Black velvet from Joann Fabrics? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Seeing how I always prefer to buy first from local suppliers, I was wondering if someone could tell me which of the black velvet fabric sold by Joann Fabrics would be best for a screen trim. I would really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

Seeing how I always prefer to buy first from local suppliers, I was wondering if someone could tell me which of the black velvet fabric sold by Joann Fabrics would be best for a screen trim. I would really appreciate it.

There are a few different Brands they offer. What you want is a Velvet that when pulled flat exhibits no sheen or reflection when viewed at any angle. (....most all BVs will show a degree of sheen if you "crumple them or create ridges...). It should also be a type whose weave will allow it to "rip" evenly.

It should NOT be a "stretch" type, nor should it have any flocked backing.

"Double Eagle" brand, or "Madonna" are often available. But just ask the Help if the velvet you are looking at will "Rip" straight. If so....and the "flat" surface does not reflect light or "glisten"...you do OK.

Except for the cost....if you don't have a Coupon.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 05-01-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, bro. BTW, the screen looks WOW!!!!! SF v2 4.0 really made a difference! Now I just need to recalibrate the pj. What should I expect as far as recalibration with this new screen with SF v2 4.0? Increase in brightness/contrast settings? Perhaps run lamp in Normal instead of Eco?
Old 05-06-2011, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you go to JoAnn, there will be no mistaking which is the right one. The other ones are either stretchy or are so covered in lint and particles that you won't be able to tell what color it is!

This stuff is just smooth and luxurious if you run your hand over it, feels smooth and wipes off anything that might be stuck to it.

When you 'rip' it, trust that there will be velvet fuzzies everywhere (they are extremely staticky, you will be covered in them)

Don't forget your 50% off coupon, with the coupon, it rivals any price you can find on line for this kind of quality.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newB24 View Post

If you go to JoAnn, there will be no mistaking which is the right one. The other ones are either stretchy or are so covered in lint and particles that you won't be able to tell what color it is!

This stuff is just smooth and luxurious if you run your hand over it, feels smooth and wipes off anything that might be stuck to it.

When you 'rip' it, trust that there will be velvet fuzzies everywhere (they are extremely staticky, you will be covered in them)

Don't forget your 50% off coupon, with the coupon, it rivals any price you can find on line for this kind of quality.

Hi newb24, yea, I did go to JoAnns and noticed what you are saying. There was this one that looked almost gray from all the lint and junk stuck to it. Then there was this other one that looked pitch black and smooth. Nothing stuck to it. But it did have a slight sheen on ridges or creases when bent or folded. Is this normal for it to have this sheen? Once flat, it looks just pitch black. The sheen appears on folds or creases.

Also, what do you guys mean by "rip"?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
ERuiz;

you'll be fine... don't work about that slight sheen at the corner... you won't even be projecting on that.

as for the rip... what they mean is... if you snip it, you can then use your hands to 'rip' it the entire length instead of cutting it.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

ERuiz;

you'll be fine... don't work about that slight sheen at the corner... you won't even be projecting on that.

as for the rip... what they mean is... if you snip it, you can then use your hands to 'rip' it the entire length instead of cutting it.

Hi pb_maxx.... actually, I will be using the velvet on the wall, around the screen, so that when I zoom in to 2.40 AR, the black bars project onto the velvet and thus practically become invisible.

So by ripping, I snip it and when I tear it, it tears in a straight line like some cloth does?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi newb24, yea, I did go to JoAnns and noticed what you are saying. There was this one that looked almost gray from all the lint and junk stuck to it. Then there was this other one that looked pitch black and smooth. Nothing stuck to it. But it did have a slight sheen on ridges or creases when bent or folded. Is this normal for it to have this sheen? Once flat, it looks just pitch black. The sheen appears on folds or creases.

Also, what do you guys mean by "rip"?

Rip it.....rip it good.

If the Velvet is laying flat with no folds or ridges (...and it had better be... ) then it's not gonna disappoint you.

Quote:

So by ripping, I snip it and when I tear it, it tears in a straight line like some cloth does?

Yep. Measure the width you want, cut straight into the Fabric at least 4", and pull in opposite directions. I like to make it fun, and have someone take one end while I take the other, and walk quickly in opposite directions. RRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrip! You'll get a ripped edge that is absolutely straight as an arrow

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 05-06-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Rip it.....rip it good.

If the Velvet is laying flat with no folds or ridges (...and it had better be... ) then it's not gonna disappoint you.

