The Official Silver Fire V.2 Thread. - Page 19 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Screens > DIY Screen Section > The Official Silver Fire V.2 Thread.

DIY Screen Section

eliwankenobi's Avatar eliwankenobi
09:24 PM Liked: 20
post #541 of 1786
06-18-2011 | Posts: 367
OK, so the Wagner Painter Pro is not recommended.

What about this other one? This one work with an external air compressor.

If not, then I guess I'll have to buy the new Wagner....Hey ERuiz, are you coming to Puerto Rico anytime soon? Bring your paint sprayer!!!
pb_maxxx's Avatar pb_maxxx
09:55 PM Liked: 17
post #542 of 1786
06-18-2011 | Posts: 2,387
@kthejoker20;

well... not quite. the lastest forumla uses the rustoleum accents white pearl only... however, folks should continue to use the liquitex silver and liquitex white.

the above issues however, has nothing to do with your situation with the colorant... which appears to be WAY off... as i've never seen that much red to the colorant mix nor i have i seen that much red to the completed mix either. something is way off.
kthejoker20's Avatar kthejoker20
10:38 PM Liked: 10
post #543 of 1786
06-18-2011 | Posts: 176
60ml - filtered/distilled water for rinsing color components from utensils
30ml - Liquitex Basics - Napthol Crimson Red
15ml - Liquitex Basics - Phthalocyanine Green
10ml - Liquitex Basics - UltraMarine Blue
5ml - Liquitex Basics - Cadmium Yellow - Deep Hue

I added all of the above to the base and viscosity.

Was I only to add 3 oz of the total above mixture to the base and viscosity if I am going for SF 5.0?

I thought something was wrong. When I mixed the colorants, I got a dark purple color.

That may be my problem then.

Let me know if I have to go back to the sand paper again...

EDIT:

I did some photo shop tests and it seems that I need to conclusively add more green. I will make a 2 ml batch with 10ml water and slowly drip it in and see if I can bring things together.
06:08 AM Liked: 17
post #544 of 1786
06-19-2011 | Posts: 2,387
@kthejoker20;
Quote:

I did some photo shop tests and it seems that I need to conclusively add more green. I will make a 2 ml batch with 10ml water and slowly drip it in and see if I can bring things together.

THAT my friend is an understatement... however, from your photo... 2ml not be enough... you'll likely have to make another 2ml batch.
ERuiz's Avatar ERuiz
09:47 AM Liked: 15
post #545 of 1786
06-19-2011 | Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post

OK, so the Wagner Painter Pro is not recommended.

What about this other one? This one work with an external air compressor.

If not, then I guess I'll have to buy the new Wagner....Hey ERuiz, are you coming to Puerto Rico anytime soon? Bring your paint sprayer!!!

LOL actually, I am probably going to Puerto Rico next February. Can you wait? Hahahaha
Ram Babu's Avatar Ram Babu
03:38 PM Liked: 10
post #546 of 1786
06-20-2011 | Posts: 23
Have folks had any luck locating Rustoleom Metallic Accents - White Pearl other than Menards and Amazon.com? I live in the northwest and went to a bunch hardware/paint stores but no luck :-(
07:20 PM Liked: 10
post #547 of 1786
06-20-2011 | Posts: 176
Ok, I got the mix right this time... I had to add 10ml green an 2ml blue and now its perfect gray
08:36 PM Liked: 17
post #548 of 1786
06-20-2011 | Posts: 2,387
@Ram Babu;

go here and enter your state and zip code:
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGCorporate.asp?sn=lr

then call them. most retailers who carry rustoleum can special order it if it's not in stock.
Hank's Avatar Hank
06:52 AM Liked: 13
post #549 of 1786
06-21-2011 | Posts: 161
What's with this Rustoleum? When did it enter the picture? I checked the first page formula, and it's still the same, with no mention of Rustoleum.
RealmSteel's Avatar RealmSteel
10:59 AM Liked: 10
post #550 of 1786
06-21-2011 | Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Recently, the few changes that have occurred were necessitated by material supply availability. But with those changes came a "Mo Bedder" application, so in the long view, it's all good.

