Screen materials in NYC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-23-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of building my own screen after being somewhat dissatisfied with the pull down screens that I own. I started with Da-lite model B 106" matte white and then Draper Luma 120" High Contrast Gray.

My main issue is waves. It's not bad, but I do watch hockey and I can see them pretty clearly, especially during camera movement across the ice, and it's distracting (more so on the Draper). During most movies, that is not an issue though unless there is panning on a very light image.

Living in New York City, I don't really have a work area or many tools. Don't have a car to bring materials home, so not sure if I can even make my own screen. Sintra seems like a common approach here, but I don't know how I would get it home.

Is there anyone here in NYC who has has built a screen and can recommend some suppliers?

Or maybe I can mail order a frame that comes apart and use some material to stretch on it?

Painting a wall is possible, just hope my landlord doesn't find out!

I guess I can also buy a fixed screen from Visual Apex or Jamestown. Visual Apex offers just a white screen material and during the day the living is a not very dark, even though the windows are covered.

I have an Epson 8350, but will be upgrading to a 3D projector within the year. Sitting 12.5 feet away from screen and projector about 13' away from screen.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-23-2011, 04:57 PM

DS,

I took MM's advice and got 6mm sintra from Westbury, LI today. It cost 130 and gave me a crick in the neck. The biggest pain was stuffing it in my SUV for the trip back to Long Island City. I had the board precut to 95"x55" and it stretched all the way in front of my head.

I basically drove squatting with my head tilted to the right. I was paranoid about being pulled over. But, I made it home safe. My original plans included WilsonArt laminate on 80/20 material which I would of have needed to cut, velcro and paint in my studio.

There's no shortcut to this thing and, I'm sticking to my guns as a diy'er. However, the weight of the sintra is making me think twice about needing to mount it on a frame as I can hard mount it to the wall if need be.

If you need a frame, I can sell my new 80/20 frame to you at cost. It's partially assembled. All that needs to be done is to attach the horizontal pieces to the vertical (left, center support and right) ends.

I could totally drop it off depending on where your located tomorrow morning. Since I don't know what forum rules are about sales, send me a PM to discuss off line.

Measurements are 95"x55". For reference a 106" diagonal is 92"x52" so the extra inches were for the black velvet boarders. You can tightly wrap screen material to the frame or choose to go with the laminate down the line. That would be up to you of course.

p.s. the sintra is about 20-25 lbs.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-24-2011, 04:18 AM

Liked: 11
I too live in an NYC apt and have opted to go DIY. And I too can't wait to watch NHL on a new "big" screen.

What I did was design a frame out of 8020 extruded aluminum and have it shipped here. It should be here the Tuesday after Christmas (was hoping to get it yesterday so I could assemble over the weekend as I am working next week sadly, but oh well). My design was probably 2x as expensive as most 8020 designs since I added rear shelves (and all the necessary structural supports) to hold my speakers behind the screen. I also opted to keep it as light weight as possible, which meant having lots of access holes and taps drilled, which added cost - but I was out of luck any other way since like you I don't have many tools beyond a drill and certainly no bandsaw to do all the cutting myself. I will warn also that shipping was a monster to get it here due to the size I was going for (115 inch diagonal) - it meant some pieces were too large for normal shipping and had to go freight. This shipping alone literally increased the cost of my screen by 50%. I will just have to clear out the living room in my apt to be able to assemble (and lock the dog in bedroom ha).

I am going the AT route, most likely with spandex, so I will not have to deal with large pieces of sintra, WA, etc. So if you are set on a solid screen surface, I won't be of much help there. Though I suppose in hind sight, renting a massive uhaul to drag sintra from some out-of-city location would still have been cheaper than the shipping on my 40 pounds of aluminum ha! MMan should be able to recommend suppliers in the area if you go the solid screen route though as Dwaazi suggested above.

I will be using the Home Depots in the city to get most of the extra hardware I need (screws/bolts/MDF to seat the front speakers behind the screen/clips or grommets to mount the screen material to the aluminum/etc).

Total price with all shipping included will probably be in the $900-1,000 range (aluminum, screen material, masking, etc). Most people will say that for that price , I am nuts and should have just ordered a mid-quality manufacture screen. I say I wanted to design/build it on my own, it was never about cost. Plus now I will have a custom fixed-frame AT screen that swings out from the wall with speakers already lined up perfectly. Could never have gotten something like that with a mfg route.

Will be posting details of the build here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...56&postcount=1
post #4 of 9 Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 AM

Rukus did you measure your elevator? That was one of my constraints when ordering 8020. It came in short sections to keep delivery costs down. This required purchasing additional connectors, but the price is reasonable.

Sintra 6mm is bendable as MM identified and I believe it will hold up nicely against laminate, but I have no plans of ordering it again.

I'm very interested in seeing your results. By the way, which speakers are you using?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaazi View Post

Rukus did you measure your elevator? That was one of my constraints when ordering 8020. It came in short sections to keep delivery costs down. This required purchasing additional connectors, but the price is reasonable.

Sintra 6mm is bendable as MM identified and I believe it will hold up nicely against laminate, but I have no plans of ordering it again.

