The Official RS-MaxxMudd V.2 Mix - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

Old 01-30-2016, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So here's the scenario I'm in and I know it's not optimal and I'm ok with fixing it.

I basically made MM but with 15oz wh pearl and 17oz silver and used poly minwax satin instead of a mat because I had trouble getting my hands on it and the minwax looked great years ago when I made my last MM. Everything else was as per MM

So the mix is darker of course and that would have been ok but I notice there is more sparkle in it than I would like. I find it a bit distracting. I'm thinking about making a half batch of MM LL and adding that to the 1/4 can that I still have from this mix. Do you think that would be enough to get rid of the sparkle? Or do you have a better idea?

Setup is 120" screen at 12' throw using 8350 projector. No windows in the room and will mostly be used at night with a little light leakage in the day time but I barely care about day use.

I'm not too worried about the repaint because there's a little uneven spot in the wall that I have to sand and fix anyhow. I couldn't see it until it shines like a hot spot on the screen.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2016, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 50
in many ways... maxmudd got it's updates when an update happened with silver fire we simply migrated the upgraded ingredients to maxxmudd as well.

your situation is as follows...
an upgraded projector, along with upgraded metal concentration from the upgrade ingredients, and a satin sheen instead of a matte from the poly.

and given your situation...
i'd do exactly what you suggested. make a 1/2 batch of LL with an additional 2 to 3oz of UPW flat and add it your remaining mix.
Barn01 likes this.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post
in many ways... maxmudd got it's updates when an update happened with silver fire we simply migrated the upgraded ingredients to maxxmudd as well.

your situation is as follows...
an upgraded projector, along with upgraded metal concentration from the upgrade ingredients, and a satin sheen instead of a matte from the poly.

and given your situation...
i'd do exactly what you suggested. make a 1/2 batch of LL with an additional 2 to 3oz of UPW flat and add it your remaining mix.
I appreciate your quick reply and confirmation of my plan. I like your added idea of the 2-3oz of UPW flat as well. I was thinking about adding some additional last night but I wasn't sure how much I could get away with to reduce the speckle effect but not cover it up. I'll give this a go and let you know how it turns out .... after I get all the hot spots out of this wall of course. That's what happens when I try to use a wall that someone else built haha.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:16 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Go all the way to 3 oz. of UPW to be safe.
Barn01 likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
Old 01-31-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Go all the way to 3 oz. of UPW to be safe.
I should have done 3 but I did 2.5 because I hadn't read this yet and 0.5oz is easy to measure on the food scale. Anyhow after a single coat and dry I can already see a huge difference. There is a lot less speckle but there is still some on the bright whites, mind you I kind of feel like that's normal? The shade is a little lighter gray as you would expect but funny it's not as light as I thought it would be. However I put on Avatar and was blown away at the colour depth and I didn't notice any speckle while watching. I'm very impressed and this is a heck of a lot better quality than the Panoview Wolf II screen that was sitting here before (the old home owners left it). It's hard to believe they can sell that piece of junk when you compare what a Lowe's paint mix can get you for $130. I loved the last MM screen that I did but I already love this one more!!

Thanks guys, job well done
HCORE likes this.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:46 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Very cool fur ya!

Yes, people do tend to want to have it all...the advantages of a higher gain, dark metallic laden mix, but without the potential issues such surfaces can bring to dinner.

I sense an opening for a MM dissertation, and since I took a nice dose of Percoset...I'm up for it. Way up

In that respect, for the given level of performance, the RS-MM / SF / BF family of paints do not grossly exhibit graininess artifacts compared to other similar paints or Mfg screens. But for some, "ANY" is too much, and that goes especially in these instances because everything else about the mentioned applications looks so great, the graininess seems to just put a damper on what should be / almost is a perfect situation.

The addition of UPW has been a quick fix for some time now, and in truth does not drastically affect the hallmark performance of any mix it's added to. While we could just up the UPW content across all the Formulas, there are more...a lot more people who do not see the graininess because they just don't crowd the screen.

Really, such artifacts only make themselves overtly noticeable in the darker / darkest iterations of the Mixes. The answer to that has come recently with the advent of Black Flame X1I , a mix with NO artifacts whatsoever.

As always has been the case, we strive to improve / correct thing, never rest on well deserved laurels. Unbelievably, some take us to task for making such changes, even suggesting that we always had them in our possesion, we just "held 'em back" so people would have to use something lessor.

How carrrazy is that reasoning?

Back to the "Barn"....
Enjoy your reinvigorated screen...and if later you care to post a few screenies, everyone will be glad to see 'em.

Salute!
HCORE likes this.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've searched the forums and haven't seen anyone using a non-air paint sprayer for projector screens. I have a graco magnum mx7. Would this be suitable? If not:
What currently available sprayer at lowes or HD do you recommend? I've seen numerous recommended however the posts are all a couple years old or more and the models mentioned are discontinued or no longer carried at those stores.

Regarding the 2.5 MM. I assume you just mix everything together and spray the 8 duster coats, sand, and spray a few more? I haven't been able to find any exact instructions so I assume you just toss it all together at the measured amounts.

I have a home made screen frame with BOC on it that I was going to paint. I've thought of using mdf but mounting it sounds like a PITA to hang/handle. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The current screen has the cloth side out so I think it will have issues with the fabric fibers when I paint it, not to mention it's torqued and has to be pinned to the wall to flatten it. I'd rather just have something I can stick up there and no worry about all kinds of fasteners.

