black, red, yellow, green and blue color plastic DIY screen.??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-10-2011, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Warning:
The Russ went crazy designing a DIY screen.

OK now tell me why this idea is total whack! and will not work??

I looked at DIY screen topics until my head spun.
I remember? in one thread that someone was saying that since we use R,G, B on the projector?? that a DIY screen may?? benefit??

Then I started looking at theater lights for live theater and noticed that they use red, green ,blue, yellow lights??

So I was wondering about using a black plastic sheet then on top of this a translucent RED plastic sheet and on top of this a translucent BLUE plastic sheet, and on top of this a translucent Green sheet and a final covering of a YELLOW translucent plastic sheet.

So on our DIY wood frame we have these five plastic sheets forming our screen??

I am wondering if the final color set for the DIY screen works better than a one color fits all of typical white, gray or jet black??

I warned you folks I had read way too many DIY screen threads.

DIY beats store purchased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-10-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
@Russell Burrows;

kinda how i felt when i first came on this forum. my mind was spinning ideas. then i started breaking down all the best mixes and of course all of the failures as well... as i'm one who likes to take up others failures and turn them into successes..

now as far as your possibly crazy idea...
here's a little bit about what i think...

i'm not sure you'd need a black behind the r, g, b, and y layers... as placing them one on top of each other in translucent layers may already produce a visually near black screen.

secondly, if the individual layers were to benefit from the individual colors on the projectors color wheel... and then if yellow is on top... how do r, g, and b benefit if the projected light must first travel through the yellow layer? and then before it viewed/perceived/reflected it must then travel through a yellow layer, or blue and yellow layer, etc?
post #3 of 5 Old 07-10-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking more of this screen maybe??? helping with red, yellow, blue and green push that I see on screens that are white or gray????

DIY beats store purchased.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 247
No....to be workable, all the primary colors would have to be both distributed in equal proportions over the surface, as well as interact with the projected light at or extremely near the surface.

As PB stated, in the application your considering, light passing through a specific color only will develop a decided push related to that color. Then the next color would not correct anything, just add to the "push" as well as attenuate the light further.

Each separate layer would be essentially act the same as a Colored Lens Filter you'd employ with a Camera to create a special effect.

Now...if you could find specific "extremely" translucent colors that when combined create complimenting shifts that in the end produce the desire shade of neutral Gray, the end effect might indeed be watchable. Such a solution would most likely "not" involve the 4 primaries though. But why one would go to such an extent to achieve "watch-ability" when superior performance is had with the less expensive and less complex, well proven methods this Forum has developed over the last decade is something best left to consider after a hard night of drinking.

That's put as generously mild as I can muster.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #5 of 5 Old 07-10-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
a couple more things to consider..,

if films are filmed with D65 in mind... then you'd have to put into the equation that r, g, b, and y are not of equal amounts... so therefore wouldn't the translucent layers or r,b,g, and yellow need to be different thicknesses?

and with respect to color push... wouldn't it push towards the last translucent layer? for example if yellow were the layer on top... wouldn't this screen tend to always push yellow then?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page