Are you talking about V2.1?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=752415
This is where I'm a bit confused.
Is V2.1 in the link above better than V2 in this thread?
If not, I'll start looking for the Delta paint.

Thanks for all your hard work on developing this coating.
It's things like this that help people on a budget get into projection.
Hank's Avatar Hank
11:20 AM Liked: 13
post #551 of 1786
06-21-2011 | Posts: 161
MM: thanks for your (lengthy) reply So, the plan is to substitute Rustoleom Metallic Accents - White Pearl for the Delta White Pearl? Equal amount?
This change is welcome if one or more of these 3 occur:
1. Rustoleum easier to obtain
2. Rustoleum cheaper (there's that DIY trait) than Delta
3. Screen PQ is kicked up a notch

MississippiMan's Avatar MississippiMan
11:53 AM Liked: 263
post #552 of 1786
06-21-2011 | Posts: 15,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

MM: thanks for your (lengthy) reply So, the plan is to substitute Rustoleom Metallic Accents - White Pearl for the Delta White Pearl? Equal amount?
This change is welcome if one or more of these 3 occur:
1. Rustoleum easier to obtain

Gotcha covered there if you can't locate any DPF locally or online.

2. Rustoleum cheaper (there's that DIY trait) than Delta

Sorry Pard...that's a "fail'. It's much better paint...true "Ar-Teest" quality if compared to the Craft Paint.

3. Screen PQ is kicked up a notch

Oh ya gotta know that we would not label a new version at a higher numerical value if it wasn't just an improvement...but actually a quite noticeable one.

Together, the use of Liquitex and Rustoleum products raise the price of the DIY paint formula upwards of an additional $20+ dollars. That alone is, as I previously stated, a decision that came with necessity. There is nothing slackin' about and of the former SF / RS-Maxx applications. But just the same, there will always be in our way of thinking room for further improvement.
11:55 AM Liked: 10
post #553 of 1786
06-21-2011 | Posts: 176
I'm using the Rustoleum Metallic Accents White Pearl on my SF mix.

I will put on a couple more duster coats tonite and take pics.

I only have 1 dust coat on it right now, and I have to say it does look AWSOME. But thats just my opinion.
02:00 PM Liked: 17
post #554 of 1786
06-21-2011 | Posts: 2,387
just to chime in...
the reason for V2.1 had everything to do with availability, quality control, and peformance.
in fact, given the changes in quality...we probably should have named it V3.0... however, since V2.0 just came out 5 months ago...we chose to be a little more conservative.

so what's the cost difference?
of course we alway take cost into consideration even my quality is greatly improved...
so the cost difference between V2.1 and V2.0 is a measly $3-$6 dollars.

here's why.
1 - 8oz tube of liquitex basics titanium white = $8
vs
1 - QT of Behr 1850 Ultra Pure White = $12
---
that's a cost savings of $4

next:
4 - 8oz bottles of Delta Pearl (@ $5 each) = $20
vs
1 - QT Rustoleum Metallic Accents = $25
---
that's a cost increase of $5

1 - 4oz tube of Liquitex Basic Silver = $5
---
that's a cost increase of $5

now:
if you use the 40% coupon off a single item that both michael's and hobby lobby have every week either in the paper or online... on that 8oz tube of Liquitex Basics titanium white... you'll save some $3.50...

making the cost of Silver Fire V2.1 a whole whopping $2.50 more than V2.0

---

so having said that...
there were some real good reasons for switching to the Liquitex Silver...and that has been well accepted and proven out by so many folks using and approving of the quality difference it made.

the same is true for switching to the Rustoleum Metallic Accents White Pearl. when we switched the silver... that was only about a 40% refinement to a smaller mica. the Pearl is the other 60% of the metallics... and along with the Liquitex Titanium white...the difference between V2.1 and V.2 is actually greater than V1 to V.2
undersinjake's Avatar undersinjake
02:04 PM Liked: 10
post #555 of 1786
06-21-2011 | Posts: 364
Been reading through this thread but I admit I did not read through this whole thread, but I am a little confused anyways because I don't know much about painting.

