2Likes

post #211 of 1603 Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Only if you wanted the SF finish to do more of the Contrast Boosting than you would otherwise be dependent upon with the Auto Iris Feature.

On the 8700, it's (AI) working a bit smoother (...if not really quieter...) and more effectively than the 8350. Personally, I'd still say 2.0 is your ticket.

Okay, 2.0 it is. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1603 Old 03-30-2011, 01:29 PM

Liked: 10
I didn't feel like reading through this whole thread (yet) so forgive me if this is already answered.
I am moving into an apartment (has a big room I can use) and buying an epson 8350. What are the benefits of this screen? What is the total cost? Would I be better off going with a screen from say jamestown for $200 or this? What is the quality compared to? Is this screen only good in complete dark rooms or with ambient light as well?
post #213 of 1603 Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Only if you wanted the SF finish to do more of the Contrast Boosting than you would otherwise be dependent upon with the Auto Iris Feature.

On the 8700, it's (AI) working a bit smoother (...if not really quieter...) and more effectively than the 8350. Personally, I'd still say 2.0 is your ticket.
I have seen the superbowl caps you posted of basically the same setup by another user and am incredibly impressed. But I was thinking, I cannot think of a single time when I would have ambient light in the room (I like to watch movies in the dark). Does that mean I should go lighter than 2.0? Or is 2.0 still the best all around choice?
post #214 of 1603 Old 03-31-2011, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToStart View Post
I have seen the superbowl caps you posted of basically the same setup by another user and am incredibly impressed. But I was thinking, I cannot think of a single time when I would have ambient light in the room (I like to watch movies in the dark). Does that mean I should go lighter than 2.0? Or is 2.0 still the best all around choice?
I feel so. The 8350 still can use a nudge in Contrast...and if you can do that without adversely affecting the rest of the image...that's a good thing every time.

For some, avoiding having to use the Auto Iris feature is desirable. Either they can see the changes to plainly as the Iris opens/closes...or they hear the Motor involved with doing so. Or both.

SF v.2 2.0 pretty much makes everything look fantastic, but....if your watching a darker Movie....in a dark room....that has little reflection index off the walls / ceiling....then the iris will hardly even squeak. Combine that WITH SF v.2 2.0 and you've got'cherself some Interstellar Black levels going on....but the Stars still shine brightly.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #215 of 1603 Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
MMan, I've pulled trigger on an Epson 8700 UB. For serious movie watching, which will only be at night, ambient light will not be a problem. Afternoon movies and sports will have some ambient. Large room with high cathedral ceiling, off-white walls, cherry floor, screen wall is 11 1/2 ft wide, so I think I'll do a 120" diagonal screen - haven't decided on 16:9 or 2:40. Whaddya think about Version 2, 2.0 or if another shade would be better, lay it on me.
Thanks!
post #216 of 1603 Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
hank,

given that most of viewing will be controlled... i think you are right on the money. if you mounted your pj at 12'6"... and your side walls are throwing too much reflection... you could go with V2 2.5
post #217 of 1603 Old 04-04-2011, 04:49 AM

Thanks, pb_maxxx!
post #218 of 1603 Old 04-08-2011, 01:48 PM

Ok mississippi man , now that your jvc X3 is in your possession or on its way , which screen will you be using the SF V2 HG or SF V2 2.0 . Or whatever version of silver fire you choose ?
post #219 of 1603 Old 04-08-2011, 01:54 PM

I just bought a wagner 355 E Pro Power sprayer complete with the back pack and everything from the pawn shop for 20 bucks. I'm trying to figure out how to assemble the piston and the locking attachment to keep the spray tip from falling out. I put everything together and it feels like the piston can fall out easy. Once I figure this out , maybe I have to order a part for this, I can began to spray.
post #220 of 1603 Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtimes View Post

Ok mississippi man , now that your jvc X3 is in your possession or on its way , which screen will you be using the SF V2 HG or SF V2 2.0 . Or whatever version of silver fire you choose ?

Try these beauties;

1. Ordered a JVC x3 on Wed. w/2-Day FedEx for Friday delivery. Shipping charged me for 2 Day....shipped it Ground.
Raised an incredible row...they interceded w/FedEx and have arranged for a Sat AM delivery. On their Ticket, mind you. Still extremely

2. Ordered a "Projector Specific" Chief RPA 281 Mount on Tuesday for delivery Thursday. Received a email on Thursday AM saying: "Out of Stock" Expected delivery....next Wednesday.

