post #91 of 1525 Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

hugh...look again....
that's three different panels. full screen is BW. panel farthest left... is BW 3:1:1... middle and brightest panel is SF.

and what hotspotting do you see in this....
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...i/DSC06109.jpg

I'm referring to the hotspotting I see in these 2 tests

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...lver-fire.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post234059
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1525 Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by

and what hotspotting do you see in this....
[url
View Post

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/jdevelvi/DSC06109.jpg[/url]

I don't see any, but it's very hard for me to tell with a shot like this with all differerent tones and colors, etc.

thanks.
post #93 of 1525 Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:

oh... and those superbowl screenshots of Develvjd's... were of a Silver Fire version 1... no less. not SF V2.

here's a pic of LIGHTGUYHD's SF V2 2.5 screen... it speaks for itself... and at 144", he's working with less than 14fL.

No offense, but If I put on a pixar movie I can make it look that fantastic also with my Scorpion painted wall also. I understand screenshots can you tell you so much so it's tough to make any determinations with many of them....but I think it's even harder to tell anything with shots that have different tones and colors all over them with no reference included, etc.
post #94 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post

What exactly was unrealistic about the football shots posted above Kevin?

They were taken by a forum member who made the screen himself, in his own room, with his own camera. It doesn't get any more real than that. I'm sure he has no desire or need in trying to prove that his screen is better then anyone else's.

I believe the total cost might be around $100-$150 dollars. It may not perform as well as a screen costing a few thousand dollars ($3000-$4000) and thats just fine. Considering bang for your buck, I'll take DIY thank you, as I'm sure most people using this section of the forum would. However, if I win a couple of million on tonight's lottery I may go check out the BD thread myself.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Best regards Jason

jherring69
ohcello was asking for realistic pics read his post.....Not HDTV SPORT they look good on any old wall hence my comment....

Yes i agree with you he has nothing to prove with a good job done, but others do try to prove that a paint mix is the best and post in the BD thread so we opened a Bright Room Contenders Comp.
They came into the BD`s thread first to try to advertise but it backfired.

Also keep in mind there is a lot of propaganda in this thread why? because people hide as dealers and covertly push their stuff to unsuspecting genuine people in need of a cheap alternative screen. Look around people really cheap screens ready to buy available.

I hope you save some cash to get yourself a proper screen any screen and see what you have been missing. IMO.

Edited to keep the peace. JOB DONE.
post #95 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 AM

Liked: 11
I am very interested in using this mix to paint a new screen but with all of the links and questions about an older version of the mix is very confusing. Please keep this thread on the topic of Silver V2. If you are concerned about hot spotting or other issues make sure that it pertains to this new mix and not something else.
post #96 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooLocsta View Post

I am very interested in using this mix to paint a new screen but with all of the links and questions about an older version of the mix is very confusing. Please keep this thread on the topic of Silver V2. If you are concerned about hot spotting or other issues make sure that it pertains to this new mix and not something else.

I'm not sure which version/mix, if any, or all.... hotspot... I'm trying to get some evidence or a sample so I can make that determination.
post #97 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 AM

FYI...I'm getting a SF v2 sample board made up and mailed to me from 'that other site'..... If you think I will get an incorrect/compromised sample, feel free to send me one also : )

Thanks.
post #98 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 10:54 AM

ok dude....that guy used a machine to get all his readings.

How many people on here do you think use a machine to watch tv- we use our damn eyes and probably 75% of us cant see jack squat.

And the comment above to post realistic pics......HDTV is sports is realistc.....
People watch sports...he didnt make it up.

Sure you can see something in the second link as the panel is moved to the end.....now how bad is it in the real world? When I watch TV, the majority of the time the main viewing material is center.

In my quest to get 180" screen I have chosen the SF as my choice. Damn drywall looks good to me, and if SF can make it look even better I'm happy. So far in 2 months researching DIY, not a soul has tried to sell me anything....so could you guys please tell
Who is pushing their wares on folks like me?

Oh BTW - Please show me a real cheap 180" 16:9 screen.....
post #99 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post

ok dude....that guy used a machine to get all his readings.

