Help with screen paint selection - HD65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please assist me in selecting a screen paint. Let me tell you a little about the situation. I have an optoma HD65 projector (specs below). The walls and celing do not have a dark paint, it is like a medium tan. There is one window in the room and it has mini-blinds with curtains over those. I would like to use eco mode if possible to preserve the bulb life. Of course if this has a significant effect in quality then I will forgo that.

Projector will be about 12' back from the screen and I can mount from celing or on a rear wall shelf.

I have a compressor with a water/oil trap filter, nice rubber hose, and a LVLP paint sprayer. Will probably use a TWB from home depot to paint on it.

Here is the spec sheet for the HD65:
http://marketing.optomausa.com/PDFs/..._Datasheet.pdf

Native 720p resolution
1600 Lumens (standard mode??)
4000:1 CR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I suggest the newer version of Silver Fire v.2 3.0
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1311989

That mix will improve your "off the screen" Contrast, reject the deleterious effect of room reflections, and deepen your color palette, all while being more thsan reflective enough to allow you to use Econo mode.

Cut the TWH to 48 x 85 for 98" diagonal.

Check out the spray instructions / Videos available on recent threads before you attempt to start spraying

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 11:20 AM

Why not the maxmudd-retro for the HD65 in this scenario?

Also, not to hijack this thread, but would either mix be better on a 98" diagonal TWH or a 110" BOC screen painted? At the the same projector throw distance and seating distance?

Thanks.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiahm View Post

While the RS-MaxxMudd Retro is a great formula, when used for a smaller screen being shot at by a Beamer like the HD65, the extra amount of Silver metallic would almost assuredly produce excessive "spark-lies" and possibly more noticeable graininess.

More importantly, the darker shade of Gray inherent in SF v.2 3.0 will serve to enhance the HD65's contrast while maintaining a higher gain. Even the Retro with the additional SM isn't nearly as dark a Gray as SF 3.0

Quote:

Also, not to hijack this thread, but would either mix be better on a 98" diagonal TWH or a 110" BOC screen painted? At the the same projector throw distance and seating distance?

Thanks.

In truth, any variation of Silver Fire that matches the Shade of a RS-MaxxMudd will produce better overall results. The creation & introduction of Silver Fire stemmed from the premise and properties of RS-MaxxMudd, and resulted in improvements on every count. Someone might choose RS-MaxxMudd solely on the weight of not wanting to collect and mix the SF Colorant, still knowing that essentially, RS-MaxxMudd IS virtually the same mix as Silver Fire...but without the Colorant. But much of that reasoning has gone out the proverbial window now that SF v.2 has been released for General Consumption. The far more readily available Liquitex Basic paints make acquiring the needed components too easy for even the most dullard and lazy of us DIY'ers to feel put upon.

To quote James T. Kirk;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM

So what is the best performing mix for the HD65 for the TWH at 98" diag and for the 106" on the BOC on a frame?

Which screen material makes the best screen of the two options at those sizes? My pj is on an I beam in the middle of the room, and I can't move it. Those are the two screens I have to choose from since I can't get any sort of backer at 5x10 into my basement that I know of because of a sharp corner. (we've talked about sintra before, but I don't want to spend $100 on a backer. I'm in 45177.)

Thanks for the help. I really wanted this done before teh super bowl, but it ain't happening now.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
for the TWH... Silver Fire V2 3.5 for the THW.

for the BOC...unless you can skim, sand, and remove the texture... MaxxMudd LL.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 05:09 PM

So does the texture go away on boc using the maxmudd?
post #8 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So does the texture go away on boc using the maxmudd?

You can roll RS-MaxxMudd LL, so the thicker paint6 application helps to cover the Cloth weave texture.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #9 of 13 Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks.

No worries, I don't mind the hijack since it is also for an HD65. The information might be helpfull to me too.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I suggest the newer version of Silver Fire v.2 3.0
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1311989

That mix will improve your "off the screen" Contrast, reject the deleterious effect of room reflections, and deepen your color palette, all while being more thsan reflective enough to allow you to use Econo mode.

Cut the TWH to 48 x 85 for 98" diagonal.

Check out the spray instructions / Videos available on recent threads before you attempt to start spraying

Thank you for the comments. I attempted to watch your video but it asked for a password to access it. Could you PM that to me, or adjust the link?

My father in law will help me paint. He used to do professional spray painting. Will the LVLP spray gun work? (not HVLP)
post #11 of 13 Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
MM should be back soon. He's unable to respond because he's on a plane coming back from Hawaii... ...or he might by knocked out by jet lag.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

What is the optimum projector location for this screen? I have a lot of freedom in where I place the projector. Right now I'm leaning toward a celing mount just to have it out of the way, but I can put it on a rear wall shelf just as easy.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-09-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post

What is the optimum projector location for this screen? I have a lot of freedom in where I place the projector. Right now I'm leaning toward a celing mount just to have it out of the way, but I can put it on a rear wall shelf just as easy.

99.999% of the time, if possible, a Ceiling mount is best. Positioning any PJ's lens as close to center of the Screen as possible will always be best. Often, a Ceiling Mount that inverts the PJ, but drops it to say....6.5' above the Floor (shelf height) in the rear of the room can deliver the best of both worlds.

However the Optoma does introduce an additional variable.
Drop Distance or Shelf mounting MUST accommodate the Lens Offset the HD65 possesses. (...really, the "O" can work well on a low Table, but a Shoulder to Head high Shelf is out of the question.)

9.1" lens offset + 8.9" Drop Tube/Mount distance = 18" from Ceiling to Top of Screen edge when using a 110"" Diagonal BOC Screen (54" x 96")

10.3" Lens offset + 9.7" Drop Tube/Mount distance = 24" from Ceiling to Top of Screen edge when using a 98" Diagonal TWH Screen (54" x 96")

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page