post #1472 of 1583 Old 05-15-2014, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordic1954 View Post

Silver glitter is the same paint?

Not the same paint at all and most likely not usable.
post #1473 of 1583 Old 05-15-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahajr143 View Post

It appears that Home Depot has discontinued the Martha Stewart Living Silver Metallic Paint in favor of silver glitter paint!!
!

Actually the entire line-up of Martha Stewart Specialty Finishes is being closed out. I myself scrambled to acquire every bit of Memphis inventory (12 Jars)

Substitutions include :

"Preferred"
Rustoleum
http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Metallic-253534-Decorative-32-Ounce/dp/B003EELMY2

"Very Acceptable"
Modern Masters
http://www.worldpaintsupply.com/modern-masters-metallic-paint-me150-opaque-silver-qt/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahajr143 View Post

Not the same paint at all and most likely not usable.

Silver Gliitter as a horrible amount of graininess.....just as the description indicates.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #1474 of 1583 Old 06-13-2014, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by ahajr143 

It appears that Home Depot has discontinued the Martha Stewart Living Silver Metallic Paint in favor of silver glitter paint!!
!

Actually the entire line-up of Martha Stewart Specialty Finishes is being closed out. I myself scrambled to acquire every bit of Memphis inventory (12 Jars)
I grabbed 5 jars from my local HD in anticipation of spraying my screen in a few months. I was happy to see they still had some on the shelf still.
post #1475 of 1583 Old 06-15-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am planning on painting some type of fabric screen for use with my first projector set up. I'm looking at the JVS RS49 and this will be in a light controlled room which does have light colored surfaces. Going with a scope screen and still trying to has out the 2.?? AR.

It is evident that a lot of work has gone into this, but I'm having a little trouble navigating the first post. I feel like I am on a treasure hunt, looking for the secret formula

Quote:
NEW Substitution for Liqutex Basics Silver 09-21-2013 (..this means "use it" if at all possible..)
MississippiMan - or any other experts, is this referring to the Liquitex Basics Gold that is in the Hue list? I'm guessing one superseded the other at some point. I'm just trying to nail down my shopping list before I get started. I know it is not ideal to build a screen before first trying different throws on a wall, but it looks like I will have 15 days to audition the PJ, and I want to have the screen in hand.
post #1476 of 1583 Old 06-16-2014, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
NEW Substitution for Liqutex Basics Silver 09-21-2013 (..this means "use it" if at all possible..)
Quote:
MississippiMan - or any other experts, is this referring to the Liquitex Basics Gold that is in the Hue list? I'm guessing one superseded the other at some point. I'm just trying to nail down my shopping list before I get started. I know it is not ideal to build a screen before first trying different throws on a wall, but it looks like I will have 15 days to audition the PJ, and I want to have the screen in hand.
Re read it again....it's fairly obvious the color described is Silver, not Gold..

Silver Metalic is a primary ingredient in the reflective base, with between 22 almost 30 ounces involved. The Gold Metallic only involves the use of between two to four ounces , and is used to balance out any tendency toward a slight blue push.
post #1477 of 1583 Old 06-22-2014, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know where to buy Martha Stewhart silver paint? Maybe someone saw it in the nearest Home Depot store? Thanks!!!
post #1478 of 1583 Old 06-22-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by john848 View Post
Does anyone know where to buy Martha Stewhart silver paint? Maybe someone saw it in the nearest Home Depot store? Thanks!!!
The "Martha" has been discontinued at HD Stores. It's still available elsewhere...somewhere....but exactly where is as still yet to be determined.

But there is a perfectly good substitution.

Rust-oleum Sterling Silver (...almost identical in all respects to the MS Polished Silver...)

Web Order ( 2 week availability )
http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Met.../dp/B003EELMY2

Lowes ( Immediate availability in most Stores )
http://www.lowes.com/pd_417204-90-25...568-_-11250240

The Rust-oleum has always been a prefered item, but coming in 32 oz containers has led us to recommend the Martha Stewart because it comes in 10 oz containers. Both are identical in make-up, leading us to believe that MS obtains their paint from Rust-oleum.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1479 of 1583 Old 06-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My current screen is 97" RS-MaxMudd Retro. I just mounted a new BenQ W1070 and it seems to be overpowering the screen a bit. White or bright scenes are a bit grainy and hot. I have begun assembling the components for a 110" Silver Fire v2.5 screen. It is a white room (still, with renovations at some unknown point) which is adding to the overpowering effect of the BenQ. Suggestions on shade of Silver Fire? Out of curiosity, what shade of Silver Fire would match the RS-MaxMudd Retro in darkness?