How many people on here do you think use a machine to watch tv- we use our damn eyes and probably 75% of us cant see jack squat.

And the comment above to post realistic pics......HDTV is sports is realistc.....
People watch sports...he didnt make it up.

Sure you can see something in the second link as the panel is moved to the end.....now how bad is it in the real world? When I watch TV, the majority of the time the main viewing material is center.

In my quest to get 180" screen I have chosen the SF as my choice. Damn drywall looks good to me, and if SF can make it look even better I'm happy. So far in 2 months researching DIY, not a soul has tried to sell me anything....so could you guys please tell
Who is pushing their wares on folks like me?

Oh BTW - Please show me a real cheap 180" 16:9 screen.....

I don't care about readings either. I care about contrast, black levels, and viewing cone, and if SF is as good or better than my current Scorpion based screen/wall, then I might make the effort to 'upgrade' it, etc. Now, there are obviously some divergent/conflicting opinions about if SF is better overall or not, so I'm just trying to figure that out. Also, the point is not that HDTV sports is realistic is very true, however showing a photograph of *any* show/movie, etc alone is not really compelling to me as you can make many many projectors/screens, etc look fantastic in a photographed screenshot, and also if there is no reference in the shot, there is not way to know how it is performing in the areas of contrast, black levels relative to some standard, like matte white or a 1.0 gain screen or whatever you choose.

As for how bad the "that panel" would be in the real world, that's what I'm trying to find out!!! I anxiously aware my sample panel to try and figure it out. I hope I get a sample from this site as well as I'd rather not have to buy all the ingredients to SF version X to just run a test.
post #100 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:

and you think that someone from that sight with their obvious bias and blatantly using falsely and incorrectly made samples with substitute components, never correcting the mix, and then using the butchered samples in all their so called testing...is going to spend $75 of their own money to send you a correctly made sample? LOL.

and you think you can judge how a full screen will perform from a 12" or 24" sample... LOL x2

hey.... GUYS.... I'm just trying to see if SF is an improvement...any way I can..... at least they are not laughing at me over there....jeez!!...

BTW, they are not making the sample just for me...they were going to make it anyway.

I cannot think of any other way to test it out. I cannot spray the entire wall unless I'm sure, it's a good deal of effort..... and even if I was sure, it will a challenge as the room is already finished. I also don't have a substrate that is large enough to cover the 114" area. I could make my own mix and try it on a large piece of drywall to compare, which I might do, but if I can get a sample big enough, I'd like to try that first.

****Let me tell you something else.... one of those 'obviously biased' guys over there has already sent me a 2 quarts of Scorpion mix and a full velvet border FOR FREE...they even paid for the shipping..... and didn't ask for anything in return....and they are willing to send me another sample of SF V2 next week. Nobody on this site has EVER offered to send me anything. I'm not saying anyone is obliged to, but it was very nice of them to offer and not ask for anything back, etc.

I don't know who to believe in this ridiculous feud you guys have going and frankly I'm not interested in allegations that cannot be proved or disproven by either side, which frankly seems to run rampant on both sites.

My goal is plain and simple......to try and get as much information as possible that will help me determine if SF is worth the upgrade over Scorpion or not. Since there are obvious differing opinions on this topic from people that know a great deal more than me on the subject, including you guys, a real world test seems appropriate.

You can either help me out with this goal or not, but if you're not willing to help me, please leave me alone.

As far as if their intentions are genuine, I have no idea...and neither do you.... all I know is that the paint they sent me worked out quite well and the velvet border I got was fantastic.... judge that as you'd like. Also, they are willing to send me another sample next week of SOMETHING... whether its a correct batch of SF or not, we'll see.

Of course you may claim that they are trying to win me over or get me to be an advocate or customer or something like that, which might be true. But I don't care! I got some free stuff from them, and they were nice about it.

Also, until I get some sample from someone (or try it myself) that shows a superior product over what I have now, I'm not spending the time, money, or effort to spray a new mix on my finished screen on someones 'say so'...from this site or any other.

Thanks for listening.
post #101 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Ohcello I dont know what to say 'bout black levels except my projector is the tits.
It's my first one but damn contrast and black are so pimp to me.

