Just BLEW the budget on finishing the basement and need a cheap screen - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great, I noticed you typically recommend a Behr Faux glaze as the base, I was at sherwin williams yesterday and they're having a 40% off sale on all their paints including faux glazes. Most painters I've known prefer the quality of sherwin's paints to other brands, is behr definitely the way to go for this application?

Thanks,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave35 View Post

Great, I noticed you typically recommend a Behr Faux glaze as the base, I was at sherwin williams yesterday and they're having a 40% off sale on all their paints including faux glazes. Most painters I've known prefer the quality of sherwin's paints to other brands, is behr definitely the way to go for this application?
Thanks,
Dave

The Behr is a know quantity....it's a "Clear Matte" glaze. One could through supposition expect any quality version of Clear Matte Glaze of the same specification, one that is mfg by another company to hold true to the same results....but that remains supposition until proven otherwise.

Over the years, many try substituting one thing for another for various reasons. It's been my experience that more often than not....it's a regrettable decision.

You'd have to have both Glazes in hand, and make a direct comparison between them to come close to determining any differences. To me that's a crazy lot of trouble when the Behr has been so well proven.

Then again....you might make a discovery that could benefit many people. (...including stockholders in SW wink.gif )

As for me...I'm headed down to the Beach.....the Surf is WAY up!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #33 of 39 Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Surfing? You got the life. Behr it is. I've been searching the forum for an accurate formula and getting some variances on the liquitex amounts. Any suggestions or perhaps a link to the correct formula?

Thanks,
Dave
post #34 of 39 Old 09-26-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Dave,

Since the Liquitex SIlver has been in use, the % ratio of Glaze to Silver suggested has been able to fluctuate dependent upon PJ specs and screen size...but essentially it's 8 oz to a Gallon of Glaze.

It can go as high as 10%. Silver to 90% Glaze, but a marked loss of viewing cone can result, and is especially dependent upon how it is applied and in how many coats.

Going out again today.
A bit more casual affair this time, 4-5' footers vs the 8-10'ers the last time

Shoot...might just do some Boogie'n instead. A 5'er on a Bodyboard is like a 10'er with a Longboard.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #35 of 39 Old 09-26-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

I never thought of Mississippi as having decent surf, I always think of the Gulf as being pretty calm, whaddayaknow. I saw another S-I-L-V-E-R sprayer went with a quart, would that be sufficient for a 138" screen or should I go full gallon?

Thanks,
Dave
post #36 of 39 Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm currently on Maui. cool.gif

Big difference.

.......and I cannot imagine how anyone could do any S-I-L-V-E-R over 82" with just a Quart.

In your case, a gallon just makes good common sense.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #37 of 39 Old 04-18-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, 1.5 years later I'm jumping on the upgrade train to one of the AV Science VWPro1 B-Stock Projectors. I know it's 3-4 year old hardware, but next to my 7 year old used $200 AW10 off craigslist. I'm hoping it's a noticeable step up.

The AW10 has been awesome though, running Netflix or a bluray, I can't imagine much better (I realize 99% of what's built today is better on paper...and perhaps in reality). Perhaps some better detail in extremely dark scenes or a brighter picture overall, but I've been very happy with this setup. But with the bulb at about 900 hours, the thought of buying a new bulb for more than I spent on the projector......

Had it not been for MM, and his incredible dedication, I probably would have ended up with a white rectangle painted on the wall, and had a mediocre experience at best. By now I very well may have scrapped the projector and 138" rectangle in favor of a low cost Sharp or Vizio Flat Screen.

Thanks MM!
post #38 of 39 Old 04-19-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sawrite.

Be sure to post a few screenies coming from that new PJ and your old DIY Screen. It's important for people to know that a great screen needs no upgrade when a new PJ is chosen.

Add a "please" to that, of course!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #39 of 39 Old 04-27-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Just hung it up and here's a screenshot out of the box, no tinkering yet with the VW PRO1 DSC_0978.JPG 3006k .JPG file .

Here's one with the original AW10 of virtually the same scene, DSC_0977.JPG 3510k .JPG file

I took 2 more with an iphone 5 of a more recognizable scene, first the AW10 IMG_14011.JPG 1551k .JPG file

and the VW PRO1 IMG_14091.JPG 1267k .JPG file

Definitely an improvement with the projector, but even with the original, it looked great.......keep in mind the AW10 could use a new bulb at this point, but when I set it up 800 hours ago, I was content.

If you can suggest any scenes from something currently on Netflix, I'd be happy to snap a shot, thanks again for your help with this!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page