post #451 of 1568 Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRedhawk View Post

Finished the 4th coat - everything was looking great. Good color, texture, etc. Started the 5th and the stupid gene kicked in. Inadvertently turned the spray nozzle the wrong way and ended up doing 3 or 4 top rows of a horizontal line across itself. Think I lucked out and didn't cause any drips or runs, but its definitely thicker up top when wet.

Oh...the Horror!

Quote:

Thinking I'll do a quick duster 6th coat just to give a consistent final texture. And I used pretty much the whole contents of the bucket, which I assume means I may have put things on a little heavy.

Focus on the transition point where "Heavy" becomes normal, and work downward from there with considerable overlap.

It will take more....not less to even things out perceptably if the top area is truly a heavier coating.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1568 Old 06-03-2011, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looked at things this morning after a night of drying. There are some barely imperceptible bands along the top of the sintra to the naked eye with standard interior lighting. Think that my final quasi-duster coat did a decent job. I hope that the bands dont intensify greatly under the projected light. If so, I'll have to live with it since I used all of the paint and my HVLP sprayer just left town.
post #453 of 1568 Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 PM

Liked: 20
Hello Everybody!

First of all I'd like to thank MississipiMan for pointing me in the right direction a couple months ago about painting a screen when he suggested Silver Fire. Thank you MississipiMan!

At the moment my wife was at her last trimester of pregnancy and between work and eventually the arrival of our bundle of joy I just didn't have the time. Also,V2 didn't exist, so now looking in this section of the forum for resuming my research on the project I came across this nice surprise! I just finished reading all 16 pages and after watching what some people have done here I'm a believer!

It will take me some time to get the materials and get it done, but I have to start sometime...the important thing is to finish right?

I have an Epson 8350 and I'm very happy with it. Best value for a 1080p projector ever!! I have a small room, 9.5ft by 11ft and I am shooting an 85" image at a 106" Draper Luma. So there is quite a bunch of screen real estate that I'm not using and is preventing me from putting my wall mounted speakers a little closer together to what they should be. The projector is shelf mounted a couple inches on top of me so throw distance is pretty much seating distance.

I thought about cutting the screen to size and paint it but I'm gonna save that screen for when I move to a bigger house and use the Thrifty White Board Panel from Home Depot that some have used successfully. That way I don't have to worry about tightening the screen with a frame nor the wrinkles that I hate. I love this idea! Perhaps in the future I may even ditch the screen altogether and use a bigger board!

My father has a Wagner sprayer as well so that's covered, but what I'm not sure about is everything else that I can't buy at Home Depot. I live in Puerto Rico, so no Michael's Arts store and I have no idea of where I could get them locally. Anyone knows where I could buy them online?

Anyways, here is what the calculator from projector central says I have:

Yes, I know that I may not really have 44FL!! . If so I guess I would be blind. But Since I'm shooting from such a short distance, even using Cinema mode and bulb in ECO I have a very bright image! Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a really big LCD! So I guess I must have at least 28-30FL! My goal is to make this LCD look closer to a Panny Viera VT30 plasma The room is completely light controlled but would love also to use the PJ with some lights.

I think I should at least use a SF V2 4.0. I like the idea that it has some gain (1.2 is it?) while boosting contrast to infinity and beyond!

So what do you think PB_Maxx/MississipiMan/everybody else? What are your opinions on what I should use? Thanks in Advance.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too -Unknown
SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out HERE
post #454 of 1568 Old 06-06-2011, 03:30 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
Hello Everybody!

First of all I'd like to thank MississipiMan for pointing me in the right direction a couple months ago about painting a screen when he suggested Silver Fire. Thank you MississipiMan!

At the moment my wife was at her last trimester of pregnancy and between work and eventually the arrival of our bundle of joy I just didn't have the time. Also,V2 didn't exist, so now looking in this section of the forum for resuming my research on the project I came across this nice surprise! I just finished reading all 16 pages and after watching what some people have done here I'm a believer!

It will take me some time to get the materials and get it done, but I have to start sometime...the important thing is to finish right?

I have an Epson 8350 and I'm very happy with it. Best value for a 1080p projector ever!! I have a small room, 9.5ft by 11ft and I am shooting an 85" image at a 106" Draper Luma. So there is quite a bunch of screen real estate that I'm not using and is preventing me from putting my wall mounted speakers a little closer together to what they should be. The projector is shelf mounted a couple inches on top of me so throw distance is pretty much seating distance.

