My screen thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 85 Old 11-18-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK.. I'm going in full bore. With the SPRAY GUN...

Bought this gun http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html as recomended..

My Epson 8350 will be 11' 6'' from my screen and seating will be right under projector....

I'm planning on mounting the projector and projecting on my Skim Coated Sheetrock to see just how big a screen I'm comfortable with given my 82'' Ceiling height... I'm thinking It will be 92'' - 98''... 102'' would leave me 16 inches at top and bottom and might be doable at Max.

My basement is light controlled. NO windows and My primary viewing will be FOOTBALL with some lights on with lights nearest the screen off all on dimmers.

From all that I believe my choice should be:

RS-MaxxMudd (for moderate ambient light)
16 oz. Delta Pearl Metallic #02601
12 oz. Delta Silver Metallic #02603
4 oz. Folk Art Champagne Metallic Gold #675
7 oz. UPW flat
16 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin finish
12 oz. distilled/tap water**

As Per MM I will Blue tape 2" larger than my screen size before spraying and then I found the thread for wrapping the Felt on MDF Here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...218&highlight=

That's what I have so far, I'm at least a week out till spraying and I have to look for the step by step spray instructions again....

Do I Spray the Primer? Zinzer?

I think I'm having some anxiety issues here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 11-18-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You can roll primer, but spray is probably better to avoid roller marks. A good quality white flat primer will work fine.
post #3 of 85 Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post
You can roll primer, but spray is probably better to avoid roller marks. A good quality white flat primer will work fine.

Thanks!!!!

Does everyone agree that this is the right mix for me?

Then I grabbed this: (do you lightly sand in between each?) Not the last coat right?

BRIEF SPRAYING INSTRUCTIONS...

Quote:
this mix is very 'wet' and you'll want your spraying motion to be fairly rapid and also watch for runs.

the 1st coat is what i call the 'frost coating'. basically in a very rapid motion you'll lightly apply a 'frost' coat across the entire board. the purpose of this is to give the full coat that is to follow something to adhere to... and to prevent runs. let this frost coat dry for 15/20 minutes.

the 2nd coat is a full coat. after applying... step back... and see if there are any 'soft' spots. lightly 'feather spray' the soft spots. and then let dry for 45 minutes.

the 3rd coat is also a full coat. after applying... again, step back, and see if there are any soft spots... and 'feather spray' only those.

let dry for a least 1/2 a day before viewing.
it'll take a week or more to cure and show it's full potential.
post #4 of 85 Old 11-18-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
That is basically the same mix I used on my 144" BOC screen--works great. Yes lightly sand to get the nibs off, but do not sand the last coat! The other steps make good sense. Try a trial run on a piece of cardboard first to get the amount of motion and distance from the screen you need to avoid runs, yet get a nice wet even finish.
post #5 of 85 Old 11-19-2010, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Man, I must be putting 3+ hours a day into reading threads here.

Looks like Shags thread is incredibly helpful and similar to my set up
http://72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1281287

That said, I do worry.. and I did run it by MM but, I set my Proj. Mount into the ceiling thinking it would be nicer flush but, i'm worried now about the light hitting off the ceiling being that my ceiling height is so low at 82''....

I'll definitely be going Dark and Flat paint on that ceiling... Looking at Blue?greys.

I'm tossing around ideas between adding some wood above my mount to bring it down at least a few inches and just buying a whole new mount that I can adjust to a good 4'' plus below my ceiling -

* I guess I can install it with what I have now and buy the Chief Mount at a later date IF need be....

Funny but, when I started this whole thing I was worried that 84'' would be too big and I was reluctantly shooting for 92''... NOW, I'm getting nervous that I won't be able to go past 100''....

I just gotta get to that point where I can shoot something on the wall... umm, well, you know
post #6 of 85 Old 11-19-2010, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

... Unless anyone thinks the projector mounted maybe 1" below the ceiling just won't work.
post #7 of 85 Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Still reading.......

From MM in the Shag thread
Quote:
Grrrrr.. You call 'em and ask why they did not tell you they could order/drop ship both items from Chief/Peerless for you. Then after they apologize request a return Tag and send that piece of junk back. Really, you don't want it...you could do better, and if it wasn't the price that made the difference, I assure you you will be gloriously happier with a dedicated Mount and the almost infinite adjust-ability of the RPA unit. You have more than enough time between now and when the Painting is done so don't fudge here, nor allow whoever you dealt with to snooker you into something that is a substandard solution for your needs and this PJ.

Can you tell I'm distraught?

That leads me to believe that maybe I should just order this thing now and have "almost infinite adjust-ability" later.....

