The Official Silver Fire V.2 Thread. - Page 62 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
post #1831 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Well here's the deal. You are going to have to equalize the edges around the perimeter....make then flat so when you run off the Top/Bottom/Side edges there is no drop-off.

Is the edge of the Sintra unsupported, or backed all the way out to the edge?
Okay. That shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'll give myself plenty of room with plastic too.

It's fully supported around the entire perimeter with the exception of the last inch and a half for the led lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
Well I got my sintra up! Unfortunately I wasn't able to spray it before we painted...but oh well. I'll put plastic up. I'm spraying my screen on Saturday morning and wanted to make sure this all looks good one last time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SILVER FIRE v2.5 3.0

STEPS I PLAN TO DO
1) mix the colorant components seperately and set aside
2) mix viscosity + reflective components together using squirrel mixer
3) strain step #2 above using nylon paint strainer (should have consistancy of milk...add water if needed)
4) mix colorant in using squirrel mixer

NOTES
i will be using a few different size syringes for measuring my colorant
i will be using the "1000ml Electric HVLP Air Spray Gun Kit 600W Motor Paint Sprayer 1.0mm Nozzle DIY" sprayer from amazon

I can understand fully why MM said to paint the screen first.... thats a big job now overspray is a bitch..

I like the set up color though... cool what shade of grey is that on the the wall or what color is it?
post #1833 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little pebble View Post
I can understand fully why MM said to paint the screen first.... thats a big job now overspray is a bitch..

I like the set up color though... cool what shade of grey is that on the the wall or what color is it?
Yea for sure. I have tons of plastic leftover from other jobs though. I should be able to get it all nicely setup. It's almost like a greyish purple...my wife picked it out. I forget what it's called.
post #1834 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 225
As I get closer to being able to spray (and thereby closer to being able to try out SF as it's meant to be applied), I'm realizing an important aspect with spraying that I keep overlooking..

Is there a safe way to store the gun between coats, or an easy way to rinse it between them (like removing and sealing the paint-cup and then simply blasting water through the gun as a rinse)..OR do I need to breakdown and completely clean this bugger 8 separate times roughly every 45minutes?
Because that sounds like the least fun option.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #1835 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Considering this route but the cost of materials for a single 90" screen looks like it's going to be abit much. Is there a forum member who happens to sell this formula pre-mixed?

post #1836 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
As I get closer to being able to spray (and thereby closer to being able to try out SF as it's meant to be applied), I'm realizing an important aspect with spraying that I keep overlooking..

Is there a safe way to store the gun between coats, or an easy way to rinse it between them (like removing and sealing the paint-cup and then simply blasting water through the gun as a rinse)..OR do I need to breakdown and completely clean this bugger 8 separate times roughly every 45minutes?
Because that sounds like the least fun option.
The Gun can be left "as is" for 2 or three coats, then broke down and cleaned...which by the way takes all of 3-4 minutes.

It's really simple and quick. But I suppose you have to "go there" to realize that.

OK...Ok...I'll make a gun cleaning video....again. Just to put that Dog down.
Ftoast likes this.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #1837 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
The Gun can be left "as is" for 2 or three coats, then broke down and cleaned...which by the way takes all of 3-4 minutes.

It's really simple and quick. But I suppose you have to "go there" to realize that.

nice!
post #1838 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

If you've got a video already that you still feel is relevant (I'm not sure how much these things really change) it'd be great to post a link in the first post to this thread..if there isn't one already and I just missed it.

Is it safe to just leave the gun out for those 2-3coats while they dry or should it be bagged or left with its head in a cup of water or something?

Three breakdowns sounds a lot better and I can certainly imagine it getting easier and faster with a little practice.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #1839 of 1852 Old 01-23-2015, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
If you've got a video already that you still feel is relevant (I'm not sure how much these things really change) it'd be great to post a link in the first post to this thread..if there isn't one already and I just missed it.

Is it safe to just leave the gun out for those 2-3coats while they dry or should it be bagged or left with its head in a cup of water or something?

Three breakdowns sounds a lot better and I can certainly imagine it getting easier and faster with a little practice.
It does, although it isn't hard from the beginning.

The older Cleaning videos involved the Wagner CS heads, but the method is essentially the same.