I've been in some huge arse debates similar to what I see going on here- regarding cars and water injection etc etc. I've learnt to take everything with 2 coarse grains of salt.

I do have to agree, its hard to see differences with small sample panels. As an example I primered a small area on my existing drywall to see the effects of different backgrounds, and with my eye- it was very difficult to see the difference.

Good luck in your quest...if my SF screen looks good when I'm done, I'm gonna be watching it, and this debate will carry on for yeads.
post #102 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Ohcello I dont know what to say 'bout black levels except my projector is the tits.
It's my first one but damn contrast and black are so pimp to me.

I've been in some huge arse debates similar to what I see going on here- regarding cars and water injection etc etc. I've learnt to take everything with 2 coarse grains of salt.

I do have to agree, its hard to see differences with small sample panels. As an example I primered a small area on my existing drywall to see the effects of different backgrounds, and with my eye- it was very difficult to see the difference.

Good luck in your quest...if my SF screen looks good when I'm done, I'm gonna be watching it, and this debate will carry on for yeads.

I hear ya. My screen looks awesome right now also.... just checking to see if it can be improved : ) Yeah I realize a small sample panel might not be able to tell me much... but if I can get one sent to me why not investigate a bit : )
post #103 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcello View Post

at least they are not laughing at me over there....jeez!!...

Also, until I get some sample from someone (or try it myself) that shows a superior product over what I have now, I'm not spending the time, money, or effort to spray a new mix on my finished screen on someones 'say so'...from this site or any other.

Well....I for one am not laughing, but I'll give you my $.02. The information given here is without any profit motive and the number of happy DIYers are many. You seem to want absolute proof beyond doubt and I suspect that can't be given with any written debate. Unless YOU do the mixing and application yourself, there will always be doubt with the samples given to you. Even then, if you report back here or the other source you've been referencing that you are seeing something negative not experieced from those who have had great results, you'll be suspect. There is NO way anybody can win here. Still, as it means so much to you to maximize your viewing pleasure, you should probably do your own work in order to eliminate any variables in your mind and use that which you like best. You do come across as wanting only the best and only you will be able to determine that. I don't see any other way and even then one camp is still going to look at you in a skeptical way. Good luck.
post #104 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

Well....I for one am not laughing, but I'll give you my $.02. The information given here is without any profit motive and the number of happy DIYers are many. You seem to want absolute proof beyond doubt and I suspect that can't be given with any written debate. Unless YOU do the mixing and application yourself, there will always be doubt with the samples given to you. Even then, if you report back here or the other source you've been referencing that you are seeing something negative not experieced from those who have had great results, you'll be suspect. There is NO way anybody can win here. Still, as it means so much to you to maximize your viewing pleasure, you should probably do your own work in order to eliminate any variables in your mind and use that which you like best. You do come across as wanting only the best and only you will be able to determine that. I don't see any other way and even then one camp is still going to look at you in a skeptical way. Good luck.

Thanks and I hear you, however I will say this: If someone sends me a sample and it appears to me that it would be an improvement, I would then probably take the plunge and buy the ingredients and try it myself. that's what I'm hoping for anyways.. Thanks
post #105 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:

ohcello, my lol comment was not in any way directed towards you...

no problem at all...it's just frustrating as it seems these conversation always devolve into trying proven themselves right or whatever.

I don't want to take sides and if I felt I saw something I thought was definitive I would use that and run with it to try it out myself. There are some tests from HTS that concern me. They might not be correct based on some claims from this site.....ok, fine, so I need to run my own tests or find other tests that might be more conclusive., which I guess is where I am now.

so, I'll ask one last time, ...is anyone willing to send any type of sample to me? If not, I'll stop asking and consider trying to mix my own sample.
post #106 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 02:26 PM

I gonna mix me up some sf v2 2.0 in about a week or so...if I have extra I have no problem...just pay shipping and any container fees and u better be in the USA.
post #107 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:

I gonna mix me up some sf v2 2.0 in about a week or so...if I have extra I have no problem...just pay shipping and any container fees and u better be in the USA.

cool deal, thanks so much. I live in NY and I'll pay shipping of course.
post #108 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 PM

I have an Epson HC 720 (720p) projector with manufacturer listed lumen of 1600 in Dynamic mode and a contrast of 10,000:1.