If MM was THAT distraught, I mean.
post #8 of 85 Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Set the PJ up at 13' to 14' to utilize all the potential Lumens. Mount it with about 6" space between the Ceiling and the Top of the PJ using a Chief RPA "PJ Specific" mount (RPA-168 http://www.chiefmfg.com/productdetai...ProductID=4158 if your getting the Epson 8350, which you should. ) and Peerless Ceiling Plate. ( http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-Indus.../dp/B000BITSTA ) with a 1-1/2" diameter 2" Threaded Nipple between them. Route all your Video / AC through the center of the Mount. You can get both through V/A or PP

HMMM.... I ordered the Chief mount RPA 168 thru V/A... Now the Ceiling plate????

I don't see how I'm going to be able to route the wired thru this since my Ceiling plate will be screwed directly to a 2x6.

That's ok if it's true.....

So, let me get this straight.. I just buy a 1.5'' threaded pip for whatever length I want????

Of course audiovisual wanted to sell me a Universal mount and their ceiling plate.....

So, I'm going to Amazon to order a PEERLESS Ceiling plate..... Hope I got the right one - that link and model number differed - one was a square plate which I ordered but, the link sent me to a round one which I didn't order.

Deep Breaths...

Also - Are you telling me you actually have to spin the whole projector around X amount of times to mount it? ok.
post #9 of 85 Old 11-19-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expertmech View Post

OK.. I'm going in full bore. With the SPRAY GUN...

Bought this gun http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html as recomended..

Is this the one recommended by MississippiMan? If so I may grab the sprayer while I await some suggestions and direction in the thread I just started.
post #10 of 85 Old 11-19-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspursfan View Post

Is this the one recommended by MississippiMan? If so I may grab the sprayer while I await some suggestions and direction in the thread I just started.

Yes it was....

I just wonder if there are some subtle differences when it comes to technique and paint thickness with this unit.

I do have some cabinets and doors I'm going to paint beforehand to perfect my technique.
post #11 of 85 Old 11-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Yes it was....

I just wonder if there are some subtle differences when it comes to technique and paint thickness with this unit.

I do have some cabinets and doors I'm going to paint beforehand to perfect my technique.

I just ordered this too. Looking forward to using it!
post #12 of 85 Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Yes it was....

It should actually be a bit easier to use due to it's not tossing out nearly as much paint volume. getting to know what level of viscosity allows the paint & gun to produce a even, free flowing pattern with no sputtering or surging is the Key.

When assembling the nozzles on both Guns, every part MUST be seated to prevent uneven air intrusion.

Have doubts? A Question? Haul up short and PM me and I'll provide a Tel.# for real time advice.

Ask first...Squirt later

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #13 of 85 Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

STILL READING....

I actually have a ton of stuff in the b asement still going on.. Spackling, Taping, hanging cabinets, researching Audio....

But, thru some more reading... Am I to understand that:

1) I should Primer my wall with 2 Dusters and then 3 coats of Grey Primer - To find and fix any blemishes

and then:

2) Primer my wall with UPW Flat White primer 2 Dusters and 3 coats

then:

3) 2 Dusters and 3 coats of the Maxmudd

I'm skim coating the wall - if I inspect real well can I skip the grey primer - I gather you need WHITE primer as a base underneath this Mamudd mix.
post #14 of 85 Old 11-25-2010, 06:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

STILL READING....

I actually have a ton of stuff in the b asement still going on.. Spackling, Taping, hanging cabinets, researching Audio....

But, thru some more reading... Am I to understand that:

1) I should Primer my wall with 2 Dusters and then 3 coats of Grey Primer - To find and fix any blemishes

and then:

2) Primer my wall with UPW Flat White primer 2 Dusters and 3 coats

then:

3) 2 Dusters and 3 coats of the Maxmudd

I'm skim coating the wall - if I inspect real well can I skip the grey primer - I gather you need WHITE primer as a base underneath this Mamudd mix.

You can skip ahead, but once you put up the Finish paint, any little blemish will jump out atcha. Then you still must go back and repair, reprime, repaint.

A white base is essential for reflecting light that is absorbed into the surface coating, the latter being very translucent in nature.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #15 of 85 Old 11-25-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still skim coating that wall... I decided to have my buddy who is painting the whole basement, to roll primer on that wall as well.. Then I will correct any blemishes and spray with the White....

Thanks and HAPPY THANKSGIVING.... I still have time, I'll try to get some pics up soon!!
post #16 of 85 Old 11-26-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

HMMM.... I ordered the Chief mount RPA 168 thru V/A... Now the Ceiling plate????

