The Official Silver Fire V.2 Thread. - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #751 of 1514 Old 05-28-2012, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone be aware of something when you go into Home Depot trying to find the Behr #1850 paint. When going in to buy the Behr UPW the paint guy at the desk couldn't find it and i though they got rid of the product. Come to find that What i was doing wrong, was that I was giving him the number #1850 as a color number but that number isn't a color number it was the model number for the paint, i believe. Thats why he couldn't find it.
If you guys try to give the #1850 as a paint number your going to be there for 15 minutes or more trying figure out what to do next. the #1850 is the model number according to home depot not the color number. Just look for the "Behr Ultra Pure White 1850 Premium Plus self- priming Interior Flat Enamel" s it says on the can. Hope this will help someone out there avoid stress and time like i had, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1514 Old 05-28-2012, 07:35 AM

just in case someone can get to this question first. What do i do with 18-24 distilled water that goes with the viscosity components?? do i pour it into the Minwax poly or is it used to delture the final paint mixture and if it for the Minwax poly how much of the 18-24 water goes in it.
post #753 of 1514 Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd View Post

just in case someone can get to this question first. What do i do with 18-24 distilled water that goes with the viscosity components?? do i pour it into the Minwax poly or is it used to delture the final paint mixture and if it for the Minwax poly how much of the 18-24 water goes in it.

The water is part of the Viscosity mix and should be added to the Poly. Most find that the full 24 oz is always required, and in the end, usually any additional water (up to 8 oz more) may be added to acheive the degree of viscosity (lack thereof actually) to allow for the paint to drain quickly enough through the Nylon Sock Strainer to let the HVLP Gun lay down a finely atomized pattern footprint.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #754 of 1514 Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

The water is part of the Viscosity mix and should be added to the Poly. Most find that the full 24 oz is always required, and in the end, usually any additional water (up to 8 oz more) may be added to acheive the degree of viscosity (lack thereof actually) to allow for the paint to drain quickly enough through the Nylon Sock Strainer to let the HVLP Gun lay down a finely atomized pattern footprint.

MississippiMan, I ran into a little snag. My plan was getting that White Fusion screen painted Monday, while i was off work, but I only got as far as barely getting it taped off. I had to order a Squirrel Cage Mixer from amazon. Lowe's or Home Depot didn't have one Anway, that wasn't the snag though. Unfortunately, since the thickness of the TWH/Plexiglass was over 1/4 ,to thick for the 1/4 inch mirror clip, I couldn't get a nice sandwich of the Plexiglass/TWH in the center of the Plexiglass. It seemed to kind of push the plexiglass sides inward due to that fact, pushing the center out a bit. The outside is nice and snug, no prob there, But i have to push up against the center part of the plexiglass so to make complete contact with TWH behind it.
I'm going to take a piece of another TWH I have and cut strips from it so i can put underneath the mirror clips to give it enough height to make a good, EVEN, hold.
You mentioned something before, but what would be a good way to make sure the TWH is nice and snugg in the center part of the plexiglass?? I thought about putting a couple of drops of glue as certain spot but not sure if those drops would cause to much raise once it dried. I wonder if i can find bigger mirror clips before online before doing the other things....Anyway, I need advice on getting that plexiglass to be snug.

Oh, by the way....I thought about mixing the silver Fire mix so it will be ready for when i get around to painting it, and need to know how long i can keep Mixed Silver Fire in a container and still use it, even if i need to re stir it.
post #755 of 1514 Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

MississippiMan, I ran into a little snag. My plan was getting that White Fusion screen painted Monday, while i was off work, but I only got as far as barely getting it taped off. I had to order a Squirrel Cage Mixer from amazon. Lowe's or Home Depot didn't have one Anway, that wasn't the snag though. Unfortunately, since the thickness of the TWH/Plexiglass was over 1/4 ,to thick for the 1/4 inch mirror clip, I couldn't get a nice sandwich of the Plexiglass/TWH in the center of the Plexiglass. It seemed to kind of push the plexiglass sides inward due to that fact, pushing the center out a bit.

You mentioned something before, but what would be a good way to make sure the TWH is nice and snugg in the center part of the plexiglass?? I thought about putting a couple of drops of glue as certain spot but not sure if those drops would cause to much raise once it dried. I wonder if i can find bigger mirror clips before online before doing the other things....Anyway, I need advice on getting that plexiglass to be snug.

You could get a Can of 3M Clear Spray Adhesive. Spray about 3 equally spaced rows of 4 - 6" "Dots" of Adhesive, then block the Plexi firmly agiant the TWH for overnight. With a Spray there is no chance you might have a Bump or Rise, but all the more you have to make sure those sides come in firm contact.