PBMaxx/M.Man Please advise what type of SF V2 I should use for my setup. Details of the setup are:

Substrate of Choice:
Thrifty White Board Sprayed (I'll order Wagner CS from Amazon)

Throw distance:
12'9 (the wall to wall is 14' and the projector is 15 deep)

Viewing distance: 12'

Screen Size: 110 (54x96)
I'll be using 40 x 96 for 3.25 movies with border spilling out.
Note: with throw 12'9 the lense will be zoomed out at 1.9 out of 2.11 which is the max.

Actual Lumens: 380-475.
Ideal color setting for Epson is Theater Black 1 which is only 380 lumens. The next brighter preset is Natural which is 475 lumens.
The Dynamic preset, if I have to use it, gives 1600 lumens but it doesn't use the Epson filter and I don't know If I can make the colors look like the one in Theater Black 1.

Room walls/Ceiling: White (I can paint the screen wall dark and cover about 3 feet of side wall and ceiling with darker paint and/or black fabric). However, the back wall and the walls beyond the first 3 feet are still white(Renting the place).

Q1 Which version of SF should I use?
I want the best possible picture but is my PJ contrast enough to use SF V2 1.0 or does it need SF V2 2.0 ? is V2 2.0 too dark for the low lumens?

Q2 Does TWB require Kilz2 primer coats? If yes, should it be rolled or sprayed?

Q3 Would it help the CR if I increased the throw to 14' ? Should I do that at the expense of lumens?

Thanks!
post #109 of 1525 Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Q1 answer. SF v.2 2.0
Q2 answer. No...your first two Dusters act as a "Primer tack". Priming "can" be used to cover a blemished board's Boo Boos., but should be applied in at least 3 coats.

Otherwise, the semi-Gloss White TWH is a super good enough White reflective base to create "White Fusion"

Oh yeah....

Q3 answer. No. @ 12' 9" your just about exactly where you want to be. If you use SF v.2 2.0 and get at minimum 1.3 gain out of the application, that's 24 fls. So you can go ahead and set the Image Mode to Cinema, bulb on "low lamp", and get Blacks you swear are "CRT-like" in depth.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #110 of 1525 Old 02-11-2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks again all, Looks like I might get one sample each from both sites! I think the HTS guys are whipping up SF2 v3 for their own tests and will send me a sample.
post #111 of 1525 Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 AM

Ohcello,

I'm in Queens NYC if you're in the area I'll probably be painting around the 2/19th (or shortly after) SF HG v2 3.0. PM me and let me know if you want to stop by. I have an Epson 8350 but bring your own projector (and screen samples) if you have something different to try and a 6 pack of Smithwick's beer. If you're not happy with the screen.. have another beer

Cheers!
post #112 of 1525 Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Hey, can this be sprayed onto a blackout cloth screen in a garage, rolled up and then mounted to the frame in the theater? I can't get the 150" screen into the room without rolling it or folding it.
ProDIYer likes this.
post #113 of 1525 Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtk View Post
Ohcello,

I'm in Queens NYC if you're in the area I'll probably be painting around the 2/19th (or shortly after) SF HG v2 3.0. PM me and let me know if you want to stop by. I have an Epson 8350 but bring your own projector (and screen samples) if you have something different to try and a 6 pack of Smithwick's beer. If you're not happy with the screen.. have another beer

Cheers!
They there thanks so much for you offer! I don't think I can make it however...just very busy.... I really appreciate it however and good luck with your project!
post #114 of 1525 Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM

ohcello, I am interested in your test also. I made a batch of SF V2 2.0, and I have about half a gallon left. I can ship you about a pint's worth in one those sample size cans from Lowes. I'll be honest about my mix - I was going for SF V2 2.5, but I added too much UPW by mistake. I checked with pb_maxxx and he gave me the go ahead, saying that my final result will be something close to SF V2 2.0. So my mix isnt to exacting specifications (added about 2 more oz of UPW than the specs), although everything else I made sure to add exactly the correct amount.

