post #1741 of 1745 Unread 11-26-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roju22 View Post
Great ! Thanks for the link. So if I get grey screen now and later decide to paint it, itshould be ok? I mean, from what I read everybody spray on white base color. If SF is transparent, will the screen be darker because of grey base color?
Yes.
Try to make sure it's a grey screen with a smooth surface if possible.

Spraying first with a true primer might be recommended to make sure the paint sticks to the screen well. The base color won't make a big difference though, SF is surprisingly opaque after the proper amount of coats. It's only 17%-24% transparent.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 11-26-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1745 Unread Yesterday, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does negative gain(0.8) of the screen that will be painted affect the overall gain?
post #1743 of 1745 Unread Yesterday, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roju22 View Post
Does negative gain(0.8) of the screen that will be painted affect the overall gain?
After the proper amount of coats of SF it shouldn't make much difference AND 0.8gain is so close to 1.0gain that there shouldn't be any visible difference at all for your case.

Even a black and white striped pattern shouldn't show through if you use primer before painting, so that'd remove any worry..though your surface shouldn't show through either way.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; Yesterday at 05:49 AM.
post #1744 of 1745 Unread Yesterday, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Oops....

Gotta fo some cirrecting here.

Silver Fire is more Translucent than stated. The whole premise behind Silver Fire is based upon it's having both a reflective surface that is as thin as possible as well as a under lying mildly reflective & opaque layer that stops further absorption and conserves a percentage of the brighter elements if the image.

A Gray sustrate will most definitely reduce overall gain, as well as affect the White levels, working toward negating the very advantages of the SF application taken as a whole.

There is a reason SF is designed as it is...and that means doing a build as specified. Every variable of SF is based around a balance between absobtion and reflection.

So...the correct response to Roku22 is:
Yes....you'd have to Prime a Gray surface before applying SF if you are looking to reap full advantage. Better to just start out with a White Screen and paint SF directly onto it from the start. You saw the results I achieved on the thread Ftoast linked to (btw..thanks) so why do it any other way?

BTW...I am not aware of any Tab Tensioned screens that cone with High Contrast Gray surfaces. All are Matte White.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com

Last edited by MississippiMan; Yesterday at 06:59 AM.
post #1745 of 1745 Unread Today, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need a inceilling screen and in Slovenia I can only get Screenline screen white or high contrast grey. I'm not too sure in my diy abilities so i would like to try out the grey screen first. My living room is all white and I know white would work.
My plan is to paint the screen if I will not be satisfied with it. I would have to order stuff from USA. I can only buy liquitex basics colors here.
So I'm gathering information about everything. The screen looks amazing and if I had any chance to use a fixed screen that would be my first choice.
Reply DIY Screen Section