The Official Silver Fire V.2 Thread. - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #2461 of 2480 Old 08-22-2016, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayians View Post
Many thank you's MississippiMan! Would you recommend the same 1.0mm spray guns for priming?
You can use it, by starting with the thinner Kinsser 123, and further thinning it with water until it strains freely at a slow pour through a Bag Strainer.

It will require at least 3-4 coats, (4 coats is best) but they are Dusters, and will dry very quickly. Sand lightly after the next to last coat for a ultra smooth primed surface.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2480 Old 08-24-2016, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
MississippiMan, do you recommend sanding the painted screen at any point, maybe before the last 1 or 2 coats?
post #2463 of 2480 Old 08-24-2016, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayians View Post
MississippiMan, do you recommend sanding the painted screen at any point, maybe before the last 1 or 2 coats?
Sometimes during the Dusting process, a slight amount of coarse texture can happen (feels slightly "sand-papery" like) This usually happens because the Gun is being held too far from the surface (12" to 14" is the maximum distance)

On / about the 5-6th coats, the slight texture can be eliminated by sanding very lightly over the entire surface. The object is not "removal" but "smoothing".

Wipe or Dust the screen surface clean with a soft cloth, and apply 2 Dusters.

post #2464 of 2480 Old 08-27-2016, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Starting the priming today, will post pics when it's all done!

Last edited by rayians; 08-27-2016 at 06:51 AM.
post #2465 of 2480 Old 08-28-2016, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I recently bought a 3200 lumen projector called Optoma DH1012. A projector that has 1000 lumes more then my previous projector. I decided to make up a test sample of Silver Fire 5.0 to see how it looked. I made the sample to specs but added an extra 3oz Behr UPW. Now, I only made a quater batch but i took extra care at scaling down the measurements to equal the correct amounts.

6 oz rustoleum white pearl
6 oz rustoleum silver
4 oz rustoleum ult poly matte
3.25 oz Behr UPW
1tbs + 3/4 tsp liquitex gold
plus colorant and water needed to spray

I sprayed only 3 coats on white covered surface but it has a grainy look to it. I imagine that the higher lumens contribute to seeing more graininess but suprised at seeing it in only 3 coats . What could be giving it such a grainy look from the mica?? Can to much water in the mix be the prob??? The higher lumens?? What?? What would a personalized Silver Fire 5.0 reciepe for my projector be that would lessen the grainy look?? Thanks.
post #2466 of 2480 Old 08-28-2016, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Too few coats. 3 Coats is 4 coats too few. You cannot get a smooth look with a freckled surface.

Try 8 oz Pearl and 4 oz Silver w/2 oz UPW

You should not need the Gold when using RustOleum Metallic paint, but doing so can add a bit warmness to Skin Tones, as well as help the darker 5.0 Gray hue be more neutral. Add it sparingly though. There is Gold already in the Colorant.

post #2467 of 2480 Old 08-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Too few coats. 3 Coats is 4 coats too few. You cannot get a smooth look with a freckled surface.

You should not need the Gold when using RustOleum Metallic paint, but doing so can add a bit warmness to Skin Tones, as well as help the darker 5.0 Gray hue be more neutral. Add it sparingly though. There is Gold already in the Colorant.
Now when you say 2 Oz of UPW you mean it in the quater batch correct?? 2 oz of UPW in 1/4 batch and 8 oz if doing full batch.
post #2468 of 2480 Old 08-28-2016, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd View Post
Now when you say 2 Oz of UPW you mean it in the quater batch correct?? 2 oz of UPW in 1/4 batch and 8 oz if doing full batch.
Of course....I tailored my response to fit your example.

post #2469 of 2480 Old 08-28-2016, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How much liquitex gold??
post #2470 of 2480 Old 08-29-2016, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