I thought about cutting the screen to size and paint it but I'm gonna save that screen for when I move to a bigger house and use the Thrifty White Board Panel from Home Depot that some have used successfully. That way I don't have to worry about tightening the screen with a frame nor the wrinkles that I hate. I love this idea! Perhaps in the future I may even ditch the screen altogether and use a bigger board!

My father has a Wagner sprayer as well so that's covered, but what I'm not sure about is everything else that I can't buy at Home Depot. I live in Puerto Rico, so no Michael's Arts store and I have no idea of where I could get them locally. Anyone knows where I could buy them online?

Anyways, here is what the calculator from projector central says I have:

Yes, I know that I may not really have 44FL!! . If so I guess I would be blind. But Since I'm shooting from such a short distance, even using Cinema mode and bulb in ECO I have a very bright image! Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a really big LCD! So I guess I must have at least 28-30FL! My goal is to make this LCD look closer to a Panny Viera VT30 plasma The room is completely light controlled but would love also to use the PJ with some lights.

I think I should at least use a SF V2 4.0. I like the idea that it has some gain (1.2 is it?) while boosting contrast to infinity and beyond!

So what do you think PB_Maxx/MississipiMan/everybody else? What are your opinions on what I should use? Thanks in Advance.
De que parte de Puerto Rico eres?
post #455 of 1568 Old 06-06-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
De que parte de Puerto Rico eres?
Not to change the language from the forum here pero soy de Carolina.

SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out HERE
post #456 of 1568 Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Not to change the language from the forum here pero soy de Carolina.
LOL or should I say RAC (Riendome A Carcajadas)? hahahaha

Ok, my family is from Barceloneta but I lived 6 years in Vega Baja. If you need help getting the ingredients from Michaels, PM me. I can help you out, Boricua.
post #457 of 1568 Old 06-06-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
LOL or should I say RAC (Riendome A Carcajadas)? hahahaha

Ok, my family is from Barceloneta but I lived 6 years in Vega Baja. If you need help getting the ingredients from Michaels, PM me. I can help you out, Boricua.
Thanks ERuiz!!

post #458 of 1568 Old 06-06-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks ERuiz!!
Wadda Guy!

Does me good to see the spirit of helping going down between DIY'ers.

Now I have time to leave and go work in a 140+ degree attic,

Oh Joy!

Well, there is a 115" SF 2.0 screen coming out of it at least.

I'm outta here. If I survive the Fiery Furnace, I'll answer other post this PM.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #459 of 1568 Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 AM

Hey MMan!

Could you look at my post above and confirm if SF v2 4.0 is the way to go, or could I go 5.0?

post #460 of 1568 Old 06-06-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Wadda Guy!

Does me good to see the spirit of helping going down between DIY'ers.

Now I have time to leave and go work in a 140+ degree attic,

Oh Joy!

Well, there is a 115" SF 2.0 screen coming out of it at least.

I'm outta here. If I survive the Fiery Furnace, I'll answer other post this PM.
LOL Being an avid DIY'er, I can try to help in any way! Too bad he doesn't live near by.. I would love to give my Wagner another run. hahaha BTW, my attic was that hot last week and after installing a gable fan, temps dropped considerably. Just think of it as a sauna workout. Just put on some wife beaters and tight shorts and you should be fine hahahahahaah

Quote:
Hey MMan!

Could you look at my post above and confirm if SF v2 4.0 is the way to go, or could I go 5.0?
I think 5.0 would be too dark. I suggest you stick with 4.0
post #461 of 1568 Old 06-06-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I think 5.0 would be too dark. I suggest you stick with 4.0
Ditto on the 4.0

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #462 of 1568 Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 AM

I am ready to do my screen;
Room is 12'10" by 32'. The soffit brings the dimensions to 11'. The ceiling height is 7'8"

All colors that you see stay, and I fought for a black ceiling which may come down the road.

The projector is the casio XJ-A240, centered and hung at 14" from ceiling so that I get a 120" screen. This brings the picture in before the soffit lines, about 7" from top of ceiling and I think 18" from floor.

The important seats are 14' from screen and projector is 15' from screen

The lights are fully dimmable with 2 zones, 4 being in front and above the couch and 4 behind it.

Regular shows will be with lights on and may be dimmed.
Sports will be with lights on and dimmed.
Movies will be dark or with the back lights dimmed very low.

I prefer to roll as I have a family member who is a prof painter but I do have access to a wagner paint spayer. Around the screen I may box it in with a black outline and then the rest of that wall will be the light blue.

