The Official Silver Fire V.2 Thread. - Page 72 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes
post #2131 of 2151 Old 05-07-2015, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
Thx man, I really do love the back lighting. I thought I was just doing it mostly for looks, but now I much prefer it on in all situations. I'm using a Sony HW40ES.
When you have a chance could you take a picture of a 2.39:1 blu-ray? I am interested in seeing what the black bars look like on the screen.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2151 Old 05-07-2015, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindino08 View Post
When you have a chance could you take a picture of a 2.39:1 blu-ray? I am interested in seeing what the black bars look like on the screen.

Thanks!
Sure...i'll grab one tonight.
post #2133 of 2151 Old 05-07-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Here you go...mind you it's still daylight out and i have no curtains on...and it's captain america. It's sorta a dull'ish movie overall. I couldn't find a single scene when skipping around that wasn't dull. But you get the idea of how the black bars are...which was the point.

post #2134 of 2151 Old 05-07-2015, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:

Thanks!
Hey...the HW40 is on sale here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPLHW40ES...rds=BenQ+W7500

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #2135 of 2151 Old 05-07-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
Hey...the HW40 is on sale here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPLHW40ES...rds=BenQ+W7500
Thats being sold by Bass Buys which aren't authorized dealers, so Sony wont honor the 3 year warranty. But according to many sources its going on sale offically in about 10 days at authorized dealers. I'll be a proud owner of one very soon. . Thanks for keeping a look out for me though!
post #2136 of 2151 Old 05-07-2015, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Thats being sold by Bass Buys which aren't authorized dealers, so Sony wont honor the 3 year warranty. But according to many sources its going on sale offically in about 10 days at authorized dealers. I'll be a proud owner of one very soon. . Thanks for keeping a look out for me though!
Simply take the savings and get a 3 year, all inclusive warranty from Square Trade. It is a option right under the "Add to Cart" button.

I always get them for my people. Square Trade covers EVERYTHING including the Lamp. Lightning...Water damage...even Drop-age. Guaranteed 5 Day Service too. SONY's Warranty is exactly what it says it is ....."Limited". And SONY sure as 'ell ain't gonna do you right in 5 Days.

Anyway, as I said, I always get a Square Trade warranty. If a product has 2 Years factory, I get a 4 Year SQ. 3 Year Warranty? Get 4 or 5 Years
Yes, the SQ dosen't kick in for any Factory Covered stuff until that Warranty expires...but for all the uncovered stuff it starts immediately

I'll tell ya...let a Power surge destroy your HDMI Inputs or fry a Power supply and grab a crying towel if all ya got is SONY to rely on.

Nuff said.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #2137 of 2151 Old 05-07-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Simply take the savings and get a 3 year, all inclusive warranty from Square Trade. It is a option right under the "Add to Cart" button.

I always get them for my people. Square Trade covers EVERYTHING including the Lamp. Lightning...Water damage...even Drop-age. Guaranteed 5 Day Service too. SONY's Warranty is exactly what it says it is ....."Limited". And SONY sure as 'ell ain't gonna do you right in 5 Days.

Anyway, as I said, I always get a Square Trade warranty. If a product has 2 Years factory, I get a 4 Year SQ. 3 Year Warranty? Get 4 or 5 Years
Yes, the SQ dosen't kick in for any Factory Covered stuff until that Warranty expires...but for all the uncovered stuff it starts immediately

I'll tell ya...let a Power surge destroy your HDMI Inputs or fry a Power supply and grab a crying towel if all ya got is SONY to rely on.

Nuff said.
Hmm..., I've never used square trade or have even heard much about them. But from what your saying thats a pretty good deal. Does this have to be purchased when you buy or can you buy it a month or year later?

Thanks
post #2138 of 2151 Old 05-07-2015, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Hmm..., I've never used square trade or have even heard much about them. But from what your saying thats a pretty good deal. Does this have to be purchased when you buy or can you buy it a month or year later?

Thanks
I think you have a certain time frame to buy the warranty after you purchase the item. Did you ever look into the 40ES dealer that I PM'ed you about? He is an authorized seller and his prices can't be beat. I purchased from him as did another member.
post #2139 of 2151 Old 05-07-2015, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Any video/pictures of this paint in a full lit room. Can't find any.
Or is it made only for light controlled rooms? How are blacks in the day?
post #2140 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James of Az View Post
Any video/pictures of this paint in a full lit room. Can't find any.
Or is it made only for light controlled rooms? How are blacks in the day?
You are kidding, right?

