Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #691 of 699 Old 08-18-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I pulled this right off the top of the first page......and have added current edits:

RS-MaxxMudd Retro v.2.1(darkest and highest gain of the rs-maxxmudd mixes, note the amount of SILVER in the mix)

20 oz Liquitex Basics Silver (now....Rustoleum Metallic Accents Sterling Silver)
10 oz Rustoleum Metallic Accents - White Pearl
10 oz Behr 1850 (1750) Ultra Pure White - Flat

12 oz Minwax PolyAcrylic Satin Finish (now...Rustoleum's Ultimate Polyurethane Matte Finish (water based)
16 oz distilled/tap water**

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 699 Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I pulled this right off the top of the first page......and have added current edits:

RS-MaxxMudd Retro v.2.1(darkest and highest gain of the rs-maxxmudd mixes, note the amount of SILVER in the mix)

20 oz Liquitex Basics Silver (now....Rustoleum Metallic Accents Sterling Silver)
10 oz Rustoleum Metallic Accents - White Pearl
10 oz Behr 1850 (1750) Ultra Pure White - Flat

12 oz Minwax PolyAcrylic Satin Finish (now...Rustoleum's Ultimate Polyurethane Matte Finish (water based)
16 oz distilled/tap water**
Awesome thanks MM! So I just throw all of that in a bucket and and shake the crap out of it and start spraying and I'm golden?

Last edited by bplufkin; 08-18-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: pour spellin
post #693 of 699 Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 PM

Thanks so much!

Ordered the paint. A couple quick questions after re-reading the entire thread...

1. Does this sprayer work if I use the detail finish Nozzle? http://www.menards.com/main/p-2282464-c-8142.htm I already own it.
2. Does Wilsonart DW need a primer coat before applying MM?
2.1 If so, what is the best primer to use?
2.2 If so, It looks like some are rolling primer but I would think spraying is best, thoughts?
2.3 If so, does the primer need to be sanded before applying?
3. No matter if the primer needs to be sanded it looks like I'll need to sand after the first 2 duster coats of MM so... what is the best sandpaper/product to use?

Thanks!

Also, earlier tonight I finished the first of 2 large DIY acoustic panels that will double as housing for my can lights and room treatment that I believe are a suitable alternative to backer boxes. I'll find a different thread to post the info on but I thought I'd share here since it's top of mind (my mind). I got the idea from a studio I'm recording at.
post #694 of 699 Old 08-19-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplufkin View Post
Thanks so much!

Ordered the paint. A couple quick questions after re-reading the entire thread...

1. Does this sprayer work if I use the detail finish Nozzle? http://www.menards.com/main/p-2282464-c-8142.htm I already own it.
It should, but at best the Tip is a 1.8 mm, so it is absolutely imperative you use the rapid Duster Coat method.

Quote:
2. Does Wilsonart DW need a primer coat before applying MM?
No...the 1st two rapid Dusters, when left to dry completely, provide the Priming / Tack needed for all following coats. However, scrubbing it (WA-DW) all over with a Dry Magic Eraser removes the sheen and preps the surface really well.

Quote:
3. No matter if the primer needs to be sanded it looks like I'll need to sand after the first 2 duster coats of MM so... what is the best sandpaper/product to use?

Thanks!
Go into Home Depot to the Drywall Tools section and look for the 3" x 8" x 1" Large Fine Grit Sanding Sponge.

Use it dry, and with a very light touch and broad sweeping strokes. You just smoothing....not "removing".

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #695 of 699 Old 08-21-2014, 06:25 AM

This was the only ingredient I didn't order because according to a previous post one can find it at Lowe's. I went to 2 different Lowe's in town. The first one was out of the Matte Finish (no discussion on whether or not it was oil or water based). I then went to one across town where they had a few qts but after talking with the paint lady the one they carry is OIL based and she didn't think they had a water based option. Obviously she is wrong... but I still need to get my hands on a water based Rustoleum Ulitmate Polyurethane Matte Finsih because oil based will not work... right? Anyone know where I can get it? Here is what Amazon has but I'm not too confident this is what I want: http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-260...dp/B00714ZOOA#

Any help is much appreciate. Thanks!!
post #696 of 699 Old 08-21-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

....but I still need to get my hands on a water based Rustoleum Ulitmate Polyurethane Matte Finsih because oil based will not work... right?
Water based only...that is why it sez what it sez above.

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-260...dp/B00714ZOOA#

The above will work, it's just almost 2x the Store cost.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #697 of 699 Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

This was the only ingredient I didn't order because according to a previous post one can find it at Lowe's. I went to 2 different Lowe's in town. The first one was out of the Matte Finish (no discussion on whether or not it was oil or water based). I then went to one across town where they had a few qts but after talking with the paint lady the one they carry is OIL based and she didn't think they had a water based option. Obviously she is wrong... but I still need to get my hands on a water based Rustoleum Ulitmate Polyurethane Matte Finsih because oil based will not work... right? Anyone know where I can get it? Here is what Amazon has but I'm not too confident this is what I want: http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-260...dp/B00714ZOOA#

Any help is much appreciate. Thanks!!
I got mine at a Lowe's in Gainesville, FL by using the store pickup option online.
post #698 of 699 Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 AM

Thanks Mississippi Man and Medisinyl! Not a big surprise but I actually asked the lady at Lowe's if they could just order the water based and she acted like it was a stupid question. That's whay I appreciate people who are willing to help like the good folks here on this forum. Thanks again!

BTW, it's ordered and will be here in about 10 days. So... In a couple weeks when the paint's dry I'll let you know how bad I "F'ed" it up
post #699 of 699 Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you look at the pic by mm... it says..."easy soap and water cleanup" right on the label..
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page