Too big for sintra? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-23-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of setting up a home theater in our basement. My new Epson 8350 came in yesterday and will be mounted from the ceiling as soon as the mount comes in. I have a huge, open wall with nothing but space to fill on it. Any solution I've come across so far for covering a large area looks like it's going to end up costing more than I'd like to spend (it took some convincing just to buy the pj). The dimensions of the usable wall in the picture are 128" x 68". That's from the lower part of the drop ceiling in the top left, down to the outlets on the lower left and then over to the box hiding the water main on the right. I know... terrible placement for a water main shutoff... The pj will have a 17 foot throw and I used it to watch a movie last night at around 133" diagonal.

At this point I feel like my best bet is going to be to paint the wall, it's flat and has just a few marks/holes to fill and sand down. I'm thinking maybe a medium gray if I paint it. If possible I'd love to frame out the area and use some black velvet to combat the white tiles in the drop ceiling. I'll also be putting something on the floor as these snap-together faux wood floors reflect everything. It's tough to tell from the bad picture but the walls are tan.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions/tips are much appreciated.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-24-2011, 01:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkasaurus View Post

I'm in the process of setting up a home theater in our basement. My new Epson 8350 came in yesterday and will be mounted from the ceiling as soon as the mount comes in. I have a huge, open wall with nothing but space to fill on it. Any solution I've come across so far for covering a large area looks like it's going to end up costing more than I'd like to spend (it took some convincing just to buy the pj).

Hello Donkasaurus!

Welcome to the DIY Screen Forum!

While we often do speak about how "Cheapskate" we DIY'ers are, in certain situations there is a minimum amount of time and expense required if one is to push the envelope of both size and performance.

One without the other usually means a less than satisfying end result. Read on...it won't be too scary.

Quote:

The dimensions of the usable wall in the picture are 128" x 68". That's from the lower part of the drop ceiling in the top left, down to the outlets on the lower left and then over to the box hiding the water main on the right. I know... terrible placement for a water main shutoff... The pj will have a 17 foot throw and I used it to watch a movie last night at around 133" diagonal.

Well let's scale back a bit. Sintra comes in 120" by 60" sheets. if you were viewing a 133" diagonal image in 16x9, that equates to being 116" x 65". Using Sintra at 108" x 60" will give you a 122" diagonal image.

Since you seem to have only one row of seating, you'll want to use every bit of that extra 8" height to drop down the screen's top edge from the upper edge of the Ceiling tiles. Yes...you could treat the ceiling Tiles to reduce reflections, but a "too close" proximity can defeat all but the most effective treatments (...ProtoStar Telescope Flocking could handle anything you toss onto it but it costs serious coinage...)

Quote:

At this point I feel like my best bet is going to be to paint the wall, it's flat and has just a few marks/holes to fill and sand down. I'm thinking maybe a medium gray if I paint it.

Sometimes it seems such is the best course....certainly the least costly as relates to size issues, and without a doubt it fills the "DIY" bill. However when size matters, so does performance. One does not (,,,in my reasoning...) combat room reflections by producing a less dynamic and brilliant image. Any simple medium Gray paint is going to attenuate the projected light as it hits the screen. Si due care must be taken to consider exactly what type of performance you want....or need.

First to consider is just how blemish free you can get the Drywall. Consider this; all too often, it is not until you actually apply a Gray paint that all the noticeable wall blemishes start showing up. Any Gray surface has a contrast boosting effect, deepening shadows that are the essence of the surface irregularities of scratches, pits, bumps and the like.

While it's entirely possible to achieve a "Baby Butt" smooth drywall surface, it's only possible if one takes the pains to be certain that happens. That requires fixing the blemishes you can see. So first, you do exactly that. THEN....you apply a inexpensive medium Gray paint (a tinted Primer is excellent to use) and then check out the surface. Fix all the issues you missed....and you will have missed some, lemmie yell ya sumpthin..., then re=prime using a white primer.

OK...so your good to go as far as applying anything you want to. But what to choose from all that is there to offer? If you have saved the $93.00 or so a 120" x 60" x 6mm (...or $60.00 for 3mm...) sheet of "already smooth" Sintra costs, then open up and consider assembling a higher performance paint mix (...approx. $60-70.00...) and get this little $49.00 beauty;

http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

...or this one for $30.00 more.....

http://www.gleempaint.com/wagner-con...pray-plus.html

I got 'em both, and they are very multi-purpose sprayers that you will find value in for many other projects after you use them to create a nearly perfect surface for the 8350 to blast away on.

Quote:

If possible I'd love to frame out the area and use some black velvet to combat the white tiles in the drop ceiling. I'll also be putting something on the floor as these snap-together faux wood floors reflect everything. It's tough to tell from the bad picture but the walls are tan.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions/tips are much appreciated.

Yep...you can easily wrap the tiles (...or apply it with spray adhesive...) with Black Velvet, and that will help immensely to reduce adverse reflections. And covering the Floor directly below the screen is also critical. bit to be effective you have to treat both surfaces out at least 5' from the Screen wall..

All said, nothing your considering doing...or that I've suggested doing will amount to even 1/3rd the cost of a inexpensive 120" to 130" diagonal Mfg Fixed Screen. Oh absolutely, you can simply do a quick job of wall repair, prime with white, apply a simple neutral Gray in the Munsell 7.5 range, calibrate to that shade of Gray, and the 8350...along with your own effort, will most likely leave you very happy. But content....not so much so if you get to reading (...and seeing...) the results others have achieved using just a bit more moxie and expense.

Just take everything you can into consideration, and do everything you can to mitigate the undesirable elements you face and in the least you'll know you didn't hedge on anything simply to take the quick, easy, and too cheap route.

Good luck....and you know where to go to find all the help you'll need to accomplish more that you have considered possible for the effort and cash you outlay..

MM

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 4 Old 08-24-2011, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What a pleasant surprise to check my post this morning and see that MM has replied

A 122" screen works for me. That 133" was more of a "Hey honey, look how big this projector image gets on our wall!" kind of thing. A couple questions about Sintra. Where would I order a 108"x60" sheet? (I live in Rhode Island) I don't have any sort of storm door access to the basement so could I roll/bend it? How do you typically mount the sintra to the wall?

I've gone ahead and ordered the no name sprayer (I was planning on repainting some doors soon anyway).

Thanks again for your help MM, you're a great asset to the AVS community.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkasaurus View Post

What a pleasant surprise to check my post this morning and see that MM has replied

A 122" screen works for me. That 133" was more of a "Hey honey, look how big this projector image gets on our wall!" kind of thing. A couple questions about Sintra. Where would I order a 108"x60" sheet? (I live in Rhode Island) I don't have any sort of storm door access to the basement so could I roll/bend it? How do you typically mount the sintra to the wall?

I've gone ahead and ordered the no name sprayer (I was planning on repainting some doors soon anyway).

Thanks again for your help MM, you're a great asset to the AVS community.

Just a heads up that I hope MM doesn't object to. Using the full 60" of the Sintra does not leave anything for a border. No biggee, if you can mount the screen with the edge flush to the border. Just keep this in mind as you are figuring out how you're going to frame the screen. I'm sure MM has a method and will advise as you get further into the process.
Mounting can be directly to the wall, or to a frame. Plenty of methods are in the archives. I screwed my Sintra to a 1x4 frame using screws which I later covered by a border. Since the border covered 1.5" on each side it left 57" for height and resulted in 117" diagonal. Still respectable, but not the 122" if you can mount the border flush.
The Sintra flexes pretty easily, so unless you have really tight access, you should be able to get it into most basements if mounted after transporting down the stairs.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page