Advice on 156" painted wall screen, 18' throw, 2500 lumens, lots of ambient light - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 09-19-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
gotta love it. aint nothin' like watchin football on the REALLY big screen.
especially when you don't have to kiss your drinkin' buddies to do it.

ya done good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

gotta love it. aint nothin' like watchin football on the REALLY big screen.
especially when you don't have to kiss your drinkin' buddies to do it.

ya done good.

pb_maxxx,

Thanks so much!

I am so grateful to both you and MisssissippiMan. Everyone who has come over so far has been amazed at the Silver Fire screen.

I've taken MM's advice yet again and will pick up the thrifty white board cut to size for the velvet on Saturday morning.

Hopefully will be done by the end of the day. Will post the final pics then.
post #33 of 53 Old 09-24-2011, 11:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostau View Post

pb_maxxx,

Thanks so much!

I am so grateful to both you and MisssissippiMan. Everyone who has come over so far has been amazed at the Silver Fire screen.

I've taken MM's advice yet again and will pick up the thrifty white board cut to size for the velvet on Saturday morning.

Hopefully will be done by the end of the day. Will post the final pics then.

It's Sunday. Turn the PJ off, grab that camera, take those shots, and then turn the PC on!

BTW, can you go here and contribute as well?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1360471

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #34 of 53 Old 09-26-2011, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I'm a little late on my update. I had my Internet powered down so I could get the scaffolding back in to nail up the boards. Just powered it back on.

I went to Home Depot on Saturday and they cut all the boards on the long side for me. I've worked with a very patient friend pretty much around the clock since Saturday afternoon cutting the short sides to fit and wrapping/stapling the velvet.

I am 90% done. It took a long time to wrap and staple all the pieces. There are 10 in total. Only the bottom 2 remain. Out of 12 yards of velvet I will have about 4 inches left (whew ). I rented a Paslode nail gun and that really helped (especially for the 2 ceiling pieces). I had to return it at close of business Sunday and I just made it!

Here's the picture of the cut pieces as I got them from HD before I made the final cuts. I will post the finished pictures after I get the final 2 boards and the high surround speakers installed tomorrow night.

PS

My 2 favorite teams are 1-5 so far this year. I blame myself for not having the theater ready for opening day

post #35 of 53 Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

My normal job is keeping me busy so no time to finish up yesterday. Here's a quick status.

I just need to get the two bottom boards cut to 63.5" x 5 3/4" wrapped and mounted. After that the screen is exactly 127" x 71" (146" diagonal). I measured several times to be sure the frame was 16 x 9. I also checked with the projector on and I have just a tad of light hitting the edges of the black velvet all around (and hitting a straight edge 5 3/4" up from the bottom). Looking pretty good.

Still have to mount my black high surround speakers in the alcove upper corners on velvet side panels. The alcove board lengths are perfect and they stop just as the curve out of the alcove begins. The corners at the front ceiling of the alcove are also perfect! It's pretty hard to see all the corners now due to the darkness of the velvet. This angled shot shows it best. I'll shoot some close-ups later.
post #36 of 53 Old 09-27-2011, 08:34 AM

Any chance you have a reference shot of 'before velvet trim' so you can post side-by-side comparison pics? That would be pretty awesome.

Very classy job. Better watch out, MM will start asking you for advice.
post #37 of 53 Old 09-27-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post

Any chance you have a reference shot of 'before velvet trim' so you can post side-by-side comparison pics? That would be pretty awesome.

Thanks, but no chance on the advice front

Here's the same angle before the screen.

post #38 of 53 Old 09-28-2011, 04:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post

Been there...done that....

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #39 of 53 Old 09-30-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the pictures of the finished screen.

If you look closely you can barely see the high surround speakers on the sides flush with the top of the screen.

All the lines and corners are straight so I am pretty happy

I still have to get the 3 other TV's moved back. Totally rewiring the AV so it will take a bit. Will post the final, final pictures then.

Screen from right side...

Close-up of right corner (a little out of focus, sorry )...

Screen from left side...

Close-up of left corner...

post #40 of 53 Old 10-02-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

And we have football!

Still need to replace the tower speakers on the right an left, but other than that I am finished.

MississippiMan,

Thanks for all the help. Absolutely could not have done it without you. I kicked back a beer in your honor at Pappadeaux with my buddy

All of the shots were taken in the middle of the day with lot's of Arizona ambient light.

Finished room from the left...

Finished room from the center...

Finished room from the right...

post #41 of 53 Old 10-02-2011, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
that's a LOT of light your throwing at that screen.
and all i can say is... B E A U T I F U L.
as my jealously starts to kick in.
post #42 of 53 Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

pb_maxxx,

Thanks to you and Silver Fire 4.0!

It's even better at night. Watched The Empire Strikes Back in high def last night and my friends stayed till the end (not normal for them ).

As close to a theater experience as I could hope for at home
post #43 of 53 Old 10-17-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

MississippiMan,

Now that I've had a week or two with the screen I thought I would fill out your Silver Fire Roll Call Survey, but first I have a couple questions and did not want use up real estate on that thread to ask these questions...

I don't know what Speckles and Sparklies are. Could you clarify?

I do have some hot spotting but I am sitting far closer to the screen than most would. About 16' from a 147" screen.

