Thoughts on adding cylindrical curve? Experiences? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-25-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I work my matte white formica into a true matte finish (more later...) my mind drifted off into various mounting strategies. It's very easy to build-in a curve to the screen-mount as the panel is semi-rigid and doesn't need tensioning. I'm using a full 48 x 96 panel and keeping it at 2:1.

For typical 16:9 content and the special-treat mini-IMAX zoom-fillers, is it a significant enough improvement in center-to-corner focus and overall geometry to warrant the little extra effort? Projector is an Epson 8350. Very happy with its price/performance.

As for as the Formica, it's OK. In its raw state it's got a bit of sheen in its textures surface. It behaves like a higher-gain screen and as such has some hot-spotting and a granular shimmer in bright areas. I could live with it...You just haven't lived until you've hand-sanded 32 square feet of textured melamine to a velvet-smooth surface! I did start with a random-orbit sander but it's too loud for the apartment and hand-sanding with a block gives me a lot more control (and time to evaluate the results.) I figure it's a near-bulletproof screen, it's certainly eating up the wet-n-dry paper. Wet-sanding, by the way.