Newbie trying screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My how the forum has grown since my early days in here finding DVD players that worked (that first Oppo hurt my wallet but what a machine for its day).

Being a male I have tried my best to read through all the various screen creating posts. Sadly my first jump in landed me on the RS-MaxxMudd HGC formula which my wonderful wife went out and hunted up almost all the parts for me as a birthday present - I still had to find the Delta pearl myself..

Now I'm not sure it's what I should be using. This will me in my barn, on one wall. No windows to worry about. I usually have whatever light I need on, turn lights in that bay off while watching races.

2600 Lumen PJ screen is drywall.

I own myriad automotive HVLP guns but if MM happens to see this I'd love for him to confirm that I should still buy the Wagner for ease of use and cleaning. Like MM I have had bad experiences with older Wagner guns but reading through all the posts here it seems to be a vastly improved device. I'd also like confirmation that the old 0417005 model is still the implement of choice. (Gleem is sold out by the way, but looks like Amazon still has it).

Is it okay to use a paint shaker rather than squirrel cage stirrer. Can't imagine one makes that much more bubbles than the other, but not sure.

Finally, did my male short attention span miss the actual painting order? At first I thought you just mixed all the components together stirred it up and shot it. Now I'm not so sure.

Sorry if this is the umpteenth time for these questions. I did spend several hours reading through, but I have the aforementioned attention span problem - squirrel.

Thanks for all the great info already here and any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 223
He comes...posts...and ditches in 3 minutes.

Waddya thin? Should I help 'em? Ahhhhh....why not. Seems a decent enough fellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingjag View Post

Being a male I have tried my best to read through all the various screen creating posts. Sadly my first jump in landed me on the RS-MaxxMudd HGC formula which my wonderful wife went out and hunted up almost all the parts for me as a birthday present - I still had to find the Delta pearl myself..

Relate exactly what paints you have, as well as your Room's fine points, PJ Model, throw, etc. Are there any Ambient Light issues?

Quote:
Now I'm not sure it's what I should be using. This will me in my barn, on one wall. No windows to worry about. I usually have whatever light I need on, turn lights in that bay off while watching races.

2600 Lumen PJ screen is drywall.

Well I wanna know what's the PJ behind those Lumens.

Hey....you sound like one of my Good "Ol By neigh-boors. Been threaten' to do the same ever since I slipped a Panny 3000 and 11" Light Fusion into his Den 2 years ago.

Quote:
I own myriad automotive HVLP guns but if MM happens to see this I'd love for him to confirm that I should still buy the Wagner for ease of use and cleaning. Like MM I have had bad experiences with older Wagner guns but reading through all the posts here it seems to be a vastly improved device. I'd also like confirmation that the old 0417005 model is still the implement of choice. (Gleem is sold out by the way, but looks like Amazon still has it).

The following previously posted for the Painting Impared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post

Aha! Thanks for clarifying that.

alright, reading more.

Just found out my spay gun (never used) is a LVLP, not HVLP. I assume that is not (as) suitable? If not, would it be better to just buy the Wagner at HD (about $70 it looks like) or a spray gun to go with my compressor (plus pressure regular and rust filter etc)?

Quote:
Yes....YES....YES By all means get a different Gun. Like this one.....;

http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

A Turbine -Hose Fed Electric HVLP with everything you need to paint like a Compressor Fed HVLP on Steroids. But no Rust/Water Filter, tons easier to use , and as light as having a Quart of Liquid in your outstretched hand, and about 10 oz more weight attributed to the Gun itself.

Much preferred by all those who have gotten one, over any Hand Held Turbine.....for all the obvious reasons, including that the Hand Held costs more. Don't pass this one up.

But if you do, the Wagner Double Duty is perfectly suited to the task as well. However it's bulky, fairly heavy to some,(...the Motor is in your Hand...) and tends to make people's arm wobble and dip....even "Arrrnuld Types".

My point being I have both...had the WG-DD first...but as long as the "No Name" (Graco) is available, it reigns supreme for discerning DIY'ers

Quote:
Is it okay to use a paint shaker rather than squirrel cage stirrer. Can't imagine one makes that much more bubbles than the other, but not sure.

Who is this Guy? At the proper speed, few things blend colors-water-Poly-tints better than a Squirrel Cage mixer. Certainly not faster. For "Normals" who must individually add separately mixed in components, it's just plain Mo' better. For those who possess or have access to "Shaker Machines", well OK...as long as the Container is nearly Full so that indeed it's Paint being shaken, and not "Paint and Air", yeah....you can use it.