When I stand back in the kitchen or the back of the room they are barely visible. How would you like me to report the data. From the 16' position or from the 24' position.

PS

Thanks for all the help and advice. Everyone loves the screen and was truly impressed that "I" could do such a great job. Obviously "I" could not have done it without you!
post #44 of 53 Old 10-18-2011, 04:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Traveling...will respond in depth later in AM. I have already lost two responses due to careless one finger typing...one a long, detailed effort. Done in now. Hold yer horses.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #45 of 53 Old 10-20-2011, 12:05 PM

Pictures with no ambient light?
post #46 of 53 Old 10-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Liked: 13
That's one sweet setup you got going on there! Have you considered running the velvet to the floor? Looks sharp regardless, congrats!
post #47 of 53 Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post

Pictures with no ambient light?

I can do that! Coming soon...
post #48 of 53 Old 10-21-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhander View Post

That's one sweet setup you got going on there! Have you considered running the velvet to the floor? Looks sharp regardless, congrats!

Thanks,

Believe me, there is PLENTY of black. Most of the black above the screen is actually the ceiling. The high surrounds helped a lot by providing a visual queue to where the top of the back wall ends and the ceiling begins. Until they were mounted it was very strange as the screen appeared to float in a black abyss

The 3 TV's below provide the continuation of the black to the floor as well. When in a seated position you see very little of the back white wall.
post #49 of 53 Old 10-22-2011, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi mostau,

would you mind sharing some more snapshots of movies under your ambient light situation as well?
post #50 of 53 Old 10-22-2011, 04:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostau View Post

MississippiMan,

Now that I've had a week or two with the screen I thought I would fill out your Silver Fire Roll Call Survey, but first I have a couple questions and did not want use up real estate on that thread to ask these questions...

I don't know what Speckles and Sparklies are. Could you clarify?

Speckles:
When a Silver Based reflective material is suspended in a lighter than or darker than base, there must be as smooth and even a balance of reflectivity and base color or under certain conditions (...a panned Light Sky or light splid color area...) you can see the less reflective area as a "speckle".

Sparklie:

Same reason / answer as for speckles, only the visible area comes across as being a "Glittery" effect. Mostly, this effect is tied to the angle in which the projected light strikes the reflective particles on the screen as relates to the angle one views that light.

Quote:

I do have some hot spotting but I am sitting far closer to the screen than most would. About 16' from a 147" screen.

When I stand back in the kitchen or the back of the room they are barely visible. From the 16' position or from the 24' position. How would you like me to report the data.

Hot Spotting refers to lighter colored areas appearing to have a glare, from slight to excessive, that washes out detail at worst, or simply seems "too bright" in relation to darker content. This is often confused with "Reflective Uniformity" pf a Screen, where the center of the image is noticeably brighter than the edges.

So how do I want you to describe what you see? Well gee, if this was a Court of Law, and you were a witness for the defense (SF), that would be obvious. One does not ask such a witness to say anything that might send him "Up the River". But SF isn't on trial....it's being asked to be honestly evaluated by the end users. Ya gotta call it as ya see it, Bro.
(BTW, your check is in the mail... )

Quote:

PS

Thanks for all the help and advice. Everyone loves the screen and was truly impressed that "I" could do such a great job. Obviously "I" could not have done it without you!

Your welcome, ya know that. You took to advice like a hungry Horse to a full trough, and didn't start buckin' when you saw a different feed than you expected to have to eat. So now....., We ride.

Oh...a big BTW. Give the Screen a little extra time to cure before you pass final judgment as to any hot spotting. That effect decreases proportionately to the time the paint has to cure. After 1 month...it's about 95% to where it will be for the duration.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #51 of 53 Old 10-22-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post

Hi mostau,

would you mind sharing some more snapshots of movies under your ambient light situation as well?

Sure. Will be a couple days as I am attending the Cards/Steelers game tomorrow.
post #52 of 53 Old 10-22-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Speckles:

Hot Spotting refers to lighter colored areas appearing to have a glare, from slight to excessive, that washes out detail at worst, or simply seems "too bright" in relation to darker content. This is often confused with "Reflective Uniformity" pf a Screen, where the center of the image is noticeably brighter than the edges.

Hmmm, now I'm not certain I have hot spotting. What I see a bright area where the projector is reflecting directly back at my position. If you walk by the screen the spot will move as the angle between me and the projector changes.

I'm not sure about the speckles or sparklies yet. Will invite some friends over, watch a move and discuss.
post #53 of 53 Old 03-09-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

I updated my setup since I built the screen with some new furniture and a PT-AR100U projector. This projector appears to be custom built for my situation (145" screen and lots of ambient light).

You can read my review of the PJ at the following link...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358778/panasonic-pt-ar100-msrp-1-999-4000u-replacement-kind-of/870#post_22977370

So how does my Silver Fire v2.1/4 screen look with the new PJ after 18 months? In a word AWESOME biggrin.gif If anything the screen has improved over time. I never had any speckles or sparklies and hot spotting is now zero in the daytime and barely noticeable at night. SF4 black levels at night are incredible.

If any of you are wondering if all the work to paint one of these screens is worth it, all I can say is "Hell Yes!" Just jump in with both feet and do it!

These pictures were all taken today at about 12:30 PM in the afternoon (a partly cloudy Phoenix day, but still plenty bright).

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page