New basement, Epson 8350, and Silver Fire 3.0 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 139 Old 12-07-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That pretty much sums it up. I'll post my progress here with pics and try to include some links to things I find helpful. Probably a lot of requests for help as well.

So, let's get right into it. 955 SF will be finished by professionals who know what the hell they're doing and they began today. Here's the layout:

That little nook on the top left is below the bump out in the main floor kitchen. The back wall is about 10' wide, 94" high. I think it'll make a damn fine projector screen alcove. I'll be able to go dark with the paint in there, including the ceiling, and there's actually a beam (which will be boxed in) running across the top entrance to the alcove about 10" below the ceiling that gives the entire area an almost cave-like feel. Inside will be a Silver Fire 3.0 screen, three in-wall speakers, a couple can lights that will be off if the projector is on and maybe wall sconces? Not sure on that yet.

Thoughts about a screen in an area like this? Seems good to me but I'm a noob.

Here's a before photo from the future bathroom area back towards the alcove.

Here's a google sketchup when I had planned to put a poker table there. Well, plans can change.

I'll be ceiling-mounting an Epson 8350 somewhere between 10-12' depending on how large of a screen I go with (90"-120") after some testing later during the build process. I'm going with a sprayed on Silver Fire 3.0 screen for ambient light performance, thanks to MM for the rec. I want to make sure I have good viewability for sports etc while entertaining guests and/or poker tournaments. I think Silver Fire 3.0 coupled with careful painting in the alcove and careful lighting design can make this happen (looking for advice here as well.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Picked up the 8350 at BestBuy and had them price match Amazon.com when they had them at $1089.99 thanksgiving weekend. Not the best deal, but good enough for me.

Bought this sprayer, per MM's recommendation.

Bought up some paint at Michaels, Home Depot, and the Liquitex Matt colors here.

I'll post pics of all of it when it's all here to make sure I got the right stuff before I begin...
post #3 of 139 Old 12-07-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Day one: It's alive!!

Here's a direct shot of the alcove area showing the back wall and 45 degree angled walls.
post #4 of 139 Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Hi!

Well....a raw room. That's the way I love to come at 'em!

Iffin' I was you, I'd consider painting the Screen on the long wall to the left of the rendered seating in your illustration, not the staircase wall.

Three reasons:
  1. The width of the Front/Center sound stage is MUCH more conducive to creating a epic sweep of effects than trying to jam all three speakers within that short wall. Having a Theater that is wider than deep is actually more technically correct these days with multi-channel sound.
  2. If having the potential for others to view content from the adjoining area is important, the suggested screen location would be ideal. Your Seating group could be the "Room Divider" and having a 120" will make more sense as well.
  3. Using Silver Fire w/optimal PJ mount distance will keep the image looking spectacular.

Any chance you can re-route that Drain Pipe through the Noiseless Floor Joists?

A Row of 4" Eye Ball "Can" Spots (no Floods please) situated over the Seating can help keep the Screen Wall in a darkened state.
\\
The basic suggestions I've presented kinda jumped out at me the moment I viewed your drawings/ images. While they do not take into account issues/considerations you might have I know nothing about, ergonomically and performance wise, they utilize the available multi-purpose space to the best possible advantage.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 139 Old 12-12-2010, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

MM, thanks for the comments!

I won't be putting the screen on the staircase wall as I had originally planned, but I'm planning to put it back in the alcove to the top right of the drawings since I think it'll offer me a few ambient light advantages, I can paint that area (including ceiling) pretty much whatever color I want and there won't be as much direct light on it from the other end of the basement. That and the boss (wife) likes it in there better as well, so there you go.

I will be rerouting the drain pipe through the unfinished section of the basement and I'll be incorporating your lighting suggestions.. probably more questions to come on that.

Updates:
  • The sprayer arrived, looks cool and I can't wait to use it.
  • The Liquitex Matt colors were out of stock here, so I bought them here... fingers crossed that order doesn't get cancelled as well.
  • Bought the SyFabrics Black Velvet here for screen trim.

