Questions about my "man cave" screen =D! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-15-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a BenQ w600 and really excited about getting my "man cave" together!
I have now reached the point where I am building my DIY screen and I have a few questions about the construction of my project =]

I'm planning on constructing my frame based off of this template...
It seemed to be more sturdy then most of the other frames I saw online.

First question: If I use white pine 1x4s for the frame of my screen will these boards warp over time and cause wrinkles on my BOC after a while?
-If so, what would be a good cost effective alternative?

Second Question: I'm looking for cheap black velvet to wrap around the base boards going around my screen.
Does anyone have any experience with this velvet from JoAnns, or know if it would work well as the border?
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd768914

P.S. I plan to post pictures of my whole setup when I am finished!

Thanks so much for everyone's input!

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-15-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Any wood that is not kiln dried will warp a lot. Much of the dimensional lumber is what they call surface dry, and still has high moisture content. Interior trim wood is more stable but has the ability to warp over time with humidity changes.

I built my frame out of laminated strips of plywood and developed a method of post stressing the skin. It has been hanging in a basement with high humidity swings for about 5 years and is still drum skin tight. There is a link in my signature as to how it works.

Saving a little cost on frame wood is not the place to cut corners IMO.

Bud

post #3 of 16 Old 11-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
There's a problem with your dimensions as well. 51.75 x 1.78 = 92, so that would seem good. But when you put trim in those dimensions you have a problem. Lets say you use 3" trim. 51.75 - 6 = 45.75. 92 - 6 =86. BUT 45.75 x 1.78 = 81.4. Oops! pick your screen size. Pick your trim size. Add the trim dimensions to the screen dimensions. That's your frame dimensions.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-15-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
IMO forget wood and go with sq alum tubing, there are a few threads here that show low cost/easy methods.
I speak from experience, my curved screen is a hybrid alum sq tube/wood, and the wood causes me issues with humidity swings.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Kirnak makes a good point, unless You plan on your frame / boarder to be outside your frame. One of my favorite designs is where the screen surface is standing in front of the light absorbing boarder. It gives a floating look to the image and also makes it easy to repaint the screen if desired.

Aluminum tubing is an excellent choice in framing material if you are ok working in metal. The attachment of the fabric also can’t be stapled directly to the tubing and will require a wood backer or a different method of stretching the fabric.

Keep in mind it is not just the wood that’s affected by humidity but also the fabric. That was the reason I wanted a post tension screen.

Bud

post #6 of 16 Old 11-16-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
gotta agree with bud on the floater and no frame idea.

get the black velvet from jo-ann's or hobby lobby (print their 40% coupon online and use at your local store)... and line your front wall with it.

then get the 1/4" melamie board from menards for $23 and free float it with a french cleat on the top and bottom. it's dimensions are 49"x97."

or go with 6mm sintra / komatex if you want a larger size.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback!!

I think im going to get some alluminum square tube to make the frame then. Because i figure if i sew velcro to my BOC and secure it to my alluminum frame through industrial velcro; if i ever need to retighten my BOC I could just undo the velcro and stretch it some more.

Would that be possible? Or would the velcro not support the tension needed?

Aditionally i am going to free hang it like suggested and put blck velvet around it on the wall. (the wall is already dark dark red )
post #8 of 16 Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by heilgid View Post

I think im going to get some alluminum square tube to make the frame then. Because i figure if i sew velcro to my BOC and secure it to my alluminum frame through industrial velcro; if i ever need to retighten my BOC I could just undo the velcro and stretch it some more.

Aditionally i am going to free hang it like suggested and put blck velvet around it on the wall. (the wall is already dark dark red )

if you go with 80/20 or bosch aluminum tubing, you can just work the fabric into the grooves on the back side of the frame and keep it in place with the rubber spline usually used to keep the screens on screen doors in place. no need for velco or anything like that. just take care to apply proper tension when rolling the spline in place on each side. this is exactly what i plan to do.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

After stretching quite a few fabric screens with quite a few different fabrics ranging from very tough heavy canvas, thru lighter cloths like BOC into thin Mylar’s and rolled plastics. There are a few things that remain common in the method you need to use to end up wrinkle free. You need to have an even tension over the surface. The best method is to always start in the center of all 4 sides at the same time and work out in 8 directions moving around the screen. I have preferred a full wrap around the frame where the material rests on the front and goes over 2 corners and is attached to the back. The corners help hold the fabric and also spread out the point contacts in the back (in my case staples). The amount of tension a screen can exert is surprising and can quickly bow in the sides unless the frame is fairly stiff. The force won’t be much at first when only 4 points are attached but as you go out to the corners you have to pull the fabric tight as you go and the tension builds. If you start bowing the sides the fabric in the center will loosen. The bigger the panel the more the need for some inside cross bracing.

