electic/manual on wall (78X133) with big window - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I was planning to have a manual pull down or electric screen on my wall 78 hX133 w inches. one problem is there is a window on this wall and the crown molding is etched out an inch out.

i tried to look up on the internet for the screens available. I can only find up to 120 " diagonal manual or electrical. anything above this range is very expensive for me. I can spend upto $400 max. i am not interested in a fixed frame at this point.

I was looking at option to by an DC 12 V tubular motor DIY kit from RollerTrol (rollertrol dot com). i found this on EBAY search. I am not sure it will help me. I need to insert a long tube like PVC pipe into the motor shaft and mount it on both sides of the wall ( just like the shower curtain). I am not sure what knind of pipe to use. Plastic/aluminium. The width is 133 inch. I am wondering if this will cause to Sag in the middle after I install.

At this point I am about to drop my idea but thought to post this here so some one can point me in right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Welcome to AVS's DIY Screen Forum.

You need to look to using the Rod Tubes that come from actual Roller Blind kits.
Use 2- 6'ers or 1-6' and 1- 5'er They should be 1-1/4" diameter and they have a Adhesive Tape running their length to adhere Fabric to.

They will have to be joined together with a inserted 1" diameter Wood Dowel that is wrapped in Duct Tape at intervals so as to increase it's diameter to where it just barely slides into the Tubes, when pre-brushed with a expanding glue like Gorilla Glue. The Dowels length should be at least 3' so a full 1.5' inserts into each Tube.

I've made a Chain Pull Roller Mask 10' wide before, with a Black Velvet Drop using the above. It wasn't super easy...but it wasn't too hard either or I wouldn't be suggesting it.

BTW...this is MississippiMan using carp's PC while I'm at his home in Kansas City.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-18-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

i just bought FAVI electric 16:9 150 inch diagonal screen for $397 from amazon.
i didn't see any better readymade option
post #4 of 5 Old 12-18-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by imarichards View Post

i just bought FAVI electric 16:9 150 inch diagonal screen for $397 from amazon.
i didn't see any better readymade option

Or perhaps one worse. Good Luck with that decision.

150" non-tensioned" screens (...or any size really...) are not known for delivering or maintaining a flat, non-curved image. It's a crap shoot, and you can either win a prize, or get snookered with the same odds. There are good reasons why Fixed or Tensioned Screen are the most expensive. They provide the best images. 150" of "ugly" never sent anyone into through s of ecstasy.

While anyone must admit that's a whole lot of "electric retractable" Image Acreage for the Money, it's not the sort of thing we DIY'ers aspire to on this Forum.

It's gotta be the "Best for Less"....and if giving out a little extra DIY effort gets one there, the satisfaction index soars via accomplishment.

There is, and always will be those who either want to, or must purchase something "readymade". You find them over on the "Screens Forum".

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 5 Old 01-09-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

MississippiMan,

Yeah I agree with you. the projector screen has folds. so I returned it back to amazon. amazon gave me full refund which is good without any shipping costs which is good. The remotes are also not working per specifications. so i am back to getting my own screen done.

thx
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page