DIY frame/mount + Draper HiDef Grey? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-10-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone

Firstly what a fantastic resource this forum is ... but it can be daunting trying to find very specific information (as is the case with all large resources like this). I've done quite a lot of searching but haven't found the info I'm looking for so I figured I'd ask for some pointers in the right direction.

I've have my new PJ (Vivitek H1080FD) in my room and am reasonably happy with it as far as band for the buck (the RBE is a bit annoying but I think I can live with it). My current screen is a smaller 4:3 Screen Goo Digital Light Grey setup (I know you folks don't like Goo very much but it worked for my needs and was easy). With the new PJ I want to setup a 120" 16:9 screen and have been doing a bunch of research on how I want to proceed. I'm not really interested in going the painted route (Goo or DIY) if I can avoid it ...

I think I'd like to try doing my own frame + mount setup and use Draper HiDef Grey but I'm concerned over how to physically mount and tension this stuff. I spoke to a sales rep and can get a good price on the screen material itself but he cautioned that this type of screen material doesn't tend to do well if you do the staple/thumb tack route when mounting -- it's apparently very prone to ripping when using this approach

I hate to have to spend an extra $1000 for one of their mounting systems if I can build my own .. and it's literally over $1000 more for their cheapest fixed screen setup (that uses the exact same screen material)! ~$250 cdn shipped for the material vs. ~$1400 CDN for the same material in the Shadowbox Clarion frame! I know that a good frame is a good frame, but wow ... hoping that this might be a likely place to save some $$ and still have a really nice screen material to work with ...

Can anyone give me pointers on how best to mount and tension this stuff? I've seen quite a few of the builds here and was thinking that I'd do a "2 piece" type unit, meaning one frame to mount to and tension with, and a secondary frame to hang in front for my borders, etc. Apparently I may also be able to get some materials with grommets in them already but the price is also considerably higher and I can't get the HiDef Grey (which I've seen in the showroom with a very similar PJ and it seems like the right material for me).

Any pointers? I'm pretty handy with building things and have friends willing to help that are even better at this sort of thing than I ... so I'm less worried about being able to do the construction and more worried about ripping/splitting the screen material by not taking the right approach for mounting it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-12-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

I guess that answers that question! I've decided to move on and am likely going to pick up an Elunevision screen instead.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by darealgerk View Post

I guess that answers that question! I've decided to move on and am likely going to pick up an Elunevision screen instead.

Well ya know...sometimes it can take at least a couple of days to get a response, especially when the question asked flirts with a subject that goes counter to creating a "completely DIY" screen project, and that few on this Forum have indulged in.

Which BTW, it does seem a bit off that you had a GOO job and were satisfied, but seem not to want to consider any of the far more advanced DIY screen solutions, many of which are/will be not only superior to anything Draper or Elune Vision can offer, but a silly big amount less expensive as well.

In any case, purchasing any actual Screen material and then trying to stretch it over a Frame requires that you get a size that exceeds the Screen's actual "viewable" perimeter by 4" - 6". I don't know why the Rep stated the issues about Stapling (Tacking certainly) unless it's because that simply isn't something they ever do themselves. Done right using the proper technique and fasteners, it's gonna get the job done.

Far easier and really not nearly as expensive is getting a 5' x 10' x 1/4" Substrate and applying a highly reflective Gray coating to it.

Now that Sir.....is what DIY Screen making is really all about.
Performance + Pride + the satisfaction of having some Cheese left over to use elsewhere.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Yep I knew it wasn't a complete DIY solution I also figured that not a lot of peeps here had tried anything like that. I think the sales rep that I was dealing with was actually quite an a$$hat after having met him in person (sort of) ... I ended up driving to their location to pick up a screen that they had in stock ... but it turned out they didn't have it in stock, but it took almost an hour dealing with his lackey to actually find that out. They are an online dealer located near me that shall remain nameless .. but for some reason they change their name and web address every couple of years LOL... having dealt with them personally at their "show room" I understand why. THe lackey spent about 20 minutes trying to even get the Control4 automation system to work in order to turn on the projectors in the room ... none of which were even calibrated and one of the 3 wasn't even properly aimed at the screen.

