diy vs. store bought? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking of building a screen but I want to know if it's worth it. Can you really get a good enough quality image to rival a store bought screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-01-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 18
It's possible to be very happy with a DIY screen, there are some excellent examples here of very high quality results attained by forum members. It really depends on how handy you are and your attention to detail, and how much time you're willing to spend. Even then, screens are probably one of the easiest DIY theater projects to do well, and there's a lot of great info here to point you in the right direction. I used the info here to build a DIY screen for a buddy of mine who was on a budget, and we were able to create a very professional looking screen that offered an outstanding picture for only a couple hundred dollars.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #3 of 39 Old 12-01-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
HogPilot,

Thank you for the great DIY endorsement.

Your check is in the Mail.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 39 Old 12-01-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

HogPilot,

Thank you for the great DIY endorsement.

Your check is in the Mail.

Gotta get paid somehow!

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #5 of 39 Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 162
The absolute best are store-bought, IMO, but you can get great results DIY, and spend a lot less money.
post #6 of 39 Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

.......I'm a little biased, but over the last 8 years, the express purpose behind the majority of advanced DIY Screen applications was to have them equal or surpass their Mfg counterparts.

Too whit we have "Reference White" Screens that are dead ringers and performance equals for Stewart ST 130s. We have .80 Gain Neutral Grays out the Kazoo. DIY Acoustically Transparent Screens that can outperform a Mfg. one costing a lot more...say 10x more. Rear Projection Screens. Ultra High Gain Screens. Even Exotic Screens.

A prime example would be the good nature'd challenge thrown down to the DIY Community in 2004 to try to duplicate the then current Sony Black Screen technology. Because that Tech depended on Layered Films, it was assumed it would be impossible.

A friendly nudge in the Rib, followed by a wink.

Well, what then became a focus was not to do it with expensive Films, but with something we already knew a lot about. Paint.

And we accomplished that in an effort that continues today, always refining and taking it a step further. So many steps that we can sate that under almost any / every circumstance, DIY apps like Silver Fire and RS-MaxxMudd can stand toe to toe with virtually any Exotic Ambient Light Screen....even tread heavily on some of those Toes.

bassage, that 'ol Flyin' Pig said it true. If you can use your skill set, and follow specific directions as provided, even the most advanced DIY Screens can be achieved, and results obtained that will astound you and everyone who sees your handiwork.

But don't take my word for it.....I'm biased. Perhaps a few other recent and past Members with all manner and varieties of Screens will venture their own stories of how well they liked the end results.

Whatever you decide you want bassage, I'm betting we can get you something that will more than satisfy that desire.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #7 of 39 Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

How difficult would it be to make a screen somewhere around 52" - 60" high that is either 2.35:1, 2.4:1, or 2.37:1. Still can't decide on those 3 sizes, any advice?

I'm no professional carpenter with a garage full of tools, but I can follow instructions if they don't rely on expensive equipment that I don't have. How expensive would it be to make this? If it will be several hundred dollars, I might as well just buy one, but if I can save a ton of money, I would definitely consider doing it myself. I don't need the absolute best screen in the world, but I don't want junk. Basically, I just want the picture to look good on the screen.
post #8 of 39 Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassage View Post

How difficult would it be to make a screen somewhere around 52" - 60" high that is either 2.35:1, 2.4:1, or 2.37:1. Still can't decide on those 3 sizes, any advice?

I'm no professional carpenter with a garage full of tools, but I can follow instructions if they don't rely on expensive equipment that I don't have. How expensive would it be to make this? If it will be several hundred dollars, I might as well just buy one, but if I can save a ton of money, I would definitely consider doing it myself. I don't need the absolute best screen in the world, but I don't want junk. Basically, I just want the picture to look good on the screen.

The absolute best screens will cost you a fortune.

An exceptional DIY screen won't.
post #9 of 39 Old 12-02-2011, 04:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well consider this;

If you stick to having a 130" diagonal 2.35:1 Screen (...the most commonly used, advisable format...), that represents a 51" x 120" surface area, then staying within the parameters of 60" x 120" allows you to use Sintra, a White "Expanded Hard Foam" material 6 MM thick. Average cost: $110.00

Not too much involved in getting that....the Jobber you buy it from will cut it to size for you at N/C. If cut to 55" x 120", the extra 2" across the Top & Bottom can serve to allow you to simply screw the material onto the wall using a minimum of Drywall screws within that 2" area. The cut-off material can be ripped off 2.5" at a time to achieve 55" height, then each 2.5" piece can be cut to 55" long and placed (screwed) at each side, completing a edge-ring of material that lies outside the 55" x 120" screen surface. More on this below.

