The Official Silver Fire V.2 Thread. - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #2521 of 2526 Old 03-04-2017, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janhaus View Post
QQ: What is the best way to find a local painter who can correctly apply screenpaint via the HLP method? I self-confess to not being at all a DIY'er when it comes to paint, the mixing of the paints is at my limits. I'm looking to upgrade (paint) my screen (living room wall) and it seems some variant of Silverfire may provide the best aesthetics/performance tradeoff.
Well Janhaus,

I've always specialized in help rank NOOBs be confident enough to pick up a inexpensive Electric HVLP gun and accomplish what they set out to do....and do it better than they ever dreamed they could.

Basically, even a local Painter usually has to readjust his methods to conform to what is considered both the most correct and easiest way to paint a DIY Screen. So why not give it a go yourself?

But if you still too wary to consider, shoot me a PM stating where you live and I'll try to scare up someone, or another viable solution.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2526 Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mississippiman, Lowe's no longer carries the rustoleum ultimate polyurethane anymore just Minwax poly....at least not here in NC. Homedepot doesn't carry it as well. What do I use???
post #2523 of 2526 Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd View Post
Mississippiman, Lowe's no longer carries the rustoleum ultimate polyurethane anymore just Minwax poly....at least not here in NC. Homedepot doesn't carry it as well. What do I use???
You can find it Online. It is preferred. About 8.00 more than in the store.

post #2524 of 2526 Old Today, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
You can find it Online. It is preferred. About 8.00 more than in the store.
Uhhgggg...just when most of the silver fire components became available to purchase at locale places...minus the Rust White Pearl....we add another item bound by online purchase only, lol, oh well. That's how it rolls sometimes.
post #2525 of 2526 Old Today, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhic_fd View Post
Uhhgggg...just when most of the silver fire components became available to purchase at locale places...minus the Rust White Pearl....we add another item bound by online purchase only, lol, oh well. That's how it rolls sometimes.
If you can find the MinWax in a Matte, it will suffice. The older formula called for MinWax Satin...primarily because that was what was usually the only available option found at HD & Lowes. The use of all the other "Flat / Matte" components mitigated the Satin's sheen effect.

Subsequent testing and use of the RustOleum product (...as well as it's OEM version "Varathane") showed it to be of higher quality and more resistant to yellowing over a longer period of time. Personally I never observed the MinWax yellow out on any of my screens, and my examples date back 11+ years. But a very few others said they did, so..............

post #2526 of 2526 Old Today, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
If you can find the MinWax in a Matte, it will suffice. The older formula called for MinWax Satin...primarily because that was what was usually the only available option found at HD & Lowes. The use of all the other "Flat / Matte" components mitigated the Satin's sheen effect.

Subsequent testing and use of the RustOleum product (...as well as it's OEM version "Varathane") showed it to be of higher quality and more resistant to yellowing over a longer period of time. Personally I never observed the MinWax yellow out on any of my screens, and my examples date back 11+ years. But a very few others said they did, so..............
Thanks for the info on the MinWax. Yes, I did see a matte version of the MinWax yesterday so it's good to know I can use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page