Yet...there still has to be room for the Adhesive to "Gas Out", so "Dots" are in order, like mastic Dots for a Large Mirror.

Anything that won't eat into the Acrylic, and drys Clear will do.

I have my own preferences.................

If you smeared on some dabs of Clear Elastomeric Adhesive Caulk, that will work. I uuse that all the time applying TWH to walls. Yes...you don't want to have a big bead on the TWH....you just need to flatten it out and then press in on it upon applying the Plastic to the Front. Blocking is still necessary. prolonging the available Drying time only helps.

Whatever adhesive you use....don't overdo it. And don't dawdle, especially with the spray. Get the adhesive in place, apply the Plastic, press in at the adhesive points, install some clips, Block in the center of the screen with something supportive. And go away.

Call me in the morning.

Quote:

Oh, by the way....I thought about mixing the silver Fire mix so it will be ready for when i get around to painting it, and need to know how long i can keep Mixed Silver Fire in a container and still use it, even if i need to re stir it.

You again?

Ok......the mixed SF paint will keep in a Teflon Coated metal paint can for a very long time. It's made of some very good, durable paints. Lots of Polyurethane conditions the paint. Just keep the paint clean and free of contaminants, and sealed, and you can wait a year to take it out again, mix it up thoroughly, and squirt with confidence.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #756 of 1514 Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 PM

[quote=MississippiMan;22078154]You could get a Can of 3M Clear Spray Adhesive. Spray about 3 equally spaced rows of 4 - 6" "Dots" of Adhesive, then block the Plexi firmly agiant the TWH for overnight. With a Spray there is no chance you might have a Bump or Rise, but all the more you have to make sure those sides come in firm contact.

Yet...there still has to be room for the Adhesive to "Gas Out", so "Dots" are in order, like mastic Dots for a Large Mirror.

Anything that won't eat into the Acrylic, and drys Clear will do.

I have my own preferences.................

If you smeared on some dabs of Clear Elastomeric Adhesive Caulk, that will work. I uuse that all the time applying TWH to walls. Yes...you don't want to have a big bead on the TWH....you just need to flatten it out and then press in on it upon applying the Plastic to the Front. Blocking is still necessary. prolonging the available Drying time only helps.

Whatever adhesive you use....don't overdo it. And don't dawdle, especially with the spray. Get the adhesive in place, apply the Plastic, press in at the adhesive points, install some clips, Block in the center of the screen with something supportive. And go away.

Call me in the morning.

Home Depot has different options for clear adhesive on this link:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=SEARCH+ALL

Which one of these would you recomend?? The adhesive wont mess up the Light Fusion, right?? I'll call you tomorrow(Thur) during lunch. I go to lunch at 1:30 pm eastern time.
post #757 of 1514 Old 05-31-2012, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Naric_rd

The only truly safe adhesive I can suggest is a Elastomeric Adhesive Caulk (clear).

Just ask the Clerk for it,and be sure it states it has "Water Clean up".

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #758 of 1514 Old 05-31-2012, 06:36 PM

Found the caulk. It's made by DAP and doesn't actually say ElastoMeric on it either. Only way I knew it was it because the bar code sign had it on it and the product description on the product page.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Glad i got it, now on to phase 2.
post #759 of 1514 Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Found the caulk. It's made by DAP and doesn't actually say ElastoMeric on it either. Only way I knew it was it because the bar code sign had it on it and the product description on the product page.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Glad i got it, now on to phase 2.

I noted on the product description that the chosen product stated it was "Solvent Based", not "Water Based". And I did not see any mention of it specifically being an Adhesive Caulk, just a "Sealant" that has good adhesion characteristics. That might not be an issue since you don't need to use a lot of it, and if the clean-up directions say "Water and Soap' that's always a good indication it's not apt to interact corrosively to acrylic plastic.

Personally, if you have a Lowes or Menards anywhere nearby, I'd suggest checking their inventory for the specific product mentioned...a Water Based Elastomeric Adhesive Caulk. DAP does make one, as does "White Lightning"

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #760 of 1514 Old 06-01-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:

I noted on the product description that the chosen product stated it was "Solvent Based", not "Water Based". And I did not see any mention of it specifically being an Adhesive Caulk, just a "Sealant" that has good adhesion characteristics. That might not be an issue since you don't need to use a lot of it, and if the clean-up directions say "Water and Soap' that's always a good indication it's not apt to interact corrosively to acrylic plastic.