Now you want to but a Electric HVLP Gun. The best for less is this critter:
http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html $49.00 + Freight

Paint? For a Reference quality White Screen, a Gallon of Sherwin-Williams Pro Classic Smooth Enamel Satin Finish in "Extra White" $49.00 Gal.

If Ambient Light Tolerance is desired, the different additional paints needed will increase the cost of the paint equation by $20.00

Trim? Using 1/2" x 3.25" Simple MDF Baseboard Trim (avg. $ 00.50 ft @ Home Depot ) you'd need 32' $16.00

Black Velvet to wrap the Trim with comes from:
http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/P...Velvet/681/264
.....@ $7.50 yd. You'll need 4 yards. = $30.00

You wrap the Velvet around the Trim, stapling it in place, and the Trim is laid over the 2" and 2.5" areas around the Screen area and nailed into place using 1.5" Finish nails that are set below the Velvet using a Nail Punch $3.00

130" diagonal "Mfg" Stewart Studio Tek 130 Reference White 2.35:1 Screen = $1800.00 +

130" diagonal DIY Reference White 2.35:1 Screen = $260.00
Savings: $1540.00

130" diagonal "Mfg" Black Diamond 2.35:1 "Ambient Light" Screen = $3900.00+

130" diagonal DIY Silver Fire 2.35:1 "Ambient Light" Screen = $280.00
Savings: $3620.00

Larger Screen sizes can be accommodated with other special materials, Frame construction, or simply using an existing wall surface if available.

DIY quality, while always subject to the effort and ability of the DIY'er, has been a known quality for several years, as evidenced by the thousands of DIY'ers who have posted their experiences and results.

There is all the helpful advice and assistance one needs to get walked through virtually any level of DIY Screen making...one only needs to avail oneself of it.

Really...for anyone who wants exceptional image quality at a cost so far below Mfg Screen prices is absolutely silly, it's a "No Brain-er" decision.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #10 of 39 Old 12-02-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

So why would I need the "ambient light" screen? Will I need that if my walls and ceiling are too light?

I saw some instructions here http://www.carlofet.com/build-your-own-projector-screen for a screen that looks very easy to build, would it be decent quality?
post #11 of 39 Old 12-02-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

I was giving you choices as relates to comparison.

However, dependent of the performance of a PJ's Contrast, a Screen that can deepen perceived Black Levels while maintaining vibrant colors and bright whites can really give image quality a boost.

The Multi-purpose aspect of the Silver Fire Screens was always a great bonus. Superb image in Controlled lighting that always benefits a Digital PJs performance,

A White Reference Screen is a perfectly viable choice for a truly well designed Theater equipped with a Projector that has "exceptional Native Contrast".....but it will really suffer if ever the lights must come up past 15%. And....the Black levels produced will never be anything but what the PJ is capable of presenting. .

A Ambient Light Screen like Silver Fire offers a broader spectrum of use. Don't think for a moment otherwise that the realization by a few Companies that delivering a better image in normal lighting conditions wouldn't be a big plus. Ta Da.....Silver Star...Black Diamond,,,DNP Supernova. The ultra expensive Heavy Hitters.

You do want a high performance screen,,,be it White or Gray. Sorry, but Carlofet isn't going to be by itself what your hoping to find.Yes, done right, one certainly would be "decent". But Black Out Cloth Screens have been around for years now, and they have always been....well, decent.

I'm board already. Stop me if you really just want "decent" instead of Better.

Besides, despite building a DIY Frame, the material is being advertized and sold as "Screen" material, and on this Forum, we don't use any "product" specifically intended to make up the screen surface. We don't need to as we can always offer something decidedly better.

Anyway, we know precious little about your plans. What PJ, Throw Distance. Screen size desired...... Screen Wall dimensions. First Theater?

It all allows for more discriminative responses. This Thread started of as replies to a question as to DIY Screen validity in comparison to Mfg.

If you want value and exceptional performance, the consider what we offer because we advise....not sell, and the boundaries of choice are far more broad.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #12 of 39 Old 12-03-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

So why would I need the "ambient light" screen? Will I need that if my walls and ceiling are too light?

I saw some instructions here http://www.carlofet.com/build-your-own-projector-screen for a screen that looks very easy to build, would it be decent quality?

