Has anyone used photo background paper as a screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm planning a 2.35:1 theatre and am planning to do a DIY paint screen until I can save enough to buy a "proper" screen. I was fiddling around in my photo studio over the weekend and it dawned on me that I have what I think will be a crackerjack screen material already: seamless photo background paper! We usually just call it "seamless".

White seamless photo background paper is designed to be color-neutral, cheap, and matte finish.

I know from experience that the stuff isn't durable but it is cheap. Has anyone on the forum used this stuff before? I was thinking that I'd mount it to a piece of laminate or something and then fit a black velvet border around it.

edit: If you want something more durable there's also the vinyl seamless but it's considerably more expensive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It's been discussed before. I did a quick search using "photo paper screen" and got several results.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-22-2011, 04:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 217
If you got some, and want to experiment, it's certainly something that will work. But as far as going to the trouble to laminate it onto a board, and make a finished Screen with it....well, you don't see any Threads on the subject, and as stated above, it has been "discussed", just not used to any extent at all.

Many other things will determine the correct Screen surface you'll need for a dedicated Theater w/2.35:1 formatting.

As for later getting a "Proper Screen", that's almost a slight against the excellent offerings we have here on AVS's DIY Screens. You can go ahead and make an "Excellent" DIY Screen now...for a fraction of the cost of any Mfg 2.35:1 Screen.

That is, if you don't haul up short of the needed effort and a correct choice.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 10 Old 03-22-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

As for later getting a "Proper Screen", that's almost a slight against the excellent offerings we have here on AVS's DIY Screens. You can go ahead and make an "Excellent" DIY Screen now...for a fraction of the cost of any Mfg 2.35:1 Screen.

I didn't choose my words carefully, sorry! By "proper" screen I meant anything other than the roll of paper I had laying around! I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone! I'm amazed at the talent on this forum.

Quote:

If you got some, and want to experiment, it's certainly something that will work. But as far as going to the trouble to laminate it onto a board, and make a finished Screen with it....well, you don't see any Threads on the subject, and as stated above, it has been "discussed", just not used to any extent at all.

Good point... there's probably a reason that nobody's talking about it... It's probably a bad idea to invest too much time and effort in a paper screen, I guess.

Quote:

Many other things will determine the correct Screen surface you'll need for a dedicated Theater w/2.35:1 formatting.

I'm dying to find out! Thanks for your help and please pardon my ignorance.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-23-2011, 01:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

I didn't choose my words carefully, sorry! By "proper" screen I meant anything other than the roll of paper I had laying around! I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone! I'm amazed at the talent on this forum.

I did say "almost"...so no worries. You'd really have to know how much you could accomplish building a effective DIY Screen and ignore that to really be distressing.

Quote:

Good point... there's probably a reason that nobody's talking about it... It's probably a bad idea to invest too much time and effort in a paper screen, I guess.

Well, all things DIY have some degree of potential, and someone such as yourself with ready access to a material such as Photo Background Paper would have to see some potential. That's why the other obvious choice...a smooth White Wall isn't hard to postulate as being something that would also do nicely. But DIY Screen Making has progressed far beyond the obvious original choices.

Research, Realization and then taking the initiative is what DIY is based on. The presence of this Forum as a reference to more advanced choices is the conduit to more effective end results.

Quote:

I'm dying to find out! Thanks for your help and please pardon my ignorance.

Let's just call it "being a beginner" because anyone who posts on this forum with the intent of making a Big Screen cannot be construed as being ignorant by most values we hold dear.

Things to consider:
  • Desired Screen size
  • Type of Projector.
  • Will it be true 2.35:1 C.I.H. ("Constant Image Height") derived from the use of a Anamorphic Lens, or "Suedo 2.35:1 C.I.H. acheived by the PJ itself via Lens Memory? (Panny or Mitsubush units)
  • Room Dimensions. (W-H-D) and Seating Location (distance from Screen)
  • Room Color Scheme (Walls-Ceiling-Floor)
  • Room Lighting (Specific type-Positioning-Level expected when watching content...or the percentage thereof.
  • DIY Skill set ("Get'ter dun-ness")
  • Pre-set spending limits or work restrictions
  • Location.

All the above can and will shape the decision as to what type surface will best suit your needs.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #6 of 10 Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but I noticed a lot of passionate reactions (surprisingly negative) to the query... just not, apparently, from anyone who'd actually used it.

I've used seamless for years and found no better instant setup, extremely high quality screen material, and at a very tiny fraction of the cost of professional screens. The surface is exceptionally smooth, allowing for the highest possible sharpness your media can deliver. It's also bright and free of hot-spots.

Because it's paper, it requires forethought (and a good flat wall) when doing outdoor screenings on windy evenings. That's been the only challenge I've dealt with in using it.

My 9-foot wide roll of Savage Super White seamless lasted more than five years before the 12-yards ran out - often running 16mm Scope films on the seamless unrolled sideways, presenting an impressive 9' x 23' image. (16mm Scope is a tad wider than 2.40) For a $30 investment, I can't imagine a better deal.

Just ordered a Da-Lite Model C 58" x 104" HCMW to pair with my Epson 8350 because the black levels on the Epson aren't as deep as those on film, but for film presentation, I'll always return to white seamless for its quality as well as for its economy.

Chris ~
post #7 of 10 Old 10-05-2011, 09:20 AM

http://www.projectorcentral.com/diy_screen.htm

In this article on ProjectorCentral "Make a 100" Screen for under $100
" they are using RPS Super-White Background Paper (#SB-1251) for the DIY screen. Any comments on this type of screen material.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 02:39 PM

I know this is an old post, but I was considering making a 130" diagonal 2.351 curved screen with vinyl photography backdrop. Anyone ever do a curved vinyl photography paper screen?
post #9 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 PM

For a screen that I made a few months ago and destroyed yesterday, I used white photography paper and taped (later glued) to the wall so I wouldn't have to paint anything. BIG mistake.The paper would drastically expand and contract at the slightest change in humidity, making huge billows in the screen. Caused a lot of hassle, especially for anyone viewing the image slightly to the side. Neither glue nor 3 kinds of tape were enough to keep it from acting up. Perhaps if you keep it in a room that never has any windows open, you might have a shot.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 AM

I figured that would be an issue with the "paper", but how about the vinyl?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page