Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #691 of 715 Old 08-18-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 223
I pulled this right off the top of the first page......and have added current edits:

RS-MaxxMudd Retro v.2.1(darkest and highest gain of the rs-maxxmudd mixes, note the amount of SILVER in the mix)

20 oz Liquitex Basics Silver (now....Rustoleum Metallic Accents Sterling Silver)
10 oz Rustoleum Metallic Accents - White Pearl
10 oz Behr 1850 (1750) Ultra Pure White - Flat

12 oz Minwax PolyAcrylic Satin Finish (now...Rustoleum's Ultimate Polyurethane Matte Finish (water based)
16 oz distilled/tap water**

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 715 Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I pulled this right off the top of the first page......and have added current edits:

RS-MaxxMudd Retro v.2.1(darkest and highest gain of the rs-maxxmudd mixes, note the amount of SILVER in the mix)

20 oz Liquitex Basics Silver (now....Rustoleum Metallic Accents Sterling Silver)
10 oz Rustoleum Metallic Accents - White Pearl
10 oz Behr 1850 (1750) Ultra Pure White - Flat

12 oz Minwax PolyAcrylic Satin Finish (now...Rustoleum's Ultimate Polyurethane Matte Finish (water based)
16 oz distilled/tap water**
Awesome thanks MM! So I just throw all of that in a bucket and and shake the crap out of it and start spraying and I'm golden?

Last edited by bplufkin; 08-18-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: pour spellin
post #693 of 715 Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 PM

Thanks so much!

Ordered the paint. A couple quick questions after re-reading the entire thread...

1. Does this sprayer work if I use the detail finish Nozzle? http://www.menards.com/main/p-2282464-c-8142.htm I already own it.
2. Does Wilsonart DW need a primer coat before applying MM?
2.1 If so, what is the best primer to use?
2.2 If so, It looks like some are rolling primer but I would think spraying is best, thoughts?
2.3 If so, does the primer need to be sanded before applying?
3. No matter if the primer needs to be sanded it looks like I'll need to sand after the first 2 duster coats of MM so... what is the best sandpaper/product to use?

Thanks!

Also, earlier tonight I finished the first of 2 large DIY acoustic panels that will double as housing for my can lights and room treatment that I believe are a suitable alternative to backer boxes. I'll find a different thread to post the info on but I thought I'd share here since it's top of mind (my mind). I got the idea from a studio I'm recording at.
post #694 of 715 Old 08-19-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplufkin View Post
Thanks so much!

Ordered the paint. A couple quick questions after re-reading the entire thread...

1. Does this sprayer work if I use the detail finish Nozzle? http://www.menards.com/main/p-2282464-c-8142.htm I already own it.
It should, but at best the Tip is a 1.8 mm, so it is absolutely imperative you use the rapid Duster Coat method.

Quote:
2. Does Wilsonart DW need a primer coat before applying MM?
No...the 1st two rapid Dusters, when left to dry completely, provide the Priming / Tack needed for all following coats. However, scrubbing it (WA-DW) all over with a Dry Magic Eraser removes the sheen and preps the surface really well.

Quote:
3. No matter if the primer needs to be sanded it looks like I'll need to sand after the first 2 duster coats of MM so... what is the best sandpaper/product to use?

Thanks!
Go into Home Depot to the Drywall Tools section and look for the 3" x 8" x 1" Large Fine Grit Sanding Sponge.

Use it dry, and with a very light touch and broad sweeping strokes. You just smoothing....not "removing".

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #695 of 715 Old 08-21-2014, 06:25 AM

This was the only ingredient I didn't order because according to a previous post one can find it at Lowe's. I went to 2 different Lowe's in town. The first one was out of the Matte Finish (no discussion on whether or not it was oil or water based). I then went to one across town where they had a few qts but after talking with the paint lady the one they carry is OIL based and she didn't think they had a water based option. Obviously she is wrong... but I still need to get my hands on a water based Rustoleum Ulitmate Polyurethane Matte Finsih because oil based will not work... right? Anyone know where I can get it? Here is what Amazon has but I'm not too confident this is what I want: http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-260...dp/B00714ZOOA#

Any help is much appreciate. Thanks!!
post #696 of 715 Old 08-21-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

....but I still need to get my hands on a water based Rustoleum Ulitmate Polyurethane Matte Finsih because oil based will not work... right?
Water based only...that is why it sez what it sez above.