I leave this coming Monday early PM.

3. Purchased a RPA 130 Kit. Using the Adjustable Mount piece and fabricating a Temporary PJ Plate out of 1/2" Plywood. If the JVC does arrive tomorrow...it will go up into the air, lemmie tell ya sumpthin!

4. Have constructed a Spray Tent in a Family Room loaded with Scandinavian furniture. (1 couch cost $9K Put extra Plastic over that sucker.

5. I have mixed a SF v2 3.0 mix....loaded the Gun, and squirted my first Duster Coat 17 min. ago. Next Duster in 12 min.

6. Have adequate Beer supply to ward off depression. 6-Packs of Blue Moon, Blue Paddle, and Tiger Lager. So far, 9 gone....3 of each. Rotating.

Almost Squirtin' Time again. Screen Shots Tomorrow PM. Really.

To quote James T. Kirk;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #221 of 1603 Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Showtimes:

you'll probably have to google that product and get a pdf of the schematic of parts. more than likely you are missing a part.

gotta say though... after 4 years... my CS is still going strong.
i was a little upset at it for shooting out blobs and trying to ruin my screen samples this past week... but it wasn't the spray guns fault. thats to be expected when you're naive enough to think you can mix oil paints with water paints and have it spray like the two belong together.
post #222 of 1603 Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Second Coat is up, been drying for 30 minutes...but still "splotchy-wet".

Must be the altitude here.

Must make mention I'm using a Wagster CS DD Power Unit w/Standard CS Spray head. I've placed an Gimbal Motion Fan inside the spray booth....it's 11:40 here in Denver and I want to manage another coat before I wink out. I've never had a Duster take so long to dry before...but then again, it was a Heavy Duster.

Considering the dry time issue, and the loose viscosity of the Mix, I'll most likely continue the "Duster" approach and treat this paint job like I was applying S-I-L-V-E-R.

Some Kind Soul just brought me a 18 oz. New York Strip. I just might survive this night.

MORE TO REPORT ABOUT 12:30 MOUNTAIN. ( oops. "S-I-L-V-E-R Cap attack)

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #223 of 1603 Old 04-09-2011, 12:52 AM

i finally got the wagner 355 to work. I had turn the adjuster knob in the back of the all the down. then i place the piston in the hole followed by the locking cap. Turned it on and nothing. So i cleaned it with the solution pack that came with the gun. tried it again , and it works like a charm. That sprayer is pretty damn loud. Anyways , i'm going to try the silver fire V2 HG 2.0 with my RS40. My room is coming along good and i can make it pitch dark in the daytime due to the blackout curtains on the patio door , the ceiling , and the walls. ( thats right , i put blackout curtains on the ceiling ). Had the projector since Feb. and just now reaching 100hrs on it. I'm still waiting on you guys DIY polarization screen so i can have all jvc glasses with my projector. it sucks , but bad to have to keep turning on my xpands 103.
post #224 of 1603 Old 04-09-2011, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Showtimes,

The Mix I'm using contains 50% Liquitex Heavy Bodied Iridescent Bright Silver to the regular Liquitex Silver. Something of note: The IBS tube (2 oz.) states it's Mica is coated with Iron Oxide and Stainless Steel. This then shows that specific paint to be of a decidedly higher "True Metallic" content, something very desirable for retaining Polarization.

Trouble is...it's expensive. $10.00 per 2 oz. Tube. The 4 tubes I substituted cost $40.00. To exchange the entire 16 oz. would be $80.00.

It was done on a whim...like much I venture into, but my reasoning is that any increase in the actual metallic content within a SF mix means at least that much more potential for improved performance.

Someday soon, perhaps someone who want to go further will ante up that extra $40.00 coat and therin raise the metallic content of the SF mix by a full 40%. Now then, if we could only find a Pearlescent with real metallic additive, we'd be much closer to success.

Otherwise, we must wait and continue searching. Designing a screen to be both bright enough for Active 3D and still be under control for 2D content isn't really an issue with SF v2. However when Passive Polarization comes into the picture, things get much more expensive.