I built a 142" screen using carl's boc material and MaxxMudd-LL spray paint two years ago, and it's the best investment I ever made. I've had no less than 4 commerical screens, including Dalite High Power and Draper high gain. The DIY walks all over those. I'm about to update to the new MaxxMudd formulation for a little for gain for my HD3300 3D projector, which already looks good, but I want "great", and I expect to get it..Listen to these experts here, they will lead you to something you can't buy--a sense of true satisfaction that you did it yourself and it's better than anything you can buy for the price and then some...by the way, that frame that carlofet describes is pretty good and easy to make using BOC material...
post #13 of 39 Old 12-04-2011, 02:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

I'm going to go broke paying for all these excellent Testimonials........

threed123 makes the point clear; if for some reason you do opt to construct a BOC Screen, then painting it with a high performance coating is needed to lift it up out of mundane performance levels and up into the ranks of over-achieving Screens.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #14 of 39 Old 12-04-2011, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help here, I guess I should explain my situation a little.

I don't have a projector yet and this will be my first time using one. This is not something I will be doing tomorrow, but hopefully within the next few months. Right now I'm just basically doing research. Learning about projectors and trying to narrow down my selection. I'm working on my room layout to see where I can put everything. I don't know much of anything about screen materials, so I'm still learning about that. Just trying to decide between buying and building, and pricing things out.

I have a few things decided, or almost decided.

I want a 2.35:1 screen that is around 50"-60" tall. It fits my wall well, and I will be sitting about 19 feet from the screen. I don't watch normal television much at all, don't have cable. I watch zero sports. I use Netflix for streaming, and I watch a lot of Blu Rays and Play xbox and playstation. Most of my use will be at night, and will be as dark as I want it to be, but I do want the ability to watch during the day. The room won't be extremely bright, but bright enough that it doesn't look like night time. Again, night time viewing is the most important, I just don't want daytime watching to be impossible.

As for projectors, the important things to me are good black levels, awesome picture at night, and decent brightness for watching in a medium light room . I also want it as quiet as possible. I realize that all projectors have fan noise, I just don't want something ridiculously loud. Also lens shift is a must, and it must be under $2000, closer to $1500 would be nice.

I have two projectors that I will probably choose from after doing some research. The Epson 8700ub and the Panasonic Ae4000. I'm leaning toward the Panasonic because of the powered zoom and lens memory. Lens memory will be important because of the 2.35:1 screen and zooming in and out between 2.35 and 16:9 movies.

I was planning on putting the PJ on a shelf above the couch 19 feet away from the screen, but many people on this forum think that's a bad idea because I'll lose too much brightness. I would really like to do this, but if I have to, I can mount it on the ceiling about 12 feet away.

That's basically where I'm at right now. If I end up building my own screen, this is definitely the place where I'll come to ask for help, since people here really know what they're talking about.

Just wondering, Mississippi Man, if you or any others have a website for screen building with examples and maybe instructions that I could look at?
post #15 of 39 Old 12-05-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Of the two PJs your considering, only the Epson is anywhere close to being bright enough...and for the whopper 60" high 2.35:1 screen your wanting, it's still a wee bit anemic. (BTW...16' 6" is the "minimum" throw distance for that size and you don't want to go back any further...) At that point you'd get 22 fls with a new bulb, but later when your down at 50% brightness that would only be 11 fls and that won't be very satisfying.

At 50" high things start to balance out a bit better. At a 14' 2" throw and a 1.2 Gain Silver Fire, your Foot Lambert level would be 31 fl and that is a level we can cook at.

The Epson is really quiet. Blacks dwell down in the Cellar. And it has a very large degree of Vertical Lens Shift...about the most in the Industry. Just try to center the Lens on the Screen as much as possible as the use of too much Horizontal Shift can limit the amount of vertical shift.

You can visit my AVS Home Page to get the link to my Website. I cannot post it on open Forum because of my business and not being a AVS advertiser. I'm pretty careful about following the Forum's rules about such things...more so than most. Evil Entities lie in wait just hoping I might do such a dastardly act. I say; "Let 'em wait."

That just might be changing soon though.....

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #16 of 39 Old 12-05-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

So, you would pick the epson over the Ae4000? I really like that powered zoom and lens memory, especially if I have to ceiling mount, but if the picture is drastically different, I guess I would choose the epson. I would just hate to climb up there and zoom in and out manually between 2.35 and 16:9 movies. Maybe there is another PJ that has everything I want?

