Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1561 of 1568 Old 08-23-2014, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am desperate to get to work on this.
I live in the UK (London) and have no idea how to get started.
MM has recommended I use SF 2.5/3.0. I think my best and cheapest bet is to see if anyone has enough left for a 106" screen to get shipped over?
Also how much this would cost? I still need to buy the spray gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1568 Old 08-23-2014, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
You will need at least just over a quart and a half. Most people mix up a wee more than 3 quarts as specified by the instructions, and most screens are a bit larger than 106". But you might get lucky. It should be shipped USPS International Priority Flat Rate. Nothing would be cheaper. The Cans need to be labeled "Water Based Artist Paint" and sealed heavily with tape. The Cans wrapped in Bubble Wrap...and packed so that they cannot shift about. It's important that they be packed well, as the USPS frowns upon leaky packages.

This is the Gun you should try to get.

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-0417005.../dp/B000DZBP60

It's equivalent in the UK is the Wagner 550, but I believe that model is now coming with the larger 2.2 mm nozzle. It also cost more.

Be sure to check back to review painting instructions once you get your material / gun so that you can nail it on your first go round.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #1563 of 1568 Old 08-23-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Bogoved
Hello, i'm new here. I wanted to say that i bought all the ingredients, graco sprayer and 1mm niddle too. I bought fibreboard board and it is very smooth. Now i'm thinking about priming. DO i need it? Also i want to ask you about sanding between coats, what sandpaper grit do i need?

Thank you for answers. Sorry if there any mistakes because english is not my native.
post #1564 of 1568 Old 08-23-2014, 04:02 PM

this is an example of the board, it is really smooth and i'm thinking, do i need to sand it before painting?

Last edited by Bogoved; 08-23-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: this is an example of the board, it is really smooth and i'm thniknig, do i need to sand it before painting?
post #1565 of 1568 Old 08-24-2014, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

If the Fiberboard is not sealed, it will absorb paint at different levels and rates. Some fiberboard has one side that is almost polished in appearance, and that type can allow the first 2-3 Duster coats to act as a sealer.. No pre-sanding required with sealed or Polished Fiberboard.

It is best to use what is called a Large Sanding Sponge, and you want a Fine Grit. Use it Dry. If you must use Sand Paper, a 220 Grit is good, wrapped around a 8" x 3" x 1" Sanding Block, and used with a very light pressure

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1566 of 1568 Old 08-24-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
If the Fiberboard is not sealed, it will absorb paint at different levels and rates. Some fiberboard has one side that is almost polished in appearance, and that type can allow the first 2-3 Duster coats to act as a sealer.. No pre-sanding required with sealed or Polished Fiberboard.

It is best to use what is called a Large Sanding Sponge, and you want a Fine Grit. Use it Dry. If you must use Sand Paper, a 220 Grit is good, wrapped around a 8" x 3" x 1" Sanding Block, and used with a very light pressure
I have fiberboard with one side sealed, covered with with some plastic material (white plastic film maybe), and other is just polished. Polished side is perfectly smooth. When i'm trying to sand sealed side - white parcticles of dust everywhere, so i think it is just painted with some plastic paint. Sealed side is a little bit rough, not perfectly smooth. So what side is better for painting in this case?

Thank you!!!
post #1567 of 1568 Old 08-24-2014, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The smooth white side, and you DO NOT sand it. The coating is almost always what is called Melemine

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #1568 of 1568 Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The smooth white side, and you DO NOT sand it. The coating is almost always what is called Melemine
That's what I'm using to back my black-out cloth until I get the paint around. It cost me $13 dollars for a 4x8 sheet at Lowes. Sort of like a dry erase board, just not as polished. The only thing that kept me from using it by itself was the hotspotting.

~/\\/\\orlince

BenQ w1070
DIY 100" Screen (will be painting it soon)
Xbox One - The Morlince
RSOC - Xbox One gaming community I help Mod
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List