Questions:
  • I'm close to deciding on a 100" screen and I can mount the PJ as close as necessary. Should I be looking at Silver Fire 4.0 for max ambient light performance, or is the screen just too big for the Epson 8350 to go that dark? I guess I'm asking, how dark can I go?
  • Is 2/3 above, 1/3 below eye level still the recommendation for screen height?
  • Is 16 AVG fat enough for up to a 35' run to an 8 ohm speaker?
  • In a 5.1 system, what height should my front and rear channel in-wall speakers be? Front, center channel below the screen right?

Thanks to MM and all!

Updated HT alcove pic:
post #6 of 139 Old 12-13-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I'm close to deciding on a 100" screen and I can mount the PJ as close as necessary. Should I be looking at Silver Fire 4.0 for max ambient light performance, or is the screen just too big for the Epson 8350 to go that dark? I guess I'm asking, how dark can I go?

Whoa whoa whoa there. You're in a BAT CAVE and you wanna go max on the SF???? Do you plan on having spot lights on 24/7 ?!?! I'm throwing a 118 image w/ my 8350 w/ SIX windows and it's decent. I'm doing RS-Maxxmudd though and I hoping it'll be more than enough gain. I think you can cut back your SF significantly.

Also don't pre-judge your screen size. Throw an image onto an unfinished wall and mess around with your seating distance and screen size. I thought I wanted to go 100, nope, went w/ 118 instead.

Quote:
Is 2/3 above, 1/3 below eye level still the recommendation for screen height?

Yup

Quote:
Is 16 AVG fat enough for up to a 35' run to an 8 ohm speaker?

Probably, I went 14avg and I've got similar runs on 100w. I don't recall the wire getting warm. My speaker guru wanted me to go 12 but I didn't think I'd have enough room under the baseboards for 3 runs of 12g.

Quote:
In a 5.1 system, what height should my front and rear channel in-wall speakers be? Front, center channel below the screen right?

Everything should optimally be @ ear level when in the seated position. Obviously that poses a problem w/ the Center channel, so do your best or at the very least aim it at your head I've got my center on the floor, but it's angled up at my noggin.
post #7 of 139 Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 AM

And I'm w/ MM, I don't like that cubby hole angled back wall at all. 10 feet is just too tight for a big screen AND speakers.

If you're dead set on having it in that cubby hole orientation, I'd come forward (right in the pics) and hang the screen from the ceiling, but then you're wasting all the space where the wall is angled.

Red oval = screen position. Blue boxes = speakers
LL
post #8 of 139 Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

I hope you reconsider the Cubby Hole.

Your delegating the system to "Pocket Size", limiting your sound stage width, screen size, and basically downsizing to a point that myself....I'd find it all a bit too diminutive.

That side wall seems Ideal....so much so it's almost hard to visualize it not being the strongest consideration.

At 100" you can go for SF 4.0, but SF 3.0 should be easily enough if your lighting and PJ mounting considerations are addressed.

Think hard and carefully here. Impact...both visually and aurally WILL make or break the "OMG" factor. Don't overlook the results others have accomplished because of simple personal preferences. Of course it should be as YOU want it to be since it's your Theater, but just the same, YOU SHOULD want it to be all it can be....and more.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #9 of 139 Old 12-13-2010, 08:22 AM

Better idea, hang the screen on the stairwell wall, make a custom couch that utilizes the cubby
post #10 of 139 Old 12-13-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 01hawk View Post

Better idea, hang the screen on the stairwell wall, make a custom couch that utilizes the cubby

That was his first intention and it's no better a solution. A too narrow Right-Center-Left Sound Stage, and poor viewing angle from the Recreational part of the Basement unless your all the way down to the left as your facing the Wall where I feel the Screen should be placed.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #11 of 139 Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 AM

I'm a visual person

A) Back cubby wall
B) Foward of the cubby wall, hung from ceiling
C) North Wall
D) East Wall / Stair well wall
E) South Wall

Are you saying C or E? If that dang window wasn't there, I'd suggest E all day long.

post #12 of 139 Old 12-15-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm a visual person

A) Back cubby wall
B) Foward of the cubby wall, hung from ceiling
C) North Wall
D) East Wall / Stair well wall
E) South Wall

Are you saying C or E? If that dang window wasn't there, I'd suggest E all day long.

