The Official Silver Fire V.2 Thread. - Page 71 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #2101 of 2116 Old 04-12-2015, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Oh there you are.....

Look to your Thread for an answer.
Oh no, this is for a different project - mine will be the acrylic mirror, and I have a couple buddies who want to try their own painted screens, so we're going to group our builds together for a "spray day" one of these weekends. One has a 500-lumen Aaxa LED projector (surprisingly bright for being relatively low lumens) & is interested in a Silver Fire after seeing the awesome pictures here, so he's wondering what material would be best to pick up from Home Depot this week (Lowes is also close by him).

Also, his aspect ratio is 16:10, so I'm not sure if he would need to trim the standard size or what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2116 Old 04-12-2015, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaido View Post
Oh no, this is for a different project - mine will be the acrylic mirror, and I have a couple buddies who want to try their own painted screens, so we're going to group our builds together for a "spray day" one of these weekends. One has a 500-lumen Aaxa LED projector (surprisingly bright for being relatively low lumens) & is interested in a Silver Fire after seeing the awesome pictures here, so he's wondering what material would be best to pick up from Home Depot this week (Lowes is also close by him).

Also, his aspect ratio is 16:10, so I'm not sure if he would need to trim the standard size or what.
OK.....

Look for a pristine piece of "Thrifty White Hardboard"....a Melamine coated 1/8" inch thick sheet.

For 16:10 have them (Home Depot) cut it to 77" x 48" (91" diagonal )

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #2103 of 2116 Old 04-12-2015, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
OK.....

Look for a pristine piece of "Thrifty White Hardboard"....a Melamine coated 1/8" inch thick sheet.

For 16:10 have them (Home Depot) cut it to 77" x 48" (91" diagonal )
How much border do people usually do for edge masking? I have a roll of that Prostar tape you recommended (the telescope stuff) coming in (something like 1-5/8" thick).
post #2104 of 2116 Old 04-12-2015, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaido View Post
How much border do people usually do for edge masking? I have a roll of that Prostar tape you recommended (the telescope stuff) coming in (something like 1-5/8" thick).
You could get by with using that Tape but on a 16:10 screen, every inch you reduce the height reduces the width 1.5" to 2" and with 16:9 always a full 2".

Using 4x8 sheets always is restrictive size-wise when Formatting if you are limited to that size material.

Using a Mirror at 16:9 it's easy enough to go 84"with the length, 48" height, and wrap the Tape so it covers 1" around the sides. That is enough for a screen that size, and allows you to use the Mirror's surface.

But 16:10 is something else, and it requires that you ether go smaller with a custom cut (48" x 76" <87" diag.> and wrap the edges with the tape, or stick with a larger size 48 x 77" <91" diag.>, and add material around the Back side of the Top and Bottom and Side edges to support some Trim.

Personally, I would simplify things by adding a 1/2" x 6" ring of Plywood around the edges with 1.5" protruding, and cut some Mdf Trim to fit, wrapped in black velvet or covered with the tape. The Plywood would also serve to give you something to use to mount your HangMan French Cleat too.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #2105 of 2116 Old 04-13-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 255
You could simply treat the 16:10 projector as a 16:9 since all your content will just be black-barring the extra aspect height anyway and having a little black-bar overspill above and below your screen will be invisible except when the room is pitch black (and even then, only if your wall behind the screen is light-colored).

In short, my 2cents would be to go for the 16:9 screen instead of the 16:10. You'll get a little more size and it'll fit more content.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #2106 of 2116 Old 04-13-2015, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi somebody can recommend me the best paint for this Short Trow , I looking for High Gain paints

I see this video on youtube about Silver fire (4.0 Gain ) but i cant find

Screen 120" white at moment

Benq W1080ST (The only option was short trow because too many pipes come from ceiling )

High Ambient Ligth because is a Restaurant ( Not directly Sun )

Normally used on Sports ,FutBol ,Hockey , Baseball ( Not problem for Black Levels just looking for clear and color . )

Thanks for you Help

Last edited by marinerito; 04-13-2015 at 08:19 PM.
post #2107 of 2116 Old 04-14-2015, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerito View Post
Hi somebody can recommend me the best paint for this Short Trow , I looking for High Gain paints
Screen 120" white at moment
1st off, the Video's title misquotes the name as being the "gain" of the screen. The "4.0" references the shade / darkness of the Grey color of the screen surface. Actual gain is approx. 1.2

I did not post that Video, and he that did has often made such "misquotes". (...that's being extremely polite,,,)

What type of Screen / Material are you currently using. There is the possibility of applying a Silver Fire application to your existing surface.
Here is a link to a thread that features a Short Throw PJ hitting a re-purposed Mfg Screen
Painting Onto A 106" Tab Tensioned Screen with Silver Fire v2.5 4.0

Quote:
Benq W1080ST (The only option was short trow because too many pipes come from ceiling )

High Ambient Light because is a Restaurant ( Not directly Sun )

Normally used on Sports ,FutBol ,Hockey , Baseball ( Not problem for Black Levels just looking for clear and color . )

Thanks for you Help
A Silver Fire v2.5 4.0 would do you a fine job under most circumstance you'd encounter. If you reduce your screen size to 110" and combine that with SF you could dispense with the search for a overly high gain surface. Such surfaces restrict viewing to an area more closely situated toward the center of the screen, so unless your Restaurant is built like a long Tunnel, you'll want a wide angle of view.