I guess. I stopped using "Shakers" at Home Depot back when it was MississippiMud-SE (Silver Edition) when the "Squirrel" caught my attention.

Quote:
Finally, did my male short attention span miss the actual painting order? At first I thought you just mixed all the components together stirred it up and shot it. Now I'm not so sure.

Pretty much the same, only one's painting distance, speed, and paint viscosity have changed. Of course these days there are "Duster Coats" and shorter Dry Times (...if allowable...)

Myself, I have doubts about your Paint Choice. You need Silver Fire 2.5 4.0

Quote:
Sorry if this is the umpteenth time for these questions.

Try to think in terms of "hundreds".

Quote:
I did spend several hours reading through, but I have the aforementioned attention span problem - squirrel.

I hear/read the former a lot.....though almost always with the same conclusions. The "Squirrel" part....? Not so much.

And still you have the audacity to doubt the power of "The Squirrel" ?

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info already here and any help you can give.

Yeah....I see that all the time too. Get's monotonous. Personally, I find that when someone just comes out and says, "I'm Hopeless! I'm Lazy! I have the attention span of a Nut Eating Rodent!" ...I find it refreshing enough to enjoy ignoring them.

But you....you already have the paints, so you get credit for tryin' to get'er dun.

Let's do some serious review and get you up and running asap.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, not used to this fast attention.

The squirrel at the end of the post is in reference to that cartoon move UP with the talking dogs. Like that dog, I'll be going along fine reading something and then something else grabs my attention (squirrel) and I'm dragged off in another direction. Thus my attention span is that of a dog, you've got 100% of my attention - until a pretty girl walks by.

I have a NEC NP115. I know it's not much in this group, but the purchase of this was precipitated by the fact that while working on my car barn I couldn't see what was happening during races on my little LCD at the other end of the barn. So I finished one wall real fast, and threw this thing on. The quality of the image on the painted wall was so much better than I expected, I decided to paint a proper screen since some friends with much more money have come by and already been impressed with what I have. I figure a proper screen will better knock their socks off.

The pj is currently throwing from 14 feet creating a 50 x 84" image. I don't imagine I will go much further back from that as the image size is pretty good, and that keeps everything within a single bay of the barn. There is no reason I couldn't throw from a greater distance if the image quality warranted it (probably requiring a much better pj).

The ambient light is mostly under my control. If I were to decide to watch a movie in here, it could be black. During the day there is only one 8" high by 14' window over the door 2 bays away. In addition some light comes from double french doors upstairs because I have an area open to the second floor to allow cars to be raised up to the max level. (A raised car can pretty much block that light).

Right now I'm sitting at a computer about 16 feet away watching a football game pretty clearly with a 4 foot fluorescent right over my head, and a bunch of 4 foot lighting further behind me. That would probably be my normal non-movie viewing situation. But if I were to kick back and throw in Grand Prix or LeMans, I'd kill all but some light in the back bay.

My point regarding the HVLP guns is that lugging a compressor isn't an issue since one is in here. I have 5 different HVLP guns for doing primers, and clears and top coats with different tips. But it looked like in reading your other posts, you still felt the Wagner was worth it. So I'll buy the Wagner and assume it might come in handy for some other non car related painting.

I'm glad that you continue to get the thanks from people. You clearly have put a good deal of your heart and soul into this.

Thanks
post #4 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

MM, I just looked at the formula for V2.5 - if I use that I'll have to hide the add in paint the old lady bought - it took her a lot of driving around to find and she'll do an eye roll if she see's me not use it lol.

I do have the "no such thing as too many tools" gene, but now that I'm retired I try not to buy things that existing stuff might do. I have the shaker for my car paints, so it's just sitting there at the ready.

Think I'll go out and get the V2.5 components while she's out of town tomorrow!
post #5 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Error on lumens only 2500 not 2600.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-10-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I'd add this in case someone else like me comes along looking for info on using high end automotive spray guns. Aside from all of MM's and others hard work in efforting best results and determining the value of the Wagner I bumped into info while trying to decide between the older and newer style Wagner.

In reading write ups on the difference between the old Wagner HVLP and the newer DD, one reviewer was someone with existing spray equipment similar to what I have. It was clear from his post that automotive equipment was not the right tool for the job.

At this point it appears the original CS is only available on Amazon. At a price difference of $11 more than the original, immediate local availability of the DD, and an implied better performance of the CS DD (e.g. less water reduction required) I guess that's where I'll land.

