Live performance glass projection screen. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

First post here- excited that I found this forum! I need opinions/help on a glass projection screen.

background/idea - I am a musician/visual artist and I am preparing for a very unique performance experience.

A large part of that experience will be unique screen in front of me on stage. I am planning to have two white circle screens on either side of the performance, with a pane of projector glass between them (this will sort of be the wild card introduced a few songs in as the projections suddenly 'break free' from their screens and flow freely in front of me)

Glass screen- or flexy film screen I am mostly asking about projector glass or flexible projection film. Obviously scale is an issue. I think it will need to be front projected so that we will be able to move freely behind it.

Paint on plexiglass? Specially designed glass? I'm not sure where to go for this. A large sheet of glass (with some sort of structure I create to hold it safely) seems dangerous if it is constantly moved.

One good thing - It's okay for the image to appear 'ghostly' and not contrasty. All my images will be designed over black, to give them the look they are floating on stage. Think Disneylands Haunted Mansion ride ( see below )

I can't post links yet (first post) but I am looking at 3m and they have some interesting solutions for flexible screens that you can put on a clear surface.

Cost - I want to say cost is not an issue because I want whatever looks best, but obviously I will have to gauge cost vs quality. I know there is a wide range of types from regular glass with paint, to glass rolled with special surfaces that make projection possible. Searching online wields so many types at different costs! And of course the potential scale of this sheet of glass could inflate the cost immensely. Also I know these are mostly aimed at corporate events, so the costs are high.

Projector - I have a high lumens projector.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 250
There are a few things to consider, and some items that will help. Let me gather some info and respond in depth soon.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 6 Old 03-08-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

much appreciated, MississippiMan!
post #4 of 6 Old 03-09-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I am waiting for a return reply from a Company that specializes in such displays. Hopefully they will respond with a solution/material that will be sufficient for your needs without undue expense.

As this material is not to be construed as being "DIY" I will provide the info to you via PM and you can take it from there.

MM.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #5 of 6 Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

hello again!

Is there any answer from those companies?

thanks.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I would think you could go with Vikuiti from 3M along with Plexi or even device a tensioning/framing system yourself to support their material. This stuff I've seen a number of times and the effect of a floating ghost image is very impressive.

There are some issues with how clear/opaque this stuff is as well and whether that makes sense instead of perhaps projecting onto billowing sheets or something like that which will give a similar effect at far lower overall cost, and may provide a more 'ghostly' appearance to the entire effect.

While the 3M film may sound good, it may look more like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rear-Projection-...item1c16433037

Which may make it useless if you want it to appear 'clear' to the viewing audience.

I have seen nearly clear projection films, but it's been a while and I haven't a good idea of which make/model it was which was in use.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page