I just bought a benq w1100 DLP projector. I don't have a screen yet, but it is about 11 or so' from the front wall. I get about a 100" screen. During the day the room can be pretty dark and darker in the evening but never really pitch black. The room is all white and it is an apartment, but I was planning on painting an accent wall a burnt orange color and the rest if it probably some dark grey color. I probably cannot paint the ceiling.. it is popcorn ceiling will that be really hard to paint? If not I might be able to paint a little bit of it by the screen.

What silver fire would you recommend for me?
I'm a complete newb...

Oh also what would be the best inexpensive sprayer to buy?
08:19 PM Liked: 10
post #556 of 1786
06-21-2011 | Posts: 176
The first pic is with 1 duster.

Rest if the pics with the 2nd duster. The orange light tinted the pics so don't worry.

But the gray is right on in the last pic.

There is still a slight pink tint from the under coat from the 2 previous dusts, but that will go away.

Those pics are with the paint wet and with the camera flash.
LL
LL
LL
LL
08:48 PM Liked: 17
post #557 of 1786
06-21-2011 | Posts: 2,387
kthejoker20;

make sure that if you are doing dusters that you do at least 6+ dusters.
12:12 AM Liked: 10
post #558 of 1786
06-22-2011 | Posts: 176
ok, I was probably going to do about 10, if I have enough paint
03:47 PM Liked: 10
post #559 of 1786
06-23-2011 | Posts: 364
ok getting lost here... I want to get my paints this weekend hopefully. Are most (all?) the paints available at home depot/lowes/hobby lobby/michaels? or which ones need to be ordered online?
And what is the new formula ... what exactly has been changed from the first page now?
04:13 PM Liked: 10
post #560 of 1786
06-23-2011 | Posts: 176
The rustoleom american accents pearl I could only find at Menards.

Also got the minwax there too.

Home Depot don't have anything, and the people their don't even know what the stuff on the list is, so don't even bother going there.

I found all the other paints at Hobby Lobby, and Michaels.

Also, no one told me, so I will tell you. Get a coupon for Hobbly Lobby or Michaels. There are 20% ones on the internet.

I only paid $56 for the special paints, about $22 for accents, and $15 for minwax.

Ohh Also forgot, the Dollar Store is also your best friend for getting supplies, ie cups pitches measure spoons gloves etc......
07:17 PM Liked: 17
post #561 of 1786
06-23-2011 | Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post
...Also, no one told me, so I will tell you. Get a coupon for Hobbly Lobby or Michaels.
hmmmm. i do believe that just a couple of posts ago... in this very thread...where i detailed the cost difference between v2.0 and v2.1...

that i did state to make use of the hobby lobby and michaels coupons
09:40 PM Liked: 10
post #562 of 1786
06-23-2011 | Posts: 176
Yeah, but that was after I bought my paint.
08:52 AM Liked: 10
post #563 of 1786
06-24-2011 | Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post

The rustoleom american accents pearl I could only find at Menards.

Also got the minwax there too.

Home Depot don't have anything, and the people their don't even know what the stuff on the list is, so don't even bother going there.

I found all the other paints at Hobby Lobby, and Michaels.

Also, no one told me, so I will tell you. Get a coupon for Hobbly Lobby or Michaels. There are 20% ones on the internet.

I only paid $56 for the special paints, about $22 for accents, and $15 for minwax.

Ohh Also forgot, the Dollar Store is also your best friend for getting supplies, ie cups pitches measure spoons gloves etc......

stupid question i know but what are all materials that you ended up needing as far as containers, etc? And thanks for the coupon info!
10:04 AM Liked: 10
post #564 of 1786
Ok so I am going to go buy the paints (or ones I can find) this weekend.
So let me get this straight... anyone that has done this and can help with any tips please let me know because this will be my first time.
Do I need mix the reflective and viscosity in their own bowls or together first? And when do I strain it?
And I mix the colorants in their own bowl and the water in it's own cup and wash the spoons in the water?
Also what exactly are the paints i need since I don't see any list for v2.1??

And I am hoping to get a sprayer from HD but don't want to spend too much if I do not have to. Would any of these work:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

thanks guys
11:36 AM Liked: 10
post #565 of 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksimm1 View Post

Satisfied DIY'er here:

(The American)

(Game of Thrones)

Thanks to the folks on this forum for being such a fantastic resource.