Since MM hasn't posted back, I'm guessing I somehow displeased him, or he's managed to take some time off from helping everyone all the time. So I'm going to go with his initial recommendation of Silver Fire V2.5 4.0, and hope I get it right!

Thanks again to pbmaxx and all the others who have contributed in the past as well as those who have rolled up these many posts into single information points in the forum.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/icons/icon11.gif
post #7 of 11 Old 12-10-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
goingjag;

do to nature of our jobs... often times either MM or myself can get incredibly busy. as of my writing this i believe MM is flying out to KC, followed by 2 other destinations before heading back home.

however, before he went, i was pushing him to get some needed paperwork done so we could get to work on making his retirement sooner rather than later.

as for the wagners hvlps... the original CS has the finer spray... but it requires a more watered down and less forgiving viscosity. it's also underpowered in my opinion. the CS DD is more powerful, but also has head unit with a larger tip requiring less water. it however does hot have as fine of a spray as the CS.

i have both units. i use the CS DD with an original CS head unit that i've slightly modified to give more paint flow than the CS tip but a finer mist than the DD head unit can provide.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-10-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info pb_maxx. That probably puts me in a bit of a coin toss for which unit to get. Given that I'll need to practice a bit with either gun I may just go with ordering the original from Amazon, lord knows I have enough other things to do to wait a for a few days for delivery. For one thing I'll need to cut an exit for a fan in the barn, as an open door will provide too much ventilation/cold air. I'll need one for future car painting so it's a good time to engineer one for this project.

My wife forced the retirement issue and I got out a bit early. So keep the pressure on MM to bail as soon as he can afford to. Money's a bit tighter, but the older you get the less you can get done in a day. I used to laugh when retired people would tell me they don't know how they ever got anything done when they worked. I've been out 4 years now, and I'm not laughing anymore.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-11-2011, 02:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ok...it's 4 am and I'm up, so here's a few things.

First and foremost, goingjag, it's hard for any willing DIY'er to get me riled or make me ignore a request. It's not my nature to not "be there" if possible. I've been paying forward to the Forum for the things I learned back in 2001-2002 for so long, I'd be in a depressed state of mind if I tried to ignore what was going on / needed. I guess you could say I have selfish motives....I'm trying to maintain my sanity.

But I can get busy...and unless a post signals impending Doom or Disaster, or a very wrongful decision in the making, I can defer for a couple days, hoping someone else might chime in. Through attrition, often I can fill up almost the entire Thread-Listing page with posted replies, and while the recipients seldom complain, to a very few on here and a few disaffected fellows elsewhere, that seems to indicate that this is a "One Man Forum". That's pretty silly thinking....with a touch of .....well I won't go there. Just chalk it up to my willingness to devote more time than is sane for most simply because I enjoy seeing people have a successful end result. I try to encourage participation by members I have helped, and it fluctuates somewhat, because after a while, for some strange, unforeseeable reason, people tend to go off and enjoy the fruits of their labors.

But recently, there has been an increase in those willing to come back on and contribute, and in reality, seeing that happen is pretty darn satisfying in and of itself. I can think of more than a few other things I'd be less happy about being held accountable for. Fortunately...no one know about 'e.

goingjag, the Wagner DD is a good Gun. As PB stated, he & I both combine the smaller tip of the Original with the increased output of the DD or Plus units to create a heavier "Mist" that speeds up our work-times and assures the smoothest finishes. But the increased output means one must be more careful not to over-apply too much paint at once...and while we have the experience that comes with having done many screens, NOOBS can make some awful mistakes.

That is a primary reason why "Dusters" have become the norm as far as being the suggested and preferred method when using the higher output Electric HVLPs. When I used a conventional one, I used 45 lbs at the Gun's valve, 90 lbs at the Tank/s Valve, and a 1.6 mm tip.

The "Wagster" DD has a 2 mm tip, so it will toss out paint in heavier amounts. Yeah, less thinning is required....but not that much less. Too thick paint will never let you achieve a 12" tall Pattern from 14" distance.

So use some primer or cheap paint to practice with. It will pay off....believe me.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #10 of 11 Old 12-11-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks MM. I appreciate the input and very well understand the time commitment issues, as I have helped others in areas that I have expertise, and no one can understand the time it takes to give useful and meaningful responses unless they've been there.

Now take my and pb-mass's advice and retire just as soon as you possibly can! I wish I had been able to do it even sooner than I did. With the exception of politics, I even liked my job - but retirement is a lot more fun.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 01:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Lots of things to do first....but I am looking toward a 5 year plan. At 57, I have a few productive years left that will be best spent away from the Beach.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page