The Official Silver Fire V.2 Thread. - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #2461 of 2464 Old 08-22-2016, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayians View Post
Many thank you's MississippiMan! Would you recommend the same 1.0mm spray guns for priming?
You can use it, by starting with the thinner Kinsser 123, and further thinning it with water until it strains freely at a slow pour through a Bag Strainer.

It will require at least 3-4 coats, (4 coats is best) but they are Dusters, and will dry very quickly. Sand lightly after the next to last coat for a ultra smooth primed surface.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2464 Old 08-24-2016, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
MississippiMan, do you recommend sanding the painted screen at any point, maybe before the last 1 or 2 coats?
post #2463 of 2464 Old 08-24-2016, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayians View Post
MississippiMan, do you recommend sanding the painted screen at any point, maybe before the last 1 or 2 coats?
Sometimes during the Dusting process, a slight amount of coarse texture can happen (feels slightly "sand-papery" like) This usually happens because the Gun is being held too far from the surface (12" to 14" is the maximum distance)

On / about the 5-6th coats, the slight texture can be eliminated by sanding very lightly over the entire surface. The object is not "removal" but "smoothing".

Wipe or Dust the screen surface clean with a soft cloth, and apply 2 Dusters.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
post #2464 of 2464 Old Today, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Sometimes during the Dusting process, a slight amount of coarse texture can happen (feels slightly "sand-papery" like) This usually happens because the Gun is being held too far from the surface (12" to 14" is the maximum distance)

On / about the 5-6th coats, the slight texture can be eliminated by sanding very lightly over the entire surface. The object is not "removal" but "smoothing".

Wipe or Dust the screen surface clean with a soft cloth, and apply 2 Dusters.
HELP! I am in the process of priming my screen and I'm getting different textured spots throughout the entire screen. It seems anything I'd gone and re-joint compounded to fill in pin holes and the such has a much more "shiny" appearance than the rest of the screen. The pic below is 3 duster coats of Zinsser 123. The darker appearing spots have a slightly more glossy and darker appearance than the rest of the screen. I seriously fear this will only get worse if I attempt to spray the screen paint over it. Do I try a few more coats of primer? Sand? Move on with the screen paint? Any advice is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0827160927.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1625649  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section