Very large IMAX screens are pulled from the outside with elastic cords like bungees. Some have done similar DIY home screens but it makes for a large area outside the screen to have to cover.

One of the reasons I used canvas was cotton shrinks when it dries.

One last tip on frame building. Try and design your frame with a tiny ridge all around the outside edge to hold the fabric away from touching the frame anyplace in the image. Those slight touches will show up in the image.

Bud

post #10 of 16 Old 11-17-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Velcro should be fine, if using enough of it. Seems you could sticky it to the BOC without sewing. If you later paint the BOC, it will weigh it down and require re-adjusting the Velcro.

You might want to consider a way to make the black velvet a border on the screen, instead of the wall. This would work and look better. Some have even made an adjustable border for various aspect ratios. For example, black velvet on various sized foam core (or styrofoam) panels that Velcro to the frame.

Quote:

post #11 of 16 Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

After doing further research i have realized I'm going to change the direction of my screen completely xD
It seems that it would be worth my money to invest in some sintra or other solid like substrate and drop the BOC idea completely!
I then will have a screen that will theoretically last forever and wont have to worry about stretching warping etc.
To me it seems like it would be worth the time and money!

As far as the frame goes:
My dad got some 2x2 aluminum square extrusion I'm going to use as the frame; thanks pops.

So the new plan is as follows:
1. Construct frame with aluminum extrusion
2. Find a good substrate (bigger than 4x8, preferably 5x10)
3. Mount the substrate to my frame
4. Build a frame with black velvet that could easily be removed in the future.
4. Use the screen as is until I can afford some good paint; most likely MaxxMudd.

Questions:
1. What options do I have for substrate that's bigger than 4x8, and
that I could use WITHOUT painting for a few months.
2. Whats the best way to mount my substrate to my aluminum frame?

Thanks again everyone! The people in this forum has been extremely knowledgeable, and helpful!
post #12 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:

After doing further research i have realized I'm going to change the direction of my screen completely xD
It seems that it would be worth my money to invest in some sintra or other solid like substrate and drop the BOC idea completely!
I then will have a screen that will theoretically last forever and wont have to worry about stretching warping etc.
To me it seems like it would be worth the time and money!

A wise and well considered choice.....mostly. Read on.

Quote:

As far as the frame goes:
My dad got some 2x2 aluminum square extrusion I'm going to use as the frame; thanks pops.

So the new plan is as follows:
1. Construct frame with aluminum extrusion

Pop had your best interest in mind for certain....but you gonna have issues trying to support the Sintra on such a narrow edge. Sintra IS a worthy choice mind you, but your heading down a path that will result in large areas of unsupported material that can...and will tend to bow in/out

The Extruded Aluminum supporting Frame? I'd suggest you fergitabowdit and don't cut anything up so you cannot return it.

Quote:

2. Find a good substrate (bigger than 4x8, preferably 5x10)

Well that should be easy.....the Sintra you want comes in 5' x 10' x 6mm thickness.(...you do NOT want the 3mm variety...) Post (or PM) you location and I'll locate a Plastic Supplier closest to you who can accommodate you needs at the lowest possible cost. That's always the best possible start.

Quote:

3. Mount the substrate to my frame

I could wax on about the issues you'll face...but why bother?

Instead....recoup the expense of the Aluminum and spend it instead on another sheet of 5 x 10 x "3mm" Sintra ( approx $50.00 )

So let's determine the size of your screen. The biggest possible size you can manage is 122" diagonal (107" x 60") So you have the sheet of 6mm Sintra cut to those dimensions. Then...you have the 3mm Sintra cut down into 4 - 15" x 113" strips. 2 of those strips will serve as the Top & Bottom Frame, with 3" protruding outside the Top and Top Corner/Side perimeters.