You unscrew the Spray Head from the Paint Cup (in a sink) and rinse off the exterior of the Siphon Draw Tube.
You unscrew the Nozzle Ring and remove the Air Atomizer Cover and then remove and Rinse the inset Needle Cover.
You invert the Head and pull off the Siphon Draw Tube and rinse water through it.
Placing a finger over the larger Air Draw Hole, you direct a strong stream of water down the Draw Tube orifice so that the water exits out and around the open Needle assembly.
Do the latter until the water runs clear (10 seconds)
Re-assemble.

Usually, cleaning is done whenever you also load up the Paint Cup, and that happens about every 3 coats if you start out with a 3/4 full Cup.

Really large screens, where your painting for 2+ minutes and using 1/2+ a Cup will cause the Gun to heat up. Heat will quickly thicken the paint inside the Needle orifice, reducing flow....so yeah...if your painting a 160"er, a cleaning every 2 coats or even every coat would be best.
Also.........Excessive long drying times due to high humidity with cooler temps can make it necessary to clean between coats...but at 3-4 minutes per...so what?

I do wipe the Needle tip with a cloth or even my fingertip after each coat, to help prevent any paint that is on the outside from gumming up / blocking the paint flow.

And after every job is completely done, I remove the Needle itself, rinse the gun as normal, wipe the Needle clean, and let the Gun dry out un-assembled.

I gotta say, everything above happens very quickly, and with practice / repetition, a 3 minute cleaning is very much a standard effort.

A movie depicting the entire process...including Needle removal... will follow, edited into this Post, as well as posted as a new Thread for easy access.
eleazar and Ftoast like this.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #1840 of 1852 Old 01-24-2015, 04:08 PM

I messed up my silver fire screen pretty bad. Need help on best way to fix it. I'm for coats in on sintra ... And need to start over. What's the best way to do that?
post #1841 of 1852 Old 01-24-2015, 04:09 PM

I was an idiot and forgot to add only 3oz of colorant.... Instead I added the entire thing without thinking. It's quite sparkly.
post #1842 of 1852 Old 01-24-2015, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
I was an idiot and forgot to add only 3oz of colorant.... Instead I added the entire thing without thinking. It's quite sparkly.
Sand the existing coats to dull down the reflective effect....and also spray on 3 light coats of UPW on top the current coats

Then the best thing to do to salvage the stuff is to add a full 12 oz of UPW to what you have left.

So how much mix did you start out with, exactly how much Colorant did you make / mix in.....and how much mix is currently left?

Man....ya had to go and get all "Narhic_fd" on us, eh?

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #1843 of 1852 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question UK - Resources

Hi , Bit of a newbie here so go easy on me.

Really really impressed with the Silver Fire Paint (been looking at loads of forums and these has the most positive feedback) !

So how well can it handle ambient light or even sunlight into the room (not direct on screen)?, i'm thinking of putting a projector in our living room but very concerned on the spend if we aren't going to be able to use it till the sun goes down! It will be the deciding factor between a tiny 50" plasma or a reasonable 100" - I know which one i'm gunning for.

Can anyone help by converting the brands / makes of paints for Silver fire to some paints that can be found in UK , as been on amazon and its very expensive for the ones i can find and obviously a little more tricky to buy the ones i cant find .

Thanks
post #1844 of 1852 Old Today, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2OBD View Post
Hi , Bit of a newbie here so go easy on me.

Really really impressed with the Silver Fire Paint (been looking at loads of forums and these has the most positive feedback) !

So how well can it handle ambient light or even sunlight into the room (not direct on screen)?, i'm thinking of putting a projector in our living room but very concerned on the spend if we aren't going to be able to use it till the sun goes down! It will be the deciding factor between a tiny 50" plasma or a reasonable 100" - I know which one i'm gunning for.

Can anyone help by converting the brands / makes of paints for Silver fire to some paints that can be found in UK , as been on amazon and its very expensive for the ones i can find and obviously a little more tricky to buy the ones i cant find .

Thanks
i take it we are talking British pounds here... at that exchange rate i would just ask MM himself and if using pounds i would have bought it ages ago...
flick through previous pages and i'm sure there are plenty of examples of what your looking for.

While i'm here does silverfire hot spot?
post #1845 of 1852 Old Today, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

R2OBD,

Silver Fire in it's mid-level to darker iterations can do a fantastic job under some of the most extreme situations.