I'm very interested in seeing your results. By the way, which speakers are you using?

Ha! I actually had a quick panic attack after I placed the order and realized I never measured my elevator! Then my heart rate slowed when I realized the few really long pieces were so light I could just carry them up the stairs if need be (I only live on 4th floor thankfully).

I went with the 1010 T-slot rather than the Quickframe, so buying shorter pieces would have added complexity to the build with more access holes, connectors, etc. Plus I assume the structure wouldn't have been as rigid as if the long pieces were not one solid piece (important to me since the structure will be holding about 50 pounds of speakers as well).

Not to hijack the thread but I am using Def Techs that I purchased about 4 years ago (the CL2002 that I dont think is made anymore as a center, and the SM450s as L/R). After I'm done with the screen I need to figure out how to treat the room for acoustics and how to nicely darken the walls/ceilings/floors that are around the moveable screen.

Btw for your "smaller" pieces, did you have 8020 cut to length or did you cut it yourself? I didn't have a saw (or a place) to do the cutting, so paid the company to do it and it cost a bundle due to all the cuts I needed. When I think about it, shipping, plus cuts and access holes/tappings drove about 2/3rds of the screen cost
post #6 of 9 Old 12-25-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS View Post

I am thinking of building my own screen after being somewhat dissatisfied with the pull down screens that I own. I started with Da-lite model B 106" matte white and then Draper Luma 120" High Contrast Gray.

My main issue is waves. It's not bad, but I do watch hockey and I can see them pretty clearly, especially during camera movement across the ice, and it's distracting (more so on the Draper). During most movies, that is not an issue though unless there is panning on a very light image.

A very common complaint

Quote:
Living in New York City, I don't really have a work area or many tools. Don't have a car to bring materials home, so not sure if I can even make my own screen. Sintra seems like a common approach here, but I don't know how I would get it home.

Is there anyone here in NYC who has has built a screen and can recommend some suppliers?

Delivery is an option, depending upon Screen size...but painting seems a very practical option.

Quote:
Or maybe I can mail order a frame that comes apart and use some material to stretch on it?

You might not want to go there....a Cloth or Fabric screen must be done right, or you'll be back to where you were looking at wrinkles or waves.

Quote:
Painting a wall is possible, just hope my landlord doesn't find out!

The good thing about painting the wall, you can paint back over it after you decide to move on. Any "Fixed" or retractable Screen will still need to be hung, so some degree of repairing holes will ne necessary. Rolling on a well chosen paint it pretty easy, and after you re-cover the screen, what Landlord would take you to task for bothering to make the room look better? Leona maybe.

Quote:
I guess I can also buy a fixed screen from Visual Apex or Jamestown. Visual Apex offers just a white screen material and during the day the living is a not very dark, even though the windows are covered.

Well White is out then....you need at least some degree of a Gray shaded surface.

Quote:
I have an Epson 8350, but will be upgrading to a 3D projector within the year. Sitting 12.5 feet away from screen and projector about 13' away from screen.

Any suggestions?

Obviously, excluding the wave issue, the High Contrast Gray screen must perform better so that answer is already provided. Another aspect to consider...when you upgrade to a newer PJ, a new screen ideally suited to your situation and PJ is just another can of paint away.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #7 of 9 Old 12-25-2011, 07:19 PM

8020 identified a distributor in Jersey. Yep, had a spec sheet filled out for them including the number of total cuts they needed to make. I believe the company is called Knotts. Great people to deal with and the order ships fast using UPS ground.

When ordering (both the 8020 and sintra), you'll have to specify your a local joe trying to make a home theatre. I'm finding that these companies typically deal with commercial clients more so than guys off the street. When asked how many sheets I needed, they were taken back by the response of 'just one please'.

Either way, having the vendors precut the 8020 and sintra definitely helps. MM is right, they have all the expensive tooling and it's easiest to leave that type of stuff to the guys who deal with this on a daily basis.

I have no idea how I'd start to cut a straight line on sintra

I have ProMonitors and ProCenter DefTech's all around, and will be wall mounting and routing cables behind walls. I've got a lot of weekends planned for this project. ..
post #8 of 9 Old 12-30-2011, 08:54 AM

I am in the middle of finishing my basement and building a diy projector screen. I live on long island in massapequa not far from westbury. Where can you get sintra in westbury?
Also does anyone have instructions or a good link to share on building a new sintra screen?

Thanks in advance nick
post #9 of 9 Old 12-30-2011, 11:41 AM

There's a Laird Plastics shop behind Westbury Toyota. Do you know what size and aspect ratio you want your screen to be?

123 Frost St # 1
Westbury, NY 11590-5027
(516) 334-1124

Since I have an 80/20 frame I'm using gaffer tape to mount the screen to the frame and using french cleats to mount the frame to the wall. If I were to do it again, I'd figure out a way to just mount the sintra directly to the wall and call it a day.

What do you mean by buidling a screen? There are many threads dedicated to style, function and quality of framing screens. Sintra is best served painted, based on the specs of your room and projector. Describe your situation on that SilverFire thread and let MM provide you the correct mix.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page