About the screen size, I don't really know what size I need, but I'm sitting 19 feet away from the screen so 50" high and 120" wide doesn't seem so big from that distance. Well, at least in my mind. When I get a PJ, I will watch it on the wall for a while and experiment with sizes before I really pick a screen size. I might be able to go smaller. If I want the PJ any closer than 19 feet, I will have to ceiling mount it, which creates another problem. I have a ceiling fan in the middle of the room. I know I can get a mount that will let the PJ hang down low, but if I go lower than the fan, it will look bad. I'm hoping that I can place it at about the same level as the fan and use lens shift to drop the picture. I have no experience with this, so maybe that won't work.
post #17 of 39 Old 12-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
The 8350 has around 460 lumens in best mode at mid zoom. with a 60" high 2.35 screen that's less than 8ftL. With a brand new bulb. As the bulb ages, it's going to get dimmer. So you're going to have to use Living Room or Dynamic. (1.0 gain screen)

If you went with the Epson 3010, you'd have over 1400 lumens in best mode. With that same 1.0 gain screen you're up to almost 24 ftL. Almost 16 ftL in ECO. Hmmmm.... No lens shift, but since you're building you can get around that. Oh BTW, seriously, get rid of the fan.
post #18 of 39 Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

The 8350 has around 460 lumens in best mode at mid zoom. with a 60" high 2.35 screen that's less than 8ftL. With a brand new bulb. As the bulb ages, it's going to get dimmer. So you're going to have to use Living Room or Dynamic. (1.0 gain screen)

If you went with the Epson 3010, you'd have over 1400 lumens in best mode. With that same 1.0 gain screen you're up to almost 24 ftL. Almost 16 ftL in ECO. Hmmmm.... No lens shift, but since you're building you can get around that. Oh BTW, seriously, get rid of the fan.

I was looking at the Epson 8700ub, not the 8350. Oh, and I should mention that I don't care about 3D. I would never pay extra for a PJ for 3D alone.

As for the ceiling fan, well, I live in Phoenix. It gets hot here. REAL hot. it's over 100 from about June to October, and over 110 from about July to September. 118 is not uncommon. I think you can imagine what the AC does to my electric bill during the summer. I would love to get rid of the fan, but those things help to cut down AC use.
post #19 of 39 Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I was looking at the Epson 8700ub, not the 8350. Oh, and I should mention that I don't care about 3D. I would never pay extra for a PJ for 3D alone.

As for the ceiling fan, well, I live in Phoenix. It gets hot here. REAL hot. it's over 100 from about June to October, and over 110 from about July to September. 118 is not uncommon. I think you can imagine what the AC does to my electric bill during the summer. I would love to get rid of the fan, but those things help to cut down AC use.

Maybe not "Get Rid Of" ...but "Relocate" for certain.

Placing the PJ at it's optimally shortest throw distance is very important.

Yes...I'd like to point you toward a Lens Memory equipped PJ with more brightness, one that is within your budget, but none exist.

Please understand both your screen size/format, as well as that darn long throw are the spoilers here....not MississippiMan!

Say you go 58" x 139" (150"s diagonal) at a throw of 16' 3" to achieve 14 fl. That's about the bare minimum of acceptable brightness, and to obtain that the Paint will have to come in at 1.4 gain, pretty much restricting you to a lighter shade of Silver Fire or the RS-MaxxMudd genre.

And....for the Panny's Lens Memory to function right, the Bottom of the Lens...when inverted, must be very close to being the same height as the top of the screen, so chances are all you'd need to do is raise the Fan on a shorter drop rod.

For the Panny to suffice you MUST optimize everything.

You could drop down to 53" high....a 14'-10" throw.....and sit closer, under that Fan. Bluntly spoken, you gonna have to make things work, they are not gonna magically make things work themselves if things don't gel well together.

Or resign yourself to spending more money for the 7000u, observing the 58" size dictates above, and resolve to move the Fan in any case.

Personally, I vote to relocate the Fan. Ya just gotta know it will solve your problem, and cost a LOT less than the price difference between the 4K and 7K Pannys.

On a Forum you can twitch and squirm and be indecisive, and hope against hope that something magical will happen. Well Harry isn't here to save the day, and the "Voldemort" of reality is looming. If I was there in person and pointed out your "real and viable" options, the conversation would last about 10 minutes and the issues settled. I'd be moving the Fan, Dropping the PJ into a correct mounting off the Ceiling, and locating it within 6"-7" of it's minimum throw. I'd then squirt a mess of SF 2.5 2.0 all over the wall.