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #1480 of 1583 Old 06-27-2014, 09:49 PM

Liked: 0
Anyone know what the coverage is for this mix? Would it paint two 110" screens?

Last edited by Pappaloo; 06-27-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: didn't mean to do quick replay
post #1481 of 1583 Old 06-28-2014, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappaloo View Post
Anyone know what the coverage is for this mix? Would it paint two 110" screens?
No...not at the ratios listed....but with the amounts the individual components come in, you can easily adjust the ratios of the Viscosoty and Reflective Mixes to up the amount by at least 50%

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1482 of 1583 Old 06-28-2014, 09:13 AM

Liked: 12
Is there a good substitute for Behr 1850? I've been to multiple Home Depots (couple here in Orlando and one in Gainesville) and none have had it. Only one that comes up on their site is 5 gallons. A google search seems to suggest it has mostly disappeared.
post #1483 of 1583 Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medisinyl View Post
Is there a good substitute for Behr 1850? I've been to multiple Home Depots (couple here in Orlando and one in Gainesville) and none have had it. Only one that comes up on their site is 5 gallons. A google search seems to suggest it has mostly disappeared.
Behr 1750

Glidden 9000

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1484 of 1583 Old 06-28-2014, 09:32 PM

It's been years since I looked at a paint thread. I have been using the 2005 (?) version of mississippi mud on my 160 inch plywood screen. I recall it was about 8 coats to get to the final. Are you tne mississippi mud guy from way back then? How does this new stuff compare? Tom
post #1485 of 1583 Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Bluedog225,

Yep...the one and only.

MMud started it all, a mix to compete with and exceed the performance of excessively expensive paint offerings.

The original Mississippi Mud was a 1:1:1 mix.

1 quart Behr Deep Base (1300)
1 quart Behr Ultra Pure White "Ceiling"
1 quarts Behr White Opal Pearlescence (On the "Faux Paint" shelf)

A bit later the Mix was changed into a 1:1:2 version

1 quart of Behr Deep Base (1300)
1 quart of Behr Ultra Pure White
2 quarts of Behr "White Opal" Pearlescence

When I added 4-6 oz of Behr Silver Metallic to that a bit later, it became MMud SE (Silver Edition)
Or...With a pure Behr Silver Metallic undercoat and MMud top coat it became SM-MM (Silver Metallic-Mississippi Mud)

A Silver Metallic undercoating was a daunting effort for most, and in the search for a substitute, good 'ol CMRA suggested and tried a Mirror as a substrate.

Bam. Light Fusion was born. Then MMud SE Light Fusion

A collaboration with PB-Maxxx helped create RS-MaxxMudd on a Mirror which heralded in the first real gains in ambient light resistance in a higher gain painted screen.

Not too awful much longer, while replying to "dare" by someone to create a "Black Screen" akin to Sony's Chroma-Vue, as well as a request from a DIY Projector Forum, I cobbled together the RGB ratios required to create what was known back in 2005 as Black Flame. When combined with a Mirrored substrate, it became Black Flame Light Fusion...the first such dark painted screen to really have substantial ambient light performance while also maintaining a gain level higher than 1.0

Some controversy ensued over the application / approval of a Patent for Black Flame, resulting in a name change to Silver Fire to differentiate between the supposed commercial application / use of the former and the DIY mix of the latter.

All of the above leading to today's advanced mixes, none of which now must depend upon a Mirror (...although for truly dark versions of SF it gets thing completely over the top...)

The closest thing going to your original MMud mix is RS-MaxxMudd LL

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1486 of 1583 Old 06-29-2014, 06:36 AM

That's great. Thanks for the overview. I remember searching for big mirors.

I have had great service from the current screen. It is the miss mud with the silver metalic undercoat. I recall there were a couple more pigments added to the final coat.

My only concern is that it does not appear ro be very high gain. Big room and not lighting controlled.

Any suggestions for a light topcoat on the existing? It's a solid and almost flawless base.

Tom

Last edited by Bluedog225; 06-29-2014 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Words are hard
post #1487 of 1583 Old 06-29-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog225 View Post
That's great. Thanks for the overview. I remember searching for big mirors.

I have had great service from the current screen. It is the miss mud with the silver metalic undercoat. I recall there were a couple more igments added to the final coat.

My only concern is that it does not appear ro be very high gain. Big room and not lighting controlled.

Any suggestions for a light topcoat on the existing? It's a solid and almost flawless base.

Tom
Lightly sand the Top Coat then spray on RS-MaxxMudd Standard or Retro

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1488 of 1583 Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I picked up a 60 ml syringe for measuring out the colorant components. Since I have no experience with syringes, this may be a silly question. Is the volume in the tip beyond the cylinder portion included in the volume shown on the graduation?

