Back in Black Theater 2.0 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 11-26-2011, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally got my theater up and running close to ten years ago, but I have always had things I never liked about it... The walls would rumble, the screen was never finished and I never got carpet installed that fit the room.

I recently bought my third projector, this time I decided to get a higher end projector compared to my prior ones before. I purchased the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D, wow what a difference over my Optima HD70 720p.

MY screen wall has always just been painted sheetrock. But for some stupid reason I mounted my nice Paradigm ref speakers in wall. Well I recently took them out and wow what a diff in sound...So I was left with three gaping holes in the wall... So I decided to add a second layer of sheetrock green glued to help with the sound...Keeping the sound in the room is not a primary concern as I live alone I just was tired of the rattle and hum..

The new sheetrock is up and I have maybe one final sanding and I will be painting...I want to go big as possible, this is a dedicated theater room right. The walls are covered in black automotive carpet lol... And the ceiling is a drop ceiling painted black and covered in yard fabric, really love the look it has...

The screen wall is 7'2" high and 14'8" wide, since I have 100% control over the light. And bigger is better and I am doing a DIY painted screen should I look at max mud or SF as my top coat?

I have read thru the other posts on this forum and can't seem to find someone with a similar situation, which is why I am asking for help here...

I also purchased the Graco sprayer recommended in one of the threads here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-26-2011, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e8395...F2EBCEFDF5!683
post #3 of 33 Old 11-26-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 206
With the 7000 to work with, I suggest you employ it's Lens Memory "CHI" function and go "scope" @ 134" x 56" (12' 1" diagonal <145">)

Two advantages being:

1. Since your Screen wall is only 7'-2" high (86") you can place the image so it's bottom edge is 20" off the ground leaving a usable 10" between the Screen top and the Ceiling.

2. Your 16x9" image would still be 110" diagonal.

You'll need to use RS-MaxxMudd LL for your Paint.
Be extra carefull to float that center Drywall joint out at least 12" above / below centerline so you will not chance having a visible "Stripe" across the screen once the high contrast / high gain RS-MM-LL goes up.

Spray on your primer...3 coats minimum.

Get'er dun.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 33 Old 11-26-2011, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you this is exactly the information I was looking for..

I bought this projector to use the CIH feature of the auto lens adjust... Was not sure of the size I was going with yet..

A few questions if you don't mind.

I have a gallon of the Bulls Eye primer.. Will I have to do anything to the primer before I spray besides mixing it well...

Ive never sprayed before so I figured I was going to get a test piece going in the garage before hand.. Any tips on its use would be most appreciated..

Ill post pics as I make progress.. Today I was finishing up outside wall to the theater running elec and such..

Dan
post #5 of 33 Old 11-27-2011, 04:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arialis View Post

Thank you this is exactly the information I was looking for..

I bought this projector to use the CIH feature of the auto lens adjust... Was not sure of the size I was going with yet..

A few questions if you don't mind.

I have a gallon of the Bulls Eye primer.. Will I have to do anything to the primer before I spray besides mixing it well...

The Bulls Eye come fairly thin, but you will probably want to thin it further to the amount of 20% Water added to actual Primer volume.

Pay particular attention to the drywall finished areas. Be sure any areas floated out from a seam or over a Screw are extended well out and feather sanded smooth. Look closely for any scratches or Pin Holes, as these will transfer through even 3-4 coats of primer and 3-4 coats of finish pains. 6-8 coats may seem thick...but in reality the HVLP Gun is laying all that paint down in a overall thickness of "less than" 4-5 microns

Quote:

Ive never sprayed before so I figured I was going to get a test piece going in the garage before hand.. Any tips on its use would be most appreciated..

Watch my videos.
Essentially, practice does indeed make perfect.
You should maintain a distance of at least 14" -16", and the paint should be flowing freely...no sputtering. At that distance the Fan pattern should be approx 12" tall. Keeping your hand level and straight plumb to the surface is important...as is maintaining a consistent speed across the surface.

1st tip...always try to start at least 4" outside your desired screen area, and run past the other end the same amount before dropping the Gun about 4" and starting back. Do this in as complete a motion as possible.

It is best to apply a Duster coat (or two) initially when either priming or applying the finish paint.

A "Duster" means the gun is traveling at 3' sec across the surface (normal walking speed) Practice a sideways shuffle, and hold the Hose behind and to the side with your arm extended out a bit. You don't want to step on the air supply hose while painting.

A Normal coat is done at 1/2 the speed of a Duster.

Do not stop in the middle of a Row. Do not attempt to patch any weak area unless you have mastered the art of feathering in. That is to say, holding the Gun sideways to the surface then turning on (trigger) and rotating you hand so the paint gradually merges onto the area at it's edge and you then rotate back off at the other edge.