MM is voting for C. I was thinking A, but... (Now keep in mind that I've never owned a PJ, nor watched a decent one at a friend's house, and that my only real experience with a PJ at all is at work with a piece of crap in a bright conference room.)

I turned on the Epson 8350 for the first time today. Stuck it on the bar in my kitchen and projected an HD Tivo signal over component cable onto a flat beige wall in my living room with zero light control (actually with the lights full on for a bunch of that time)

My first impression: OMFG. How did I never buy one of these until now.

I no longer have any reservation about ambient light on any wall in the basement now that I know what this thing can do.

I'm thinking wall C, widen out the left and right channels as recommended, and crank this baby out to at LEAST 120". I had it sitting at 18' throw full zoom and it still looked badass at like 180" diagonal, and it basically covered the entire living room wall floor to ceiling, wall to wall.

I'm speechless. I have to go reconsider everything now...
post #13 of 139 Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 PM

As Mr. Burns would say.....

EXCELLENT!

Now you can see why I went nutso on you for wanting SF 4.0.
post #14 of 139 Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As Mr. Burns would say.....

EXCELLENT!

Now you can see why I went nutso on you for wanting SF 4.0.

You were correct sir. Sitting 12' away from a 180" screen is like being in the movie.
post #15 of 139 Old 12-15-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

My wife just told me three things.

1) Putting the screen in the alcove is a stupid idea because it needs to be WAAAY bigger than that.
2) I should just paint the entire back wall with my "special paint mix."
3) She can't wait to watch Avatar on Blu-ray now.

I think I should marry her all over again.
post #16 of 139 Old 12-15-2010, 08:03 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by develvjd- View Post

1) Putting the screen in the alcove is a stupid idea because it needs to be WAAAY bigger than that.

You might have made a few folks jealous in here

Judging from your layout, Im going to go with wall C. If your sketch is proportionate, you will be able to have the back end of the couch about at the wall where your bar area ends, and would allow for a second row if necessary! In that case, near wall E and the window, you could easily fit a pool table OR a few pinball machines!! haha project "B" as i like to call it

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 139 Old 12-15-2010, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

The only problem with wall C is that there's an access panel to a crawal space that's not on the drawing above. I'd have to mount an actual screen. I'm back to considering D. I could go 130" or a bit larger there with room for speakers, etc.

Life is full of tough decisions.
post #18 of 139 Old 12-16-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:

LOL... When I shot my projector image on the wall just for a test I called my wife down to see it and she went "Pfffffffffffffff what a giant excess"

I said..."Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yeah ISN"T IT BEAUTIFUL!!!!"

Wanna swap?
post #19 of 139 Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Is there a special "What my wife said when she saw the finished project" thread? Could be pretty comical.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #20 of 139 Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 AM

My wife doesn't 'get it'.

While she will notice a difference between shooting onto blue unprepped drywall vs a screen, I don't think she's all fired up on HT

I think she just wants the room to be back in once piece.

Oh well, I'll shall show my victories on here and gloat instead.
post #21 of 139 Old 12-16-2010, 09:17 AM

When my wife saw the 100" x 64" frame (that is slightly larger than the screen) against the wall she said "I thought it would be bigger." This is after she was the one that picked up the Sintra from the dealer and thought it was big! (In her defence she cannot visualize things, she has to actually see them. If she had seen the Sintra aainst the wall instead of stuffed in the minivan it would have been the same response I bet.)
post #22 of 139 Old 12-17-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I can't find Naphthol Crimson anywhere online. Anyone have a hyperlink or a partial tube? Everyone seems to be stocked out.
post #23 of 139 Old 12-17-2010, 01:47 PM

I just ordered from here and got it delivered promptly. I believe they may have drop shipped it from the manufacterer though.
post #24 of 139 Old 12-17-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I can't find Naphthol Crimson anywhere online. Anyone have a hyperlink or a partial tube? Everyone seems to be stocked out.