Painting Onto A 106" Tab Tensioned Screen with Silver Fire v2.5 4.0

A New 2.40:1 Sintra Screen with Silver Fire v2.5 4.0

122" Silver Fire v2.5 5.0 Screen on Barbados

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #2141 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momswgn View Post
I think you have a certain time frame to buy the warranty after you purchase the item. Did you ever look into the 40ES dealer that I PM'ed you about? He is an authorized seller and his prices can't be beat. I purchased from him as did another member.
PM'ed you.
post #2142 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

I'm thinking one of these might go along nicely with my SilverFire theater room

post #2143 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momswgn View Post
Yea I checked the Square Trade site, you have 30 days from purchase to register your product. Need to submit receipt with date of purchase.
post #2144 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
I'm thinking one of these might go along nicely with my SilverFire theater room

I wholehearted agree, however the best product for the best price requires the most work. http://www.fosi.com/

I only use the products they offer because bluntly put....they look the most realistic. You can also get a Custom Star field that represents any Sky you want.

Mesopotamia circa 3000BC
Your "Birth Day dat in your Home Town"
The Southern Cross over Antarctica

.......whatever.
(...they even have Shooting Stars.....)

If you have attic, your job is / will be as easy as it ever can be...which is to say your in for a lot of drilling of 1 mm holes with a 1 mm Drill Bit, and threading 1 mm Fiber into every Hole (400 to 750 average) and doing it again as far as affixing all the Fibers to the Matrix Plate on the Light Engine.

But boy and boy, it is the consummate class act of Star Fields.

Painted Ceilings? hahahah.
LED Panels? hohohohoho.

Here are some good examples of some I have done:

Accept no substitutions.

(BTW...have "been there, done that" several times, I have some really good tips to offer as well....)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leeloo under the Stars-little-.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	707042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bright Starry Starry Night.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	707058   Click image for larger version

Name:	A Hangin Vampire Hottie w-Stars.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	707066  

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #2145 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Not sure if it's the little clusters of time details or what, but those look eerily lifelike. The ceiling trim-light gives a really nice cutoff point to blind your eyes from the corners where wall meets ceiling as well.
That's a well-deserved wow.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #2146 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Not sure if it's the little clusters of time details or what, but those look eerily lifelike. The ceiling trim-light gives a really nice cutoff point to blind your eyes from the corners where wall meets ceiling as well.
That's a well-deserved wow.
Thank you. Your praise means a lot.
You can be sure that doing 'em is a labor of love. Ya gotta do 'em because you love the effect....but not because you love the labor.

One thing is for certain, to get the look you have to go to the trouble to use what does the best job. It's not really the expense...in fact the materials used are not the most expensive. It's just that to use what works and looks the best means you have to work harder at it.

That said, I've done a total of 5 in 10 years, so I'm not pushin' them by any stretch. It can be back breakin' eye burnin', Motrin gobblin' hard work.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #2147 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

They certainly do look amazing. Tips are much appreciated for my setup...because I do plan on doing this one way or another. My home theater is...as you may know...in the basement. The usual 16" (i think) strapping all above the ceiling. I was initially thinking about the whole painting ordeal with a stencil. That is what was used on the picture i posted above. But i'm certainly open to bigger, better ideas Is it still doable in my particular situation with fiber?
post #2148 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Let's start a dedicated Thread for your Projects (Screen / Stars) so we can keep this one fully on Topic. Once that is up, answer the following:

By "Strapping" do you mean a suspended Drop Ceiling?

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #2149 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Let's start a dedicated Thread for your Projects (Screen / Stars) so we can keep this one fully on Topic. Once that is up, answer the following:

Sounds like a plan. I am going away this weekend so I'll post all the information up on Sunday evening or Monday morning and we'll go from there. Thanks again, MM!
post #2150 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Quote:

Eh...I couldn't help myself. I started a new thread. Continue to post #2 I'll be keeping an eye on it and responding throughout the weekend.
post #2151 of 2151 Unread Today, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Orca Film isn't a new revelation...it's be out there and even experimented with for at least 3-4 years. As far as it being acceptable as an alternative to Sintra. as a "whiter", more reflective underlay, it should work if it is applied completely flat.
Though I haven't tried Orca Grow Film, there are a 3 other White reflective type of material I've played around with . I've used a product from HGT supply called Mylar / White Poly - 4-MIL. It has Mylar on one side and white poly on another. I've also used another type of Mylar/White poly material called Easygrow Silver White Lightite Sheeting. And last, I've used a black and white poly called "Panda Film".
The Easygrow deff had the smoothest white side and least amount of imperfections for sure but after very close scrutiny you would still find very tiny bumps here and there that could barely be felt with the tip of your finger. It was smooth alright but not a smooth perfection that Mylar would be. Does a reflective, white type of material not have to be quite as perfect like mylar since white reflective material diffuses light in diff direction unlike Mylar? It would seem to me that those little bumps would null in void the material of having any use as a diffuser or a first surface fusion and if that was the case then the best rout would be just to use Sintra Board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page