Personally, if you have a Lowes or Menards anywhere nearby, I'd suggest checking their inventory for the specific product mentioned...a Water Based Elastomeric Adhesive Caulk. DAP does make one, as does "White Lightning"

Okay, i better take your advise and head up to lowe's and get the right stuff. I'm glad i didn't use that stuff this morning after all.
post #761 of 1514 Old 06-01-2012, 07:00 PM

you know, it frustrates me a bit when you go to lowes and they have everything else but what i'm looking for. Also, come to find out i messed up somehow on my Amazon order and actually never finished the order for the Squirrel cage mixer. When can i find a squirrel cage mixer this weekend so i Don't have to buy one online and wait?? I'm checking Lowe's and Home Depot and online and I CAN'T find a "Clear" Water Based Adhesive Caulk at all. They also have Silicone stuff as well, is that the same. I Found a 3006 white lightning brand thats clear here:

http://www.wlcaulk.com/products/acry...ulk/index.html

but i need to find it at lowes, home depot or Sherwin Williams. I'll look tomorrow
post #762 of 1514 Old 06-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Okay, I think i found what I need. Is this it guys??

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...0051#more_info
post #763 of 1514 Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

That'll work! Getter Dun!

BTW.....Lowes often stocks the Squirrel Cage Mixer.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #764 of 1514 Old 06-02-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:

That'll work! Getter Dun!

BTW.....Lowes often stocks the Squirrel Cage Mixer.

Well, Lowes did have it but they changed the design and it isn't made by Blue hawk. It was this one

http://www.lowes.com/pd_160973-995-3...=#BVRRWidgetID

but now it's a blue looking thing with fans in the middle and know outside cage looking things.
post #765 of 1514 Old 06-02-2012, 03:53 PM

I just went ahead and ordered the right one from amazon. Well, that parts done now back outside to mess with the caulk and get it down good before i use it on my actual screen.
post #766 of 1514 Old 06-03-2012, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I just went ahead and ordered the right one from amazon. Well, that parts done now back outside to mess with the caulk and get it down good before i use it on my actual screen.

The one shown in the Link is identical to the Squirrel Cage Mixer. And at a good price too. If you can still cancel your "Not Shipped" order, go get the one pictured and get'ter dun!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #767 of 1514 Old 06-03-2012, 07:08 AM

yeah, it was and that would have been the one i would have gotten. But...now, when you go to lowes that part number isn't that mixer anymore. They discontinued the one in the pic and got a different one by a different manufacture and changed the design. I went to lowes and we found that mixer with that part number and it isn't that anymore. I had the guys at lowes help me track it down.
post #768 of 1514 Old 06-03-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Oh......typical foo farall .

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #769 of 1514 Old 06-03-2012, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, can anyone help with hd 33 ,burgundy walls,back front, 10 by 18 . I have a 100" painted sheet rock. Looking to get a 120" . Please give me some advise for screen material and paint solution. I have a $300 budget. Thanks for everything
post #770 of 1514 Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie3121 View Post

Hi, can anyone help with hd 33 ,burgundy walls,back front, 10 by 18 . I have a 100" painted sheet rock. Looking to get a 120" . Please give me some advise for screen material and paint solution. I have a $300 budget. Thanks for everything

Is continuing to use the Drywall not an option? If so, relate your specific location and we'll try to source you a local outlet for the suitable material that falls well within your budget.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #771 of 1514 Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 AM

Well, I was trying to get sintra board or something that would provide the best picture for the hd 33 .Thanks again
post #772 of 1514 Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie3121 View Post

Well, I was trying to get sintra board or something that would provide the best picture for the hd 33 .Thanks again

That (Sintra) is one of the best possible substrates to choose from if your going to paint and need a substrate that will allow for having between a 102" up to a 120"-122" diagonal surface

Under 100" there are several choices...and depending upon where you live (...which remains unknown...) some of those choices are either inexpensive...might even be ready to use "as is"....or both.

But'cha gotta give use somethin' to go on.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #773 of 1514 Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 PM

Thanks, I live in Sumter, SC . My plan was for 120" 2.35 or 16.9 screen .I have complete control over lighting burgundy walls, black front wall 10' x 18' ceiling is slope 10' high in front 8' high on back screen wall in front. Best Screen ,Best material,paint solution whatever you can reccomend for hd 33 Thanks again . Watch Movies and Tv
post #774 of 1514 Old 06-06-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie3121 View Post

Thanks, I live in Sumter, SC . My plan was for 120" 2.35 or 16.9 screen .I have complete control over lighting burgundy walls, black front wall 10' x 18' ceiling is slope 10' high in front 8' high on back screen wall in front. Best Screen ,Best material,paint solution whatever you can reccomend for hd 33 Thanks again . Watch Movies and Tv

Your in luck. Sumter is far from Columbia, SC

Piedmont Plastics
1231 Bluff Road
Columbia, SC 29201
Toll Free: 866-408-7898
Phone: 803-217-2560

Ask for Sintra or Comatex in 120" x 60" x either 6mm (preferred) or 3mm (least expensive)

Ask for it to be cut to 107" x 60" (...just one cut needed...)

