not tend to make you feel obliged to jump out and in with a post that starts out like this one did. I myself have been involved with A/V for 32 years and LONG before AT screens were even something to be considered, spandex was used to replace worn Speaker grill cloth, and it was effectively tested as far back as 1974 by none other than Julian Hirsch in DB magazine.

While you might not be old enough to even have heard of him...or that magazine, I am...I have...and I recall that the outcome of the testing showed that basic Spandex was a "better' material than 95% of all such used. Of course much that was used was indeed akin to a rough weave such as Burlap. (...mostly for cosmetics to match "Wood Grain' speaker cabinet designs...)

So although I personally have done no such testing, I do in fact speak from a acquired knowledge that obviously transcends your own. Just as my experience having produced hundreds of DIY Screens in tandem with about every PJ out there allows me to make statements about performance that are more definitive that others can...or would dare to. I can reason out that the same results showed as facts a full 36 years ago for use in Grill Cloth Speaker applications will stand up as being just as valid & true as far as the use as a AT Screen material.

I see your comments as only an echo of the same type of baited commentary that a relative few others tend to offer, because they seem to take pleasure at disputing anything someone posts that is not accompanied by a White paper.

Be advised that on this DIY Forum we practice a bit more congenial form of intercourse these days, and those who are prone to do otherwise either have left, or have mitigated their responses with a more courteous discourse.

Quote:

if you don't have proof, well then i guess i'll be the one to either confirm or refute. i've already got decently reliable full spectrum measurement gear that i use for other things (mobile pre and emm-6) sans mic stand which will be arriving next week. once that gets here, i was already intending to do some measurements of all the supposedly AT materials i have and see how they compare in my particular environment. i'll be sure to post results as soon as i have them.

Then you should/ or should have done exactly that, then come on either with a conformation...or loaded for Bear with a rebuttal when...and if such was justified.

THAT you intended to do so, and in lue of that, asking a simple question such as "Can you point to any verifiable AT tests made on Spandex?" should have been the extent of your initial response, instead of posting what was both a semi-derogatory expression of your "I can't stand it anymore..." directed at me...and not the material in question.

So please, do go right ahead and contribute to....not detract from the atmosphere of sharing this Forum is all about. I think it would be wonderful for you to add some accurate information to supplement the assumption that spandex will serve as a very viable AT Screen application. For certain if such is validated to the satisfaction of those who tend to doubt, it will mean a VERY significant savings over any such Mfg offering.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page