some questions on recessed in ceiling screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-03-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I've been searching around trying to find answers to some questions I've had for a while now and still haven't gotten an answer that I am happy with. Parents bought a place over the summer and they want to put in a home theatre system in the basement with a projector and screen. I got the theatre system pretty much set up and have the wires for the projector run through already. This was all done when the basement was being finished. Unfortunately I got the screen itself kind of late and am now stuck with a finished ceiling that I have to cut into.

Now to go into the questions and concerns I have about the whole thing. The ceiling studs run parallel to the wall so I am good there. However the area in between the two joists that I had chosen to place the screen also houses a ceiling vent, not sure if that is what it's called. I read somewhere that the minimum area needed to mount the screen is 9"X10" or something like that. Before the ceiling was finished I had measured the area and it seemed to be ok. What my concern is that since it's a motorized screen and there is going to be heat involved, will there be enough room in the ceiling for the heat to disipate? There is about 2'+ room on either side of the screen before it runs into the outside wall or a soffit.

Another question I had is about finishing the project. I am gonna have a professional mount the screen and probably have our electrician come back and wire the screen but to save on cost a little I want to finish the ceiling myself. I know I want an access door so that I or someone else can get in there for repairs. I've read other threads here suggesting using MDF or similar materials but what I am wondering is how does one mount it on the ceiling so that it is flush with the ceiling. Dad hates the idea of cutting the ceiling already and is regretting ever wanting a projector so I am trying to make it as appealing as it possibly can get. I read in one of the older threads that you could use heavy duty speaker grill fasteners so that all you had to do when you need access is give a little tug on it. It sounds nice and all but has anyone done this? Any pictures? Do you guys have other suggestions or how I can get this done? The screen is going to be mounted right behind a joist and I don't want to cut too large of a whole if possible. Just enough so the mounting and wiring can be done. Pictures will help a lot.

My parents are the ones wanting an electrician to wire the screen. I don't think it would be that hard to wire the screen since the guys mounting the screen will be doing everything else (fishing and connecting the control switch, adjusting the controls, etc.) I had the electrician run the wire through the ceiling for the electric screen when they were working in the basement so all that is needed now is to connect it to the screen and find out how to turn it on since it's not a live wire. He had told me he'd show me before he left but I wasn't able to meet up with him when he was here working on that.

Any other suggestions or tips will also be very much appreciated. I am a complete noob when it comes to diy type deals. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-05-2011, 01:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Your asking for professional installation advice on a Mfg Screen on a Forum dedicated to DIY Screen projects that do not include the use of Mfg Screens. That's why you've gotten no response.

Your Contractor who will install the Screen should be the one who hooks it up to the 110 ac.

As happens so often, the Cart came before the Horse. If the Screen you have is a Cosmopolitan Electrol, the screen's "Rough-In" Casing should have been installed prior to the Sheet Rock. To effect installation at this point will require removal of more drywall than the size of the casing, additional framed Bracing added at each end, a re-edging of Drywall and Finishing/Painting...then you insert the Motorized Screen.

Heat will not be your problem. Really...the Screen only operates for a few seconds going up or down. No...mounting it level...the bottom correctly flushed with the Drywall...lots of other concerns take precedent.

Just get the A/V Installer you plan to use out there to overview the situation. If he's anybody who know even a little bit about these things, he'll clue you in. But steel your wool and open the wallet...it will be costing you far more now than it would have had these questions been asked some time ago.

I feel your pain and confusion. Send me a Private Message that includes the Mfg Name and Model of your Screen. I'll advise you best I can so that when your Contractors show up you'll not come away feeling inadequate....at best. I can only imagine what the types of responses...or lack thereof you have already received. People sometimes tend to get exasperated on the Forums when a seemingly hopeless or misdirected post is offered up. On DIY Screens we often hold the hand of NOObs. This is not a DIY project, so a PM to me will help get you some advice that doesn't run counter to this Forums intent.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page