Let me know if you're interested. I'm in NJ, about an hour south of NYC.
post #115 of 1525 Old 02-11-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharami View Post
ohcello, I am interested in your test also. I made a batch of SF V2 2.0, and I have about half a gallon left. I can ship you about a pint's worth in one those sample size cans from Lowes. I'll be honest about my mix - I was going for SF V2 2.5, but I added too much UPW by mistake. I checked with pb_maxxx and he gave me the go ahead, saying that my final result will be something close to SF V2 2.0. So my mix isnt to exacting specifications (added about 2 more oz of UPW than the specs), although everything else I made sure to add exactly the correct amount.

Let me know if you're interested. I'm in NJ, about an hour south of NYC.
that would be awesome thanks!... you want me to pay shipping? I'll PM you my address.
post #116 of 1525 Old 02-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtk View Post

Ohcello,

Cheers!

I'll take you up on that offer. I am in the market for a screen.
post #117 of 1525 Old 02-12-2011, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

Thanks again all, Looks like I might get one sample each from both sites! I think the HTS guys are whipping up SF2 v3 for their own tests and will send me a sample.

Don't bother to try to make any valid comparisons between what another Forum alludes to be a correctly made "test" panel and what you yourself or someone from this Forum makes up. If your so unable to do it yourself...if it's not important enough for you to know that YOU have done everything correctly...if the cost is too high for you to meet the challenge, then just perhaps your not intended to "go there".

I've read the "Silver Fire" Thread on HTS...I'm up to date on exactly what they are doing and what they are attempting to do.

They know exactly how to tip little things askew in a mix (...there is no "Control" over what they do, and this is not a Blind or "Dis-interested Party" endeavor. This is an effort by a competing Forum's own "Moderators" (..who are disobeying their own rules daily because they cannot be questioned for doing such...) to discredit another Forum's effort to bring something to bear for DIY'ers.

There is NO other reason. They self-admit once more that they are changing the rules...and changing the prescribed SF Formula mix in one very important aspect. They are using a "Eggshell Enamel" paint instead of a "Flat Enamel" paint. knowing full well that there is a noticeable difference between the sheen characteristics of the two, and that with "Eggshell" they almost undoubtedly expect (le: want) to see the resulting "Hot Spotting" that will occur with a mix that already sports a very Translucent and metallic nature.

So whose to say these folks have no agenda when they come out beforehand and say "I want to put all this to bed once and for all". Does that sound like they are entering into this with a unbiased attitude?

Your frequenting the other Forum with many more posting than on here, and basically repeating everything said. While this might seem alright to you, it's not alright with me personally...because all it is serving as is an opportunity..a conduit if you will, for a few others to use you as a weapon.

So what will be the question / outcome if there is a disparate difference in favor of what your receive from someone on AVS and what they send along? Will you go onto HTS and call them out? Better not. They'll ban you quicker than it takes your eye to flicker. You cannot openly question a Moderator on that Forum, merely report their actions and your concerns. As to how far that would get you is problematical at best.

They are themselves obviously fixated on trying to come up with the validation needed to post up their slanted and biased view points and conclusions, simply because in fact....they must. They are simply not doing as effective job at convincing people they have a superior ambient light application...or that any of the applications they tout as being superior are indeed so.

Ask yourself this question....why would they even have a Silver Fire Thread? Where is their interest rooted in having such. Warning others off? Keeping people mis-informed and believing "science" rules over creativity? Are they worried about the impact such a popular DIY application has on their own efforts? You bet they are!

If your truly unbiased in all of this...and read how they approach things and the slanted and denigrating comments they have offered up even before the supposed "tests' are completed...about everything...from costs...to "Syringes"...to mixing effort...pre-disposed comments about "pushes" that cannot be verified as being the cause of the Mix....

...it's all just too much.

They know that their own Forum owner said for them to let "AVS" issues remain "AVS" issues, and HTS "Issues" remain HTS issues, and to NOT to press home rebuttal-tempting or insulting posts. They patently ignore that because they are ensconced as Moderators...."Boys in the Hood" that make and play by their own rules because they can...that's why they moved on in the first place.