Practice....absolutely. Applying the Primer is a safe method to employ such practicing...and start out dusting...evem if it seems to go slowly.

Quote:

Ill post pics as I make progress.. Today I was finishing up outside wall to the theater running elec and such..

Dan

Good luck!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #6 of 33 Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Hi MississippiMan, have another question for you, Id like to say the last but that prolly is'nt going to happen lol

I am really bad at sheetrock.. In that I over sand, I have what would be called fuzzies on the paper section.. I am told after first coat of primar which I am going to go do now to just give it a light sanding, would this be correct.

Also for the mix, how many batches do you think I will need for the size of my projector?

I was lucky to find all the material here or close enough so that I could drive and pick it up.

Thank you again for all your help..

Dan
post #7 of 33 Old 12-04-2011, 02:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi MississippiMan, have another question for you, Id like to say the last but that prolly is'nt going to happen lol

I am really bad at sheetrock.. In that I over sand, I have what would be called fuzzies on the paper section.. I am told after first coat of primar which I am going to go do now to just give it a light sanding, would this be correct.

Kinda sorta, only I advise doing that you sand the 1st re-primer coat "EXTREMELY" light and repeat the correction 2x, and when you re-prime the second time, don't sand at all unless needed.

Quote:

Also for the mix, how many batches do you think I will need for the size of my projector?

When spraying, and if you don't need to re-do or make any corrections, 1 batch will be just enough so that you will have 4-6 ounces left over for future touch ups if ever needed. But it could be close, so if you can manage it, make it a 2x Batch. Doing that will allow you some leeway to practice with the actual Finish paint on a spare sheet of something, and that is never a bad thing.

Quote:

I was lucky to find all the material here or close enough so that I could drive and pick it up.

Thank you again for all your help..

Dan

That is fortunate. Good luck...and remember, if any questions or concerns about application or anything else arise, post up and ask about them first...squirt second.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #8 of 33 Old 12-04-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks MM,

I actually decided my best option at this point was to go all out and just skim coat the entire wall.. Drywall is pretty smooth but its not perfect by any means.....

Should only push me back a day or so... Ive just sanded and did the little touch up needed. Should be able to get the Primer on right after lunch...
post #9 of 33 Old 12-05-2011, 02:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Lunchtime is over.....back to work. Where's that update?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #10 of 33 Old 12-05-2011, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

LOl ive added a few new pics...

I did another coat of primer and than found 2 more blemishes, touched them up.

One thing I am having a heck of a time in actually seeing what I am painting..Maybe it is just the lights I am using or to much white... But I dont wanna overdue it, and use to much spray. So I am hoping enough duster coats will get it all done lol
post #11 of 33 Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

LOl ive added a few new pics...

I did another coat of primer and than found 2 more blemishes, touched them up.

One thing I am having a heck of a time in actually seeing what I am painting..Maybe it is just the lights I am using or to much white... But I dont wanna overdue it, and use to much spray. So I am hoping enough duster coats will get it all done lol

Suspend a light directly above the screen...or above and to the side. The light coming from above and down across the screen surface will make any bumps or depressions cast shadows you can see when you look sideways across the surface.

When you repair a spot, spray Primer first on that spot alone (...feather it in with a sweeping motion that starts with the Gun sideways to the surface and sweeps inward with a turn of the wrist to hit the spot, and then rotates back away and out...)

You can slow down just a wee bit after the first dusters to lay down a small extra amount of Primer, but maintain the needed distance and overlap to prevent horizontal striping

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #12 of 33 Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanx will do.. Ill move the shop light I have on the side about my head... Hopefully it will help me see what is actually going on the wall.

And ill hit the repaired spots real fast,, off to do another coat
post #13 of 33 Old 12-05-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanx will do.. Ill move the shop light I have on the side about my head... Hopefully it will help me see what is actually going on the wall.

And ill hit the repaired spots real fast,, off to do another coat

The object being to try to equalize the surface amount of Primer and reduce any transition points between previously painted areas and the newly primed ones.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #14 of 33 Old 12-06-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

OK primer coat complete and happy with the turn out.
I have enough material for 1.6 size of original list.

What am I actually measuring with, fluid oz or weight oz.