I don't see how I'm going to be able to route the wired thru this since my Ceiling plate will be screwed directly to a 2x6.

That's ok if it's true.....

Do you have attic or available space above the ceiling? (...oops, silly me. It's a Basement. However if there is a carpeted Floor above , myself I'd open up the Floor underneath the carpet, install a 12" x 12" x 3/4" Plywood blocking (wood glued in place) on the inside of the Sheet Rock above the Ceiling mount, drill a 1.5" hole through the Block, and simply screw the Ceiling plate on the ceiling uo and into the Plywood. Replace the small square of flooring, and re-stretch the carpet, and have that clean look that is so very cool.

With that Flat Plate, you could also install it inside the ceiling in such a manner that the Treaded Pipe would come down through the hole by itself to joining up with the RPA for an even cleaner look...and one that I will do whenever possible.

Of course I have no compunction about ripping, tearing, and cutting into people's houses. I love it in fact. I'm just always sure to make things look pristine and original afterward.

Quote:
So, let me get this straight.. I just buy a 1.5'' threaded pip for whatever length I want????

Of course audiovisual wanted to sell me a Universal mount and their ceiling plate.....

So, I'm going to Amazon to order a PEERLESS Ceiling plate..... Hope I got the right one - that link and model number differed - one was a square plate which I ordered but, the link sent me to a round one which I didn't order.

Deep Breaths...

Might'n better suck in a biggun' and hold it. Send me a link for that Plate. Th "Square" plates I know of are all really heavy, thick steel...very "Industrial" looking, intended for use with extremely heavy PJs

Quote:
Also - Are you telling me you actually have to spin the whole projector around X amount of times to mount it? ok.

How cute.

No...with the RPA dedicated PJ Plate in place attached to the PJ, and the RPA "Threaded Mount" already "screwed onto" the Drop pipe, you simply just slide the PJ onto/into the provided slots and tighten down the screws.

What I wanna, need'ta know is why you did not order the specified Ceiling plate? I found it on "A'Zon" and FleaBay easily enough, and it's always available via my Homies "Kirk" @ Projector People and Gloria @ VA?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #17 of 85 Old 11-26-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm good on the mount part.... I've got a 2x6 solidly framed right in that box in my ceiling. I will just make a cover when I'm done with a hole for the pipe and 2 small holes for the power and HDMI

post #18 of 85 Old 11-26-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

And this is my Screen Wall with one skim coat.

I'll clean up a bit and coat it again tomorrow...

post #19 of 85 Old 11-26-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

What I wanna, need'ta know is why you did not order the specified Ceiling plate? I found it on "A'Zon" and FleaBay easily enough, and it's always available via my Homies "Kirk" @ Projector People and Gloria @ VA?

When you hover over that link you provided that I copied above for the mount it shows what I guess is now a random Peerless mount which I thought was THE ONE...

Probably doesn't matter for me, I think my wires will all work better more towards the rear of the projector anyway coming out of a cover I will make and paint the color of the ceiling...

When I called VA they wanted to sell me a mount for $100 + that was an option for the Chief Mount..

I think I'm Good.... It's the painting part that will probably bug me out..

That's after I figure out a million other things and yeah, at this point I realize my Speaker wires are too high but, I don't care.

My big thing right now is the floor and what to do.
post #20 of 85 Old 11-27-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

When you hover over that link you provided that I copied above for the mount it shows what I guess is now a random Peerless mount which I thought was THE ONE...

Gotta check that out. Sorry if the link muddied things up.

Quote:

When I called VA they wanted to sell me a mount for $100 + that was an option for the Chief Mount..

Unless you ask for the referenced parts and do so to the suggested People, the common Reps will ALWAYS try to sell you something they "know" about. Gloria knows the Drill, and has serviced my needs many times.

(...don't even go there....she's a nice Girl.)

Quote:

I think I'm Good.... It's the painting part that will probably bug me out..

That's after I figure out a million other things and yeah, at this point I realize my Speaker wires are too high but, I don't care.

My big thing right now is the floor and what to do.

Wassup wit all dat "floor" stuff?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #21 of 85 Old 11-28-2010, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Wassup wit all dat "floor" stuff?

Man, I am GREATLY overestimating how much I can get done in a day with a Toddler around and a Wife's To-Do list which apparently does not include anything to do with the basement.

I just can't wait to see this thing fired up.

I might have to just start working though the night.
post #22 of 85 Old 11-28-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Man, I am GREATLY overestimating how much I can get done in a day with a Toddler around and a Wife's To-Do list which apparently does not include anything to do with the basement.