Yep. Measure the width you want, cut straight into the Fabric at least 4", and pull in opposite directions. I like to make it fun, and have someone take one end while I take the other, and walk quickly in opposite directions. RRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrip! You'll get a ripped edge that is absolutely straight as an arrow

LOL Thanks MM! BTW, can a top stage be "upholstered" with BV? My top stage above the screen is plain wood painted in black. I was wondering if BV would work.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

LOL Thanks MM! BTW, can a top stage be "upholstered" with BV? My top stage above the screen is plain wood painted in black. I was wondering if BV would work.

Ab-sew-lewtlee! And far better than any Black paint ever could hope to.

Better still for such an application is this stuff;
http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm

It's expensive...$85.00 a shot but it absorbs light at up to 99.5% efficiency. It's self adhesive, comes in a 30" x 200" roll, and it's ideal for such under-pinning-s.

Black Velvet will do nicely though...it's just a bit of a PITA to upholster a inverted surface with. Myself, I'd rip pieces of 1/8" TWH and wrap 'em with BV then stick / screw those thin Panels to your overhang.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ab-sew-lewtlee! And far better than any Black paint ever could hope to.

Better still for such an application is this stuff;
http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm

It's expensive...$85.00 a shot but it absorbs light at up to 99.5% efficiency. It's self adhesive, comes in a 30" x 200" roll, and it's ideal for such under-pinning-s.

Black Velvet will do nicely though...it's just a bit of a PITA to upholster a inverted surface with. Myself, I'd rip pieces of 1/8" TWH and wrap 'em with BV then stick / screw those thin Panels to your overhang.

Better yet, unscrew the stage panels, upholster them with bv, then screw them back. :-)
Old 05-06-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Better yet, unscrew the stage panels, upholster them with bv, then screw them back. :-)

Ya didn't say the overhead Stage assembly was removable......ya gotta be precise in your descriptions of what your dealin' with for me to be dead on with my advice. Otherwise I might be just....well dead.

For certain, if you can remove those panels and upholster them, that's the way to do it.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ya didn't say the overhead Stage assembly was removable......ya gotta be precise in your descriptions of what your dealin' with for me to be dead on with my advice. Otherwise I might be just....well dead.

For certain, if you can remove those panels and upholster them, that's the way to do it.

No excuses. Hahahaha
Old 05-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You mean something like this?

This is a pic taken from BIGmouthinDC's theater over in the 'Dedicated Theater Design & Construction' forums. Probably the best example of (what I think) you're looking for.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvids4all View Post

You mean something like this?

This is a pic taken from BIGmouthinDC's theater over in the 'Dedicated Theater Design & Construction' forums. Probably the best example of (what I think) you're looking for.

Ditto!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:45 PM

Good thing I stumbled on this thread I was about to buy the stretch type. Can you link the one I would need to buy from Joann's? I have the coupon and was hoping to use it before it expires and I have to wait again.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 722
The velvet I used is Hancock fabrics Micro Vevet and last week it was $13 yd now $17.5. Available on-line. it is a nearly identical black to the SMX frame and masking. Hancock stores will honor Joanne coupons.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:29 PM

How much velvet do you need for a 100" diagonal sreen frame and where the heck is the 50% coupon? I've searched online to get nowhere on this coupon!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moutonja View Post

How much velvet do you need for a 100" diagonal sreen frame and where the heck is the 50% coupon? I've searched online to get nowhere on this coupon!

Our household gets the coupons as inserts in the newspaper. Ask your neighbors if you don't get the paper delivered with the ads. The quantity you'll need is about a linear foot longer than your screen width. The fabric will be wide enough to cut all the strips you will need to cover all the borders.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Go to the Joanne's fabrics website (while noone is looking, ssssh, must keep the man card), and there's a link somewhere to sign up for their e-mail list - sign up, they send the coupons periodically (once every week or two, but it isn't always 50%).
Old 08-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Thanks a bunch! The work y'all do on this forum is very valuable to all of us!

Ps I already signed up! Ha
Old 08-03-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moutonja View Post

Thanks a bunch! The work y'all do on this forum is very valuable to all of us!

Ps I already signed up! Ha

What? You jump on the first suggestion made? Not wise in the realm of the DIY'er.

It don't matter what coupon is available, unless it's 60% or more off w/no tax, nothin' "Store Bought" can equal Sy Fabrics Plush Triple Velvet at $7.50 yd.

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/P...Velvet/681/264

Moutonja, you'll have to get 3 yards.

Used by discriminating-ly cheap DIY'ers everywhere. I know this to be true as I'm a Charter Member of the DIY'ers DIFL Club and there just ain't no deal that's Mo Bedder than SY's offering.
Do It For Less

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 08-18-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:

What? You jump on the first suggestion made? Not wise in the realm of the DIY'er.