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-260...dp/B00714ZOOA#

The above will work, it's just almost 2x the Store cost.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #697 of 715 Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

This was the only ingredient I didn't order because according to a previous post one can find it at Lowe's. I went to 2 different Lowe's in town. The first one was out of the Matte Finish (no discussion on whether or not it was oil or water based). I then went to one across town where they had a few qts but after talking with the paint lady the one they carry is OIL based and she didn't think they had a water based option. Obviously she is wrong... but I still need to get my hands on a water based Rustoleum Ulitmate Polyurethane Matte Finsih because oil based will not work... right? Anyone know where I can get it? Here is what Amazon has but I'm not too confident this is what I want: http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-260...dp/B00714ZOOA#

Any help is much appreciate. Thanks!!
I got mine at a Lowe's in Gainesville, FL by using the store pickup option online.
post #698 of 715 Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 AM

Thanks Mississippi Man and Medisinyl! Not a big surprise but I actually asked the lady at Lowe's if they could just order the water based and she acted like it was a stupid question. That's whay I appreciate people who are willing to help like the good folks here on this forum. Thanks again!

BTW, it's ordered and will be here in about 10 days. So... In a couple weeks when the paint's dry I'll let you know how bad I "F'ed" it up
post #699 of 715 Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you look at the pic by mm... it says..."easy soap and water cleanup" right on the label..
post #700 of 715 Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM

So a quick update. I had an old wilsonart DW from a couple screens ago sitting in my garage. Luckily I didn't trust myself to get it exactly right on my new 120" Wisonart so I used that one to practice on. The other reason I used the "old" DW was so I could mask off half of the screen and do a side by side comparison as to what the MM looked like vs the Wilsonart. I followed the "standard" mudd mix exactly as the recipe suggested.

My results:

I stuck to the recipe for the first two very light dusters and got some big blotches of paint. At first I thought the Wagner was to blaim but after reading the whole thread all over again I realized that I just needed to thin the paint more. I added another ounce to what was in my gun (approx 10 ounces) to the third coat which I applied before sanding. By the time I sprayed my third coat it was difficult to tell how big or small the blotches were though so I didn't thin any more. I assumed that it was thin enough. I know never to assume but this was a few hours and several beers into the project After 4 more duster coats its kinda smooth but not baby but smooth. I'm pretty sure I eitiher A. didn't sand enough or B. I still don't have the right amount of water added.

1. Does it take a LOT of extra water (I thought I saw you could add up to double the 16oz on the recipe)?
2. Any chance my sprayer sucks or am I right in thinking I probably just messed up the sanding and or I didn't put enought water in the mix?

Thanks!

Last edited by bplufkin; 09-02-2014 at 08:57 PM.
post #701 of 715 Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM

I did a comparison with the Maxx-Mudd on half the screen and the plain Wilsonart DW on the right. I really liked the Maxx-Mudd better but my paint had too much orange peel. My plan was to practice getting enough water in the mix by spraying on some cardboard, get it right, then spray the entire practice screen (after sanding the left side smooth) with the correct mix of paint and water. Well, I added a ton of water about an ounce at a time. That seemed to help a bit but I still got some larger splatter marks. Attached is the last coat I tried. Is this acceptable or do I just need to get a different gun to spray?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-8.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	243178  

Last edited by bplufkin; 09-02-2014 at 08:59 PM.
post #702 of 715 Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Initial coats using the duster method always appear to look "Splattered", but the splatters once dried should lay flat. Subsequent coats fill in the space between splatters.

