DW screen fail, need help please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-08-2011, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A while back I bought DW and aluminum frame to make a 54 X 130 scope screen. Well today while trying to get the laminate in the basement I got a 12" crack in the laminate that would be seen in the image area. I'm trying to figure out what to do next. Another sheet of laminate? Rather not, but what are my options at this size?

I thought about BOC stretched on the aluminum frame then painted with Silverfire, but not sure how that would turn out being the fabric stretch or sag. I thought about scraping the aluminum frame idea and just going with a sheet of sintra and painting it with Silverfire, but I didn't want to give up the extra image size if I didn't have to. My original plan was for a 140" 2.40AR, and going with the sintra I would drop to a 130" screen. Still a good sized screen, just wanted to go with the biggest screen that i could fit.

My newly built HT room is 25L X 15W, projector is a Infocus SP8602, projector to screen is ~16', projector is mounted 12" above top of screen, will be using an Anamorphic lens, room is light controlled, ceiling is flat blk and walls are a flat dark green. Also what version of the SF should I use? Thank you for any help/ideas you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-08-2011, 02:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
What a tragedy to wake up to.

De[ending upon the rigidity of the Frame you already have constructed, BOC would be the only option you'd have as far as maintaining the size you want, and you do already have the Frame. Painting onto BOC isn't extremely difficult, but it does have it's own set of "must do s".

But, when over viewing the situation, to me it seems that using a 10' x 5' sheet of Sintra @ 50" x 120" would be optimal. It's smooth, white, made to accept paint, and it bends much easier without breaking. It won't sag or stretch, nor pull a Frame out of plumb.

Silver Fire v2.5 3.0

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 6 Old 12-08-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply. When I decided on a screen a while back I think that maybe I made to quick of a decision to go with the DW option. That was 6 months or so ago, then I started to read more and realized that sintra board would be a much easier option. That why I don't want to risk damaging another $120 sheet of laminate. I'm here in Denver, Co what's the best place to pick up a sheet of sintra? Also, I have an Auto hvlp gun, will that be sufficient to spray the Silver Fire?
post #4 of 6 Old 12-08-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

The compressor that I'll be using for the hvlp gun is 6hp, 60gal so shouldn't be a problem for continuous air supply for sprayer.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Just called piedmont plastics in Littleton, Co and their price is $135 plus tax. Is that the going rate or should I look elsewhere? Thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 12-09-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyman98 View Post

Just called piedmont plastics in Littleton, Co and their price is $135 plus tax. Is that the going rate or should I look elsewhere? Thanks

Ow....was working late, should have answered your post sooner. No matter. I can arrange for you to get the same stock for $110.00 with a call to Piedmont. Usually I have the chance to relate that sooner. Check your PM box for my contact #

Your HVLP Rig is more than sufficient, but be advised you'll need a good Water / Rust Filter. Tip size is important as you'll want a 1.5 mm tip

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page