Silver Fire or Black Diamond - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK my RPTV finally died. My wife said I can get a PJ if it comes in comparable to a new tv. I can get a RS45 at a really good price. Has anyone compared a Black Diamond screen to the Silver Fire. I'm looking at around 110"-120" screen. I might go scope. I still have to figure if zooming is any good for that. It will be a good year before I can get an anamorphic lens. The PJ is going in the living room with windows in the corner. I can do blinds and a black out curtain but will have ambient light from the front doors and windows from a connecting room. The throw distance is 17.5 feet
Thanks for your input
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Mikey15,

While your situation as described certainly does not call for the need or expense involved with a BD Screen, it can benefit from a DIY application that can match or exceed the performance specs of a BD screen.

Screen size, throw distance, and projector choice all come into play in deciding which of the advanced DIY Screen formulas will serve you in best stead.

Let me/us all know your price point for a PJ as the selection of such should center around a PJ that will accommodate your desire for a future "Morph-Scope" system, while allowing for a Zoom option to fill a screen made in that format.

Bear in mind that the ability to perform well under ambient light conditions...while desirable, is not the sole criteria for judgement. Having a screen that does not shift colors, nor present any real degree of "Graininess" while doing so (...because it also can maintain Gain...) is what you really want to possess. In both those respects the BD screens fall short. Silver Fire can however be made to be exactly what you need for any given situation.

Truthfully speaking, the BD screens are not the benchmark for us to determine what the SF applications need to be equal to. They never were. If any Mfg Screen fits that job description it's the offerings from DNP (Supernova) We have always chosen the best "Ambient Light-oriented" Mfg Screens to attempt to duplicate, and the DNPs are it.

Less expensive overall than the BD offerings, they still cost a bundle though, and there is that darn restriction as to the sizes available. But here are the two chief reasons we choose to compare SF to DNP. First, the DNP screens are ISF rated for Color accuracy (only a relative few Mfg Screens quality...) and it does what it does "Ambient & Gain-wise" without introducing "speck-u-larity" issues. (ie: graininess)

So 'dems der what we wanna be like. And whats you wanna have. And if it takes a bit ow sweat equity and a very modest expense to achieve such, well ya gotta be leave itsa gol'durn worth it.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 9 Old 12-01-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Truthfully speaking, the BD screens are not the benchmark for us to determine what the SF applications need to be equal to. They never were. If any Mfg Screen fits that job description it's the offerings from DNP (Supernova) We have always chosen the best "Ambient Light-oriented" Mfg Screens to attempt to duplicate, and the DNPs are it.

Has Silver Fire been ISF rated for Color accuracy?

If so can you link us to the data for both screens (Silver Fire and DNP)?

Bud

post #4 of 9 Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I can get the PJ in my post for $2500. I gutted my kitchen myself so I know and enjoy sweat equity. I'm happy to hear the SF was modeled against a proven screen. Most of my crucial viewing will be at night but this will be our main TV. So I want to be able to watch a football game. I am willing to close the blinds but some light will still spill in. This will also be my first PJ. I have a sloped ceiling will that hurt or help. I will try to post pics of the room tonight. I hope the sprayer is stivailable. I have been lurking in the SF thread. PJ will be mounted 17.5 feet away on an 8ft ceiling from there the screen wall slopes up from 8.5 ft to 16 ft. It opens to the whole house.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-01-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post

Has “Silver Fire” been “ ISF rated for Color accuracy”?

No...what I said was that DNP's product was, and that we use it as the benchmark for our own comparative efforts. That seemed pretty clearly stated....?

What is obvious to many is that after painting a SF Screen, extremely little calibration is required, and that often a end user leaves things "as is". Of course much also has to do with the PJ used and it's own ability to present as color correct an image out of the box as possible.

You yourself know that with any neutral Gray Screen surface, calibration involve more use of Gamma than adjusting the Color Drives. Things used to be so simple...and close to home when using mid-level priced DLPs, that I eschewed the need for Calibration. But as Grays got darker, to at least some small extent things changed.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #6 of 9 Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics of the room in question. The window next to the tv will be walled in the screen will then be next to the inner window. The rest of the pics show surrounding rooms. The PJ will be mounted to the ceiling in the room with the foosball table.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #7 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 03:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

If you get a RS45, then mount it as close as possible. Don't ignore that advise.

Better still, select a brighter PJ that comes with support for "Lens Memory" 2.35:1. JVC is coming out with such a unit, but it's pricey, and still not all that bright.

Weigh your options carefully in all this, and don't let a supposed bargain at one point force you to spend much more at another.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #8 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

What are your PJ suggestions sub $4500
I think I'm leaning towards 16:9 because I watch more of that content. I would sacrifice too much of that content in size on a 2:35 screen
post #9 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey15 View Post

What are your PJ suggestions sub $4500
I think I'm leaning towards 16:9 because I watch more of that content. I would sacrifice too much of that content in size on a 2:35 screen

Get a Epson 5010.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page