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #1489 of 1583 Old 06-30-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Is it possible to paint a Silver Ticket fixed frame screen? The screen material is stretchy and grey. http://www.amazon.com/STR-235125-G-S...22+grey+screen

Have a optoma hd25e 15' throw, with some ambient light during the day.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
post #1490 of 1583 Old 07-02-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post
Is it possible to paint a Silver Ticket fixed frame screen? The screen material is stretchy and grey. http://www.amazon.com/STR-235125-G-S...22+grey+screen

Have a optoma hd25e 15' throw, with some ambient light during the day.
I have yet to see the texture of the Silver Ticket material, but the construction seems to indicate a screen whose material snaps onto the back of the Frame. In any case, to paint it the material needs to be of the frame, and at least slightly stretched and secured onto a flat surface.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1491 of 1583 Old 07-03-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have yet to see the texture of the Silver Ticket material, but the construction seems to indicate a screen whose material snaps onto the back of the Frame. In any case, to paint it the material needs to be of the frame, and at least slightly stretched and secured onto a flat surface.
Correct, snaps in.

Well good, I would like to upgrade the screen, and since I already have it up and running, it probably easier to paint it than start over from scratch.

Thanks.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
post #1492 of 1583 Old 07-03-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post
I picked up a 60 ml syringe for measuring out the colorant components. Since I have no experience with syringes, this may be a silly question. Is the volume in the tip beyond the cylinder portion included in the volume shown on the graduation?
Usually not. When a measurement is taken, the material is drawn down into the tube, then excess air volume is pushed out until the material reaches the top of the cylinder.

Now of course that sort of thing is done using a liquid, not a viscous material like paint. So do yourself a favor and first trim the tip back 1/2 way, then express some paint out in a little pile onto a flat, clean surface...like the center of a small ceramic saucer. Or use a wide mouth Shot Glass. The object being to pull in as much paint as needed without drawing up too much air.

In any case, you do want to pull the plunger back far enough you can shake the paint down further from the tip, them carefully...slowly plunge the extra air space out until the paint starts to exude. Check your measurement and repeat as necessary.

All ya all should make up the Colorant by the quart....doing that I can use full tubes and / or measure paint by the known weight of any larger Milliliter amount.

Yeah....I can cheat. But I do use a crap load of the stuff.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1493 of 1583 Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Correct, snaps in.

Well good, I would like to upgrade the screen, and since I already have it up and running, it probably easier to paint it than start over from scratch.

Thanks.
Yes...but still take note you have to remove the material from the frame and stretch it out to paint onto it.....

Be sure to put little tabs of Tape on the snaps so you don't fill 'em up.

If you have any questions or concerns about how to go about this, please ask first...squirt later.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1494 of 1583 Old 07-03-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes...but still take note you have to remove the material from the frame and stretch it out to paint onto it.....

Be sure to put little tabs of Tape on the snaps so you don't fill 'em up.

If you have any questions or concerns about how to go about this, please ask first...squirt later.
Oh, I was thinking I could just paint it as is, with the frame masked, and no assembly required. Is that not advisable?

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
post #1495 of 1583 Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Oh, I was thinking I could just paint it as is, with the frame masked, and no assembly required. Is that not advisable?
No.

The Material is snapped to the rear of the Frame, making it inset from the leading edges of the frame. If you tried to paint "into the corners / edges" you could not get a even coating, in fact you'd either get too little, or so much extra you'd get runs.

You must remove the material and stretch it out flat...vertically

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1496 of 1583 Old 07-03-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

It's not really that difficult.....I've done similar things before.

Stuck? Just ask.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1497 of 1583 Old 07-03-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No.

The Material is snapped to the rear of the Frame, making it inset from the leading edges of the frame. If you tried to paint "into the corners / edges" you could not get a even coating, in fact you'd either get too little, or so much extra you'd get runs.

You must remove the material and stretch it out flat...vertically
Makes sense, I thought the edges could be issues.

So stretching it out, I think I have the wall space to accomplish that. Think I can rig up a temporary frame to fasten the screen on a side wall. The actual screen wall has paneling and slightly protruding bookcase that would be difficult to work with.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
post #1498 of 1583 Old 07-03-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I thought you'd never ask.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A Screen Material on Painting Easel.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	146890  
Spanglo likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1499 of 1583 Old 07-03-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The material does not have to be stretched "taunt".....just held securely flat. Thumbtacks out within 1" from the edges about every 8" or so should be plenty.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1500 of 1583 Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Behr 1750

Glidden 9000
Is this paint+primer GLN9000 correct?