BOC on Flat panel stand? Would it work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I am about to make my BOC screen (plain for now, MM painted later) and just looked at some component racking options. I realized that the one I liked had a Flat Panel mounting system on it. Could I use that mount, with some extra boards on the back of the screen to mount it to the flat panel mount? Then the screen would be attached to the rack with the components where a flat panel TV could be mounted. Has anyone tried this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-14-2011, 12:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubutler View Post

So, I am about to make my BOC screen (plain for now, MM painted later) and just looked at some component racking options. I realized that the one I liked had a Flat Panel mounting system on it. Could I use that mount, with some extra boards on the back of the screen to mount it to the flat panel mount? Then the screen would be attached to the rack with the components where a flat panel TV could be mounted. Has anyone tried this?

I thought of it about 3-4 months back when I saw a Entertainment set-up like that on display at Costco. I thought: "You could easily mount a 84" diagonal up on one of those...."

But I never thought about it again. So I'd say go for it! It sounds really cool. Might start a trend...who knows?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 10 Old 10-14-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I think I will build it this weekend. I was thinking about going with a 102". I have the BOC, and then once this concept flops or works, I need to mix me some MUD and get it painted. I bought the $49 sprayer, and can't wait to play. The old AE900U is getting long in the tooth and I need something to replace it with.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-15-2011, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

MM,
Don't know if you ever make it to Chapel Hill, but if you do, name your beer, we have some good BBQ, and you are welcome to come say hi. If you wanted to paint a screen then cool, if not, I can always drink a beer and eat some BBQ....
post #5 of 10 Old 10-15-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

MM,
Don't know if you ever make it to Chapel Hill, but if you do, name your beer, we have some good BBQ, and you are welcome to come say hi. If you wanted to paint a screen then cool, if not, I can always drink a beer and eat some BBQ....

Thank you for that invite! I get to that neck of the woods often enough to archive the invitation and then haul it out and wave it in the breeze. As for screen painting, I'm always up for that....year round.

Meanwhile, be sure to keep us abreast of your efforts, and be certain to ask for any help or advice you might need....always.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #6 of 10 Old 10-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Sounds pretty cool. Have you thought of using sintra instead of BOC? Talk about the ultimate flat screen... Glue something to the back to screw the mount to, then paint the back black.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-15-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

Sounds pretty cool. Have you thought of using sintra instead of BOC? Talk about the ultimate flat screen... Glue something to the back to screw the mount to, then paint the back black.

That is really what I was thinking when I first considered that idea.

But the OP/TS was inquiring as tp BOC, and you know me....I would never suggest something different that would be Mo' Bedder.

Thanks for taking the fall.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #8 of 10 Old 10-15-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Well, as I dummied it up, I deceided an 84" on the stand (that I had to go buy) would be the right size. SOo, off I went. This is completely temporary, but an 84" I can use in the bedroom once I get moved into a house and build a Sintra or something. But, in the mean time, I get to play with something different and very light weight.

Now that you have the invite blowing in the wind come on over. What beer is that that you drink? Micro brews? MGD? Of course you know BBQ here is vinegar based, pulled pork. Different and fantastic.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-15-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, as I dummied it up, I deceided an 84" on the stand (that I had to go buy) would be the right size. SOo, off I went. This is completely temporary, but an 84" I can use in the bedroom once I get moved into a house and build a Sintra or something. But, in the mean time, I get to play with something different and very light weight.

Now that you have the invite blowing in the wind come on over. What beer is that that you drink? Micro brews? MGD? Of course you know BBQ here is vinegar based, pulled pork. Different and fantastic.

Stock up on Sam Adams Octoberfest. I might be a' eatin' that Pulled Pork witcha before ya know it!

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #10 of 10 Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

In answer to my own question... IT DOES work. I built a super simple plain Jane 84" BOC screen, ran 2 vertical boards up the back, attached the flat panel holders, and hung my screen on the stand. Once I have good light in the room I will take pictures. I think this may have a great amount of Spousal Approval Factor, as the stands are quite attractive, but that is just me saying that.

I have to decide on the replacement projector, and love my AE900 Panny for the lens shift etc, but I want to play with a 1080P projector now. Was thinking HD3300, or Epson 3010, or Panny 7K.

John
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page