1Likes

post #1501 of 1515 Old 07-05-2014, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
That'll do it.

Although they do also make a GLN9000 Base that is not a Paint / Primer combo and that is less expensive and just as good for our purposes.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1515 Old 07-05-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
That'll do it.

Although they do also make a GLN9000 Base that is not a Paint / Primer combo and that is less expensive and just as good for our purposes.
Thanks. As long as the primer doesn't cause a problem. I saw two versions of a GLN9011 that had a primer version and a non-primer version, but the non-primer version was only in stock as a gallon (looked like we didn't need anywhere near that much). Only saw +primer in 9000. 1750 also looked to be +primer only, so I figured the cheaper glidden should be okay by your recommendations.

Have the frame built thus far and will mount the sintra soon and start surface repairs, but it will still be a while before the move, being able to spray (don't want to move it after paint), and actually get a projector on it to show pictures off here
post #1503 of 1515 Old 07-05-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

My Amazon Sintra is due on Monday. Got a call from the shipper that one side had a small amount of some surface damage due to a portion of the exterior package tearing, but that one side was pristine.

It's a shame you even have to concern yourself with priming, but done right, it can help make things even more refined.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1504 of 1515 Old 07-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I ordered the Rustoleum white pearl and sterling silver from Amazon two weeks ago. Just found out they cancelled my order. Anyone having trouble getting these paints? Alternative sources? Lowes has it on the website but requires you to order a minimum of two.

EDIT: Amazon said they had 4 of silver and 13 of pearl in stock. I reordered them. Will wait and see what happens. I get the 1.0 mm needle tomorrow. Besides the Sintra this paint will be the last thing I need.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #1505 of 1515 Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Did you call Customer Service to inquire as to why the order was cancelled?

I had 3 consecutive instances where they shipped 2 Quarts together in one Box with almost no cushioning, and all three times they broke open in transit.

They finally shipped the order in two separate boxe at my urging s and no problemo.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1506 of 1515 Old 07-08-2014, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post
I ordered the Rustoleum white pearl and sterling silver from Amazon two weeks ago. Just found out they cancelled my order. Anyone having trouble getting these paints? Alternative sources? Lowes has it on the website but requires you to order a minimum of two.

EDIT: Amazon said they had 4 of silver and 13 of pearl in stock. I reordered them. Will wait and see what happens. I get the 1.0 mm needle tomorrow. Besides the Sintra this paint will be the last thing I need.
Got mine in today from Amazon (White Pearl). Packaging was poor and the box was smashed, but the contents are fine.
post #1507 of 1515 Old 07-11-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please help with the "recipe"

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I purchased a projector a while back (InFocus X10) for very cheap. I then painted a screen based on the projectorcentral forums. It is Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Smooth Enamel Satin Extra White, # B20 W 51.

I've found that it creates hotspots and also has severe graininess on darker images. It looks amazing for animated movies such as Monsters, Inc., etc., but is severely lacking on darker images. I just replaced my bulb hoping to alleviate some of the issues - which did help some. I also am limited in my availability to make the room completely dark. During night hours, I can get pretty dark, but during the day it is entirely impossible. I also like to watch sports with some lighting on anyway.

I've decided that I should switch to a gray screen, but have no idea what shade or sheen. I've read so many contradictory forums regarding sheen in particular. After reading through threads until my eyes feel as if they are bleeding, I've decided that I should try SilverFire, although there appear to be MANY variations of it, and I can't seem to find the "recipe" anywhere.

At any rate, it appears that based on projectorcentral's calculator, I'm would get 18 fL at my viewing distance on a 103" screen with 1.0 gain. However, I don't believe that considers my ambient light issues.

If somebody could help point me in the right direction, I'd be greatly appreciative of your help.

Thanks everyone!
post #1508 of 1515 Old 07-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medisinyl View Post
Got mine in today from Amazon (White Pearl). Packaging was poor and the box was smashed, but the contents are fine.
I did finally receive my paint from Amazon. The white pearl arrived yesterday and the sterling silver today. Boxes were in good shape by the packing inside could have been better. They rattled around alot. The pearl was fine but the seal under the lid of the silver detached an inch or so allowing a little paint to leak out. Not enough to get out from under the lid but I wiped it all up and tightened the lid good until I am ready to mix it all up. I think I have to finish a tree house before I can get the Sintra and start fabricating the new frame. Ah, summer.