Specs on the Setup:
Paint mix: SF V.2 4.0 (Behr UPW version)
PJ: Panny AE4000U
Screen Substrate: Sintra 3mm 5x10 cut to 104" 16:9 diagonal
Throw Distance: 10' 3"
Viewing Distance: 9' 5"
Paint Sprayer: Graco no-name from gleem
Surrounding walls are all bright white w/ ambient light (hence the need for 4.0 version)

Wanted to also add a few observations for other future noobs:

This was only my second time painting something and I have to admit that the idea of using a paint sprayer at first seemed like overkill. But the resulting smoothness of the screen was pretty astounding. I can't really imagine rolling coming close to this finish. For a modest invesment of 50 bucks, the paint sprayer actually made things significantly easier.

Because I did this in a small apartment I was really concerned about overspray. It turns out that the Graco "no name" does a really good job of minimizing it. No paint dust on my clothes and no paint even a foot back from the screen. I'm sure a lot of this will depend on your environment and having proper paint viscosity though.

The paint mixer drill attachment is an absolute must. I don't think that was clear enough in the Beginners guide. No way I'd be able to mix thoroughly with a wooden paint stick.

Those of you in apartments who can't drill into your walls--turns out the 3M Command Large adhesive strips for picture hanging actually work quite well with the Sintra. The 3mm screen itself is at most 15-20 pounds, and I was able to get a secure grip with only 5 pairs of the adhesive. If you're planning a heavy frame though, I'd advise against it.

I'll edit this post if I think of other tips.

love this post! a lot of things I needed to know... I am in an apartment as well. What exactly is the Graco "no name" and where did you purchase it? Where did you also buy the sintra?
joikd's Avatar joikd
02:50 PM Liked: 11
post #566 of 1786
06-24-2011 | Posts: 380
Just curious if the Liquitex inks have ever been considered as an ingredient? I imagine they would dry smoother, but there are probably not enough colors to achieve the same kind of results as SF.
09:59 PM Liked: 10
post #567 of 1786
06-24-2011 | Posts: 176
Finished. The first 2 are before the screen, just projecting on the wall.

The others are with my new Silver Fire 5.5 screen with Epson 8100.

I love it. Worth the build

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOU HELP.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
ksimm1's Avatar ksimm1
10:07 PM Liked: 10
post #568 of 1786
06-24-2011 | Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post

love this post! a lot of things I needed to know... I am in an apartment as well. What exactly is the Graco "no name" and where did you purchase it? Where did you also buy the sintra?

undersinjake,
The Graco sprayer is one of the ones MMan recommends as a good value. I bought it online from Gleem Paint:
http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

As for the Sintra, you'll want to do a google search for sign supply companies in your area. You'll need to call them to find out if they have sintra in the size and thickness that you need. Make sure you have them do the cutting to your specificatioins as well.The company I ended up buying from was Seiferth Signs in Pittsburgh because they were so close.
10:29 PM Liked: 17
post #569 of 1786
06-24-2011 | Posts: 2,387
@undersinjake;

you only need two containers...
~a gallon container to mix your base & viscosity components and later to add the colorant for the final mixing
~a pint/quart size container (cheap tuperware type) to mix the colorant.

and maybe another pint/quart container for the colorant rinse that gets added to the colorant.

now as far as straining... i do that when i pour the paint into spray container.

for the lastest version and updates... they reside the 1st page of the Silver Fire Mix thread.
MississippiMan's Avatar MississippiMan
12:17 AM Liked: 263
post #570 of 1786
06-26-2011 | Posts: 15,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post

Hi, I'm planning to apply the SF on my current retractable screen, do I need to apply a base paint first before I'm going to apply the SF mix?

What type of surface does the existing screen have? Matte White? HCCV?

Also, how big is the screen? What PJ do you use? What's its position? How much ambient light do you have to deal with?

In many ways, those answers might dictate a specific course of action.

Note;

Just reviewed. Epson 8350. Cheap Manual Pull Down.

I'd advise three light duster coats of Gripper Primer, and then 2 Dusters and 2 light coats of SF 3.0 v.2.1

Reply DIY Screen Section

Subscribe to this Thread