But it has to have some help along the way. Choosing the right Projector for both the Screen size, location, and lighting circumstances is also important.

You can't expect a Boy to do a Man's job chopping firewood simply by giving him a Pile of Wood, a Chopping Block, and a Hand Hatchet. No....that Boy can become a Man with the right Axe in hand.

So what type of Axe are you thinking of using to chop down your Ambient Light tree? A 100" screen is certainly a start, but if you cannot at least mute incoming Sunlight and keep it from directly washing against the screen, then even a bright LCD TV display is going to suffer. Your choice of projector and where you mount it can make all the difference, and dictate exactly what version of SF you'll need.

As far as obtaining the SF paint, where there is a will there is a way. It's certainly not the least expensive application out there, nor the easiest to obtain as individual components, but the effort and expenditure it does require easily is justified by the end results and any comparison you might make against similar Mfg screens that will cost well over 2000 quid at 100" diagonal.

All that said, if you have issues getting your ingredients together, PM me and I'll do whatever I can to help.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #1846 of 1852 Old Today, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

little pebble,

Silver does not hot spot....although there are a few who will go to almost any length to state otherwise.

Silver Fire is a High Contrast surface that retains or improves gain. As such, if a projector has anything less than 100% perfect Light Uniformity, under some circumstances, such as viewing a pure white or blue image field, one can subtly (with emphasis on subtly) discern a slightly brighter center than what is seen at the extreme edges of a screen.

And that is called "Warm Spotting"...and the "warm spot" isn't really a spot, it amounts to over 80% of the screen's area.

Hot spotting refers to overt reflection within "localized" brighter areas. Glaring whites.....bright colors that actually lose contrast because of the bleaching excessive localized gain can produce.....those are the symptoms of hot spotting.

But...those who might have an agenda to discount an application will use a broad brush to paint any non-unity gain surface as being subject to hot spotting. When...in truth....the only reality is that the lower gain screens simply cannot show the non-uniformity of the light being projected.

A seemingly popular, but wholly dismissive method to highlight such lack of uniformity and call it hot spotting is to take a snap shot of a bright screen image then reverse the image into negative. Another is to only show ultra bright, primarily white imagery. Simply put, with enough effort, almost anyone can slant such observed results to fit their own point of view.

Instead, look to the reports and observations other SF end users post. There are a great many.

Or take my work for it. You could do that...I wouldn't mind.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #1847 of 1852 Old Today, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First I just want to say thanks for all you do MM. This is incredible.

So I've called the local sign shops in my area and I'm unable to find a piece of sintra bigger than 4x8. They wanted $130 for a 4x8 piece. I'd like to make at least a 106"+ screen (still undecided) and need to find something to spray silver fire on. I am going to build my own frame.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm in the Dayton, OH area.

Thanks!
post #1848 of 1852 Old Today, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Once more, into the Breach......

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleazar View Post
First I just want to say thanks for all you do MM. This is incredible.

So I've called the local sign shops in my area and I'm unable to find a piece of sintra bigger than 4x8. They wanted $130 for a 4x8 piece. I'd like to make at least a 106"+ screen (still undecided) and need to find something to spray silver fire on. I am going to build my own frame.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm in the Dayton, OH area.

Thanks!
OK.....let's try this and no flubs.

Laird Plastics

2066 Valley St
Dayton, OH 45404
Phone:800-873-8416

Wholesale Price: $105.00 for 5' x 10' x 6 mm
Charge for 1 cut $10.00 For a 110"er you would need 2 cuts to get 58" x 100" (...leaving 2" around all side to screw the board to the wall and cover with Trim)
Call and ask for "DALE"
Be certain to tell him your call in reference to "Maurice" from Memphis's call to him about getting ther Sintra for a Home Theater screen.

Also, be certain to state that at least on side be completely free of blemishes, scratches, or chips. Also, if available, ask for the Sintra to be sheathed in two large sheets of Cardboard for shipment. That might cost you $5.00 a sheet.

All in all you would still come out ahead, paying $135.00 total for the full size you need, cut to order, and wrapped for travel.

Now if any or all of this seems to be too much to do....just PM me and I'll be glad to get'ter dun for you.

But please....no flubs if you contact them. These Guys are Wholesalers, so dealing with the Public is not usually in their playbook. I deal with Piedmont and Laird Plastic locations across the country and it does my relationship no good at all if people miscue after my having made initial calls on their behalf and I have to call again to get things back in order.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #1849 of 1852 Unread Today, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
OK.....let's try this and no flubs.