I put the 1.0 mm needle in the 2900 sprayer and will mix up some extra white paint to get a feel for the proper viscosity and how the sprayers feels. Garage door could use a couple extra coats. Quick question for 2900 owners. Does the brass tip and needle need to come out when cleaning or just the plastic end parts? I had the Wagner CS DD previously.

post #1509 of 1515 Old 07-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeda99 View Post
After reading through threads until my eyes feel as if they are bleeding, I've decided that I should try SilverFire, although there appear to be MANY variations of it, and I can't seem to find the "recipe" anywhere.
The ingredients/instructions are in the first post of this thread. It gets updated periodically (hence the various colors/fonts). I went through it recently and most of the rest of the thread and typed up my own set of instructions to print out. These are not MississippiMan/pb_maxxx approved:

SILVER FIRE v2.5

Colorant Components
100 ml filtered/distilled water (rinsing color components from utensils)
50 ml Liquitex Basics - Napthol Crimson Red
25 ml Liquitex Basics - Phthalocyanine Green
14 ml Liquitex Basics - UltraMarine Blue
10 ml Liquitex Basics - Cadmium Yellow - Deep Hue

Viscosity Components
16 oz. Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane Matte Finish (water-based)
24 - 36 oz. Distilled or Filtered water

Reflective Base Components
Silver Fire v2.5 hue (Colorant amount in ounces – oz.) 1.0____2.0____3.0____4.0____5.0
Rustoleum Metallic Accents – White Pearl.......................20_____21_____22_____2 3_____24
Rustoleum Metallic Accents – Sterling Silver....................20_____21_____22_____23_ ____24
Behr 1850 UPW Flat (add’l 6 oz. for graininess)..............10_____10_____10_____10__ ___10
Liquitex Basics Gold.............................................. .....1.50____1.75____2.00___2.25____2.50

Mixing Instructions
1. Mix Viscosity components in a 2-gallon plastic container. Add 16 oz. distilled water initially.
2. Add the Reflective Base components (volumes based on Silver Fire v2.5 hue selected) individually to the Viscosity components while mixing. Rinse measuring cup into the mix with distilled water between ingredients.
3. Pour through gallon-size nylon mesh paint strainer into separate container to check viscosity. Poured at a steady rate (width of pinky) should partially fill the strainer, but then drop though at a rate consistent with flow from the mixed paint container. Add distilled water to achieve proper viscosity.
4. Mix Colorant components in separate container. Rinse measuring tool between colors in the container of 100 ml distilled water. Add all the distilled rinse water and mix thoroughly. Color should be similar to dark chocolate.
5. Add the proper colorant volume (in ounces) based on the selected hue (i.e., 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, etc.) to the Viscosity/Reflective Base mixture while mixing thoroughly with squirrel cage mixer.
6. Pour final mix through nylon mesh paint strainer into airtight container for storage. Add distilled water to thin if necessary.

Application
1. Use Graco HV-2900 HVLP sprayer with 1.0 mm needle. Adjust output 1/2 turn down.
2. Mix paint and pour through nylon strainer into sprayer reservoir
3. Paint is applied in dusters (3 feet/second) with 70% overlap. Allow to dry between coats (30-45 min.).
4. Clean sprayer nozzle and needle between coats.
5. Apply 7-8 coats.

post #1510 of 1515 Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I'd say by only giving them a cursory glance that they appear to be dead on the money.

.....except that if a Fan is used and dry time is 30 minutes or less, I myself do not find it necessary to clean the Gun every coat. More along the lines of every 3 coats.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1511 of 1515 Old 07-11-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post
The ingredients/instructions are in the first post of this thread. It gets updated periodically (hence the various colors/fonts). I went through it recently and most of the rest of the thread and typed up my own set of instructions to print out. These are not MississippiMan/pb_maxxx approved:

SILVER FIRE v2.5

Colorant Components
100 ml filtered/distilled water (rinsing color components from utensils)
50 ml Liquitex Basics - Napthol Crimson Red
25 ml Liquitex Basics - Phthalocyanine Green
14 ml Liquitex Basics - UltraMarine Blue
10 ml Liquitex Basics - Cadmium Yellow - Deep Hue

Viscosity Components
16 oz. Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane Matte Finish (water-based)
24 - 36 oz. Distilled or Filtered water

Reflective Base Components
Silver Fire v2.5 hue (Colorant amount in ounces – oz.) 1.0____2.0____3.0____4.0____5.0
Rustoleum Metallic Accents – White Pearl.......................20_____21_____22_____2 3_____24
Rustoleum Metallic Accents – Sterling Silver....................20_____21_____22_____23_ ____24
Behr 1850 UPW Flat (add’l 6 oz. for graininess)..............10_____10_____10_____10__ ___10
Liquitex Basics Gold.............................................. .....1.50____1.75____2.00___2.25____2.50