Poof. Something magical would then spring forth. Or else I'd disappear.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #20 of 39 Old 12-06-2011, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

You don't have to worry about spoiling it for me. I want to know the truth before I dive into this. I don't want to set things up the way I plan only to have it not work. I need to know what WILL work before I purchase anything.

As for the fan, It has to stay, the wife would never go for removing it or relocating it. So I'll have to find a way to work around it. You mentioned shortening it, that might be a good idea. I could probably remove the drop rod or get a shorter one. The fan hangs down about 14", so I could also just hang the PJ down lower than that. I've seen ceiling mounts that go as low as 25". I just don't know if it would look weird being that low. But it would bring the PJ much closer to the screen, so I would need less lens shift. My ceiling is about 8.5 feet high. I can ceiling mount anywhere from 12 feet to 19 feet throw distance.

I guess some of the problems are coming from the large screen size I want. But like I said before, I'm not set on that size, it's just what I imagine to be a good size. I'll have to run a projector on my wall and play around before I decide. I might be fine with a smaller screen. I'm not one of those people who has to have the most gigantic screen ever. It actually bothers me to sit too close at the theater, I'd rather sit in the middle or even further back sometimes. It's just that with a seating distance of 19 feet(and that can't change), a screen that size doesn't seem so big. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I can do about 45" high or less? Maybe I will not do a 2.35 screen? I really want to do that, but if it won't work, I may have to go with 16:9.

I'd love to just paint the wall, but I'm limited there. The wall I'm using has two windows on it. The space between the windows will only allow for about a 98" wide screen, probably too small for my seating distance. I was planning on blacking out the windows and using a wider screen that will overlap both windows, maybe up to a foot on each window, depending on screen size.

I would really like to shelf mount from 19 feet and get the PJ almost dead center on the screen, but it looks like I'd have to go for a $3000 or more PJ to do that right. That's too high for me, so ceiling mounting seems to be the only option.

Anyway, don't be afraid to tell me if something won't work. You won't hurt my feelings. I want to know this stuff. If I find that I just can't get away with what I want, I may just have to scrap the whole projector idea. It will be good to know that BEFORE I buy one.
post #21 of 39 Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Dude, your post still waffles from "I wanna do it." to I guess I might settle for..." to "If I can't have what I want....I'll just fergitabowdit"

Here it is. If you want to go down this road...then accept that you must choose between two premises.

1. Either your going to have to do a LOT more studying and extensive reading so you can understand the breadth and scope of the decisions that "must" be made....and make 'em.

2. Accept that others who have "Been there...Done that" repeatedly can advise you correctly and get you where you want to go a whole lot quicker and with the assurance that your end results will satisfy your expectations to the level you want.

Once you choose from those two items...or intermingle them (...that won't be possible before this weekend...), you still must make the decisions needed to adapt your old thinking to the realities of the new. If you want "The Big Picture" badly enough, your gonna accommodate the necessary things...not try to find an "end around" them.

There you have it. You can believe that I for one won't shy away from telling you what you "have" to do...and even go so far as to tell you what you "must" do. But I cannot "force" you to do anything you do not "want" to do, or cannot "decide upon".

At this conjecture, I wanna see you get something accomplished just as badly or more so than you do.

One thing that does come up...rather late...is the item about those windos. Now you must...I repeat MUST construct a Screen that can hang over the Window / Jams. Until you get settled as to what type of Screen construction that entails, and at what size, everything else is of secondary importance.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #22 of 39 Old 12-06-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Dude, your post still waffles from "I wanna do it." to I guess I might settle for..." to "If I can't have what I want....I'll just fergitabowdit"

One thing that does come up...rather late...is the item about those windos. Now you must...I repeat MUST construct a Screen that can hang over the Window / Jams. Until you get settled as to what type of Screen construction that entails, and at what size, everything else is of secondary importance.

Yes, I am indecisive, you're right. The thing is, this all started when I was about to get a new plasma, then I started reading about projectors and started measuring up my room and I realized it might be possible. Like I said, I have zero experience with Projectors and screens, so it's hard to decide on anything by just trying to imagine what it will be like. Every time I think I have the perfect way to set it up, I ask on the forums and people say "no, that won't work." So, I'm learning that way, and crossing out options as I go. I'm not 100% set on this, maybe about 70%, so I'm still debating on getting a plasma or a PJ screen. That explains the back and forth waffling I guess. I still have the TV option in my mind.

Another thing, this isn't a dedicated home theater room that I can do anything I want with. It's my living room, so I'm not going to gut the place and remodel, that would be nice, but it's not something I'm willing to do. I'm just trying to see if I can work with what I have.