Laird Plastics

2066 Valley St
Dayton, OH 45404
Phone:800-873-8416

Wholesale Price: $105.00 for 5' x 10' x 6 mm
Charge for 1 cut $10.00 For a 110"er you would need 2 cuts to get 58" x 100" (...leaving 2" around all side to screw the board to the wall and cover with Trim)
Call and ask for "DALE"
Be certain to tell him your call in reference to "Maurice" from Memphis's call to him about getting ther Sintra for a Home Theater screen.

Also, be certain to state that at least on side be completely free of blemishes, scratches, or chips. Also, if available, ask for the Sintra to be sheathed in two large sheets of Cardboard for shipment. That might cost you $5.00 a sheet.

All in all you would still come out ahead, paying $135.00 total for the full size you need, cut to order, and wrapped for travel.

Now if any or all of this seems to be too much to do....just PM me and I'll be glad to get'ter dun for you.

But please....no flubs if you contact them. These Guys are Wholesalers, so dealing with the Public is not usually in their playbook. I deal with Piedmont and Laird Plastic locations across the country and it does my relationship no good at all if people miscue after my having made initial calls on their behalf and I have to call again to get things back in order.
Thanks MM! You are a sir and a gentleman

I will definitely contact you as soon as we decide on a screen size. I don't want to risk messing up your contacts and I'm a complete novice at these things.

Thanks again!
post #1850 of 1852 Unread Today, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wink UK

Quote:
R2OBD,

Silver Fire in it's mid-level to darker iterations can do a fantastic job under some of the most extreme situations.

But it has to have some help along the way. Choosing the right Projector for both the Screen size, location, and lighting circumstances is also important.

You can't expect a Boy to do a Man's job chopping firewood simply by giving him a Pile of Wood, a Chopping Block, and a Hand Hatchet. No....that Boy can become a Man with the right Axe in hand.

So what type of Axe are you thinking of using to chop down your Ambient Light tree? A 100" screen is certainly a start, but if you cannot at least mute incoming Sunlight and keep it from directly washing against the screen, then even a bright LCD TV display is going to suffer. Your choice of projector and where you mount it can make all the difference, and dictate exactly what version of SF you'll need.

As far as obtaining the SF paint, where there is a will there is a way. It's certainly not the least expensive application out there, nor the easiest to obtain as individual components, but the effort and expenditure it does require easily is justified by the end results and any comparison you might make against similar Mfg screens that will cost well over 2000 quid at 100" diagonal.

All that said, if you have issues getting your ingredients together, PM me and I'll do whatever I can to help.
Thanks MM you are indeed a gentleman , your words are full of wisdom.

I was looking for a powerful projector coupled with a good contrast ratio , i was looking into the Optoma HD25-LV 3600 lumens and 20,000:1 CR (cant post links yet)

Whats the thoughts ?

I can limit the incoming light to an extent and most the use will be in the evening , and don't forget the UK doesn't have that many sunny days .

Position wise i'm ceiling mounting from an 8' ceiling and keeping the screen pretty high

Its really the Rust-Oleums , Liquitex and behr I'm struggling to find.

What rough cost does the 100" finished screen come too? just so i can budget...

Cheers all.

post #1851 of 1852 Unread Today, 06:01 PM

Just to give an update on my failure for others to learn what not to do. I measured and mixed all of the ingredients of silver fire 2.5. Instead of combining only 3oz of colorant for 3.0 i just dumped it all in...which was 6.7oz. I didn't realize i messed up until after the 4th coat. I knew something was wrong based on how it was turning out.

This is what i looked like:

I think i screwed up in more ways than just the mixture though...

-I sprayed way too slow....I need to speed it up a lot
-I didn't have the consistency of the paint correct...it was too thick. I needed to add more water.
-I didn't let the paint dry long enough in between coats. 15 minutes with a fan wasn't enough (probably because of me going too slow)

I talked to MM and will be adding about 16-20oz of white to the mixture to bring it back to where it needs to be. I'll give it another go on Wednesday and see what happens
post #1852 of 1852 Unread Today, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Hey...that just looks like you haven't filled in your area yet. The screen does not get a solid look until after the 5th coat or so.

You got my number...call me to discuss this.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page