Our own Owners have said the same thing about "anyone" making posts concerning HTS...and this post is about as close to being a transgression as what they are posting...if done even in defensive posture. But I'm posting this as a "Notice" to the Mod....and both willing to see it and all other OT and illicit posts wiped clean from this Thread.

From this point on...as Thread Starter, if you want to continue any discussion of the "Tests, or post questions about such as comes from any examples you receive from a HTS member as well as a AVS member (..the latter who it would seem would have no vested interest in sending you a bogus sample...) then I'm asking you to do so on your own specifically titled and self authored Thread. I have that right to do so and I'm exercising it forthwith.

Let everything stand there on it's own merit. Or fall into dust and obscurity. I'll not stand to see such issues discussed on this Thread anymore. This Thread is intended to serve as an aid to help others realize the advantages inherent in the new Silver Fire v.2 Mix. If you want to make any valid comparisons that can be posted here, you may do so by making your own test panels and use any that are sent to you by a AVS'ers.

You have received offers of SF v.2 paint...so if your willing to go that extra step, and paint your own test panels to compare with whatever you receive, there should be no reason for you to need any help from another source whose merits and motives are seriously in question. You have your own C&S Screen as a "Control Example". We have always stood on the comments and results of others who have done/experienced DIY as is prescribed. We spend literally hours helping people, knowing that in the end, their results will either stand up...of fall based on what info we provide and the work ethic they muster up.

Few people ever intentionally muck up such efforts...however that does not necessarily apply for those who might have every reason to do exactly that. I trust any AVS member who has gone down the SF road to be totally honest about his findings. Good, bad, or indifferent. Even "OMG".

We get a lot of the latter, so you determine what's valid and what is not.

Be aware that I'm not faulting you or your request...and especially not your desire to find a DIY Screen more suited to your needs. But this is not the Thread to do so on...and the route being taken is wholly unacceptable, and a violation of the separation between Forums that both Owners wish to maintain.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #118 of 1525 Old 02-12-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Been all over. Currently living in upperstate NY in the Capital District area.
Nobody anywhere said that eggshell enamel was used in the mix that is being tested. All readings are being done with the exact ingrediants and instructions that came from this site.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
post #119 of 1525 Old 02-12-2011, 05:51 PM

Ohcello is getting a sample made from someone on the other forum. It also sounds like he is getting two samples from people on this forum. I think he should be able to accurately assess if the panels are made correctly based on his three different samples. Let's all just sit back and wait and see what Ohcello says instead of blaming people for inaccurate testing before it has been done. Where is the harm in that? I personally don't see what motive they could possibly have for sabotaging someone else's mix, but I guess we will see once Ohcello is able to compare all three samples.

After all, it's just paint people. I see less drama on the crappy reality shows my wife watches where people actually do have reason for ulterior motives.
post #120 of 1525 Old 02-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm referring to the hotspotting I see in these 2 tests

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...lver-fire.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post234059

I'm not seeing any hotspotting here, but maybe it's just my monitor...

In any event, I've always found this test (though now rather dated) to be quite interesting. Of particular note is the statement in post #4:

"In a nutshell, Silver Fire hot spots. And it's color reproduction is a bit confusing as the spectro reading shows 100 points higher than D65 and yet the calibration temp shows 70 points lower. I've seen funky things happen with regards to these two measures before - like I said earlier, the Supernova. But these were with layered technology which is way more advanced than Silver Fire could ever dream of. Unless one wanted to examine the aspects of Silver Fire under the microscope, I think it's safe to say that the shifting is due to the massive quantities of mica mixed within a large amount of polyurethane in an attempt to mimic 'pop' yet only results in fizzle. It's like the firework that goes off in the launcher, cool for a second or two, but quickly disappointing. I'm a bit unsure where 'pop' became hot spot with added graininess from the paint itself."

With "funky things happening" that are comparable to a very expensive commercial screen, I would think that further investigation might be in order, by microscope or whatever is deemed necessary.

I might also add that the tone of the above quote does not suggest, to me at least, a completely objective viewpoint.

I'm sure an open discussion of these and other issues would be welcomed by all concerned, but let's keep it civil, please...

Garry

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page