So what is the mix?

all fired up
post #463 of 1568 Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro383 View Post

I am ready to do my screen;
Room is 12'10" by 32'. The soffit brings the dimensions to 11'. The ceiling height is 7'8"

All colors that you see stay, and I fought for a black ceiling which may come down the road.

The projector is the casio XJ-A240, centered and hung at 14" from ceiling so that I get a 120" screen. This brings the picture in before the soffit lines, about 7" from top of ceiling and I think 18" from floor.

The important seats are 14' from screen and projector is 15' from screen

The lights are fully dimmable with 2 zones, 4 being in front and above the couch and 4 behind it.

I prefer to roll as I have a family member who is a prof painter but I do have access to a wagner paint spayer. Around the screen I may box it in with a black outline and then the rest of that wall will be the light blue.

So what is the mix?

SF v2 3.0 SPRAYED.
post #464 of 1568 Old 06-07-2011, 05:41 AM

Just verifying the following

28 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Pearl #02601
16 oz. Liquitex Basics - Silver Metallic
10 oz. Behr Interior UPW Flat #1850 (or Exterior #4050)
3 oz. Liquitex Basics - Gold Metallic

(Viscosity Components)

24 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin Finish
18 - 24 oz. Distilled or Filtered water**

(Color Components) ie: "Colorant"

90ml - filtered/distilled water for rinsing color components from utensils
45ml - Liquitex Basics - Napthol Crimson Red
22.5ml - Liquitex Basics - Phthalocyanine Green
15ml - Liquitex Basics - UltraMarine Blue
7.5ml - Liquitex Basics - Cadmium Yellow - Deep Hue

all fired up
post #465 of 1568 Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

What are those 2 colors in your room and which brand ?
post #466 of 1568 Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

"Might be" means one must allow for the probability that they "will not be".

Quote:

I prefer to roll as I have a family member who is a prof painter but I do have access to a wagner paint sprayer. Around the screen I may box it in with a black outline and then the rest of that wall will be the light blue.

So what is the mix?

Well ERuiz gave you good advice as to what to consider, what with your Lumens output producing a "off the screen" level of over 30 fl.

Combined with SF v2 3.0 you will then have the leeway you need to offset both reasonable room lighting, as well as screen-oriented reflections from off the white Drop Ceiling.

But as he also stated, it would be a "Spray only" application. So....exactly what type of "Wagster" do you have? many say they have one, then it's found they have a Power painter or such.

Hmmmm....someone just posted up on this Thread, my "AVS notification" just told me. I wonder if someone just made my own post out-dated?

Just looked....I'm OK.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #467 of 1568 Old 06-07-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post

What are those 2 colors in your room and which brand ?

The 2 blues stay. The white wall is just primed white.

all fired up
post #468 of 1568 Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 AM

Well ERuiz gave you good advice as to what to consider, what with your Lumens output producing a "off the screen" level of over 30 fl.

that 30fl is rated normal setting, i will be running it in the eco 1 setting due to noise. I do have a device which I will verify to be the correct product to use to measure the fl

Combined with SF v2 3.0 you will then have the leeway you need to offset both reasonable room lighting, as well as screen-oriented reflections from off the white Drop Ceiling.

But as he also stated, it would be a "Spray only" application. So....exactly what type of "Wagster" do you have? many say they have one, then it's found they have a Power painter or such.

my brother in law owns it and I will have to go get it and report back

IN my previous post regarding the quantities, i adjusted the ml to reflect the version 3.0 Did I do that correctly?

all fired up
post #469 of 1568 Old 06-07-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The SF v2 3.0 suggestion sticks.

Let me know about the Wagner.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #470 of 1568 Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #471 of 1568 Old 06-08-2011, 08:17 AM

Guys,

with this latest update can someone tell me what the quantities are needed for version 3

I think my numbers are off. Thanks

all fired up
post #472 of 1568 Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 AM

I just about finished the painting for my screen last night when I got some paint or dust particles clinging to about a 3 inch diameter circle near the bottom-middle portion of the screen. Here is a pic of what it looks like up close:

The rest of the screen is perfectly smooth. Here it is compared to the white sintra

It is not perceptible from my viewing distance except for some bright scenes. But we're striving for perfection, right? So I wanted to get some thoughts.

Is sanding & feathering the prescription here?
post #473 of 1568 Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

very light sanding to remove imperfection. feather in a duster.
then duster the entire screen twice.
post #474 of 1568 Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

pyro383;

it's a small update and therefore remains V2.

the quantities are correct and the link above house the lastest updates.

if you are wondering, here are the changes that took place...