Where are you located. What throw distance did you set your BenQ at?

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #2108 of 2116 Old 04-14-2015, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

MississippiMan, if you still have some pictures handy of the display booth you setup using the short-throw Benq and SF a little while back..if I remember right, that was a smaller screen but really unforgiving placement which might be comparable.

Plus I'm really curious to see how it turned out and don't remember seeing shots yet (sometimes the forum eats pictures).

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #2109 of 2116 Old 04-14-2015, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
MississippiMan, if you still have some pictures handy of the display booth you setup using the short-throw Benq and SF a little while back..if I remember right, that was a smaller screen but really unforgiving placement which might be comparable.

Plus I'm really curious to see how it turned out and don't remember seeing shots yet (sometimes the forum eats pictures).
I only took a very few..so little opportunity. But I will try to conjure them up.

Currently I am just completing a 92" screen over a Fireplace using a BenQ 1500 set at 3'-4". A Silver Fire v2.5 6.0 as dark as the screen was in Barbados.

I'll soon have plenty of shots coming of that installation and as well as Screenies of all sort of content and varying conditions.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #2110 of 2116 Old 04-14-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Currently I am just completing a 92" screen over a Fireplace using a BenQ 1500 set at 3'-4".
Does that mean the w1500 is shelved/tabled at 3'-4" off the floor?
If so, what made you decide on the 1500 instead of a short-throw (or was the 1500 already owned)?

Will be nice to see another sf6. Will this use about the same amount of additional UPW, or will it be a hair darker+highergain? That size should allow some super powers.

post #2111 of 2116 Old 04-14-2015, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

The 1500 is a short throw projector take a look again at the throw distance (3'-4") and screen size that I quoted on here, and by the way the projector is definitely ceiling-mounted.

This is a brand new installation, from scratch and everything is as I chose it to be.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #2112 of 2116 Old 04-14-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Weird, the distance calculator says the Benq w1500 needs 7'-1"ft to make 92" diagonal 16:9, but STILL has it grouped in with the short-throws..
Are there two separate w1500 models, or did you typo the model name?

post #2113 of 2116 Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Weird, the distance calculator says the Benq w1500 needs 7'-1"ft to make 92" diagonal 16:9, but STILL has it grouped in with the short-throws..
Are there two separate w1500 models, or did you typo the model name?
Yeah...weird is right. I was / have been so focused on another Thread where the OP is going with a BenQ W1500 I simply just inserted that PJ into my thoughts, even though I had already purchased and mounted the Short Throw PJ that is in fact going to be used.

The Optoma EH200ST

I gotta apologize for my confusion. I'd like to fall back on my recent head injury as the cause for my befuddled post, but I cannot go on milkin' that Cow forever.

I'm going to bed now.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #2114 of 2116 Old 04-15-2015, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Why the eh200 instead of the gt1080? They look like yet another clone release by Optoma with a $200 price difference (131xe/25e, 141xe/26e anyone?). Does the business version get a longer warranty or add an application important special feature (I see the 200 has mhl but I'm not sure about the gt)?

post #2115 of 2116 Old 04-15-2015, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Both have MHL, both sport 5 yrs Warranty, and the GT1080 states 500 additional points of Contrast as well as adds ISF Certification. The EH200ST has 200 more Lumen coming in at 3K as it does. The GT1080 did get a Review on PC....none exist anywhere on the EW200ST

A predominant reason the EH200ST was chosen was the stated fl at the given size, but it may well be a case of "Optoma-istic" publishing by the Mfg. Honestly, I did not come up with the GT1080 in my search for a 1080p Short Throw because I referenced 3000 lumen as my starting point.

But there it was (...as well as you...) to point out what does in fact does seem to be a $200.00 difference between two essentially identical PJs with identical specifications other than 200 lumen and 500 CR. (...my guess is Office Mgrs just wanna pay more...)

So what to do? Well why not grab a GT1080 and do my own evaluation. I'm using a Chief RPA-O mount so I can quick swap 'em, and the Throw distances are identical so......

..................that's what I did, 15 minutes after reading your post at 5 am. The GT1080 will be here tomorrow, courtesy of Amazon Prime.

It's a'gonna be interesting to call Optoma's bluff on the stated huge difference between fl ( 60 fl vs 123 fl ) at 91" diagonal & 3.3' throw.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #2116 of 2116 Old 04-15-2015, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

For some reason I thought the Optoma ST was going in a sportsbar..upon second reading and more attention it's going over a fireplace. If it's for a residential (non-business) theater, I'm guessing it'll be general content and not just sports, the RGB-fanatic in me (so, basically all of me) wants to know how the 600color-lumen/2200white-lumen Optoma stacks up VS the 1200color-lumen/1700white-lumen Benq ST.

I know the price goes back up (and the lamp costs about $50 more) for the Benq, but have you compared them before for something like this? Does the extra white-brightness from high brilliantcolor settings look decent enough on the Optoma's to make up for the lower color-brightness and dimmer (though slightly cheaper and cooler) lamp?

Either way, I'm excited for some hands-on side-by-side Optoma VS Optoma action.

Edit: just reread the part about a 5year warranty..I can see that being a nice check in Optoma's favor too. Because it doesn't sound standard, how high could the w1080/1085 warranty get I wonder?

Last edited by Ftoast; 04-15-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page