I just can't wait to see this thing fired up.

I might have to just start working though the night.

Why not? I seem to always have to myself. At least you "Get'ter dun" and then you can settle back and recover in style.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #23 of 85 Old 11-30-2010, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

ALRIGHTY..... Mess is almost clean. Toddler is still Sick as it seems they all are right now..

Sprayer arrived yesterday. Chief Mount scheduled for tomorrow.

Sheetrock and whole room is about to be primered.

Anxiety setting in.

I'm going to roll the screen wall with a grey primer sometime this week / weekend.

* Questions - Any primer will do right? I'll probably have to water it down?

I'm going to spray just a few light coats of primer just enough to see defects that I can spackle / Sand and fix up....

THEN... The "fun" Begins.....

It will probably take me a while to set everything up and mount the projector and get an image going - I'll probably try to steal the wire and box from upstairs for now since I don't want to have to deal with calling verizon and running through their set up in the middle of all "this".

Maybe I can be set up to spray Primer on Saturday 1st thing.

If all is good Can I spray a Flat White base an hour after that? A few coats.

Then Maybe Start Spraying Maxmudd the next day?
post #24 of 85 Old 12-01-2010, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

I keep reading different options for the base coat.... Sometimes I read Kilz Primer and then sometimes I read people using a Gloss white...

Seems like that is a pretty big difference?

I was planning on using the Kilz over the Grey primer I'll use to find and fix any issues but Damn, my wall is looking pretty slick
post #25 of 85 Old 12-01-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

MM.. Hate to be a pain.. Believe me, I've read threads for months...

But, I'm going to roll on a grey primer on my sheetrock wall with a 3/16 nap.... For the entire wall before I shoot my picture.

Then i wanted mask off my screen and "practice" spraying with the Kilz primer.. as my "base Coat" Correct?

That's oil based right? Is there any problem cleaning and then going to water based for MaxMudd? Is there an issue with the spray gun? OR the wall?

any time I spray I want 1 duster 1st and then 3+ "coats"
post #26 of 85 Old 12-01-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ok.. I see it now.. Premium Kilz WATER BASED PRIMER....

Sometimes I just need a place to sort this all out....

Thanks for the PM of encouragement MM!!!!!
post #27 of 85 Old 12-03-2010, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Got Everything except a Squerrel Case mixer and one flavor that Michaels was out -f - Will hit another store...

Wall is painted grey - maybe 1 slight indent that we will cover up and re prime....

Next is mounting the projector and shooting an image.... Looked at the Verizon wires and it's a little more complicated than I thought -Might just pick up a Blue Ray since I want to project a little more than a test screen for comparisons on this gray wall....

Oh, also couldn't find a 1.5 inch threaded pipe at Home Depot around 6''....

Still more shopping.
post #28 of 85 Old 12-04-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Whew.. Still no painting

Got the projector hung.. Took a little while.. Thanks goodness for all the adjustments on the Chief Mount. I probably could have gone to 5'' pipe but, I'll keep it as is and hope that 1'' helps just a little in countering ceiling reflection.

So far I got the Pattern test on the wall to what looks like 106'' and it looks pretty good size wise... Again, funny I started thinking 84'' would be too big..

We'll see I needed to get another coax cable and hopefully get a stronger Fios signal and maybe get something better projected tonight after the tree is up and everyone is sleeping. FOOTBALL on the wall tomorow - OH MY!!!!!

MAYBE tape off and spray some white primer tomorow

I can hear MM in my head saying "GET R DONE"...

I really wanted to clean all the dust before I hung thr projector...

HD run tonight - 1 Christmas Tree and 1 Squrrel cage mixer.
post #29 of 85 Old 12-04-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

OH

MY

GOD

IT'S ALIVE

Man, this is really the 1st time I've seen a projector in a home. Close up. and I didn't want to leave it... I didn't want to leave even for a beer. Or bathroom.

So at 12 ft throw I had the screen +100 and I can't see dialing it down that much at this point... W O W!!!!!! I started off thinking 84''.

The wall is very dark right now and I can actually see maybe roller marks...

I need to get better pics somehow. I'll try again for the games tomorrow..

Thinking I may hold off screen painting till the MNF game at this point.

.. and hook up some temporary sound. I'll gladly listen to the radio for MNF.

J E T S!!!!
post #30 of 85 Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

I was just watching that game. I didn't think the Oakies were ever going to get going.....then they tied it up in one quarter.

Looks like you took that screen shot using a flash. I'd say that Gray paint is doing some toward ambient light, eh?

That RPA Mount looks pretty clean...no?

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page