Sintra screen - Need advice for final details - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been following everyone's progress here and have read hundreds of threads trying to get up to speed; so many awesome projects to behold!

So, got a new house recently and it has a potentially sweet theater room. The plan is a 120"ish Sintra screen, I say 120"ish because the screen calculators I've tried out are all inconsistent with each other. My first question is, if I start with a 60"H x 120"W sheet of Sintra, what is the exact width it should be cut to for a 16/9 ratio screen? And what should the gain for the mix be; from what I've researched, this setup would not really require additional gain.

Lastly,which version of the Silver Fire mix should I be using considering the following parameters:

Projector is on order, Epson 6010.
Room dimensions are: 18'10"w X 15'6"d and 8'h on the outside, 10'9"h in the middle.
Seating distance: ~12'
Windows blacked out eventually, although most viewing will be done when it is dark out anyway. Walls will be painted a medium-dark brown earth tone, and acoustical panels will be installed.
And of course the entry will have a permanent door.

If it helps, here is a short clip of the room in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFM0-...e_gdata_player

Thank you to anyone who can provide some insight.

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 12:49 AM

My sintra was cut to 60" by 106" for a 16:9 board that is 122". As far as mix, I don't know. I was recommended the 3.0 because I have some uncontrollable ambient light. Good luck!

Starting my first HT project!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Lemonhead is giving you all the correct advice you need. Choose the Cup your going drink from wisely.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys.

I'll try shooting onto the unpainted board first to get a feel for the brightness; Projector Central's calculator indicates a 1.0 gain would be fine for the 5010 at this size/distance.

Forgot to mention I already have MM's recommended HVLP unit, just need purchase paint ingredients after deciding on the mix.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I went to order the Sintra today and they mentioned the surface has a slight texture to it. Is this normal? I was under the impression that the screens folks on AVS are making from it are smooth and texture free.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by awake33 View Post

Ok, so I went to order the Sintra today and they mentioned the surface has a slight texture to it. Is this normal? I was under the impression that the screens folks on AVS are making from it are smooth and texture free.

Essentially it is....but not glass-smooth. If sprayed correctly, the application of the paint builds up a pretty darn smooth surface.

Dibond w/a White Enamel Coating is Glass Smooth. But it requires at least 3 coats of Glidden Gripper primer dusted on to be able to assure good paint adhesion. The Sintra is made to accept paint directly.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com