Once you can relate that you have...or are about to get the material, and want to proceed, and you acquire the Components for RS-MaxxMudd LL, your all set. You can either Roll on the paint ( mad.gif ) or spray it on with this inexpensive Sprayer:
http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

....and why not? You'll be just as happy as everyone else has been using that Sprayer, Paint, and substrate.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #775 of 1514 Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 PM

GREATTTTT! Thanks a million . One question though which mixture and combos do I use : silver fire v2 or maxmudd l > Thanks
post #776 of 1514 Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 PM

OOOOpppps I notice you maxmudll ,sorry . Thanks
post #777 of 1514 Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM

Missppman, I have a few more questions .1. How and what should I mount the sintra board one. 2.I have never done spray painting,my current screen was roll on drywall. Do I spray left to right or up and down?Last question ,I notice the formula for rs maxxmudd is this still current and what verison do you reccomend and what's the difference between rs mudd and silver fire .I also measure my room today is' 9.2 high ceiling 125" wide and 18ft long any advise on position of new screen will be welcomed. Thanks a million for your expertise
post #778 of 1514 Old 06-07-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Missppman, I have a few more questions .1. How and what should I mount the sintra board one.

Mounting options depend upon the thickness of Sintra chosen (6mm is easiest)...the "levelness" of the surface the Screen is to rest against....and if the Sintra can be "semi-permanently" mounted with adhesive directly to the wall, or screwed around it's perimeter.
Quote:
2.I have never done spray painting,my current screen was roll on drywall. Do I spray left to right or up and down?

Using the suggested Electric HVLP Guns, you'll find it's about the easiest skill to learn you have ever attempted. You always spray from one side to another....overlapping each preceding row by 70%. be certain that should you get to the point of spraying, you will have been provided with plenty of advice and assistance, including videos of the process in action.
Quote:
Last question

Riiiight. biggrin.gif
Quote:
,I notice the formula for rs maxxmudd is this still current and what version do you recommend and what's the difference between rs mudd and silver fire .

RS-MM is best for dedicated Theaters and/or locations where minimal or moderately low ambient light is present. It's also a Mix with a lighter shade of Gray that is easier for those who want to roll to do so.
Silver Fire is designed to combat ambient light....levels of which that would otherwise render a screen unwatchable....leastwise as far as being able to produce an enjoyable image. All iterations of SF are darker than any RS-MM save RS-MM Retro, whose "Gray" level is greater than normal due to a preponderance of additional Silver Metallic. ES-MM Retro is equal to a Silver Fire 1.5

All current SF & RS-MM formulas are version 2.5
Quote:
I also measure my room today is' 9.2 high ceiling 125" wide and 18ft long any advise on position of new screen will be welcomed. Thanks a million for your expertise

110" diagonal Screen (96" x 54") centered on the 125" wall.

That is, dependent upon your room's layout and available wall surfaces...as well as the desired seating arrangements. Really....having just the room's overall measurements isn't enough information to have someone be able to provide much more than a "I hope I can hit the side of a barn" suggestion. Windows...Doors....Traffic Flow....Lighting and seating, as well as the colors of the surfaces (Walls & Ceiling) all work together to help determine the best possible Screen size, Screen color & gain, and screen location.

But be forewarned...providing such information might lead to suggestions that upend your conventional thinking....planning, and (GASP) budget. But at least you can be certain that any such suggestions and changes are rooted in the desire to make your project reap rewards that might otherwise not be possible...so there is that to consider. wink.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #779 of 1514 Old 06-08-2012, 06:44 PM

Hi, Missipman ,it's me again ...I search through the rx maxxmud thread and only see vr. 2.1 as the latest . I hate to be a nusaince . Thanks a million, please excuse the spelling
post #780 of 1514 Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi, Missipman ,it's me again ...I search through the rx maxxmud thread and only see vr. 2.1 as the latest . I hate to be a nusaince . Thanks a million, please excuse the spelling

v2.1 then........my finger was a little ambitious.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page