2 Teaspoons per your 1/4 ration mix
2 Tablespoons per 4x mix

post #2471 of 2480 Old 08-29-2016, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
2 Teaspoons per your 1/4 ration mix
2 Tablespoons per 4x mix
Just in case this was a brainfart instead of on-purpose, I'm pretty sure the difference between a teaspoon and a Tablespoon is 1:3 and not 1:4....a teaspoon being roughly 5ml and a Tablespoon being roughly 15ml.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
"A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #2472 of 2480 Old 08-29-2016, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Just in case this was a brainfart instead of on-purpose, I'm pretty sure the difference between a teaspoon and a Tablespoon is 1:3 and not 1:4....a teaspoon being roughly 5ml and a Tablespoon being roughly 15ml.
Wholly intentional, as I would not want the additional 2 Teaspoons added (6 vs 8)

I was centered on reducing the Gold.
Ftoast likes this.

post #2473 of 2480 Old 08-30-2016, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Viscosity Component

When mixing SF, should I only apply enough Viscosity Component to the base to bring it to the appropriate thinness for my sprayer? Or do I put the entire 40-52 oz in the base and further thin with water from there?

Last edited by youngm; 08-30-2016 at 10:10 PM.
post #2474 of 2480 Old 08-31-2016, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngm View Post
When mixing SF, should I only apply enough Viscosity Component to the base to bring it to the appropriate thinness for my sprayer? Or do I put the entire 40-52 oz in the base and further thin with water from there?
If your using a HVLP Gun with a Nozzle / Needle between 1.0-1.5mm, you should always use the specified amount of all viscosity components as a base-point. With a 1.5 mm set-up, the ensuing viscosity might be sufficient...while with a 1.0 mm needle more thinning is required.

As stated previously, when straining the entire mix, a flow rate through the Nylon Net "Bag" Strainer that equals the "pour in" rate (after a small pool is created in the bag) is a benchmark that determines an adequate "lack of" viscosity. Beyond that, it's the size/height of the Pattern.
(More Viscosity means thicker...Less Viscosity means thinner)

post #2475 of 2480 Old 08-31-2016, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
If your using a HVLP Gun with a Nozzle / Needle between 1.0-1.5mm, you should always use the specified amount of all viscosity components as a base-point. With a 1.5 mm set-up, the ensuing viscosity might be sufficient...while with a 1.0 mm needle more thinning is required.
Thanks for the clarification MM, I have a 1.0mm HVLP, so to restate, I'll plan on adding the full 52oz of viscosity and continue to thin with distilled water from there to reach the appropriate flow rate.
post #2476 of 2480 Old 09-01-2016, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngm View Post
Thanks for the clarification MM, I have a 1.0mm HVLP, so to restate, I'll plan on adding the full 52oz of viscosity and continue to thin with distilled water from there to reach the appropriate flow rate.
Usually that would mean adding 6-8 oz Distilled or Filtered Water. 8 oz should be the most you try.

The first test for "thinness" is to see the mixed paint literally pour off the Mixing tool.

Flow rate = the rapidity of drainage through the Nylon Bag Strainer. It (the paint) should pool a bit at first, then the Paint Flow through the Filter should keep pace with a stead pour rate.

Repetition = don't furgitabowdit.

post #2477 of 2480 Old 09-23-2016, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Painting retractable screen ?

I am looking to improve my screen not a big on DIY but want a better picture and save money.

1.)I have a retractable screen so If I paint this with silver fox will the paint crack while going up and down?

2.)How many coats are required?

3.) Can I buy this premade from somebody?

4.) Rent a sprayer from lowes/homedepot

5.)Are 4K projector worth it? I know this off subject

Last edited by sat-tv; 09-23-2016 at 09:23 AM.
post #2478 of 2480 Old 09-23-2016, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat-tv View Post
I am looking to improve my screen not a big on DIY but want a better picture and save money.

1.)I have a retractable screen so If I paint this with silver fox will the paint crack while going up and down?

No. See this Thread:
Painting Onto A 106" Tab Tensioned Screen with Silver Fire v2.5 4.0

2.)How many coats are required?

7 to 9 very light duster coats (...watch Videos in the link above...)

3.) Can I buy this premade from somebody?