My big issue with not doing another paint solution, especially the DIY solutions here, is the amount of time and energy it consumes. It comes down to expense vs. time spent on the project and finding the happy in-between for me. I have no interest in trying to find the appropriate paints and doing the blending -- I don't own a sprayer or paint mixer and honestly don't have time to buy either and get comfortable using them. I have a friend of a friend that does that sort of stuff and has the gear, but he's not cheap to hire and after crunching some numbers it didn't make sense to end up spending what I would have had to in order to do that..

But that said I also didn't want to spend a ton of money on a commercial screen -- or at least one that was massively overpriced. That said I do appreciate decent quality, I've worked professionally as a video editor for many years as well as having done a good bit of live video work for both concerts and corporate events and can tell the difference ... it's a vicious circle I tell ya!

My previous (still current) Goo solution was rolled on .. believe it or not you can get a decent quality rolled screen with Goo, provided you know what you're doing and use the right tools for the job

For the price of the screen I think the Elara is worth the risk. I know a couple of other people (who I worked with doing the live video stuff) that have them and gave me good feedback on them so I decided to take the plunge. If I'm very unhappy with it then I'll figure out where to go from there.

Thanks for the reply though MM
post #5 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Here are the DIY screen frame designs I plan on using....

Look here:
DIY Fabric

http://www.seymourav.com/store.asp

Here:
DIY attach screen material to frame
http://www.seymourav.com/articles/DI...FrameGallo.pdf

Here:
DIY Frame
http://www.av-outlet.com/en-us/dept_397.html
post #6 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks NicksHitachi ... if I'm unimpressed with the Elara screen I may end up going that route ... of course I may end up just using their frame too and replacing the screen material in it Their frames seem pretty nicely made.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

This is getting a bit crazed.....

First Draper...then Elune Vision, followed by links to Seymour A/V.....

'Cumon.....DIY'ers! To Arms!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #8 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

I apologize for derailing the DIY bits ... I was hoping that a DIY frame would be enough to merit posting in here Maybe not!
post #9 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darealgerk View Post

I apologize for derailing the DIY bits ... I was hoping that a DIY frame would be enough to merit posting in here Maybe not!

Maybe request the thread be moved. It really has no "home" since there is not a DIY frame/mounting thread for manufactured material. I think most of the threads like this are in the "Screens" section.

I really did not pay that much attention to the apparently very distinct difference between a DIY screen and a DIY screen using commercially made material.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't realize that it had to be 100% DIY or nothing either ... and I DID read all the rules and such .. sorry folks!
post #11 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Dont apologize, just tell MM "you were right" when you come back wanting more from your semi DIY setup, and end up applying a nice DIY solution to your very own screen while wondering, "why didnt I do this the first time!?!?"

haha, just kidding, best of luck with your build, hope you are able to find everything you need. sorry everyone in here couldnt be of more help but really it is in an area where few of us in this section dare travel. (High cost and relying on other Co.'s product)

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #12 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

You can't possibly miss the first header........it looks just like this.

DIY Screen Section Rules
Revised August 5, 2009

The DIY Screen section is for discussion of screens made from materials not originally intended for projection screen use.

That being said, we still try to help all we can, allowing that the Poster looking to build a Frame for instance, simply delete or omit mention of any specific Mfg. Fabric or the Company making it.

Neither of you are guilty of being obtuse about it...so please neither take any offense.

However...100% DIY can do it better...for less.
NicksHitachi, that goes for AT screens as well! Spandex Rules!!!

Had to toss that one in....

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #13 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

You can't possibly miss the first header........it looks just like this.

DIY Screen Section Rules
Revised August 5, 2009

The DIY Screen section is for discussion of screens made from materials not originally intended for projection screen use.

That being said, we still try to help all we can, allowing that the Poster looking to build a Frame for instance, simply delete or omit mention of any specific Mfg. Fabric or the Company making it.

Neither of you are guilty of being obtuse about it...so please neither take any offense.

However...100% DIY can do it better...for less.
NicksHitachi, that goes for AT screens as well! Spandex Rules!!!

Had to toss that one in....

MM you are right........
post #14 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

MM you are right........

How'd that happen?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #15 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Titles! That's the problem .. I don't read titles! LOL, whoops!

Well if I hate the screen at the very least I'll have a nice frame to take it to the next level with The entire price of it is still less than half of what some companies charge to upgrade their fixed frames to a nice one.

Thanks guys. If I end up going with a different substrate and painting it you can be sure I'll be back in this forum No offence taken at all MM and I apologize again for derailing things
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page