Mixing Instructions
1. Mix Viscosity components in a 2-gallon plastic container. Add 16 oz. distilled water initially.
2. Add the Reflective Base components (volumes based on Silver Fire v2.5 hue selected) individually to the Viscosity components while mixing. Rinse measuring cup into the mix with distilled water between ingredients.
3. Pour through gallon-size nylon mesh paint strainer into separate container to check viscosity. Poured at a steady rate (width of pinky) should partially fill the strainer, but then drop though at a rate consistent with flow from the mixed paint container. Add distilled water to achieve proper viscosity.
4. Mix Colorant components in separate container. Rinse measuring tool between colors in the container of 100 ml distilled water. Add all the distilled rinse water and mix thoroughly. Color should be similar to dark chocolate.
5. Add the proper colorant volume (in ounces) based on the selected hue (i.e., 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, etc.) to the Viscosity/Reflective Base mixture while mixing thoroughly with squirrel cage mixer.
6. Pour final mix through nylon mesh paint strainer into airtight container for storage. Add distilled water to thin if necessary.

Application
1. Use Graco HV-2900 HVLP sprayer with 1.0 mm needle. Adjust output 1/2 turn down.
2. Mix paint and pour through nylon strainer into sprayer reservoir
3. Paint is applied in dusters (3 feet/second) with 70% overlap. Allow to dry between coats (30-45 min.).
4. Clean sprayer nozzle and needle between coats.
5. Apply 7-8 coats.
Thanks so much guys! Is it possible to roll this mix with a fine foam roller? I don't own a sprayer, and while I don't mind the idea of purchasing one, I'm not sure my wife would approve of my use of it inside our house. Thanks again!
post #1512 of 1515 Old 07-11-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks so much guys! Is it possible to roll this mix with a fine foam roller? I don't own a sprayer, and while I don't mind the idea of purchasing one, I'm not sure my wife would approve of my use of it inside our house. Thanks again!
No

SF is spray only. Rolling would result in too much sheen and reflectivity.

But .....take heart, I often spray inside very expensive homes, around furniture that cost more than my Vehicle. I simply cover everything close at hand with thin, inexpensive plastic, or at most, make myself a temporary Paint booth out of Plastic and Thumbtacks.

Absolutely some care must be taken and certain things allowed for, but since each coat usually takes less than 1 minute to apply, and the Gun is a HVLP...there really isn't much to worry about.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1513 of 1515 Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
No

SF is spray only. Rolling would result in too much sheen and reflectivity.

But .....take heart, I often spray inside very expensive homes, around furniture that cost more than my Vehicle. I simply cover everything close at hand with thin, inexpensive plastic, or at most, make myself a temporary Paint booth out of Plastic and Thumbtacks.

Absolutely some care must be taken and certain things allowed for, but since each coat usually takes less than 1 minute to apply, and the Gun is a HVLP...there really isn't much to worry about.
Got it - thanks again. How to I decide what hue is best for my situation (i.e. medium ambient light and the necessity to watch daytime sports with relatively high ambient light)? Would I be best going with the 5, or would I sacrifice too much during low ambient light during night time movies, which is really the primary use?
post #1514 of 1515 Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Got it - thanks again. How to I decide what hue is best for my situation (i.e. medium ambient light and the necessity to watch daytime sports with relatively high ambient light)? Would I be best going with the 5, or would I sacrifice too much during low ambient light during night time movies, which is really the primary use?
It seems many have the misconception that a screen that performs well in ambient light suffers in controlled lighting.

In fact the opposite is true. If a paint can produce deep Blacks, Vibrant colors, and maintain excellent Whites in ambient light, it will absolutely stun in controlled lighting.

The real issue you have it that you have a X10, a low lumen / Low Contrast PJ. Even at it's closest possible Throw distance the best you can get is 19 fl. @ 103"

Under those auspicious limitations I would suggest Silver Fire v2.5 3.0

Nothing darker..........and do what you can to mitigate what you call "High Ambient Light".

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1515 of 1515 Old 07-12-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
It seems many have the misconception that a screen that performs well in ambient light suffers in controlled lighting.

In fact the opposite is true. If a paint can produce deep Blacks, Vibrant colors, and maintain excellent Whites in ambient light, it will absolutely stun in controlled lighting.

The real issue you have it that you have a X10, a low lumen / Low Contrast PJ. Even at it's closest possible Throw distance the best you can get is 19 fl. @ 103"

Under those auspicious limitations I would suggest Silver Fire v2.5 3.0

Nothing darker..........and do what you can to mitigate what you call "High Ambient Light".
Thank you!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List