DIY Rear projection screen, need first hand tips - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-22-2011, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I need to apply a non-destructive substance to a large window that will allow me to use a digital projector (yes, in reverse!) and see the image on the other side.

I've tried the Krylon "Frosted glass" spray with fair results, but the image doesn't "pop" like I want it to. Image is blurry and the colors are muted.

I believe that I read here somewhere that parchment paper will work for a screen. Didn't work too well for me, however.

I've thought about powdering or buying powdered glass and finding a clear, removable adhesive to hold the glass in place. Thought about spraying on sugar water first then blowing the powder onto it.

I have more ideas but rather than "trial and error" them, perhaps someone has already been there, done that and been successful.

Any good ideas will be appreciated, including those ideas that haven't worked well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-22-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Sears sells a Gray Shower Curtain that works "well", but "well" ain't great.

You know, looking around locally for somebody's used "Big" RPTV, to be had for some ridiculously low price, and then scavenging the Screen from it might be a good choice.

Otherwise , there are possibilities inherent in using a White Spandex stretched over a lightweight frame.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi, just bumping this to see if you've found any solutions? I too have a similar issue that I am trying to solve. Someone actually told me thinly applied yogurt (im not kidding) would work but it didnt for me. It shows you how desperate I am tho!

Ive seen the screen goo stuff that is for sale too - has anyone actually used their rear screen coating? any results?

thanks!
matthew
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page