Help please with screen material and paint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-06-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to find the right screen option. I've spent some hours reading on this forum. MMan and others: can't believe the time you spend helping others... it's awesome.
So I thought it'd be time to try my luck. So here's my situation:
- Recently got my hands on a well priced JVC HD100 (RS2?)
- Dedicated room (3rd floor of my rented house)
- Can get to pitch dark (only 1 small window to block) BUT light blue paint on walls, white ceilings, beige carpet aaaaaaarg!
- Sitting a bit over 9 feet from screen. Projecting around 12 feet from screen.

I'm in a rental house for 1 or 2 years and haven't been able to convince the landlord to re-paint the room yet. But I'm hopeful! And I have a pretty tight budget.

I would like to get as big a screen as comfortably possible.

I'm thinking that maybe I should make my screen and project on the unpainted material for a short time until I can convince the landlord to paint the walls dark, and then paint the screen material with the perfect MMan-recommended formula!
What's the best material to get? I'm seeing a lot of people who opt for Sintra. I'm in NC by the way. (I'm thinking of going with maybe 100 wide if possible)
Should I just paint right now or will the unpainted material give a good enough picture for a short time?

Thanks in advance. Really glad I found this site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-06-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benix View Post

Trying to find the right screen option. I’ve spent some hours reading on this forum. MMan and others: can't believe the time you spend helping others... it's awesome.
So I thought it’d be time to try my luck. So here’s my situation:
- Recently got my hands on a well priced JVC HD100 (RS2?)

Way to go! Great purchase. Great things to look forward to!

Quote:

- Dedicated room (3rd floor of my rented house)
- Can get to pitch dark (only 1 small window to block) BUT… light blue paint on walls, white ceilings, beige carpet… aaaaaaarg!

The single most worrisome surface will be the Ceiling. You not talking about a huge screen....so it doesn't have to be hung close to the Ceiling, so until you can get permission to paint, you'll do OK.

Quote:

- Sitting a bit over 9 feet from screen. Projecting around 12 feet from screen.

Quote:

I would like to get as big a screen as comfortably possible.

With the JVC...much is possible. From a 9' seating location, a almost 9' "WIDE" is a big as can be suggested (60" x 106" = 122" @ 1:1 Distance to Width) 8' is absolutely OK. (96" x 54" = 110" ) A 10' x 5' sheet of Sintra allows for either size. Be certain the provider of the Sintra does the cutting for you as they can cut it perfectly squared diagonally.

Quote:

I’m thinking that maybe I should make my screen and project on the unpainted material for a short time until I can convince the landlord to paint the walls dark, and then paint the screen material with the perfect MMan-recommended formula!

If you paint it now.....you can use a Formula that will mitigate the Room's effect, yet also benefit the PJs attributes later when the room is more ideally colored. The only reason to wait is really because you feel it unnecessary to worry about it. That would be in error...if for no other reason that if you simply were forbidden to paint, you'd have to have a Gray anyway to make things "Mo Bedder".

Quote:

What’s the best material to get? I’m seeing a lot of people who opt for Sintra. I’m in NC by the way. (I’m thinking of going with maybe 100” wide if possible…)

Sintra would be a great choice. And lucky you....the Home Base for Piedmont Plastic is in Charlotte, NC...w/branches in Raleigh & Greensboro
http://www.piedmontplastics.com/locations.asp

Quote:

Should I just paint right now or will the unpainted material give a good enough picture for a short time?

Either way....it's gonna be fun. As I said before though....painting the Screen is what matters most, because any of the applications suggested will work to combat the effects of Room-induced reflection of both ambient and projected light.

Let's say you opt for the biggest screen possible...the 122"er. (...and you will...of course... ) It's 60" high. If the top of the Screen is mounted 18"" down from the Ceiling in a 8' high room, that leaves the Bottom of the Screen 18" off the Floor. That's perfectly OK as long as you only have 1 Row of seats, and in fact, that positioning will create a extremely immersive effect.

Quote:

Thanks in advance. Really glad I found this site…

We are glad your joining us. Let's get'ter dun!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 11 Old 11-07-2010, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Paint it is then! I'm getting excited now.

And Piedmont Plastics Raleigh's location is 15 minutes from my house... and 2 blocks from my office! So I'll save on shipping.

Should I just get this, which you recommeded in another post, or do you recommend a lower power one for a spray newbie:
http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

Given my projector and room set-up, which paint formula do you recommend? (And you're right, I'll go for the 122" )

Do I need to prime this material, or should I just go for several layers with the sprayer?

Thanks much for the great advice.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Get that sprayer while you can. The Wagner Double Duty is the next best choice if the Original Control Spray cannot be found. The "No Name'er" has a smaller Tip that when combined with the greater output will allow for a finer finish to be applied using thinner paint.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 11 Old 11-07-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Sprayer ordered.

Your response about the Wilson Art DW in the other post now makes me hesitate between Sintra and Wilson Art... Based on a few posts, the WA does seem a bit of a pain to keep flat. Does the Sintra need anything on the back, or is it rigid enough to be directly fixed to a wall with screws?

Thanks,

Ben
post #6 of 11 Old 11-07-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Sprayer ordered.

Your response about the Wilson Art DW in the other post now makes me hesitate between Sintra and Wilson Art... Based on a few posts, the WA does seem a bit of a pain to keep flat. Does the Sintra need anything on the back, or is it rigid enough to be directly fixed to a wall with screws?