With 30" of the 60" height already accommodated on the sides, you can take one of the remaining 113" x 15" strips and cut it into 2 30" x 15" strips. Those will then be inset along the sides to fill in the space between the Top & Bottom Strips, and their protruding 3" extensions.

The 3mm Strips will be glued to the 6mm Sintra using 3M Super 77 Adhesive.
Let the assembly dry 24 hours. DO NOT rush it!

The 3" wide 3mm Borders serve a triple purpose.

1. They serve to stiffen the perimeter of the Sintra.

2. You can attach the Sintra to the wall using Sharp Point Truss Head Screws shot through the 3" Boarder.

3. It acts as both a Edge guide and attachment surface for the Trim (1/2" x 3.25" Velvet Wrapped MDF Baseboard) and such Trim can be attached with 1.25" Bright Finish nails that are "set" just below the Velvet Covering.

Quote:

4. Build a frame with black velvet that could easily be removed in the future.

Such small nails, while more than adequate to hold the Trim in place, can easily be pulled out of the underlying Sintra/Drywall.

Quote:

5. Use the screen as is until I can afford some good paint; most likely MaxxMudd.

If we can obtain for you a sheet of 6mm Sintra that is at least pristine on one side, that surface will suffice as far as being a reasonably good Screen surface in a temporary sense. Remove the Trim later and you can simply spray on top of it (Sintra) with consummate ease.

Quote:

Questions:
1. What options do I have for substrate that's bigger than 4x8, and
that I could use WITHOUT painting for a few months.

Uhhhhh..........3 guesses.

Quote:

2. Whats the best way to mount my substrate to my aluminum frame?

The smaller the Screen...and that means a less unsupported span of plastic...the less concern there would be as far as attaching the Sintra around the Perimeter. But 107" x 60" is not "small", and in a word, any 2" wide lateral or vertical "Interior" supports that you attempt to attach the Sintra to will almost assuredly manifest themselves as ridges visible on the "Screen surface" side.

Now that's not saying it can NOT work...what's being said is that a successful effort is at best problematical, and at worst, the ruination of the attempt.

Quote:

Thanks again everyone! The people in this forum has been extremely knowledgeable, and helpful!

And sometimes we can carry very sharp pins that tend to prick the balloons our fellow DIY'ers have floating about. But seldom is the case that we do not have another, more buoyant and brightly colored one waiting.

Why, we even have all the Hot Air you need to inflate it!

(Don't worry....we don't allow "Hindenburgs" on the DIY Screen Forum. )

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #13 of 16 Old 11-21-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Im at work right now so i dont have much time to reply, but thanks MM for the input!

Good thing I read this thread again because I was about to jump the gun on some 3mm sintra at a plastic place I found.
-They have it in 5x10 3mm but they dont carry it in 6mm =(
-3mm Just isn't strudy enough huh?

So that being said I find myself on the search for guess for 6mm 5x10 sintra!

-MM: Reffereing to your assistance in finding me sintra; I live near Titusville FL.

As always,
Thanks!
post #14 of 16 Old 11-21-2011, 04:05 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Quote:

Im at work right now so i dont have much time to reply, but thanks MM for the input!

Good thing I read this thread again because I was about to jump the gun on some 3mm sintra at a plastic place I found.
-They have it in 5x10 3mm but they dont carry it in 6mm =(
-3mm Just isn't strudy enough huh?

So that being said I find myself on the search for guess for 6mm 5x10 sintra!

-MM: Reffereing to your assistance in finding me sintra; I live near Titusville FL.

As always,
Thanks!

Piedmont Plastics
Daytona Beach
2175 Mason Ave.
Daytona Beach, FL 32117

Toll Free: 800-874-7512
Phone: 386-274-4627

Let me call them tomorrow to see about the lowest cost possible for you.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #15 of 16 Old 11-26-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update as to how my mancave is comming along:
Got the piece of sintra im going to use for my screen, and the mdf im going to use as a border.
Just waiting on my black velvet to come in to wrap the border with!

I will be posting many pictures on how to contruction went and the finished product as soon as I get my velvet
post #16 of 16 Old 11-26-2011, 04:40 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

cool beans

To quote James T. Kirk;

Sponsored Links
Advertisement