PM me if you get stymied. I probably have most the stock myself.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #25 of 139 Old 12-17-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Dammit, even dick blick himself is backordered!

MM, pm coming...
post #26 of 139 Old 12-17-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Dammit, even dick blick himself is backordered!
Dat's because I raped the inventory for 15 "Large" Tubes a couple weeks past. Well that, as well as the Blue - Green - Yellow as well. Made up just over a Gallon of Colorant.

Ain't I a stinker...........

Quote:
MM, pm coming...
Scrooge ain't got nuthin' on me!
But since ya asked nicely.........

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #27 of 139 Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

OK, a couple questions...

1) When I run cable and wire, do I need to make sure I don't run HDMI or coax near power cable? Can they cross perpindicular without introducing interference? What about coax right beside power (as this is how my contractor ran RG6 to the basement, along with the power. This RG6 will be used for internet.)

2) Any recommendations on a nice, inexpensive in-wall AV electronics cabinet? Any cool installs here I should look at?

3) Can I put a powered sub behind one sheet of drywall (under the stairs) to keep it out of sight? Will I still get decent sound from a good sub?

Thanks,
post #28 of 139 Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
OK, a couple questions...

1) When I run cable and wire, do I need to make sure I don't run HDMI or coax near power cable? Can they cross perpendicular without introducing interference?

Yes...usually that presents no issues. But...running parallel and within 6" for more than 6' can however allow the Low voltage signal to act as "amplifier in conjunction with the Wire itself being the "antenna" and pick up the 60 hz wave present in

What about coax right beside power (as this is how my contractor ran RG6 to the basement, along with the power. This RG6 will be used for internet.)

That is not only inadvisable, it's grossly wrong to do so. Cable signals are particularly sensitive to 60 hz hash. About on par with Audio Wire. Even using really good quality Quad-Shielded RG6 can be defeated by such tactics. Sounds like you had a Electrician pull that wire, because basically, they simply don't give a crap about Low Voltage, and they sure as 'ell won't bother to drill a separate succession of holes to route such wiring away from 110 runs. They cannot make money doing such "simple" stuff, so if pressed into doing so, they simply do whatever they must to make things easier and quicker, not correct. It can be so bad you'll even see them use the same holes through Studs and Top plates that they have Romex runs pulled through! Electricians doing Low Voltage pulls are the bane of Cable/Satellite/Audio Video Installers everywhere who follow behind them.

2) Any recommendations on a nice, inexpensive in-wall AV electronics cabinet? Any cool installs here I should look at?

Inexpensive? You must build it yourself to accomplish that. A Metal Pull-out / Rotating Rack will "start" at $300.00 minimum before you add shelving, face plates, or any / all the trimmings.

3) Can I put a powered sub behind one sheet of drywall (under the stairs) to keep it out of sight? Will I still get decent sound from a good sub?

No. And I'd need far more details as far as the Sub's "configuration" (firing direction-porting-etc), size, power. If you can choose a Front Loaded/Forward Firing/ Front Ported Sub Design, you could place it into a recessed opening so that it was Flush to the wall's surface...even go so far as to make a Spandex Stretched Frame to cover the opening.

But placing the Sub...any Sub within a closed area behind a solid wall is not an option. Period. End of discussion.

Thanks,
I really do hope you don't won't retract that......

BTW, the Tube is in route.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #29 of 139 Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

MM, thanks again for the info. I guess I'm scrapping that RG6 and I figured out a better spot for the sub.

Here's a rough sketch on the wall. 80" high to the bulk head and I can paint the "ceiling" there near the screen a darker color if needed, 163" wide wall. I mocked it up at 130" diag with fronts and center channel drawn to scale.

Is this too big, too cramped, too anything?

post #30 of 139 Old 12-21-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Better photo, showing bulkhead, etc:

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page