My room is 11'8" X 13'1". The long ends have the door at one end and an electrical panel and window at the other. Obviously the end with the electrical panel and window is out. The other end would be ok since I have it all painted black however the screen would be offset because of the door being on one side. not really optimal. Do you think space wise I could get away with the screen being on one of the longer walls? I'm not so keen on having the fan of the projector whirling straight overhead but it's either that or the offset screen. This is the projector in case it matters: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3020e

Thanks for any input!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:00 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwp4life View Post
I've searched the forums and haven't seen anyone using a non-air paint sprayer for projector screens. I have a graco magnum mx7. Would this be suitable? If not:
What currently available sprayer at lowes or HD do you recommend? I've seen numerous recommended however the posts are all a couple years old or more and the models mentioned are discontinued or no longer carried at those stores.
The Magnum could be suitable, using the finest Tip possible and a low pressure setting, combined with the dusting technique. It would entail some practice and trial by combat to get the needed balance though.

Quote:
Regarding the 2.5 MM. I assume you just mix everything together and spray the 8 duster coats, sand, and spray a few more? I haven't been able to find any exact instructions so I assume you just toss it all together at the measured amounts.
There is a Step-by-step.

1, Mix Viscosity Components
2. Mix Paint Components
3. Mix Colorant
4. Mix 1. & 2. Together using a Cyclone Mixing Tool:
https://www.amazon.com/Marshalltown-PM798-Cyclone-Paint-Mixer/dp/B00NJYB3SM/
5. Mix desired amount of Colorant into the Viscosity / Paint component blend...thoroughly but not "whipping"

Quote:
I have a home made screen frame with BOC on it that I was going to paint. I've thought of using mdf but mounting it sounds like a PITA to hang/handle. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The current screen has the cloth side out so I think it will have issues with the fabric fibers when I paint it, not to mention it's torqued and has to be pinned to the wall to flatten it. I'd rather just have something I can stick up there and no worry about all kinds of fasteners.
The preferred Material is 6 mm Sintra / Komtex Expanded PVC Board. Knowing your location will allow me to help source / price the size needed. And BTW, I'd need to know what size Screen you envision having.

Quote:
My room is 11'8" X 13'1". The long ends have the door at one end and an electrical panel and window at the other. Obviously the end with the electrical panel and window is out. The other end would be ok since I have it all painted black however the screen would be offset because of the door being on one side. not really optimal. Do you think space wise I could get away with the screen being on one of the longer walls? I'm not so keen on having the fan of the projector whirling straight overhead but it's either that or the offset screen. This is the projector in case it matters: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3020e

Thanks for any input!
Myself, I would put the screen centered on a longer wall. Not only would it look better, the slightly wider area will help improve the sound stage as well as give you a wee bit more seat positioning flexibility.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
The Magnum could be suitable, using the finest Tip possible and a low pressure setting, combined with the dusting technique. It would entail some practice and trial by combat to get the needed balance though.

I have an air compressor with a built in regulator. . Maybe i'll just get an hvlp gun to use with it. A 1.4mm opening should suffice, correct?

There is a Step-by-step.

1, Mix Viscosity Components
2. Mix Paint Components
3. Mix Colorant
4. Mix 1. & 2. Together using a Cyclone Mixing
5. Mix desired amount of Colorant into the Viscosity / Paint component blend...thoroughly but not "whipping"

Cool. Thanks.

The preferred Material is 6 mm Sintra / Komtex Expanded PVC Board. Knowing your location will allow me to help source / price the size needed. And BTW, I'd need to know what size Screen you envision having.

I live in Frederick, MD. I was going to stick with 100" given the room size. Open to suggestions.

Myself, I would put the screen centered on a longer wall. Not only would it look better, the slightly wider area will help improve the sound stage as well as give you a wee bit more seat positioning flexibility.

Good point. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwp4life View Post
Good point. Thanks!

Sorry. Replies ended up in the quoted text.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:57 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

4 x 8 x 6 mm sheet in Baltimore for just $56.50 $5.00 Cut Charge to cut it to 85 x 48 ( 98" diagonal)

Piedmont Plastics
8991 Yellow Brick Rd
Baltimore, MD 21237
MANAGER:Brandi Campbell
PHONE:800-873-8405

Make note Sintra is designed and made specifically for Painting Signs. As such it is the preferred substrate for any "Fixed Solid Screen" application.

There are less expensive substrates, but no as ideally suited, nor as ready to accept the paint so well.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
4 x 8 x 6 mm sheet in Baltimore for just $56.50 $5.00 Cut Charge to cut it to 85 x 48 ( 98" diagonal)

Piedmont Plastics
8991 Yellow Brick Rd
Baltimore, MD 21237
MANAGER:Brandi Campbell
PHONE:800-873-8405

Make note Sintra is designed and made specifically for Painting Signs. As such it is the preferred substrate for any "Fixed Solid Screen" application.

There are less expensive substrates, but no as ideally suited, nor as ready to accept the paint so well.
Dude, you are amazing. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-18-2016, 07:10 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

So Happy to help! Now go on and ................

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200.gif
Views:	50
Size:	684.7 KB
ID:	1504833  
HCORE likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement