Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 206
...but I didn't get me none.

However, while in Kansas City, KS (...Shawnee actually...) I did have the opportunity to help construct and paint a 157" x 71" "DRYWALL" Screen, and for me, that was all the excitement I could stand.

Before I started, Member carp had this raw wall pallet to work with, desiring a 156" diagonal 2.35:1 image

After some consultation, carp attempted to repair a couple areas on the wall, one being a size-ably deep dent at lower center. He did so with the intent of having me finish up the fine sanding upon my arrival.

Well....when I got there, there were about 4 repaired spots...one "dent" and 3 small "buggers". Upon doing a closer inspection, I found several other areas whose defects would have been quite noticeable after any highly reflective paint was applied, even with the necessary 4 sprayed on Primer Coats applied beforehand. Now that would never do, so.....viola.

Here is a shot of an image across the "repairs" but with no Primer.
(Primer used was Kilz-2 adequately diluted so as to flow easily through the Wagner Control Spray Plus I toted along with me.)

Note: I did not / could not take any "Primer Shots" because I had to construct a "Paint Booth Tent" out of 2 mil x 9' x 12' Plastic Sheeting that effectively kept all Paint Dust contained, but alas...blocked the PJ's ability to shoot onto the wall.

Moving on.....

OK then....due to the "2.35:1" size of carp's screen, it was adjudged pertinent and wise to paint the wall a lighter, higher gain version of Silver Fire v2.5. I determined to use 1.0, opting to try to still retain a bit of ambient light ability. S-I-L-V-E-R was another potential candidate,(...no gain issues there...) but does poorly in moderate ambient light.

So the squirtin' commenced, and when it was done ...after 3 Dusters and 2 "normal" coats... (I shy away from using the description "Heavy" as it bespeaks of potential disaster...) ....this is the end result.

Looking good, as evidenced by the Thumb of Approval.

But it looks like the screen area crowds the "Beam" on the left side, and actually goes above it on either side? Hmmmmm.............more on that later.

So now comes the Trim. We used 3.25" x 1/2" simple MDF Base Board. With such a big screen, and considering the need to "wrap" around that damnable Beam, I cut and pieced the Trim in place to confirm the "lay".

So then, in secession...;

And what about that nasty 'ol Beam? Well now...a little bit of self-adhesive ProtoStar Telescope Flocking wrapped around the Bottom & Sides and No Problemo......

Also using the ProtoStar, we wrapped to properly sized sheets of Sintra to create the necessary Masking Panels for 16:9 content viewing.

The Gods of DIY Screen making were smiling that day because after wrapping, the Panels fit so snugly into the space between the Top & Bottom Trim, they didn't need any assistance staying in place. "Snapped" right in there.

Projector was hung onto a Finished Wood Panel for access to the ceiling cavity (110 ac and future wire pulls)

.........and we wound up with this Beauty.

I'll let carp continue any further construction "stories" should he care to do so...

Any questions posed about specifics of the "build" I'll be glad to address.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice!
post #3 of 17 Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Ha, I was just getting ready to start a new thread!

Here are some before and after shots of my room.

This is my old 65 inch Mits rear proj. tv.

Here is the room right after selling the mits... messy, messy.

Here is the room today.

This is after on coat of primer I believe.

Here it is after all the coats of primer and paint.

Here is a picture of what my it looked like before, just using the wall compared to after paint. Original wall color is a beige (Sherwin Williams Tony Taupe to be exact)

Picture below is before, just the beige wall.

After, new painted screen.

Here are some comparisons with the painted screen and wall. From this point on, all pictures are after the screen was painted.

All lights on first, all off second.

All lights on

All lights on. A few weeks ago I borrowed a portable screen from a friend that he hasn't used in years. It's a white screen, I don't think it has any gain to it or anything, but I don't know. It's sitting about 6 inches in front of the wall.

Here are some comparisons with that screen.

I really love how the masking panels turned out. Super easy to take off and put back on. Here is a picture of them down, 16 9 looks so much better with the panels.

MM, the height is 61, not 71 (I wish ).

The exact dimensions go like this:

16:9 is 124 inches diagonal

2:35:1 is 158 inches diagonal!!!!!
post #4 of 17 Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Very nice. I bet you'll enjoy that for a long time.

That Protstar material is great stuff.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #5 of 17 Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
post #6 of 17 Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 PM

Loving the masking panels!

One nitpick: I think the beige wall shots from the Cowboys/Giants game looked better. The field turf looked much more natural with the Silver Fire shots being a tad washed out. Almost like a white film is hovering over the screen.

Could be way off base as camera pics can be far different than what you see live.

Did you recalibrate the 8350 (still using this PJ?) after painting the new screen?
post #7 of 17 Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post

One nitpick: I think the beige wall shots from the Cowboys/Giants game looked better. The field turf looked much more natural with the Silver Fire shots being a tad washed out. Almost like a white film is hovering over the screen.

Could be way off base as camera pics can be far different than what you see live.

Did you recalibrate the 8350 (still using this PJ?) after painting the new screen?

What you think you see, and what the camera is showing, it the significant degree of difference in Gain between the Taupe wall and the SF coating.

When presented with the two simultaneously, the camera's metering will pick up the intensity of the reflected light. In person, the wall looked "crushed".

In retrospect, we could have opted for a slightly darker version of SF, but having adequate gain out of the gate was a paramount issues for carp, and in that sense we were very successful.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #8 of 17 Old 12-22-2011, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
One nitpick: I think the beige wall shots from the Cowboys/Giants game looked better. The field turf looked much more natural with the Silver Fire shots being a tad washed out.

i probably would have taken it a tad darker... at least 1.5 and even 2.0.

but basically you have the perfect storm here... where a beige wall will absolutely make greens much richer... thereby increasing the saturation...which is great for football and vegetation...but be incorrect for everything else.

Almost like a white film is hovering over the screen.

funny. that's how i feel about every white screen i've even used.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-23-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post

There is a "film hovering" effect to be sure, in fact that's a good way to describe it. I can't see it as much on still shots but when there is movement it's like the picture is "behind" a filmy surface that is visible, especially with bright scenes. I have never had a gain screen, so maybe that's just how it works, I don't know.

The football field looks in the room exactly like you see it in those pictures.

I like to watch tv (this is my primary tv watching room) I do like to have the lights on. Before with just the wall I could easily do that for football, but on regular tv shows like say Modern Family, I had to dim the lights somewhat. With the new screen I don't feel the need to do that which is very nice.

Is the brightness worth the film issue? I don't know. I'll have to give it some time to get used to the new screen.

Last night we watched our first full movie since setting everything up and I was like what the h*ll?? It was a 2:40:1 movie and I zoom so that the bars are off the screen. The bars were very obvious for the first time above and below the screen (partially on the ceiling as well). These bars were hardly noticeable before (we've been using the projector for almost 2 months and have watched 5 or 6 2:35:1 movies)... so I checked my settings and I was on living room. I set it back to dynamic and the bars were back to barely showing up. I assume that means that rest of the picture becomes so bright in dynamic mode that the bars become hard to see.

The faces in the movie looked a little exaggerated, tan skinned people appeared a bit too tan and light complected skin people looked a tiny bit sunburned. Not by a lot mind you, it wasn't too bad, but it was noticeable for sure. I know using dynamic mode has a lot to do with this, but before using the beige wall I never had these issues, faces always looked natural which suggests that the beige wall/dynamic setting combo worked out well. I assume that a calibration would fix these facial tone issues for the new screen? Should I get a disk? Which one?
post #10 of 17 Old 12-23-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Bravo! Big and 2.40 to 1. That's a screen, MM.

Yeah, I have been away for quite a while. Guess it takes threads like these to get me excited anymore.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Liked: 11
i had that old mits 65inch... paid 5k sold it for 700 5 years ago.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-23-2011, 12:26 PM

It was only a minor nitpick!
Because I do admire the entire setup --- MMan did right by you.

I freely admit I'm a complete novice to projectors. I recently bought a BenQ W6000 and beaming it onto my own beige wall that looks similar to your wall. The BenQ owner thread has countless posts saying how horrible it looks with out of the box settings.

When I fired my up the first time, I was floored. Perhaps it's my naivety in full effect, but every source thrown at it looks amazing --- DirecTv football, Bluray, even my SD DVD "The Shield" discs.

I've yet to see a professionally calibrated TV or PJ. I did calibrate my 4 year old Pioneer 50 inch plasma using an AVIA disc. The BenQ on a beige wall looks very plasma-like 'cept BIGGAH! The only change made was turning lamp mode to eco from normal. It's nearing 100 hours on the bulb so I might try some user-posted settings to see any differences. Doubtful they'll be comparable much as those settings were for their specific screens (i.e. not beige). I do want a screen for it, but still deciding on DIY or manufactured.

If you do consider calibrating, might wanna check out this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134710 and this one http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I bookmarked those for when I'm ready to venture into calibration. Such an arcane world!
post #13 of 17 Old 12-23-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwoodward View Post

i had that old mits 65inch... paid 5k sold it for 700 5 years ago.

Bought mine for 3000, sold for 200. Great tv, never faded and looked as clear the day I sold it as the day I bought it.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-23-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Bought mine for 3000, sold for 200. Great tv, never faded and looked as clear the day I sold it as the day I bought it.

I too had that Mits 65" CRT, and it had an excellent picture after I had it professionally calibrated. I gave mine to my niece, and today it sits in their house with her soon to be ex-husband. I told her to get it in the divorce, because I'm not moving that beast again until everything's final.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #15 of 17 Old 12-23-2011, 05:31 PM

Liked: 11
MM

you was in my neck of the woods, and I didn't even know... would have brought you a drink while you was a paintin'....

q4u: In the HarryPotter screenie, is it pushing a tiny bit blue?
post #16 of 17 Old 12-24-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbelljbell View Post

MM

you was in my neck of the woods, and I didn't even know... would have brought you a drink while you was a paintin'....

q4u: In the HarryPotter screenie, is it pushing a tiny bit blue?

That would make sense, because the difference in brightness between the painted screen and the beige wall is huge when showing the blue "pattern" screen on my Epson. The difference in brightness is much less obvious with regular viewing. It is brighter, but not near to the same level as the blue screen.

Obviously I need to do some kind of calibration. I don't think that's going to do anything for the filmy issue where the image looks like it's trapped under a top coat. That is really starting to bug me unfortunately.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-25-2011, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Above and beyond the "Screen Curing" issue I mentioned in my PM,
if your watching a High Gain Screen with lights-on, the "Covered with a Film-like appearance" is probably a case of the Screen reflecting the ambient light back along with the projected light....especially if that one Can on the Right is still a "Flood" and has not been replaced as of yet with a "Spot".

The infusion of ambient Light will cast a dulling effect across the screen, lessening contrast and detail. (...your Taupe Wall was well under 1.0 gain...) While the additional gain may well be making the Screen brighter...as does any HG Screen, not being a ultra high contrast shade of Gray puts the potential of maintaining contrast by retaining the depth of the black levels at a disadvantage.

As the Screen cures, the effect will lessen somewhat, but as I said, with a lighter shaded, high gain screen, unless you mute the amount of "up close" light hitting the Screen, and control the light from the other Cans as well (Spots Dude!) it will never be as sharp an image as it might be otherwise.

To quote James T. Kirk;
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page