It don't matter what coupon is available, unless it's 60% or more off w/no tax, nothin' "Store Bought" can equal Sy Fabrics Plush Triple Velvet at $7.50 yd.

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/P...Velvet/681/264

Moutonja, you'll have to get 3 yards.

Used by discriminating-ly cheap DIY'ers everywhere. I know this to be true as I'm a Charter Member of the DIY'ers DIFL Club and there just ain't no deal that's Mo Bedder than SY's offering.
Do It For Less

Thanks for the suggestion MM.

Couple of questions for you:

1. Does this velvet pass the "rip" test?

2. Is this velvet stiff enough to not collapse on itself or sag at dimensions of 2" x 110"? (I am seeking a solution to top and side mask a pull down screen.)

Thanks!!!!

Daniel

JVC RS-10
Sony KDL-46S5100
Old 08-19-2011, 07:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by csedaniel View Post

Thanks for the suggestion MM.

Couple of questions for you:

1. Does this velvet pass the "rip" test?

Iffin' it didn't, it wuld not be seegested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csedaniel View Post

2. Is this velvet stiff enough to not collapse on itself or sag at dimensions of 2" x 110"? (I am seeking a solution to top and side mask a pull down screen.)

Thanks!!!!

That's a toughy. No...it's in no way "self supporting" or rigid. It's a fabric.

Might be done once the edges are sew over and Velco TaBs are used (w/Fabric Glue)

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but in the market to make a curtain type masking for a pull down that is much to large. I have worked with the BV from Joan Fabric and was wondering if the stuff from SYfabrics is the exact same brand? Is it lighter or heavier or about the same.
I was unable to get the stuff from JF to rip but I don't think I cut 4" in, so it may have been a user error. I did end up using a cutting wheel which worked well except for the fact I didn't have a cutting mat 8' long.. So really hope the rip thing works leaving a smooth straight piece of fabric that can hem straight without to much fuss.. not much of a tailor but can run a stitch on a machine.. Any tips or gotchas wellcome
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

The Plush Black Velvet from SY's is a single layer weave, that is why it will rip in a straight line.

Some black velvet is double layered, so that particular type will not rip. For what we use it for around here, single layer BV works great.

SY's Triple Plush is a "dress" velvet with a fine nap and matte sheen. It cost much less than any comparable cloth velvet at the Brick & Mortar-s.

I personally have used it for both screen Trim and Theater Curtains and Masking Panels.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you Sir! One other question that you may be able to answer.
I am trying to figure out how to hang these 3 panels I want to make. I like magnets as there is no rod and when you take them down everything goes back to being a living room.
However, with the screen 8' up, I would need a small ladder every night to "set up"
So I was considering a double rod with the vertical side panels on the back rod and the horizontal top panels on the outside.
My question is, using this as a masking system I am thinking it needs to be just the right length so when pulled out the horizontal curtains are straight across with no waves.. To that end I fear the opening between the panels would be a problem.
I guess the other option would be to have it one piece and pull it to one side.. back to looking crappy.. Maybe the 5 minutes, cost of 2' step ladder (less than a curtain rood) and magnets would actually be simplest and cleanest (with the lights out) .. Can't wait to move to a bigger home..
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Never mind. I am going with removable masking curtains attached with magnets, 2 side and one long top.
Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

There are a few different Brands they offer. What you want is a Velvet that when pulled flat exhibits no sheen or reflection when viewed at any angle. (....most all BVs will show a degree of sheen if you "crumple them or create ridges...). It should also be a type whose weave will allow it to "rip" evenly.

It should NOT be a "stretch" type, nor should it have any flocked backing.

"Double Eagle" brand, or "Madonna" are often available. But just ask the Help if the velvet you are looking at will "Rip" straight. If so....and the "flat" surface does not reflect light or "glisten"...you do OK.

Except for the cost....if you don't have a Coupon.

In a related question, what is the cheapest (probably not best) option for wrapping panels for surrounding my floating AT screen? Also from JoAnn and should be somewhat AT even though most of my audio is situated behind my 129" screen save for subs but that doesn't matter since they aren't directional anyway and will have no problem finding their way out. I figured this was a good thread to ask since you probably knew and that way anyone else looking could find the info too.

Edit: I read more of the conversation and it looks like that Black Plus Triple Velvet from Sy you linked to a few posts later might be exactly what I need. Can you confirm this?

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Confirmed....................... cool.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;