Thanks,

Ben

It will lay flat as easily as you could ever hope for it too...which would be very easily....which it does.

However, if your planning to Screw it to the Wall, the size of viewable area will necessarily have to be reduced by at least 2"- 3" x 2 horizontally and vertically.

You have to cover up any screws that go directly through the Board.

The Trim can of course easily oblige that need. If you start out with a 120" x60" Sintra, You have to be sly to maximize screen area. To wit, you must screw AND Glue.

Here's how ya do it.
  • First, have the Board cut to 112.5" x 60"
  • Make sure you get the 60" x 7.5" Scraps
  • Depending on your circumstance, you'll use either Elastomeric Adhesive Caulk, or Liquid Nails to adhere strategic locations to the Wall.
  • The screen location (bottom edge and R & L edges) is laid out / marked.
  • After ripping one 60" by 3.75" piec of scrap in two pieces lengthwise, you screw tje two pieces to the Wall aligned with the horizontal line marking the Screen's bottom edge.
  • Be sure to trim one piece to 52.25" so you can have the entire marked line edged with the Sintra Scrap, but together when placed correctly, you'll ave 1/4" inside the 112.5" width.
  • So now you apply a patter of adhesive-something along a centered Area across the width of the Screen.
  • Place the bottom edge of the sheet of Sintra up onto the Sintra scrap "ledge",
  • Be certain the outside edges (bottom corners) of the Sintra are within the marked vertical lines at each end.
  • Pressing inward at low center first, apply pressure outward and evenly in all directions until you reach the edges.
  • Pressure-smooth out the center.
  • So now you place 4 screws at each side, 1" in from the Edge and at 2" - 20" - 40" - 58"
  • Duplicate the bottom 2.5" x 112" "Edge at the top marked line
  • Now you can overlay the 2.5" "edge" with 3.25" x 3/8" Black Velvet wrapped "Mitered Cornered " MDF Base Trim
  • Attach the "Mitered Cornered " Trim by driving 2" Bright Finish Nails through the Tim and into, through the Sintra.
  • Set the nails using a small tipped Nail Set tool.

Now you have a well supported/Backed Screen, with secure Trim, and a full 60" 106", 122" diagonal 16:9 Screen.

I could almost cry......

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 11 Old 11-07-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Reads like poetry really.

There's just a little tiny problem... (He's gonna kill me.) I guess I should have mentioned that the screen actually won't be against the wall...
The wall is not high enough before the slanted ceiling starts. I have to have the screen about 2 feet off the wall to have it at the right height. Otherwise it would almost touch the floor. Hopefully your tutorial will serve others trying to find out how to mount a Sintra board.

So in my situation, I was thinking of using 4 brackets to hold the screen 2 feet from the wall. So, if the Sintra isn't glued to the wall and just somewhat held by the 4 brackets, will it stay flat or do I need to build a MDF frame or back?

Your last message seems to stick to Sintra instead of Wilson Art so I assume that you think it is better in my set-up?

Thanks, and sorry for all these questions. Just want to get it right the first time!
post #8 of 11 Old 11-07-2010, 07:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Reads like poetry really.

There's just a little tiny problem... (He's gonna kill me.) I guess I should have mentioned that the screen actually won't be against the wall...

Yeah....what he said.

Quote:

So in my situation, I was thinking of using 4 brackets to hold the screen 2 feet from the wall. So, if the Sintra isn't glued to the wall and just somewhat held by the 4 brackets, will it stay flat or do I need to build a MDF frame or back?

I'd sandwich the Screen between 2 matching but reversed pieces of the Trim.

Front Wrapped.... Rear Raw

Quote:

Your last message seems to stick to Sintra instead of Wilson Art so I assume that you think it is better in my set-up?

WA-DW as far as the best White surface...Sintra for a good surface and future paint-ability but lower cost due to no need for a extensive Frame work.

Quote:

Thanks, and sorry for all these questions. Just want to get it right the first time!

Zat so......? We alrighty then.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #9 of 11 Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Back to this project after a few days of brutal work...

Projector received. Sprayer received. Sintra ordered. Now I'm trying to find out what's the best paint formula based on my situation described above...

... And they are so many mixes out there, it's mind boggling!
S-I-L-V-E-R, RS-MaxxMudd, Silver Fire, and dozens of others. After hours of reading, I'm wondering whether some version of RS-MaxxMudd would be best, but I haven't found any thread comparing it to the other formulas.

So I am again going to refer to the advice of the allmighty.
What's the best mix for my JVC projector and set-up to get the best results?

2nd questions: I am, like many others, doing the whole mix and spraying thing for the first time. In an effort to not screw this up and write back in here in complete panic, I was trying to find some sort of tutorial about getting the mix ready and spraying. I did find the videos from MMan. (Great way to see how fast and how to spray. I can try to mimmic that.) Didn't find anything on how to get the mix ready. Can you point me to a good post on that or is it too simple to worry about?

Again, many thanks for the help.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Rs-MaxxMudd "Standard" if the lighting is well controlled but occasionally present. Silver Fire 2.0 / 3.0 if ambient light will be an issue.

Mixing RS-MaxxMudd is simplicity personified. Silver Fire is too, if your simply precise in your measuring.

I sent you a PM w/Phone # in case you want to call for real time advice before/during painting.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #11 of 11 Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

That's awesome MMan. Thanks. I might take you up on your offer!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page