New WA DW Laminate screen hot spot - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-23-2011, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a nice new epson 3010, and now a nice new designer white laminate screen (after reading all the praise in this forum)

Sadly though, I am getting definite hot spot. Are there any quick fixes I can try? Is the epson 3010 just too bright for this screen? I bought the laminate so I wouldn't have to mess with painting, so if that is the only fix, I might just go back to BOC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Yeah, sometimes the WA DW hotspots. I think the quality control on labeling the finish is bad. You probably got the wrong finish through no fault of yours.

That said, the 3010 is a true light cannon. 923 lumens in Best mode, ECO lamp. 1400 in normal lamp. So no, you don't need--or want--a white screen. I'm not sure what size you're putting together, but WA DW is around 1.25 gain, that's way more than what you want. You should be looking at a gray screen, around .8 gain. You'll be much happier.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-11-2011, 03:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Actually, it's all about the finish more than the gain.

WA-DW is a non-permeable material whose surface just bounces back light. There is no absorption whatsoever.

I disagree about the 3010 needing a .8 gain surface. Certainly it can handle one....no doubts there, but dulling out an image intentionally is a exercise in waste.

Then there is the lessening of light output while in 3D mode. Once you've gone with a sub-1.0 gain surface, there is no restoring the reflectivity back. Dull 3D is not good 3D

entakesflight, seems obvious that someone referred you to the DIY Forum about WA-DW, and "all that praise" about it was all that you read about. Well I'm betting that you did not read about many...if any 3010 owners, or anyone else for that matter, who had PJs over 1600 lumens and opted to go with WA-DW. That was an application well suited for 1200 lumen and under PJs as being a great "Hang-n-Shoot" no paint option.

It still is. under those circumstances.

You have only two viable choices.

1. Get a Neutral Density Filter to stop down the light output of the 3010. That's a well know and simple fix that might be just the ticket to ride on.

2. Paint over that most excellent Substrate with a 1.2-1.4 gain Gray. This is the BEST solution, as the 3010 still falls short as far as having exceptional Contrast (...It's brightness is a contributing factor in that...) and a reflective Gray (Flat sheen'ed) will boost the perception of having much better Contrast.

That is the primary reasoning behind Kirnak's suggestion...and it's entirely valid. Where we differ is that I see no sense in correcting a problem by robbing Peter to pay Paul. The ND Filter can be had in several values, so your not restricted to just accepting a gross reduction in brightness like a ,8 gain surface would offer.

I'm truly sorry you did not read more thoroughly about all the other alternatives we offer here on DIY Screens before jumping onto the WA-DW train. I will leave you with this however. If you determine you want maximum performance and image quality, we do have some very viable solutions waiting that can coat that WA-DW surface and get you to exactly where you want to be.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 5 Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
First off, Entakesflight: listen to Mississippi Man. He is the master and I just the apprentice.

That said, I am a bit confused MM. If Entakesflight screen is as big a 16:9 screen as you can make with WA DW, then He's looking at around 20ftL, given a hypothetical 1.0 gain screen. (in ECO mode.) It seems like this would be perfect for something like Silver Fire 4.0 or 5.0... My guess was those must be in the neighborhood of .8 gain? Given that assumption, that would leave him with about 16 ftL--near perfect.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Well, he did say he wanted a quick fix, and a new screen....even painted...might send him into distress-mode. Hence the ND Filter.

The Standard SF v2.5 4.0 is approx. 1.2 gain. We have the5.0 hovering at 1.0.

Reformulated to be high gain Mixes, those gain figures for the darker SF mixes can jump up to 1.6 & 1.4 respectfully, but along with that jump comes a higher degree of "Granularity" and loss of viewing cone, and those things are something I avoid unless I'm doing a whopper Screen that is elevated and viewing distance is restricted to no less than 14 feet.

One last item....I always design my screens to accommodate Low Lamp settings (ergo the mid-level SF surfaces) as I feel this encourages better Black Levels and less need to compensate with an all the darker surface to achieve such.

The dark Guys I reserve for serious ambient light issues. Then, I turn 'em loose!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page