Painting Speed across the surface combined with Distance from the surface is what prevents texture from building up. Multiple light coats, each being allowed to dry before applying the next coat.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #703 of 715 Old 09-09-2014, 08:17 PM

Painting Speed across the surface combined with Distance from the surface is what prevents texture from building up. Multiple light coats, each being allowed to dry before applying the next coat.[/QUOTE]

MM... I build my frame and screen this weekend and put the first two duster coats on (Sunday night). I used your advice and left plenty of time between coats (Worked awesome!). Monday afternoon I did what I think is one hell of a good job lightly sanding. Then I put two more dusters on with plenty of dry time in between. I took a look at it this morning and I was VERY pleased. Tonight I came home ready to put the final two coats on and possibly one more tomorrow. I came across a problem though. on my first coat tonight I messed up and didn't put enough paint in the reservoir on my gun and at the end it pooped out a couple of bad spots. OH THE HORROR. After close inspection I believe there were a few other spots that just did not blend very well also, not sure why. At any rate I'm wondering if I should just go back to the sanding step and start from there or do a few more duster coats and hope it all blends in. there isn't really any texture or orang peel happening. Heck I wonder if I could just lightly sand the few spots I'm not liking and do a few more dusters. Any advice? Thanks!
post #704 of 715 Old 09-10-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Do another light sanding, then apply Dusters until everything is blended and one even coating.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #705 of 715 Old 09-10-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Do another light sanding, then apply Dusters until everything is blended and one even coating.
Got it, thanks!

While at Menards today I happened across this for $40.00 and I thought "why not". Based on my research here I know 1.5mm tip is suggested but this one has a 1.4. Could be a good find or could be a bad gun? I'm hoping for a finer spray than I"m getting. Is this something worth trying out or in your opinion? As always, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-5.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	256578  
post #706 of 715 Old 09-10-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

That is a Compressor Fed HVLP Gun. It requires a substantial Air Compresor, Rust & Water Filter, Rubber Hose, and Pressure Regulators at both Gun input and Compressor outlet.

It went the way of the Dodo back in 2006 with the discovery of Electric Airless Turbine HVLP Guns. Of course if one has a complete Rig and the skills to use it, it will do a fine job....usually. I have one. But all I ever use my 32 Gallon Compressor for anymore is to pump up Tires and run the few Pneumatic tool I have. The 4 HVLP Guns I have have remained in storage since that fateful day in 2006

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #707 of 715 Old 09-11-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
That is a Compressor Fed HVLP Gun. It requires a substantial Air Compresor, Rust & Water Filter, Rubber Hose, and Pressure Regulators at both Gun input and Compressor outlet.

It went the way of the Dodo back in 2006 with the discovery of Electric Airless Turbine HVLP Guns. Of course if one has a complete Rig and the skills to use it, it will do a fine job....usually. I have one. But all I ever use my 32 Gallon Compressor for anymore is to pump up Tires and run the few Pneumatic tool I have. The 4 HVLP Guns I have have remained in storage since that fateful day in 2006
That explains why the thread I read from back in 06 showed a gun that looked similar. I can't seem to find the new standard here on threads since the no-name is no longer available. What's everyone using these days? I have HD,Lowes,Menards, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, and paint stores in my area. I would feel better knowing I painted my screen using a proven gun. Thanks!
post #708 of 715 Old 09-11-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

There are a few to choose from, but the best overall is this.

http://www.amazon.com/Earlex-0HV2901...dp/B00K26SJ5U/
........combined with this Accessory 1.0 mm Tip from either of these two sources.

http://www.amazon.com/Earlex-Brass-T...dp/B004BG6DB4/
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Earlex-1-0-mm-04-in-Brass-Tip-and-HV3500-Needle-Kit-HVACV1/203391445?cm_mmc=sem|psocial|fbx|dynamic

And...the following being the least expensive, "acceptable" alternative, but one which more care must be taken to observe strict application guidelines.

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-0417005.../dp/B000DZBP60

With this also being a good combination:**

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-0518080...dp/B003PGQI48/

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Detail-...PCH0V475D5WWN4

** MississippiMan uses a Hybrid System that employs the Wagner Control Spray Plus with a Graco Gun w/1.0 mm tip. I had to create a Hose adapter, but I was after the more powerful air volume the "Max" puts out.

It works best for me because i often spray enormas sized screens, and by combining the 20' hose of the Wagner with the 13' hose that came with my Graco 2900, I can place the Turbine well away from my work area, which both prevents the Air Filter from getting plugged up quickly as well as cuts down the Turbine noise factor.

