Well, I was a bit nervous about trying the Silver Fire 2.5 on my electric screen so instead I decided to test it out on the old sheet of WilsonArt Designer White (5'X10') that I used to use as my screen in the center room in my house. I had never used an HVLP sprayer before. I purchased the Wagner Control Spray Max along with the Detail Front End Kit.
Some difficulties/issues to look out for if you are a newb like me..
1. To me the hardest part of following the Silver Fire recipe was measuring liquids that aren't very "liquidy" like the acrylic paint. I think weight would be much easier to use than fluid measures since it really isn't that fluid when it comes out of the tubes. Put a little container on my scale and zero it out...add x amount of red, zero again...etc. Dealing with all of the residue on the measuring containers made accuracy difficult.
2. I'd recommend practicing with the sprayer if you have never done it before. It is pretty simple to use, but I did manage to stumble over the plastic on the floor and the hose a couple of times. Moving side to side, trying to spray a 10' wide panel with an even light coat from 14" away, overlapping each "row" about the same amount, is a bit of a challenge.
3. In my opinion, Silver Fire needs as flat a surface as possible. When I remounted my painted laminate after about a year of being rolled up in the garage, the bottom and top curled back toward the wall a bit and that was noticeable in scenes where the screen was filled with one color. This is not a negative about SF, but more of a rule of thumb for any quality projection surface. I am still undecided as to whether I'll try this on my electric screen since it is not tab tensioned and there is some curl at the sides.
Anyway, the spraying went well and the sheet looked cool...like Silver Fire
. I put it up in my central room just to see how it looked. This room is actually horrible as a theater space...white walls, low white ceiling, and shiny white tiled floor. It was early evening by the time I felt the laminate was dry enough to mount, so it was a dim environment but by no stretch dark like a home theater should be.
In my opinion, given it was a trial run with new materials and equipment, the results were amazing. Since I went with (approximately due to acrylic measuring difficulties) version 4.0, the darks were actually close to black. This is really significant since there is a lot of ambient light in that room. But, what I noticed more than that was how vibrant the colors were. Just gorgeous. Sorry, no pics of the movie.
I took the panel down the next day and it is rolled up in my garage again since it was only a test and I'm not going to use that room as the theater. I will probably try spraying the electric screen I have, but haven't decided yet whether I'll take it down and do it in the garage or to do like MM in his other thread and put a lot of plastic up.
[When I had my laminate screen up in the past I came up with what I feel was an elegant way to "hang" it on the wall. I used a jigsaw to cut an angled slot in two 6" wide 6 ' long boards. Then I mounted the boards vertically on the wall about 9' apart. I then slid the sheet into the slots at each end and I had an easy, slightly curved (like the new tvs!) projection screen that actually looked nice when not in use. It was simple and elegant. The accepted downside was that I left off any black borders as that would detract from the minimalist aesthetic.]