A bit overwhelmed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-26-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have lurked off and on here for years, first time poster. Ok basically I am a bit overwhelmed and impressed by all the research and knowledge on this forum. But I'm having trouble coming up with a straight answer on what type of screen I should paint. Thought it might be easier to just post my exact setup and what I hope to achieve.

I recently purchased an Optoma Hd20, got it a few days ago. I had an Infocus X1 years ago and just painted a flat white brick on the wall and projected movies. But I've gotten a little pickier since then, especially now that I've gone hd.

Alright, my situation. Projector will be ceiling mounted in my living room with a throw of about 12 to 13 feet, giving me about a 110 to 120 inch screen if I've got it calculated right. I will be able to completely black out the windows. Room is painted a medium tan, with white ceilings, and dark hardwood floors. So not a huge ambient light problem, but I understand there is reflected ambient light to deal with from the white ceiling and what not. Viewing distance is same as throw with it mounted right over the main couch, with some seating pretty well off axis.

Now, my viewing habits. Will be hooked up to my PS3 for dvd, blu-ray, and Netflix watching. I am a huge horror fan, probably 75 percent of my collection is horror so black levels are very important, so I was thinking I should go with a gray screen. However, though I don't want to sacrifice all the "pop" of bright movies like Pixar, Wizard of Oz things like that. Though I do understand I will lose some.

So I was thinking of going with the Black Widow mix based on its simplicity and some of the screen shots I've seen. I'm not sure I have the skill or the patience for more complicated mixes like Silver Fire. Also will just be painted on my wall which is just plain drywall.

Thanks in advance for any help and expert opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

No feedback yet? Well anyway it looks like the AAA will be a little hard to come by where I live and I am hoping to get started on my screen first of next week. So I am thinking about the Behr Silverscreen with pearlescent like the one that joeykissimmee did. His youtube videos are impressive. I know yall said the WOP is discontinued so will any white pearlescent paint do. I have a Lowe's and Home Depot close to my house. But no hobby store, our Hobby Lobby closed. Also saw that some mixes added a silver metallic. Still not sure what to do. So all advice welcome.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 PM

Liked: 11
You can obtain some of the materials 24/7 from dick blick dot com.
IMHO would goto lowes and have them mix up "veil" from glidden. Then roll it and enjoy using the material from menards that pb posted about on here as a substrate.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-28-2011, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. Bookmarked site for future screen attempts. I was really trying to find out what the most tried and true mixture of what I can find locally at Lowe's or HD would be. There are many conflicting opinions and some of these threads are several years old so I don't know if there is something better and easier I'm missing. Was wanting to have some people over by next weekend is why I'm going with what I can find locally. I'm sure this will not be my last screen, I will probably tinker with it for quite sometime, maybe even attempting some of the really complicated mixes. Right now just trying to get a good screen up on the wall. Thanks again.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM

I edited my post above. Should help ya a little more.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-28-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPassenger View Post

Thank you for the reply. Bookmarked site for future screen attempts. I was really trying to find out what the most tried and true mixture of what I can find locally at Lowe's or HD would be. There are many conflicting opinions and some of these threads are several years old so I don't know if there is something better and easier I'm missing. Was wanting to have some people over by next weekend is why I'm going with what I can find locally. I'm sure this will not be my last screen, I will probably tinker with it for quite sometime, maybe even attempting some of the really complicated mixes. Right now just trying to get a good screen up on the wall. Thanks again.

The absolutely easiest way is the way I described to you. Have Lowes mix up a quart of glidden veil. Tape off a 16:9 ratio area like 46x80 on your wall. Paint it. Let it dry. Then setup your pj in low lamp mode (if available, maybe be called ECON or something to that affect) using a thx calibration disc (if you have one (comes with movies like t2) or any calibration discs). Pour a beer and enjoy.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-29-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again! I may do just that for now, just to get a screen up on the wall, while I figure out what I want to do for a more permanent solution. I didn't know about the Veil color, missed it in all my reading. It looks really close to the Silver Screen, so I figure one is as good as the other? Also do I understand right, that I should have this mixed in Flat Enamel? Seems like I remember reading that the Enamel gives some gain to the screen.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 PM

Valspar ultra interior latex paint in egg shell prolly just a quart. Pick up some kilz2 primer as well. Tape. Prime. Paint. Watch. The paint will put you at neutral gray.
You don't want gain. You want to reduce your fl (foot lamberts) otherwise you'll burn your eyes out.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonsky View Post

You don't want gain. You want to reduce your fl (foot lamberts) otherwise you'll burn your eyes out.

I don't think that's really a problem. If the screen is 120" that's about 43 square feet. Even in high lamp the HD20 is putting out 700 lumens in best mode. That's about 16 ftL with a 1.0 gain screen: perfect. I'll agree he doesn't need to worry about gain in high lamp, but High lamp on the HD20 is supposed to be pretty noisy. I'll assume normal lamp is around 75% of high, that's down to 12 ftL. With a brand new bulb. Perfectly acceptable, but on the low side.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-30-2011, 05:01 PM

My bad. Over looked OP mentioning of sizes.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. And you are right about high lamp mode on the HD20. I have fired it up just pointed at a wall and high lamp mode is harsh and noisy. You said even in high lamp mode I'm putting out about 700 lumens. I've noticed this in other threads, why is the HD20 quoted at 1700 lumens if that's not what it puts out even in brightest mode? I've noticed this about other projectors too.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPassenger View Post

Thanks for all the help. And you are right about high lamp mode on the HD20. I have fired it up just pointed at a wall and high lamp mode is harsh and noisy. You said even in high lamp mode I'm putting out about 700 lumens. I've noticed this in other threads, why is the HD20 quoted at 1700 lumens if that's not what it puts out even in brightest mode? I've noticed this about other projectors too.

Same reason contrast ratios are listed at 1 million to one for tvs; numbers sell.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-02-2012, 03:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Mfg stated Lumens are measured using a reference "White" or Solid Color.

Actual User Lumens are based on Calibrated modes.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page