1) liquitex basics titanium white replaces behr upw 1850.

due to the artist liquitex quality having considerable 'more' white pigment than a house paint... only 8oz is being used... along with minor changes to the silver and pearl amounts. ($3 cost reduction)

2) the delta pearl has been reduced by 4oz. now you only need find three 8oz bottles instead of four. (note - it appears the delta pearl is being phased out by michaels) ($4 to 5 dollar cost reduction)

3) the liquitex basics silver has been increased by 2oz. ($3-$5 cost increase)

hope this helps the confusion.
post #475 of 1568 Old 06-08-2011, 08:27 PM

Satisfied DIY'er here:

(The American)

(Game of Thrones)

Thanks to the folks on this forum for being such a fantastic resource.

Specs on the Setup:
Paint mix: SF V.2 4.0 (Behr UPW version)
PJ: Panny AE4000U
Screen Substrate: Sintra 3mm 5x10 cut to 104" 16:9 diagonal
Throw Distance: 10' 3"
Viewing Distance: 9' 5"
Paint Sprayer: Graco no-name from gleem
Surrounding walls are all bright white w/ ambient light (hence the need for 4.0 version)

Wanted to also add a few observations for other future noobs:

This was only my second time painting something and I have to admit that the idea of using a paint sprayer at first seemed like overkill. But the resulting smoothness of the screen was pretty astounding. I can't really imagine rolling coming close to this finish. For a modest invesment of 50 bucks, the paint sprayer actually made things significantly easier.

Because I did this in a small apartment I was really concerned about overspray. It turns out that the Graco "no name" does a really good job of minimizing it. No paint dust on my clothes and no paint even a foot back from the screen. I'm sure a lot of this will depend on your environment and having proper paint viscosity though.

The paint mixer drill attachment is an absolute must. I don't think that was clear enough in the Beginners guide. No way I'd be able to mix thoroughly with a wooden paint stick.

Those of you in apartments who can't drill into your walls--turns out the 3M Command Large adhesive strips for picture hanging actually work quite well with the Sintra. The 3mm screen itself is at most 15-20 pounds, and I was able to get a secure grip with only 5 pairs of the adhesive. If you're planning a heavy frame though, I'd advise against it.

I'll edit this post if I think of other tips.
post #476 of 1568 Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

ksimm1;

welcome. excellent job.
silver fire v2 4.0 hugh?!! very brave i must say.
looking good!
post #477 of 1568 Old 06-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
post #478 of 1568 Old 06-09-2011, 04:45 AM

Great job, ksimm!
post #479 of 1568 Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 AM

OK so here is the updated mix from pb_maxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post
Materials available at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Dick Blicks, Home Depot, Menards, or most any Artist Supply or Hobby Stores.

*latest update - 6/7/2011

SILVER FIRE V2

(Reflective Base Components)
24 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Pearl #02601
18 oz. Liquitex Basics Silver
8 oz. Liquitex Basics Titanium White (Behr Interior UPW Flat #1850 can be substituted)
1.0 oz to 3.0 oz. Liquitex Basics Gold* - (dependent on type of SF V2 screen selected... in 1/2oz increments)
(SF v2 1.0 uses 1.0oz of Liquitex Basics Gold)
(SF v2 2.0 uses 1.5oz of Liquitex Basics Gold)
(SF v2 3.0 uses 2.0oz of Liquitex Basics Gold)
(SF v2 4.0 uses 2.5oz of Liquitex Basics Gold)
(SF v2 5.0 uses 3.0oz of Liquitex Basics Gold)
(etc...)

(Viscosity Components)
24 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin Finish
20 - 30 oz. Distilled or Filtered water**

(Color Components)
60ml - filtered/distilled water for rinsing color components from utensils
30ml - Liquitex Basics - Napthol Crimson Red
15ml - Liquitex Basics - Phthalocyanine Green
10ml - Liquitex Basics - UltraMarine Blue
5ml - Liquitex Basics - Cadmium Yellow - Deep Hue

---

*the 'base' & 'viscosity' components are to mixed separately from the 'colorant' components.

**Graco starts with 20oz. of water mininum. Wagner DD - 24oz minimum. Wagner CS - 30oz minimum.

-------------------------
Checking the website from Liquitex and Home Depot I have found where to buy all the materials locally but the Delta Ceramcoat Pearl 02601!!

I talked to some of the Art Stores I found but they don't carry Delta.

Any suggestions on where to find online?

post #480 of 1568 Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 AM

This is where I bought my delta pearl.

http://www.createforless.com/Delta+C.../plid1889.aspx
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page