Yes. PM for details.

4.) Rent a sprayer from lowes/homedepot

No. Or probably not. They only rent out Commercial Sprayers that have far too much output and too large Needles
I can advise you on the best and least expensive sprayer available ($60.00 or so)

5.)Are 4K projector worth it? I know this off subject
I'd say so, if you go with the Epson 5040 for $2999.00. While I am a fan of JVC E-Shift PJs, they start at just over $4K
Not willing to say there is $1000.00 worth of difference....unless you plan to sit extremely close and have super Lasik vison. Then the JVC's total lack of a pixel grid wins out.

post #2479 of 2480 Old 09-26-2016, 03:29 PM
cvh

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Paint retractable screen

As Sat-TV posted I too want to paint a Retractable Screen.

I have a 125" EliteScreen purchased in 2012 with 1.0 gain Motorized case.
I have a Optoma HD33 3D White Edition Projector with 1900 lumens Calibrated.
Projector is 14ft from screen. I do watch 3D movies so how will this affect the Paint Mix?

I do not have a controlled environment so I don't watch movies on it very often. Want to change that.
There is ambient light present so would like to increase picture quality. Anything is better than what I have.
I will be using a paint sprayer borrowed from a friend and he will help me since more experienced.

Below are old photos I took Oct 2012. As you can see I Have Skylights, Loft Window to the left and 3 windows to the right side of screen covered by Red Curtains.
I dont watch Movies during the day. I have to watch until it is dark outside to watch anything and during the summer is like 9pm. Would like to watch it when sun setting at least
so really want to combat Natural ambient light.

Question: 1. Can anybody suggest a good mix for my situation and can I purchase it instead of DIY. Just don't have the time Lately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0666.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1686273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0665.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	1686281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0670.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1686289  

He Came to Give You Life and Life More Abundantly.
post #2480 of 2480 Old 09-26-2016, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvh View Post
As Sat-TV posted I too want to paint a Retractable Screen.

I have a 125" EliteScreen purchased in 2012 with 1.0 gain Motorized case.
I have a Optoma HD33 3D White Edition Projector with 1900 lumens Calibrated.

Is this an unknown model? Being familiar with the HD33 for some time, I've always known it's limitations, and its 1800 lumen output, which was never close to that calibrated. More like 1050 in Bright Mode and 870 in Cinema. (both with the Lamp on High)

Projector is 14ft from screen. I do watch 3D movies so how will this affect the Paint Mix?

It does and will to some extent.

Under ideal circumstances, at 1.0 gain you can get at most 17 fl. For dark room viewing on a Matte White...perfectly fine. For moderate to high ambient light on a Gray, metallic based screen with 1.2 gain that would up things to 22 fl.
Obviously the last example will look stunningly bright in the dark, but in 3D mode you can still expect lumen output to drop by 1/2, so fl levels with drop to 12 fl. Again....OK for dark room viewing. But only for that.

I do not have a controlled environment so I don't watch movies on it very often. Want to change that.
There is ambient light present so would like to increase picture quality. Anything is better than what I have.
I will be using a paint sprayer borrowed from a friend and he will help me since more experienced.

Well for viewing normal Movies, your solution is at hand.

Below are old photos I took Oct 2012. As you can see I Have Skylights, Loft Window to the left and 3 windows to the right side of screen covered by Red Curtains.
I dont watch Movies during the day. I have to watch until it is dark outside to watch anything and during the summer is like 9pm. Would like to watch it when sun setting at least
so really want to combat Natural ambient light.

The type mix you need will help a lot, but even then some degree of care & effort to restrict sunlight from directly reaching the screen surface will need to observed. Ambient light is not Directed light.

Question: 1. Can anybody suggest a good mix for my situation and can I purchase it instead of DIY. Just don't have the time Lately.
I think that your most obvious issue is the Screen size as relates to the Projector's output and throw distance, and those seem to be fixed issues. For a purchase-able solution, go here: And here:
....and here.

Please post any responses on those Threads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page