When ya spray as many screens as often as I do, every little bit of creature comfort and user-ability counts for a lot!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #709 of 715 Old 09-11-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Concerning HVLP Sprayers would this one be ok to work with?

http://www.handyhardware.ie/product/...int-Spray-Unit

or this one

post #710 of 715 Old 09-11-2014, 07:50 AM

With this also being a good combination:**

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-0518080...dp/B003PGQI48/

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Detail-...PCH0V475D5WWN4

Thanks so much MM for replying! I looked at the combination above and it looks really close to my Wagner Flexio system so I thought I'd call Wagner directly to see what the differnce was. The guy I talked to on the phone said my detail gun with my 890 system is the same as the "detail front end" wth the system you suggested. Honestly I'm inclinded to thing you know more than he does but I suppose it's possible that my system IS actually what I really need and I should just take some more time getting the controls dialed in to get the desired "mist" out of my gun. I swear I'm getting close but it's not perfect so I'm totally willing to dump more money into a gun if it get's the results I need (I would buy another gun if you think it's better than what I have).

Big time Thanks!!!
post #711 of 715 Old 09-12-2014, 09:49 AM

Update: Went to Menards yesterday and bought a new "detail gun" for my 890 $30. Lightly sanded the screen and gave the the new gun a try. Worked Fantastic. 3 duster coats later it's looking as good as I can get it which makes me a happy camper.

Based on my best info/guess the detail gun that came with the 890 is exactly the same as the one I bought. Why did it outperform the one that came with the 890 system? I think I may have either A. gotten a bad unit originally. B. through painting my practice screen and putting the first 5 coats on my actual screen I wore out the tip on the original. C. The new gun is slightly different and therfore better for this project.

I do reccomend the 890 system as a great all around painting system and I have gotten a lot of use out of it through priming and painting all of the rooms in my basement with the main gun. I believe I paid around $180 at Menards (here in the midwest) but I have seen it in HD as well.

Now I just need to mount the projector and put up the velvet wraped trim pieces. That will all happen after the flooring comes in and a few other minor details are finished. I'll send some pics in a few weeks.

Thanks!
post #712 of 715 Old 09-13-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Good to hear you got better results. I myself had variable performance between the original Spray heads on Wagners Control Sprays, most Spitting and Surging. My guess is that it had to do with the orifice valve in path with the Needle assembly not seating right. Also, not having a good seal around the Paint Cup and Head will mess ya up. I just always took 2-3 Spray heads with me to a job "just in case". At least when switching to the Graco Heads I always get consistent results.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #713 of 715 Old 09-15-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahomesireland View Post
Concerning HVLP Sprayers would this one be ok to work with?

or this one

Hi Maurice (Mississippi man)

Can you confirm one of these would be ok for me to use, thanks.

Or maybe another off that website as they are based in Ireland.

Last edited by mediahomesireland; 09-15-2014 at 07:50 AM.
post #714 of 715 Old 09-15-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

This is the one to go with of the two Earlex spray systems:

..........combined with either of the two replacement needles below. The 3500 comes with a 2.0 mm Needle
Earlex HVACV1 1.0mm Needle Brass Tip HV3500

Earlex HVACV15 1.5 mm Brass Tip and Needle Kit for HV3500

Or this Fall-Back Wagner Control Spray:

http://www.handyhardware.ie/product/...e-Spray-System

It comes with a 1.8 mm Plastic Needle, but I used the unit above to paint several Screens, including a couple 150"ers when I was last in London

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #715 of 715 Old 09-16-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
This is the one to go with of the two Earlex spray systems:

..........combined with either of the two replacement needles below. The 3500 comes with a 2.0 mm Needle
Earlex HVACV1 1.0mm Needle Brass Tip HV3500

Earlex HVACV15 1.5 mm Brass Tip and Needle Kit for HV3500

Or this Fall-Back Wagner Control Spray:

http://www.handyhardware.ie/product/...e-Spray-System

It comes with a 1.8 mm Plastic Needle, but I used the unit above to paint several Screens, including a couple 150"ers when I was last in London
Thanks Maurice

I'll go with the HV3500 since i plan to use it a fair bit fingers cross.

I'll be in touch to arrange getting some pre-mixed paint
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page