And about the windows. I don't think they will be a problem. They are sunk into the wall. Everything is flush, and nothing sticks out past the wall at all. It should be easy to hang a screen over them.

Whether I end up doing this or not, I appreciate your help. I see how much time you take on here to answer all the questions people have. It's nice to have an expert to help you out for free!
post #23 of 39 Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 AM

the setup in post #9 sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I was just curious about what changes I would need to do for my particular needs. I have an Optoma HD70 projector in the sitting room of my house. The screen size is 90". There is some ambient light coming from windows of the sitting room. I have plantation blinds up now but plan on hanging curtains. There is also some ambient light from the small window in the kitchen, and then whatever lights are turned on in the house at the time. I am not aiming to get movie theater darkness being that it is a sitting room/living room so I am ok with some lighting. Most of the times we use the projector is at night anyways.

Ive never attempted anything like this so keep that in mind that I am an amateur painter! I plan on using a paint sprayer. And I would like to keep the project under $200, $100 would be even better! So what are your thoughts on paints? From what Ive read grey sounds more ideal for me, but Im still learning. To re-cap and so we are on the same page, I am looking to use the sintra material, paint it with whatever paint is best, border it with black velvet, and hang on a wall. thanks in advance for the help!
post #24 of 39 Old 12-12-2011, 01:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

H3Dpe,

The biggest thing working against you as far as compensating for any ambient light is the Optoma's lack of lumens (1000). The paints exists to get the job done, but many have now been designed around PJs with 1600 lumens +

Dependent upon how close your Throw distance is, a Silver Fire v2,5 3.0 would do nicely, certainly help improved perceived contrast, and deliver you very respectable performance in modest amounts of ambient light. (11' would be good)

If a supplier exists close to your location(?) a 4' x 8' x 6mm sheet would cost about $60.00 average. Cut to 48" x 82" to leave a 2" border on all sides to hang trim on, I estimate total cost to do the screen will be under $200.00, even if you purchase the "No Name" HVLP Gun

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #25 of 39 Old 12-12-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hey MM, what are your thoughts on the epson 6500ub? A refurbished model with 2 year warranty is almost $1000 less than an 8700ub. No free bulb though. I have heard that there is not much different between the models. Is it worth the extra $$ to get the 8700?
post #26 of 39 Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the reply! Now you got me thinking about upgrading and going all out and making downstairs more into a mancave ha. Go hard or go home I guess right?! What are your thoughts on the Optoma HD66? I would like to upgrade but dont want to break the bank doing it. From what Ive read it seems like a pretty decent unit. Any other comparable ones (price for spec) that I should look at? If I move everything downstairs the lighting situation would be much more favorable fyi. Thanks again
post #27 of 39 Old 12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hey MM, what are your thoughts on the epson 6500ub? A refurbished model with 2 year warranty is almost $1000 less than an 8700ub. No free bulb though. I have heard that there is not much different between the models. Is it worth the extra $$ to get the 8700?

Don't listen to that stuff...there is a crazy difference. Better Contrast...higher lumens....120 hz panels....better optics...no doubt about it, the 8700 is well worth waiting for a deal. I've installed several, and never had any of the problems others have mentioned.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #28 of 39 Old 12-12-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3Dpe View Post

Thanks for the reply! Now you got me thinking about upgrading and going all out and making downstairs more into a mancave ha. Go hard or go home I guess right?! What are your thoughts on the Optoma HD66? I would like to upgrade but dont want to break the bank doing it. From what Ive read it seems like a pretty decent unit. Any other comparable ones (price for spec) that I should look at? If I move everything downstairs the lighting situation would be much more favorable fyi. Thanks again

You could look far and wide and not find a better 720p DLP than the O-66

By all means...chase and catch the Dream. Few things that have as big an impact on your life come as easy and assured of satisfaction.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #29 of 39 Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Don't listen to that stuff...there is a crazy difference. Better Contrast...higher lumens....120 hz panels....better optics...no doubt about it, the 8700 is well worth waiting for a deal. I've installed several, and never had any of the problems others have mentioned.

I think I'll wait for the 8700. I'm hoping there will be some good Christmas deals soon, or maybe at the end of January around Super Bowl time.
post #30 of 39 Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I think I'll wait for the 8700. I'm hoping there will be some good Christmas deals soon, or maybe at the end of January around Super Bowl time.

Brother, I'd not wait until next year. Those PJs are going to be in short supply...leastwise the non-refurbished new ones.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page