Need Screen Advice - 8350 in Apartment with Ambient Light issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been waiting to dive into the projector world for years now and am going to be moving to a new apartment in a few months and figure now is a better time than any so i want to start planning my setup accordingly. I've done a lot of research and it seems the 8350 is going to be my best bet for an excellent entry level PJ with a lot of lumens to battle the ambient light issues i'm going to have. I'm looking to do a 92" screen and thankfully i have the flexibility of placing the PJ as far up or back as i need to. Projector central recommends right about 12' lens to screen so i'm planning to do that unless anyone recommends otherwise. The PJ is going into the living room and will be ceiling mounted (9 ft. ceilings). My biggest issue is there are very big windows and even some sliding glass doors that let a lot of light in during the day. They are all tinted glass and come with pull down sun shades but i'm not sure how much they're going to help when the sun is hitting it directly. Thankfully 85% of our viewing time will be at night, but i do like to watch football and golf during the day on the weekends so i need a screen that's going to be the best of both worlds, hence why i'm here. I've read up a lot on the SilverFire, MaxxMudd and Black Widow, but i'm curious what the experts advise for my situation. See photos below for additional reference. I'm planning to project on the far wall where the 2 photos are and will have a sectional with chaise for a sitting distance of 11'. My gut tells me my best bet is going to be building a frame and using the thrifty white board and i'm not totally opposed to spraying, but if comparable results can be had by rolling a mixture, i would probably prefer to do that for simplicity, but as always, i'm open to suggestions and entrust the knowledge here for the best results. Thanks in advance for your help!
-Nate

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
The biggest issue to face as far as incandesent light is to arrand it directionally so the no "directed light" washes across the screen area. Spots in Can Lights...or combined with Eye Ball or Wall Wash shield, are often all that's needed to alter.

Sunlight? Might be something else altogether if the Lady says the Curtains MUST stay opened.

Silver Fire v.2 5.0 would be the route to go in worst case situations as the latter described...but the 8350 will lack horsepower.

The amount of lighting shown, if it remains as is, is akin to a well lit commercial establishment...or Office. To achieve really good imagery in those conditions, you have to use a 1080 p unit with at least 3K lumens.

They exist, and don't cost a huge bundle, but they don't have near the contrast of the Epson because they have such bright output.

But that's OK because the considerably darker SF formula will greatly enhance the PJs contrast as perceived coming off the screen.

More later...I'm off to preview Rango at a Matinee show.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
i absolute love home designs that incorporate 'inside windows'

more later. i've got my girls for an extended wknd.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt responses guys... the slider on the right of the first picture walks out to a nice courtyard and that entire side of the apartment faces NW so any afternoon sun that comes in isn't pointing to the wall where the screen would be which is nice... but its obviously not the most desirable lighting situation. When watching TV, movies etc. we'll have almost all the lights out so i'm not worried about the lighting aspect... im just most worried about how its going to perform during the daytime when the shades are down but the sun is bright... with that said, is the 8350 still a solid performer in this price range? i want to do the entire project (PJ, screen, cables etc.) for under $1500
post #5 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a few day time shots for additional context

post #6 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

I got the "Bomb" solution.

.....or at least a Smokin' Gun.

9' 6" throw combined with 1.1 gain SF v.2 3.0 = 35 Ft. Lamberts

Spray or Roll applied to a 48" x 84" sheet of Thrifty White Hardboard

Screen attaches to wall via 10 Drywall screws applied through the extra area around the Screen's actual 45" x 80" viewing area The utility area is then faced w 2.5" velvet wrapped trim, or a thinner trim surrounded with White Wood Trim with Detail.

The latter would be in keeping with the nice Decor. Below is a White & Black Velvet example involving a similar installation to yours, same size...but over a fireplace.

Also one with "Wood & Velvet" but with "Piano Black" perimeter Wood Trim & Velvet Wrapped Corner Buttons with Gold Detail.

You room deserves a classy approach if the Screen is to be a Permanent Fixture, so consider these ideas.

As long as those Track lights are correctly positioned, and you utilize your PJs best possible settings and positioning, the Screen will deliver to you the splendid image your hoping for.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome info MM! Im definitely planning to do a black velvet border around the screen similar to that first pic although id probably mitre cut the wood. Does mounting the PJ that close affect PQ at all since it'll be at the extreme of it's zoom capability? Also, is there any reason to spray over roll the recommended SF mix for my situation? If very similar results can be had with rolling, that'd be just fine by me
post #8 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd go with a 6" black border that coordinates well with the black frames of your wall pictures.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog07v View Post

Awesome info MM! Im definitely planning to do a black velvet border around the screen similar to that first pic although id probably mitre cut the wood.

That White Framed screen is about 6 years old, and the Piano Black job about 8 yrs ago...and way back then I didn't own a Miter Saw. Yeah, I miter everything these days.

Quote:

Does mounting the PJ that close affect PQ at all since it'll be at the extreme of it's zoom capability?

Well, any adverse effect is usually minimal with a smaller screen, whereas if the screen was...say 120" diagonal or larger, the lack of Zoom adjustment and the tendency for Image Barreling could in fact render a less than optimal result.

In your case though, the answer is no...and the closer proximity of the PJ will help tremendously as to optimizing the PJs light output, as well as the Screens reflective potential.

As long as you don't fall below 8"-12" from the shortest possibly distance, you'll be fine.

Quote:

Also, is there any reason to spray over roll the recommended SF mix for my situation? If very similar results can be had with rolling, that'd be just fine by me

Not with Silver Fire...it's a spray only Mix because the very components that make it perform so well don't hanker to be rolled. The end results are most definitely worth it, and with that small a screen, the spray painting can take place elsewhere (...Garage...Open Attic Area...) and the finished screen easily carted in and hung in place.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #10 of 10 Old 03-04-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect. I will start acquiring materials and will update this thread as i progress. I'm sure i'll have more questions as i go along but thankfully theres an abundance of info already on this form to guide my efforts
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page