Suggestions much appreciated..
post #15 of 33 Old 12-06-2011, 11:55 AM

I have the same problem with the lighting and have found that as MM stated, placing the lights so they are almost shining parallel with the surface does help. I have not tried mounting above, so I think think will look into that as I am ready to start spraying my LL tonight. Even with the lighting to the side or below, I still feel like white on white just looks white, and it can be hard to tell where you just sprayed vs where you are going. I found that I had to focus heavily on just moving my arm down a little bit and keeping it there as I went across. I just had to trust that as long as I maintained arm position, speed, and distance, that I should be good. When I sprayed my last few coats of primer, I payed less attention to what I was seeing and just made sure I maintained position and speed. That seemed to work really well. When I have tried to get coverage "visually", I would lean on the side of getting too much paint applied.
post #16 of 33 Old 12-06-2011, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsnowh2o View Post

I have the same problem with the lighting and have found that as MM stated, placing the lights so they are almost shining parallel with the surface does help. I have not tried mounting above, so I think think will look into that as I am ready to start spraying my LL tonight. Even with the lighting to the side or below, I still feel like white on white just looks white, and it can be hard to tell where you just sprayed vs where you are going. I found that I had to focus heavily on just moving my arm down a little bit and keeping it there as I went across. I just had to trust that as long as I maintained arm position, speed, and distance, that I should be good. When I sprayed my last few coats of primer, I payed less attention to what I was seeing and just made sure I maintained position and speed. That seemed to work really well. When I have tried to get coverage "visually", I would lean on the side of getting too much paint applied.

Thanx mud good advice,, How did you measure your items for the LL?
post #17 of 33 Old 12-06-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Arialis;

with RSM and LL... use your basic kitchen measuring cups. it does not have to be perfect and exactly like SF does.
post #18 of 33 Old 12-06-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

Arialis;

with RSM and LL... use your basic kitchen measuring cups. it does not have to be perfect and exactly like SF does.

Thanx Maxx, That is what I had thought then friend at work starting getting me thinking and well you know where that leads lol..

Much appreciated
post #19 of 33 Old 12-06-2011, 06:34 PM

Yeah, I just used a 16 oz. measuring cup that has ounces on it. I hope to start spraying tonight but I cannot find the spraying gun. Funny how things disappear when you take a break for a week and clean up the room in the meantime!
post #20 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsnowh2o View Post

Yeah, I just used a 16 oz. measuring cup that has ounces on it. I hope to start spraying tonight but I cannot find the spraying gun. Funny how things disappear when you take a break for a week and clean up the room in the meantime!

I know that is not funny, while I was doing the primer I had cleaned the gun between coats ( we do need to do this yes) and I had all parts on my countertop.. Went shopping and got package from UPS, unboxed package and put groceries away, tossed box into the trash... Later went to do another coat and i was missing one of parts, I looked in the trash and everywhere else.... Gave up opened the fridge to get something to drink and there sitting on the eggs was the missing part lol..
post #21 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

l o l

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #22 of 33 Old 12-08-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

OK paint mixed no problems, got two coats on last nite, seems to be going well.

Hey mm do you recommend cleaning the gun between each coat. And since its only dust coats about how long should I be waiting to spray again.

I'm in semi crunch time, carpet installers coming next week, tons to do, why oh why did I tear it apart lol
post #23 of 33 Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

OK paint mixed no problems, got two coats on last nite, seems to be going well.

Hey mm do you recommend cleaning the gun between each coat. And since its only dust coats about how long should I be waiting to spray again.

I'm in semi crunch time, carpet installers coming next week, tons to do, why oh why did I tear it apart lol

If a Duster can dry within 15-20 minutes, you can wait. Otherwise, cleaning the Gun between each coat is about a 3-4 minute affair, and assures one of keeping the thing free of any restrictive build-up.-

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #24 of 33 Old 12-08-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
MM, check your email.
post #25 of 33 Old 12-08-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I ran into a problem on the 8th and final coat.. As I was going back to inspect my work, I noticed one big ole paint blob in the middle of the screen, I guess the gun did sputter, any suggestions for getting rid of it? I highly doubt anyone will see it from the seated position, but Ill know its there and it will always bug me..
post #26 of 33 Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

hang on....check pm

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #27 of 33 Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

hang on....check pm

Actually I just checked it, and since drying I had a hard time in finding it....Its not even a bubble anymore so I think im just going to leave it as it is..

I do appreciate the help and offer MM..
post #28 of 33 Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Actually I just checked it, and since drying I had a hard time in finding it....Its not even a bubble anymore so I think im just going to leave it as it is..

I do appreciate the help and offer MM..

Glad it shrank as it dried. You had me worried I migh not hear from you before it dried completely.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #29 of 33 Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

We'll....how is that "as is" Screen of yours?

Inquiring minds want to know more......

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #30 of 33 Old 12-12-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry been sick not feeling all that great.. I think it turned out great. I added pics to my link up above.. I fired up the projector on a table to test it out.. Looks great from what I have seen so far...

Carpet is getting installed Thursday, so I have some work to get done before than....Should start putting the ceiling back in Thursday nite and have projector hung by Friday,

Will add more pics to me link as I progress..

Thanx again so much....

It was pretty easy, just need to get a hang of what is coming out of the gun and keep it light.. You can always add more coats, but hard to get rid of the runs
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page