But it's also true that even a Paint mix that cost $200.00 that provides true Passive performance will create a screen for at least $2K less than any other Commercial Screen. So....the motive to get there still remains.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #225 of 1603 Old 04-09-2011, 05:31 AM

Thanks for the info MM Man . Quick question , will the full 16 oz or even 24 oz for high gain tubes of LB IBS still give the same quality painted screen that Silver Fire V2 is known for ? Also since the formula for SF V2 HG calls for 1.3 oz of LB gold , do they make a LB IB gold to ad to the mix, since you don't need that much anyway ? Would love to try it out .
post #226 of 1603 Old 04-09-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

well guys... no more guessing. i have viable solutions and screen samples on hand capable of both 2d + passive 3D.

and yes... they are modified silver fire solutions without a huge price increase.

i've found a way to mix oil based silver metallics with rest of silver fire's water based acrylics and water based poly
which can be sprayed with our recommended wagners... and still have a soap and water cleanup.

showtimes and mm... PM me i'll give you things to test out...
i need some beta testers.
post #227 of 1603 Old 04-09-2011, 07:53 AM

PM sent
post #228 of 1603 Old 04-09-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

So OK. I just confirmed the JVC X3 is in-route between Springfield, MO and Denver, CO scheduled for a Tuesday AM delivery. That's 24 hours "after" I fly home. All yeomen efforts to have the PJ intercepted and changed to Express failed. Seems once a p.ge is sent FedEx Ground, it cannot be converted to expedited Freight under any circumstances.

Crud.

I'll have to leave the Video wires a'danglin', everything connected (DVD/Receiver),and give the "not so happy right now" Owner some Screen Shot takin' lessons and just hope that when he gets it up and a'hangin' he's so blissfully happy he will even bother.

Hey! He should! I took him out to BB and got him hooked up with a most excellent Canon Digital w/14 x Optical Zoom. Yeah....he'll do it.

You'all suppose?

Anywho...I'll post a series of build shots tomorrow.

Red Eye Edit @ 1:45 AM

OK..change of plans. I have decided to stay until Wednesday so I can see the X3 go up and be working. I kinda gotta have to because this project is for one of my Sons, and he's a tougher Cuss... er I mean Customer to deal with than almost anyone I've ran into...

Knows less than nothing about PJs so I just can't expect him to hang up, zero in, and calibrate the X3 to what is a SF v2 4.0 screen with added additional gain. At least he's springing for the Ticket change charges.

So here I'll sit, repairing drywall and waiting for Tuesday AM and the X3.

...and to think...I could have been going back to Byhalia, MS on Monday. Hmmmmm, I guess I'm not so bad off after all.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #229 of 1603 Old 04-10-2011, 07:44 AM

I'm thinking about buying a brand new paint sprayer gun cause the one I have is extremely loud. Going for the wagner double duty.

Wake up pb maxxx , pm sent

MM Man since you already started spraying will you still try the beta formula ?
post #230 of 1603 Old 04-10-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtimes View Post

I'm thinking about buying a brand new paint sprayer gun cause the one I have is extremely loud. Going for the wagner double duty.

Consider this one:
http://www.gleempaint.com/wagner-con...pray-plus.html

Just a few dollars more and it's a much more proffesional and multi-job HVLP.
I have one.....it's da Bomb.

Quote:

Wake up pb maxxx , pm sent

It's Sunday. That's his day to spend time with his two Goddesses.
HE'S WINNING!

[/quote]MM Man since you already started spraying will you still try the beta formula ?[/quote]
Well certainly. There's nothing that goes up on these Threads that hasn't been discussed between PB & I. Dude can catch me by surprise though. We conjure up an Idea and after a spell...., he usually can make it happen.
As Partners go, often I'm the Sorcerer's Apprentice

This 122"er is a deep Gray 4.0, and is ready as is.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #231 of 1603 Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 AM

Okay, MMan, I just ordered it. Also, I could not pass up the excellent deal on an extra "front end" I'll use that extra one for stain: I'll be spraying my fence and deck this year rather than the usual rolling and brushing.
post #232 of 1603 Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

Okay, MMan, I just ordered it. Also, I could not pass up the excellent deal on an extra "front end" I'll use that extra one for stain: I'll be spraying my fence and deck this year rather than the usual rolling and brushing.

You won't be disappointed. Too bad the Extra Wagner Control Spray Front End Kits they sell these days are duplicates of the one that comes with the Double Duty / Plus units. I have several of the older "Control Spray" Front Ends with the smaller Needle/Nozzle size and those suckers...when combined with the extra pressure of either of the more powerful Wagners, create a very fine spray pattern with at least a 12" to 14" tall Footprint.

The larger Needle / Nozzles the Wagner CS's come with nowadays is designed to make the units more compatible with thicker Latex Paints. But one still has to thin such paints to get a good, steady stream of paint dense enough to make the job go quickly.

Happy Squirtin' ! And remember to always consume conspicuous amounts of your favorite Beer. (..but let the Wagner do any squirtin' in the direction of the Screen )

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #233 of 1603 Old 04-12-2011, 04:34 PM

I currently have a 98" TWB silverfire V2 2.5 that I made for my bedroom and have been using in my living room. I currently have a piece of BOC cut to the 130" size and am surprised at how well it looks with a few tacks holding it up and all the creases from being folded.
I am going to do a 130" 2:35 on Sintra in a bat cave with an 8350. I have V2 2.5 leftover, but didn't know if I would benefit enough from a different mix to make a new batch. I'm sure I can use plenty of gain with 42.5 sq. to light.

Thanks for your time,
Shane
post #234 of 1603 Old 04-12-2011, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post

I currently have a 98" TWB silverfire V2 2.5 that I made for my bedroom and have been using in my living room. I currently have a piece of BOC cut to the 130" size and am surprised at how well it looks with a few tacks holding it up and all the creases from being folded.
I am going to do a 130" 2:35 on Sintra in a bat cave with an 8350. I have V2 2.5 leftover, but didn't know if I would benefit enough from a different mix to make a new batch. I'm sure I can use plenty of gain with 42.5 sq. to light.

Thanks for your time,
Shane

With a Bat Cave, that 130"er will do fine with the 2.5

If you wanted to though, mixing up another 1/2 batch of SF v2 Reflective Base and adding that to the remaining 2.5 will give you loads of gain yet still retain a decent degree of contrast boosting.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #235 of 1603 Old 04-13-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan

With a Bat Cave, that 130"er will do fine with the 2.5

If you wanted to though, mixing up another 1/2 batch of SF v2 Reflective Base and adding that to the remaining 2.5 will give you loads of gain yet still retain a decent degree of contrast boosting.
Would I benefit from using the heavy bodied silver ? Can I leave out the gold in the reflective base ? I used 3 oz. For the first batch.

Thanks.
post #236 of 1603 Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
Would I benefit from using the heavy bodied silver ?
If the price doesn't make you stumble, it's a Silver more akin to the original Delta, but of a much better quality and color. It will provide you more of what the Silver is in the mix

Quote:
Can I leave out the gold in the reflective base ? I used 3 oz. For the first batch.
Most likely...but why should you? You will have to go get the silver metallic, so pu a 2 oz. bottle of the Gold and at least add that much.

But if you are only making a 1/2 batch of RB, then omitting the Gold should not really be an issue.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #237 of 1603 Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Most likely...but why should you? You will have to go get the silver metallic, so pu a 2 oz. bottle of the Gold and at least add that much.

But if you are only making a 1/2 batch of RB, then omitting the Gold should not really be an issue.

The only reason I asked about the gold is because I thought the 3oz is used in the v2 5.0 now. Shortly after my mix I thought the gold changed to 1oz for 1.0 and .5oz for each level after, so I should have used 1.75. No big deal just checking.
post #238 of 1603 Old 04-13-2011, 12:19 PM

MMan, does your Sintra discount source have an Austin, TX location?

Never mind: I just found this post by CZ Eddie here in Austin:
"Thanks guys, I didnt give up.

Allied plastics in Austin, TX
877-613-3555

3mm 5x10 = $55
6mm 5x10 = $105"
post #239 of 1603 Old 04-13-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Diesel1;

you probably still have 1oz of the liquitex gold from your 1st SF V2 screen... ...and if so, just use that within your 1/2 batch.
post #240 of 1603 Old 04-14-2011, 04:55 AM

Is it ok to use 24oz LB Heavy Body iridescent bright silver for the Silver Fire V2 or should I use 50% LB HB IBF , and 50% LB silver metallic ? Something like this 12oz Liquitex Basic silver metallic , and 12 oz Liquitex Basic Heavy Body Iridescent Bright Silver to make the full 24 oz ?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page